Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    finny11122 wrote: »
    Hollistic approach is great and has helped people for thousands of years .
    Modern medicine also has it's place and has helped countless people .
    What's wrong is someone jumping down someone's throat because they shared with the world an approach that worked for them . The PC brigrades and the strongly worded letter types are always waiting in the internet shadows ready to pounce on someone .
    Do and enjoy what works for you and makes you healthy and happy .

Making up fake diagnoses and therefore curing fake diagnoses isn't "sharing with the world an approach that worked for them".

I agree. that would be like putting your symptoms into google and looking for what it could be instead of seeing a dr ,and the diagnosis being some serious disease and then asking for certain meds for said disease that you may or may not have. or trying to treat it yourself.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    What school are you going to, and where is it located?

I'm studying at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition. I am aware that this is not the best way to educate myself on Nutrition and I'm very aware of the difference between a dietitian and nutritionist. If I had the option, I definitely would've chosen to go the dietitian way, but I don't have that option right now. What led me to this area of study is the fact that I've always been skeptical of some of the treatment methods followed by western medical doctors.

I grew up with a myriad of health issues that worsened after following a standard american diet and being extremely stressed in my day-to-day life. After going to multiple doctors who prescribed me the same medication each time I went in, I developed horrible side effects and hip/joint pain at the age of 15. I decided to go off all meds, and the hip pain magically disappeared. A few years later, while doing some research, I find that the medication I was taking was linked to reduced absorption of calcium and increased risk of bone fractures. Fast forward 1 year, I did some blood tests and I find out I'm severely deficient in vitamin b12. The doctor who is supposed to care about a patient's health didn't even bother to give me b12 shots so I had to go find someone else to do it for me or take heavy doses of oral b12 myself which gave me unpleasant effects. I did some research once again because it didn't make sense that a teenager who's never been vegan her whole life would be deficient in a nutrient the body doesn't need much of to begin with. Coincidentally I found a link between the medication I was taking and Anemia. This is all anecdotal evidence so obviously there might have been other factors coming into play when I went off the medication such as my poor diet or lack of physical activity.

The fatalities and side effects of various drugs are under-reported. Pharmaceutical companies as well as the food industry pays big money to keep information hidden from the public. The long term effects of certain food, drug, and environmental agents have not been reported YET because we're still in the relatively early stages of exposure. We'll need at least another 20 years to conclude that certain chemicals are indeed carcinogenic or produce autoimmune responses in the body. I'm not saying western medicine is the source of all evils. They've saved millions of people and increased the general life span of the population. I just wish they were more open minded about nutrition's role in health and cared about their patients more rather than giving an antibiotic prescription for every ache and pain or just sending you off with these wonderful words: "If you feel like dying, just go to the hospital." This is literally what one doctor told me instead of giving me advice on how to avoid that situation. I've decided I'm probably better off taking control of my own health.

Citation needed.

Also, I don't know that many medical professionals would poo poo a treatment that had PROVABLE positive results. The problem with most holistic remedies is that many are based on feelings and subjective data rather than objective observations.

In fact it's quite the other way around from the info I got from people on here. It gets reported even if there's no indication that it was caused by the drug at all.

If you have seen drug commercials they have to say every possible side effect. One of the drugs has lymphoma listed as a side effect and with a little research I discovered that it has been less than 10 people in millions who take it and you can't prove if it's correlation or causation

Holidays to the US always leave me with a feeling of amusement and horror that drugs are advertised on the TV but the never ending list of side effects they have to disclose in the adverts is hilarious.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    What school are you going to, and where is it located?

I'm studying at the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition. I am aware that this is not the best way to educate myself on Nutrition and I'm very aware of the difference between a dietitian and nutritionist. If I had the option, I definitely would've chosen to go the dietitian way, but I don't have that option right now. What led me to this area of study is the fact that I've always been skeptical of some of the treatment methods followed by western medical doctors.

I grew up with a myriad of health issues that worsened after following a standard american diet and being extremely stressed in my day-to-day life. After going to multiple doctors who prescribed me the same medication each time I went in, I developed horrible side effects and hip/joint pain at the age of 15. I decided to go off all meds, and the hip pain magically disappeared. A few years later, while doing some research, I find that the medication I was taking was linked to reduced absorption of calcium and increased risk of bone fractures. Fast forward 1 year, I did some blood tests and I find out I'm severely deficient in vitamin b12. The doctor who is supposed to care about a patient's health didn't even bother to give me b12 shots so I had to go find someone else to do it for me or take heavy doses of oral b12 myself which gave me unpleasant effects. I did some research once again because it didn't make sense that a teenager who's never been vegan her whole life would be deficient in a nutrient the body doesn't need much of to begin with. Coincidentally I found a link between the medication I was taking and Anemia. This is all anecdotal evidence so obviously there might have been other factors coming into play when I went off the medication such as my poor diet or lack of physical activity.

The fatalities and side effects of various drugs are under-reported. Pharmaceutical companies as well as the food industry pays big money to keep information hidden from the public. The long term effects of certain food, drug, and environmental agents have not been reported YET because we're still in the relatively early stages of exposure. We'll need at least another 20 years to conclude that certain chemicals are indeed carcinogenic or produce autoimmune responses in the body. I'm not saying western medicine is the source of all evils. They've saved millions of people and increased the general life span of the population. I just wish they were more open minded about nutrition's role in health and cared about their patients more rather than giving an antibiotic prescription for every ache and pain or just sending you off with these wonderful words: "If you feel like dying, just go to the hospital." This is literally what one doctor told me instead of giving me advice on how to avoid that situation. I've decided I'm probably better off taking control of my own health.

Citation needed.

Also, I don't know that many medical professionals would poo poo a treatment that had PROVABLE positive results. The problem with most holistic remedies is that many are based on feelings and subjective data rather than objective observations.

In fact it's quite the other way around from the info I got from people on here. It gets reported even if there's no indication that it was caused by the drug at all.

If you have seen drug commercials they have to say every possible side effect. One of the drugs has lymphoma listed as a side effect and with a little research I discovered that it has been less than 10 people in millions who take it and you can't prove if it's correlation or causation

Holidays to the US always leave me with a feeling of amusement and horror that drugs are advertised on the TV but the never ending list of side effects they have to disclose in the adverts is hilarious.

Ha, I totally agree! My husband and I just sit there looking at each other and wondering "Why would you ever take this drug?? Why would a doctor ever prescribe it??"
This discussion has been closed.