Clearly CICO has no bearing on my recent weight loss

Options
I am a 51yo with a strong family history of Celiac Disease, and saw so many things change for the better once I dropped gluten. No more migraines, better sleep, no sugar cravings and better moods in general.

After a month of eating what I want sans gluten, I am down 6 pounds and find my clothing is significantly baggier - I have dropped a jean size in four weeks! So while MFP suggested me keeping my calories down to 1200 to meet a 20 pound weight loss goal, I am eating hundreds more each day and losing at a healthy pace.

Logic would have it that by watching sugar, eating enough protein and choosing healthy carbs for the most part, my body is shedding fat with no need for restrictive caloric intake. I do not have a perfect diet by any stretch, but my body seems to respond better to letting go of the extra pounds since I kicked gluten from my diet.

So after following outdated and restrictive weight loss paths, I have finally found the one way to lose the stubborn pounds that refused to budge. Just wanted to post for anyone frustrated by watching the calories like a hawk, only to see no real progress for their trouble.

Replies

• sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I'm interested in learning a little more about your circumstances if you're willing to share.

How many calories do you need to consume to maintain your weight (based on your weight, height, age, activity level) and how many have you been logging each day? Or more importantly, what are the net calories you have been logging each day?
  • 90Ibs
    90Ibs Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Low-carb diets is the basic idea behind keto diets (long story short, foods with healthy fats supposedly increase metabolism), so what you're saying isn't new, although there's no end-goal difference between keto diets and high carb low fat diets. It doesn't negate CICO, because you're absolutely still at a caloric deficit. If you ate over your TDEE, you'd gain weight no matter what diet you're on.
  • 90Ibs
    90Ibs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

If you ate over TDEE you'd gain weight. BMR is just the calories your body burns in order to live.
    Oops sorry yeah that's what I meant, I'm having a slow brain day.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    90Ibs wrote: »
    Low-carb diets is the basic idea behind keto diets (long story short, foods with healthy fats supposedly increase metabolism), so what you're saying isn't new, although there's no end-goal difference between keto diets and high carb low fat diets. It doesn't negate CICO, because you're absolutely still at a caloric deficit. If you ate over your BMR, you'd gain weight no matter what diet you're on.

I think you mean TDEE - total daily energy expenditure. BMR is your basal metabolic rate, how many calories you burn just being alive, basically in a coma. I eat over my BMR every day. Losing weight just fine, because I eat under my TDEE.