Clearly CICO has no bearing on my recent weight loss

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    Low-carb alone isnt it, low carb high fat is where the best results will come from, because fats are not converted to glucose.

False, fats can absolutely be converted to glucose through glucenogenisis. During the process two glycerol molecules combine after the fatty acids are oxidized.

And as for your previous statement regarding metabolic advantage... that has been through around the lchf for quite some time, all driven by poorly designed studies that don't control protein intakes of which protein does have a metabolic advantage. Its one of the things evaulated in the kevin halls studies, where calories and protein were equated for.

OP, you have a autoimmune disease. Eating gluten will MAY cause severe inflammation driving a host of responses from that. If you want a comparison, it needs to be equated for that.

FIFY
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    This is the least restrictive method to lose weight.

You are still clearly eating in a calorie deficit to lose weight, there is no defying that fact it comes down to a calorie deficit. Can't lose weight without being in one. Good for you for finding something that worked for you!

There is a big difference between "MUST lose in a calorie deficit" and "can't lose unless you have a calorie deficit". The 1st statement is a fact, then second, not as much so. If the second were true, then no weight loss drugs would ever work and I do think there are some out there that do work, maybe with really bad side effects, but it shows that it can be possible to lose some without the CICO calculated deficits.

Those pills that really do help are amphetamines. They reduce appetite and cause restlessness. CICO.

Yes, appetite suppressants.

The other sort that do work ( if you can put up with the side effects) are the sort that interfere with fat absorption. So you can eat more and your body does not absorb the calories from the fat content - therefore, of course, the fat content is eliminated in your faeces - it has to go somewhere, it doesn't just vanish.
    Super smelly incontinent poo explosions - but, sure, you lose weight.
    And obviously this doesn't negate CICO - as calories in is reduced. The same way it is in diseases like chrohn s disease or coeliac disease where the person cannot absorb some types of food.

Alli and Adult diapers FTW
  • Lesscookies
    Lesscookies Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You're still eating at a deficit so cico still applies calories in vs calories out. MyFitnessPal has 1200 as the minimum for a lady for a guy it's 1500. But you don't have to eat at 1500 calories and losing 2 pounds every week is a pretty aggressive goal. I'm glad you found an eating technique that works for you which is helping you shed weight. Regardless if someone is eating vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, gluten free, or junk food the same rules applies eating less than what you're eating will help you lose weight.

Congrats on finding a method that works for you!!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    A rose by any other name...........et al
    Bottom line, it is still eating less calories than you are burning. How you arrive there and what you call it may be different, but it is still eating less calories than you burn.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    In 2010 I set out to lose some weight. I honestly don't know what my scale weight was (I'm thinking somewhere around 193, but I avoided the scale then like the plague). This was WAY before I ever knew MFP, calorie counting, macros, etc even existed.

I lost weight basically by working on my bad habits. But losing those habits and replacing them with good habits STILL impacted CICO even if I didn't "count" a single calorie. I lost 20lbs before I started to level out. I found MFP to keep losing and to figure out why the loss at stopped.

OP, I'm so happy you found a way to lose weight - but I do caution you, it will level out. I have no idea how overweight you are, but if you only lost 6lbs and dropped a jean size you are probably small already (I lost in the 50lbs range, but needed to keep increasing my deficit to see progress near the end). 6lbs is great, and I'm glad you are feeling good, but EVERY way you lose weight takes CICO to count. You could low carb, high fat, high protein, etc - you are still balancing CICO.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »

You are still clearly eating in a calorie deficit to lose weight, there is no defying that fact it comes down to a calorie deficit. Can't lose weight without being in one. Good for you for finding something that worked for you!

There is a big difference between "MUST lose in a calorie deficit" and "can't lose unless you have a calorie deficit". The 1st statement is a fact, then second, not as much so. If the second were true, then no weight loss drugs would ever work and I do think there are some out there that do work, maybe with really bad side effects, but it shows that it can be possible to lose some without the CICO calculated deficits.

Those pills that really do help are amphetamines. They reduce appetite and cause restlessness. CICO.

Don't they also tend to damage the heart? Or am I misremembering?

yes. that's why they had to pull the OG Hydroxicut off shelves, and new Hydroxicut is just caffeine and capsaicine, like every other diet pill.

Although innovative folks with high to moderate risk tolerance can still get all the ingredients.

For the record, I lost 30 lbs in 30 days with the stack that was in the OG Hydroxicut. And kept it off for nearly 2 years.

If it wasn't
    1. Risky
    2. tested for and expressly prohibited by my employer.

I might consider doing the regimen again. but between the health and legal risk, it's simply not worth it to me.

yeah, i don't think there was much doubt that it worked. I lost a fair chunck of weight on it as well when I was in the military, right around the time it was banned as a matter of fact.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Plus, there's no doubt an increase in NEAT when you no longer feel miserable from the bloating etc caused by the gluten intolerance. Moving about more incidentally can be a surprisingly large contributor to calorie needs.

yes. Celiac can cause a tremendous amount of fatigue along with the painful bloating too (as in: just ate wheat- can barely make it to the couch before dropping to the floor levels of fatigue).

Starchy carbs are also 1 of the things that people are really, really bad at estimating portions for (so if you weren't actually weighing out your food before, your calorie intake may have decreased significantly without realizing it).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »
    FWIW, my husband was diagnosed with Celiac a couple of years ago after years of delaying going to a doctor. After the official diagnosis and finally being able to eat without being sick he actually gained 30 pounds going gluten free. It took me convincing him to count calories before he was able to lose that 30 pounds.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine who was diagnosed as an adult (although she was too thin when diagnosed due to years of health issues before diagnosis, so the gain was part of regaining her health).

Re OP, most people don't need to eat 1200 to lose and that you got that goal from MFP doesn't mean you did, or are losing without a deficit now.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I was all set to make a snarky comment, but WOW, this post has sparked some really interesting conversations. I love it!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    FWIW, my husband was diagnosed with Celiac a couple of years ago after years of delaying going to a doctor. After the official diagnosis and finally being able to eat without being sick he actually gained 30 pounds going gluten free. It took me convincing him to count calories before he was able to lose that 30 pounds.

Yeah, that happened to me too. I lost some weight when I was first diagnosed, because I was afraid to eat anything that wasn't plain meat, veg or fruit prepared by me. Then I discovered the gluten-free section of the grocery store, and started eating my way through the cookies and muffins. If it was gluten free I felt obligated to eat it. :(

Back when I was diagnosed, there wasn't really a gluten free section of the grocery store, but I made sure to order gluten free flours and cook books off the internet and tried ALL the recipes.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Yeah, that happened to me too. I lost some weight when I was first diagnosed, because I was afraid to eat anything that wasn't plain meat, veg or fruit prepared by me. Then I discovered the gluten-free section of the grocery store, and started eating my way through the cookies and muffins. If it was gluten free I felt obligated to eat it. :(

Back when I was diagnosed, there wasn't really a gluten free section of the grocery store, but I made sure to order gluten free flours and cook books off the internet and tried ALL the recipes.

I was only diagnosed about 7 years ago, so I was able to take advantage of the gf fad just getting in full swing. My cousin who was diagnosed in the mid-70s ended up rail-thin because there weren't many alternatives and she couldn't eat most of what her family ate.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

any weight loss pill that actually worked would be affecting the "CO" side of the equation, so you'd still be in a deficit while eating calories that would normally be maintenance level.

Been reading about a drug that was developed to treat diabetes but has weight loss properties. It reduces your appetite by imitating GLP-1. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semaglutide