Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,029 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    This is the least restrictive method to lose weight.

You are still clearly eating in a calorie deficit to lose weight, there is no defying that fact it comes down to a calorie deficit. Can't lose weight without being in one. Good for you for finding something that worked for you!

There is a big difference between "MUST lose in a calorie deficit" and "can't lose unless you have a calorie deficit". The 1st statement is a fact, then second, not as much so. If the second were true, then no weight loss drugs would ever work and I do think there are some out there that do work, maybe with really bad side effects, but it shows that it can be possible to lose some without the CICO calculated deficits.

any weight loss pill that actually worked would be affecting the "CO" side of the equation, so you'd still be in a deficit while eating calories that would normally be maintenance level.

Been reading about a drug that was developed to treat diabetes but has weight loss properties. It reduces your appetite by imitating GLP-1. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semaglutide

I think that is the medication marketed in Australia under the brand name Saxenda. Not on PBS for weight loss so quite pricey here.

However, obviously, it does not negate CICO - it reduces appetite and food cravings - hence reduces CI.

( either that or price of it means you can't afford to buy food as well ) *

* joke.

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Math? Not a thing.

Thermodynamics? Not a thing.

Laws of energy conservation? Not a thing.

Gluten-free? You might be on to something there......

If there is more gluconeogenesis doing LC or IF, then thermodynamics demands there be a metabolic advantage doing those things. Any process, including gluconeogensis ins't 100% efficient in energy conversion, so that alone proves that what you eat and possibly when you eat does make a difference.

Look at long-term results.

Long term results are the accumulation of short terms results and if IF and LC have short term results and are adhered to in the long term, you will get long term results doing them.

Yes, and in the long term, the reduced efficiency balances out with the generally lower energy level caused by LC.

So it seems to me you just acknowledged that it does make LC or IF does make a difference at least in the short term.
  • blambo61
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Math? Not a thing.

Thermodynamics? Not a thing.

Laws of energy conservation? Not a thing.

Gluten-free? You might be on to something there......

If there is more gluconeogenesis doing LC or IF, then thermodynamics demands there be a metabolic advantage doing those things. Any process, including gluconeogensis ins't 100% efficient in energy conversion, so that alone proves that what you eat and possibly when you eat does make a difference.

Look at long-term results.

Long term results are the accumulation of short terms results and if IF and LC have short term results and are adhered to in the long term, you will get long term results doing them.

Except in the long term LC has no advantage over other woe with the same calorie deficit.

I asked some questions and you completely ignored them. What do you base your statement on?

Low fat has the advantage. Get over it, read and weep
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28193517
    "While low-carbohydrate diets have been suggested to partially subvert these processes by increasing energy expenditure and promoting fat loss, our meta-analysis of 32 controlled feeding studies with isocaloric substitution of carbohydrate for fat found that both energy expenditure (26 kcal/d; P <.0001) and fat loss (16 g/d; P <.0001) were greater with lower fat diets. "
    gr2.jpg

I'm not a LC person, I'm just discussing weather LC or IF makes a difference or not. I like my carbs and I eat carbs. So no weeping here. The studies are interesting. I would like to look at them sometime if I can find the time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,500 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    This is the least restrictive method to lose weight.

You are still clearly eating in a calorie deficit to lose weight, there is no defying that fact it comes down to a calorie deficit. Can't lose weight without being in one. Good for you for finding something that worked for you!

There is a big difference between "MUST lose in a calorie deficit" and "can't lose unless you have a calorie deficit". The 1st statement is a fact, then second, not as much so. If the second were true, then no weight loss drugs would ever work and I do think there are some out there that do work, maybe with really bad side effects, but it shows that it can be possible to lose some without the CICO calculated deficits.

any weight loss pill that actually worked would be affecting the "CO" side of the equation, so you'd still be in a deficit while eating calories that would normally be maintenance level.

People who say you can't lose more than CICO predicts will lump those losses to more CO, but is the CO based on a metabolic need to support the activity and bmr or is the fat just released (with a possible raise in body temp that is independent of workload) without a need for it to be released?

Minor technical quibble: CICO doesn't predict, at least not in the sense of predicting that any specific person will lose a specific amount at a specific calculated calorie level. Two people of the same size, age, and sex may lose at different rates on the same calorie level, with the same activities.

CICO merely posits a central role for calorie balance: That I will lose, maintain or gain when I eat below, above, or exactly at my own personal, idiosyncratic calorie level. You can't predict this calorie level with reliable precision. You can estimate it with a fairly large potential range of error, or determine it experimentally with closer accuracy.

I eat several hundred calories more daily than any calculator says I can, and my weight stays consistent. (This is true, not a theoretical proposition.)

Some less fortunate people have to eat several hundred calories less than calculators predict, to maintain the same weight.

In neither case is CICO violated, nor are the laws of physics.

In the example you use, a raise in body temp is an increase in CO. It's also "work". Energy is being burned. In my example, perhaps one reason some people burn slightly more calories is that they have a slightly higher than average body temperature. ;) (Body temp isn't exactly the same for everyone, either.)

Of course people have different BMR levels, that doesn't mean LC or IF don't make a difference and cause more calories to be used. Work is a unit of energy but is usually reserved for mechanical motion. Heat is also energy. Energy isn't burned. Energy transitions from one form to another and some of the energy that is available for work (enthalpy) always decreases with each transition (increase in entropy) if I remember thermodynamics correctly.

I agree that I phrased that poorly.

The main underlying question, though, is when you say "People who say you can't lose more than CICO predicts will lump those losses to more CO", what do you mean by "more than CICO predicts"? What, or in what way, does CICO predict?
    davidylin wrote: »
    I knew a person that once lost 30 pounds while eating whatever he wanted. CICO is a lie, just like his phantom limb pain!

CICO isn't a lie, we all obey thermodynamics, CICO just isn't the whole energy equation. CO really needs a clear definition. Excretion isn't part of the CICO equation but there are some calories lost that way.

I don't know whether there's a precise definition, but calories lost by excretion are clearly either calories out, or never count as calories in (along with other undigested/undigestible material). In practical terms, it doesn't really matter.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,466 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Some people with celiacs also have other problems and cannot absorb nutrients like others. Which means those people might be undereating involuntarily by just eating a lot of food their body does not absorb properly. Just another possibility.

edit: oh, just 6 pounds? That's water weight or just a bit of bloating for most. Forgot what I wrote above.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,029 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, yirara that is what I meant before - weight loss pills which mean you can't absorb fat or diseases which mean you cant absorb certain foods, eg Crohns disease or coleiac disease.

I would call this reducing calories in - you aren't burning more, you are not absorbing them in the first place.
    They go through your digestive system unabsorbed

But, semantics really.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    MFP suggests calorie target based on your weight loss rate, not your weight loss goal. Pick a too aggressive goal, and you get the lowest MFP will go.

Could it be that eating enough is what stopped migraines and cravings, improved sleep and mood?

Eating at a moderate deficit, and a balanced diet, is exactly what people in here recommend, every day.

Sticking to a calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight. Eating so little that you can't stick to it, is extremely common, but it does not invalidate CICO.

Do YOU have celiac disease? Keep in mind that restricting foods is not easy in the log run, it just seems so simple in the beginning.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    Low-carb alone isnt it, low carb high fat is where the best results will come from, because fats are not converted to glucose.

False, fats can absolutely be converted to glucose through glucenogenisis. During the process two glycerol molecules combine after the fatty acids are oxidized.

And as for your previous statement regarding metabolic advantage... that has been through around the lchf for quite some time, all driven by poorly designed studies that don't control protein intakes of which protein does have a metabolic advantage. Its one of the things evaulated in the kevin halls studies, where calories and protein were equated for.

OP, you have a autoimmune disease. Eating gluten will MAY cause severe inflammation driving a host of responses from that. If you want a comparison, it needs to be equated for that.

FIFY

If a person is celiac and eats gluten, there is no may, it will. When a person consumes gluten with celiac disease, it attacks their small intestine. So you will have an inflammatory response from it.

Except that celiac is one of thousands of autoimmune conditions. most of which have nothing to do with gluten, and thus your statement was ambiguous.

Finally, having reread her OP, there's no clinical evidence she has celiac... merely a family history.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Well, yes, yirara that is what I meant before - weight loss pills which mean you can't absorb fat or diseases which mean you cant absorb certain foods, eg Crohns disease or coleiac disease.

I would call this reducing calories in - you aren't burning more, you are not absorbing them in the first place.
    They go through your digest

It is semantics but it matters in these discussions.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    Nixi3Knox wrote: »
    Calories In and Calories out. This is a point of massive controversy here, because what way have we of actually knowing for sure our Calories OUT? Unless a person gets appropriate testing to determine this calorie out put. Further, it may not be simply all about the calories if any kind of medical situation is at play.

Surely if there is a medical situation it's still something that affects calories in or calories out, either by meddling with a persons metabolic rate or their ability to absorb certain nutrients.

It's all approximates when it comes to Calories In and Calories Out but you can still get a pretty decent idea of what they are. I know what my Calories Out is for a normal day because I have been able to successfully maintain my weight over periods of time by eating the amount equal to what I burn.