Options

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Math? Not a thing.

Thermodynamics? Not a thing.

Laws of energy conservation? Not a thing.

Gluten-free? You might be on to something there......

If there is more gluconeogenesis doing LC or IF, then thermodynamics demands there be a metabolic advantage doing those things. Any process, including gluconeogensis ins't 100% efficient in energy conversion, so that alone proves that what you eat and possibly when you eat does make a difference.

Understood. Obviously we are not machines with steady inputs and outputs. The machine parts are constantly changing and of course, energy use and needs vary constantly. The issues you bring up, which have validity, are minor compared to the declaration of the original poster, who is talking about weight loss (paraphrasing) having nothing to do with CICO (unless of course the poster's weight loss is due entirely to water...). That's simply not the case. And can't be.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    High carb is not efficient for many either. Low carb may increase glucogenesis but if you are getting the mother load of glucose from carbs it is still much less than what you would get from amino acids being converted to glucose

I meant much more, not much less. I think it's bedtime. Goodnight all.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    This is the least restrictive method to lose weight.

You are still clearly eating in a calorie deficit to lose weight, there is no defying that fact it comes down to a calorie deficit. Can't lose weight without being in one. Good for you for finding something that worked for you!

There is a big difference between "MUST lose in a calorie deficit" and "can't lose unless you have a calorie deficit". The 1st statement is a fact, then second, not as much so. If the second were true, then no weight loss drugs would ever work and I do think there are some out there that do work, maybe with really bad side effects, but it shows that it can be possible to lose some without the CICO calculated deficits.

Those pills that really do help are amphetamines. They reduce appetite and cause restlessness. CICO.

Don't they also tend to damage the heart? Or am I misremembering?

yes it's meth pretty much lol
  • russelljam08
    russelljam08 Posts: 167 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Math? Not a thing.

If there is more gluconeogenesis doing LC or IF, then thermodynamics demands there be a metabolic advantage doing those things. Any process, including gluconeogensis ins't 100% efficient in energy conversion, so that alone proves that what you eat and possibly when you eat does make a difference.

Look at long-term results.

Long term results are the accumulation of short terms results and if IF and LC have short term results and are adhered to in the long term, you will get long term results doing them.

Except in the long term LC has no advantage over other woe with the same calorie deficit.

I asked some questions and you completely ignored them. What do you base your statement on?

Low fat has the advantage. Get over it, read and weep
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28193517
    "While low-carbohydrate diets have been suggested to partially subvert these processes by increasing energy expenditure and promoting fat loss, our meta-analysis of 32 controlled feeding studies with isocaloric substitution of carbohydrate for fat found that both energy expenditure (26 kcal/d; P <.0001) and fat loss (16 g/d; P <.0001) were greater with lower fat diets. "
    gr2.jpg
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    This is the least restrictive method to lose weight.

You are still clearly eating in a calorie deficit to lose weight, there is no defying that fact it comes down to a calorie deficit. Can't lose weight without being in one. Good for you for finding something that worked for you!

There is a big difference between "MUST lose in a calorie deficit" and "can't lose unless you have a calorie deficit". The 1st statement is a fact, then second, not as much so. If the second were true, then no weight loss drugs would ever work and I do think there are some out there that do work, maybe with really bad side effects, but it shows that it can be possible to lose some without the CICO calculated deficits.

Those pills that really do help are amphetamines. They reduce appetite and cause restlessness. CICO.

Don't they also tend to damage the heart? Or am I misremembering?

yes. that's why they had to pull the OG Hydroxicut off shelves, and new Hydroxicut is just caffeine and capsaicine, like every other diet pill.

Although innovative folks with high to moderate risk tolerance can still get all the ingredients.

For the record, I lost 30 lbs in 30 days with the stack that was in the OG Hydroxicut. And kept it off for nearly 2 years.

If it wasn't
    1. Risky
    2. tested for and expressly prohibited by my employer.

I might consider doing the regimen again. but between the health and legal risk, it's simply not worth it to me.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Math? Not a thing.

Look at long-term results.

Long term results are the accumulation of short terms results and if IF and LC have short term results and are adhered to in the long term, you will get long term results doing them.

Yes, and in the long term, the reduced efficiency balances out with the generally lower energy level caused by LC.