Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss

1111213141517»

Replies

• AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 20,301 Member Member, Premium Posts: 20,301 Member
    @Bella_Figura: Some great ideas in there! So nice that you have shopping options a pleasant walk away. When I lived closer to one, I often went for groceries and brought them home in a backpack, even fairly heavy ones since I had a suitable pack.

I really hear you on that stairs thing, BTW. I didn't even realize how I was "budgeting" trips up and down stairs until I lost weight, and it got easier. I do it much more often, now, whenever I want something up that's down, or vice-versa.
  • Bella_FiguraBella_Figura Member Posts: 263 Member Member Posts: 263 Member
    Having never had a garden before, I needed to buy a whole bunch of gardening tools when we moved to this house. So I bought a manual mower rather than an electric/petrol one, ditto shears, loppers and secateurs rather than an electic hedge trimmer and grass strimmer. I also water the garden using an 15 litre watering can (it's heavy!) rather than a hose. It takes me 10 full watering cans to water everything, so it's quite a lot of hefting. It also means I use water from the water butts, rather than tap water, which is environmentally better. So a win-win all round.
  • penguinmama87penguinmama87 Member, Premium Posts: 566 Member Member, Premium Posts: 566 Member
    Having never had a garden before, I needed to buy a whole bunch of gardening tools when we moved to this house. So I bought a manual mower rather than an electric/petrol one, ditto shears, loppers and secateurs rather than an electic hedge trimmer and grass strimmer. I also water the garden using an 15 litre watering can (it's heavy!) rather than a hose. It takes me 10 full watering cans to water everything, so it's quite a lot of hefting. It also means I use water from the water butts, rather than tap water, which is environmentally better. So a win-win all round.

This is a great idea! My kids are forever leaving half-drunk water cups and bottles everywhere, so I usually round them up in the evening (I used to make them do it because: responsibility! but now I usually do it because: extra steps!) and dump them into a watering can for our plants. Beats wasting it by dumping it down the drain AND paying those few extra cents on our sewage bill.

I often find I prefer the manual tools to powered ones. I find them much more intuitive to use, anyway. Sometimes I need the strength of a powered tool, but rarely enough that I don't feel the need to own most of them. Or we own a few, and our neighbors own a few, and we can borrow each other's as needed rather than each having to buy and take care of something that gets used only a few times a year if that.