Cottage cheese??

dsboohead
dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
Not much of a fan of the stuff only because back in the day it was considered a "diet" food and thats how I relate.
I just need to think outside of the carton and get ideas from the forum how you eat it?

Replies

• sabal20
    sabal20 Posts: 39 Member
    edited November 2017
    I loooove cottage cheese. But it is definitely something I had to get used to.

On crackers
    With apple sticks
    On a jacket potato
    I use it as a replacement for natural yoghurt, not in things but with nuts or on fruit etc
    As a salad addition on the side (like hummus)
    Wraps or sandwiches with chicken/salad etc
    In place of sour cream with fajitas

Interested to hear other uses too.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    As I understand:

Cottage cheese is made by curdling milk with an acid, like vinegar, then pouring off some of he whey, leaving mostly curds. That's it! Ricotta cheese is very similar, except that "whole" ricotta has both cream and whole milk.

Thus these two products have pretty much the same nutrition as whatever is put into them. Low-fat versions have pretty much the same nutrition as low-fat milk. Still, good stuff to eat!

Yogurt, in comparison, is fermented using bacterial cultures for about a day, which alters the composition substantially. One thing is that the lactose is greatly reduced. Also a great food!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You might try this, from the famous MFP Cheesecake thread.

2 large, Eggs - Whole, raw
    0.25 tsp(s), Salt, table
    1 tsp(s), Vanilla extract
    2 scoops, Protein Powder- Vanilla
    250 g, 0% Pineapple-coconut-banana
    2 Cup,, Lowfat Cottage Cheese 1%
    0.25 cup (125ml), Unsweetened Apple Sauce
    30 g, Teddy Grahams Choclatey Chip

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 6.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 141
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 4 g 5 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 5 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 79 mg 26 %
    Sodium 515 mg 21 %
    Potassium 258 mg 7 %
    Total Carbohydrate 12 g 4 %
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 1 %
    Sugars 7 g
    Protein 15 g 31 %
    Vitamin A 13 %
    Vitamin C 9 %
    Calcium 14 %
    Iron 9 %

Steps.
    Throw your crackers into a food processor to make a crumb. Mix in with the apple sauce. Dump into the baking pan lines with parchment and spread. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes as you prep the rest.

Throw in all of you cottage cheese and yogurt into food processor, I used Vitamix, and pure until creamy and smooth. This will also bring the cheese and yogurt into room temp. After that add the rest of the ingredient and blend.

My version has two squares of Lindt 99% dark chocolate grated into the mix.

Pour on top of the now baked crust and bake as per the original (325F for 30min and then 225F for 60min if you are using my 6*3" pan).
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    I usually eat it plain, as a between meal snack or protein boost after the gym.

It can be used in a lot of ways, including as a replacement for other soft cheeses, sour cream, yogurt. Can be used to make dips and creamy sauces. I happen to like it on potatoes, either in baked or mixed with mashed.
  • dsboohead
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Why are you trying to like something you don't like?

Thinking if paired up with other things it could be enjoyable. Seeing others ideas makes it sound good. Plus....someone gave me a large carton of nonfat and want to utilize it.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Plain--love it.
  • mishelnkiki1
    mishelnkiki1 Posts: 87 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Not much of a fan of the stuff only because back in the day it was considered a "diet" food and thats how I relate.
    I just need to think outside of the carton and get ideas from the forum how you eat it?

Cottage cheese is my favorite! I eat it with EVERY THING. I put it on almost everything I eat. I dip stuff in it, I layer it on top of food. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
  • dsboohead

Cottage cheese is my favorite! I eat it with EVERY THING. I put it on almost everything I eat. I dip stuff in it, I layer it on top of food. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Wow....I have got to eat me some of the stuff now!!! :p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Thinking if paired up with other things it could be enjoyable. Seeing others ideas makes it sound good. Plus....someone gave me a large carton of nonfat and want to utilize it.

I've thought certain pairings sounded good, but I've never liked the stuff since my grandma used to feed it to me all the time when I was a kid. For me, it's really a texture thing and no pairing is going to fix that.
  • corylbea
    corylbea Posts: 1 Member
    I like putting it in smoothies in place of milk or yogurt. Blended up, it's very creamy. I don't like the texture of it and have tried it with foods (like almost all of the suggestions so far), but I don't mind the taste and like the nutrients, so put it in smoothies when I feel like it! My favourite is 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 banana, and 1 peach. A bit of water or ice helps thin it out. Sometimes I'll add vanilla extract or a vanilla whey powder for more protein.
  • dsboohead

I've thought certain pairings sounded good, but I've never liked the stuff since my grandma used to feed it to me all the time when I was a kid. For me, it's really a texture thing and no pairing is going to fix that.

Texture is a hard fix!
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    I like to eat it plain, add a bit of spicy salsa, or add bacon bits! Maybe not the healthiest thing ever, but, mmm.... bacon.