Cottage cheese??

Replies

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    I enjoy dry cottage cheese - higher in protein and way lower in sodium: 1/2 cup portion: 22 grams of protein/
    15 mg sodium/110 calories

I 'bake' it into pancakes or blended into smoothies or on salads, etc.,

Compared to 1 per cent cottage cheese - 16 grams of protein/420 mg sodium and 100 calories

Dry cottage cheese? Is that something different?

3ojgzo5evn15.jpg
    kbalw6lqy75b.jpg

• khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    LEMME TELL YOU, cottage cheese and salsa is my JAM.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I enjoy dry cottage cheese - higher in protein and way lower in sodium: 1/2 cup portion: 22 grams of protein/
    15 mg sodium/110 calories

I 'bake' it into pancakes or blended into smoothies or on salads, etc.,

Compared to 1 per cent cottage cheese - 16 grams of protein/420 mg sodium and 100 calories

Dry cottage cheese? Is that something different?

3ojgzo5evn15.jpg
    kbalw6lqy75b.jpg

This item is here in US? Would LOVE dry CC.
  • janicekau
    janicekau Posts: 1 Member
    Try cottage cheese with the spice Mrs. Dash original blend on it. Very good!! I sometimes add some avacodo and tomatoes to mine.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Is "dry cottage cheese" just the cottage cheese with the whey squeezed out of it? Because I haven't seen it at the grocery stores around here, but that's what I do with mine.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Dry curd cottage cheese is sometimes labeled as farmer's cheese.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,312 Member
    My mom made biscuits with it. I made them too but it's been a while so don't remember amount of ingredients but the consistency should be that of any raw biscuit mix you roll out: cottage cheese, flour, small dash of baking powder, egg & you can add bits of bacon. roll, cut & bake. Really good (you can add cheese too)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Dry cottage cheese is closest to the original after curdling. The creamy cottage cheese has cream added.
  • Evamutt
    jgnatca, are you Hungarian? I am. I think the recipe for biscuits is called Piskota
  • Evamutt
    Forgot to add, you have to add butter. I'll try to find the recipe, Piskota is more of a generic term
  • jgnatca
    Thanks Evamutt. I married a Hungarian. Now I have to google Piskota.

Hubby can’t get enough cottage cheese. It brings back great memories of great food.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    I like to eat it plain, add a bit of spicy salsa, or add bacon bits! Maybe not the healthiest thing ever, but, mmm.... bacon.

Good call, Em. I've put lots of salsa or Tabasco on cottage cheese. Never thought of bacon bits.

Now I'm hungry! HAHA!

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Dry curd cottage cheese is sometimes labeled as farmer's cheese.

Not sure about what type might be offered in the states - but I was about to suggest 'farmer's cheese' as a similar item
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    yum, I adore
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    I don't like the texture of cottage cheese ... but I do like, very much, that of ricotta. Favorite way to eat it is 1/4 cup spread over a slice of black bread toast.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I don't like the texture of cottage cheese ... but I do like, very much, that of ricotta. Favorite way to eat it is 1/4 cup spread over a slice of black bread toast.

Now what is black bread?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Raisins, cinnamon & sugar.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    I eat it for breakfast or a snack all the time! 1/2 cup with 1/2 tablespoon of your favorite jelly makes a delicious treat. I also like it with just pepper. Try a few kinds, I like the higher fat content and certain brands better than others.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited November 2017
    I eat cottage cheese with diced tomatoes, red onions, avocado, and cracked black pepper. Yum!
  • jgnatca
    Nikion901 wrote: »

Now what is black bread?

My black bread is pumpernickel.