Cottage cheese??

Replies

• Dinow
    Dinow Posts: 113 Member
    I add little jam and have it as dessert
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    I sweeten it and add fruit- strawberries, blueberries pineapple. I mix it half and half with plain Fage Greek yogurt and sweeten and add fruit or not-consistency of a rich creamy pudding. You can also add cocoa powder and flavor extracts.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    I had mine yesterday with some wasabi dried edamame mixed in. Tasty.
  • Lin_marie11
    Lin_marie11 Posts: 100 Member
    I like adding a little maple syrup and cinnamon. It tastes like dessert to me.
  • MoonriverDreamer
    MoonriverDreamer Posts: 24 Member
    I love it! I sometimes make a meal of it with a large sliced tomato. I add a little seasoning salt to the tomato and sometimes chop it up and add it to the cottage cheese. I only eat full fat (at least 4%) small curd cottage cheese. If I have banana peppers, I like to add that, too. I like the suggestion above to add bacon or salsa to it (could use that instead of sliced tomatoes). Yum!
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Check this out...

Put it in a cup or bowl...add some halo top..mix it.

The curds freeze and it's a healthy protein filled rice pudding.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    the texture kills me....I just can't. I love cheese and this is the only one I just can't lol
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I sprinkle in a little (doesn't take much) Hidden Valley Ranch seasoning mix, the traditional ranch, a Fiesta version, and one other I haven't gotten in awhile tasted good too.

Like the higher protein and taste of it. Though the 4% milkfat probably helps.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    My husband and I love to puree it with Ranch Dressing Mix and use it for veggie dip. To us, it's a lot better than using sour cream, and it's lower in calories/higher in protein too. We also both like cottage cheese as is, and I enjoy it with canned pineapple as well.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    I love cottage cheese but have only ever eaten it with black pepper and Lowry’s Season Salt ... I am totally gonna try these other options in this thread!
  • healthyamyb
    healthyamyb Posts: 6 Member
    I like to bake with cottage cheese. I enjoyed making this quick-bread recipe with it: http://momsdish.com/recipe/593/quick-cottage-cheese-buns
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Not much of a fan of the stuff only because back in the day it was considered a "diet" food and thats how I relate.
    I just need to think outside of the carton and get ideas from the forum how you eat it?

Try different kinds and different milkfat % variations. Some cottage cheese I can't stand and some I eat all the time plain. For my taste buds, brand and curd and milkfat% makes a big difference.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I think I would like a dryer small curd. Dont care for big curds swimming in cottage cheese juice. Any suggestions?
  • archersport
    archersport Posts: 65 Member
    edited November 2017
    We make “protein pancakes” and my hubby loves them way more than normal pancakes. Two size options, both go in the magic bullet to blend and cook just like a pancake. If your cottage cheese is moister (I use 1%) it doesn’t matter much but you may wish to adjust the dry ratio:
    1/3 c. Cottage cheese
    1/3 c. Rolled oats
    1 1/2 eggs (serves 1)

Or:
    1/2 c. Cottage cheese
    1/2 c. Rolled oats
    2 eggs (serves 2)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I like to mix cottage cheese with tuna. It's like a tuna salad, except I'm just adding more protein.

120g of 4% cottage cheese
    1 packet of Starkist Lemon Pepper
    2 Wasa Crackers

And I have the base of an excellent lunch for only 260 calories with 34g of protein and 4g fiber.

I like to pair it with some pickles and an apple for a filling and tasty lunch under 350 calories.

I like to mix it with tuna, stuff a red bell pepper, and roast.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great suggestions, thanks!
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    I love cottage cheese. I eat it for lunch almost every day. 1/2 c lowfat cottage cheese, 4 chunks of Dole pineapple in juice (comes in a plastic jar... much easier to deal with than a can & no BPA). Tasty!
    I also sometimes eat it with pickled beets. Or you can put a little jam in. So many ways to enjoy cottage cheese!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    I like it. A co-worker from long ago ate for his diet....he dropped significant pounds.

So, yeah I like it but the sodium content is a turn off for me so I pass on it. Eggs are my new love.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    I like it. A co-worker from long ago ate for his diet....he dropped significant pounds.

So, yeah I like it but the sodium content is a turn off for me so I pass on it. Eggs are my new love.
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    I enjoy dry cottage cheese - higher in protein and way lower in sodium: 1/2 cup portion: 22 grams of protein/
    15 mg sodium/110 calories

I 'bake' it into pancakes or blended into smoothies or on salads, etc.,

Compared to 1 per cent cottage cheese - 16 grams of protein/420 mg sodium and 100 calories

Dry cottage cheese? Is that something different?

3ojgzo5evn15.jpg
    kbalw6lqy75b.jpg

If you're not in Canada - try 'farmer's cheese'?

• DanerTee
    DanerTee Posts: 263 Member
    I eat it with salt and pepper on top next to roasted red peppers, kimchi and a hard boiled egg. Satisfies my dairy cravings without getting me in trouble on my calories.