Weighing after going to the bathroom- what does this mean to you?

I know this may be a tad pedantic and possibly TMI, but i need to know what others do...

For years, i have gone to the loo, both #1 and #2 while the kettle is boiling for my first cup of coffee of the day, after which i weigh myself. On the odd occasion that i didn't "go" that morning i wouldn't bother weighing that day.

The last few months my bathroom habits have changed. Now i don't poop for hours after I've woken up, after which i have eaten and drunk, so my whole routine is messed up.

To those of you who weigh after "going to the bathroom", do you mean just peeing, or both? Is weighing with the previous days food still sitting inside you a valid weight number? Won't you weigh a couple pounds heavier before "getting rid of it" ?

As mentioned i have had the same routine for years, and the sudden change is bugging me! I guess i just prefer to be as empty as possible before stepping on the scale.

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I get up in the morning and use the toilet to pee. I don't usually poop until later in the morning or afternoon. I weigh myself about 8 AM before eating or drinking. I am not going to wait until I poop so I can weigh myself. I am hungry and thirsty in the morning.
    I don't eat very late at night so I don't really think I have several pounds of poop inside me at 8 AM to throw off my reading. I eat about the same calories daily. I am not constipated. It is what I have always done and I don't have wild variations in my weight on the scale so it seems fine to me.

Weigh yourself and see if it makes a big change for you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    as long as youre consistent, i dont think it would make a difference, really.

sometimes ive gone #2, sometimes not.

it never makes a HUGE difference (theres so many joke possibilities, there LOLOL)
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I weigh after #1 and/or #2. If I had a high sodium meal the night before I will not weigh the next morning. I usually try to make sure my body doesn't have a high amount of sodium so I am not retaining water.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Just number one for me in the mornings.

I have weighed myself before and after number two and the scale shows no difference or maybe a couple of time .1 pound. I suspect its not as much weight as you think it is.
  • I go to the toilet and weigh every morning. I do #2 about once every three days. Not always first thing in the morning. I've not noticed much of a difference in my weight on those days that I do happen to poo before I weigh than on the days that I don't. I figure there's not much I can do about it anyway so there's not much point worrying about it :smile:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I've experimented with weighing before and after pooping and sometimes it does make a substantial difference - usually more than half a pound but less than a pound. But I usually only go once a day, so maybe my poops are bigger than other people's. You do need to make sure your scale's memory isn't preventing you from seeing small differences, by picking up something heavy and weighing yourself between times.

As long as you're consistent, it doesn't make a difference.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Your scale likely isn't accurate enough to matter. I've weighed myself pre and post poo several times. (I admit it, I was curious) My digital bathroom scale has shown from 0 difference to a little over 1lb. Do whatever makes your day better.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I know this may be a tad pedantic and possibly TMI, but i need to know what others do...

For years, i have gone to the loo, both #1 and #2 while the kettle is boiling for my first cup of coffee of the day, after which i weigh myself. On the odd occasion that i didn't "go" that morning i wouldn't bother weighing that day.

The last few months my bathroom habits have changed. Now i don't poop for hours after I've woken up, after which i have eaten and drunk, so my whole routine is messed up.

To those of you who weigh after "going to the bathroom", do you mean just peeing, or both? Is weighing with the previous days food still sitting inside you a valid weight number? Won't you weigh a couple pounds heavier before "getting rid of it" ?

As mentioned i have had the same routine for years, and the sudden change is bugging me! I guess i just prefer to be as empty as possible before stepping on the scale.

I've been in your situation. I just kept weighing daily after getting up and a wee. I noticed maybe a 100-200 gram average weight gain. Not a worry at all.

If you weigh in the same way daily no matter what, the highs and lows even out with respect to the poo, just like they do with your water weight fluctuations, and the more data the better.

My data obsession laments at all the data points you've lost these past few months! :smiley:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    When my IBS isn't acting up, I'm really regular and go first thing in the morning.

I'm glad this happens, because I like to run in the morning and being empty for that is a very good thing.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I'm always slightly miffed if I don't go number twos before weighing, but really, looking at the trend so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Well I'm always pooing so I weigh after I pee
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited November 2017
    I once thought it mattered. I no longer do. For my most recent colonoscopy, I weighed before beginning the first really big blow and after the last. The difference was 3 lb. That's all. That's not worth worrying about. One of the earlier entries on the 'unexpected things about losing weight' discussion was a person noting that weight after #2 was more than before. 3 lb is probably within the range of uncertainty of any consumer grade scale.

My personal schedule is to #1 upon waking and to #2 some hours after drinking a pot of coffee.
    On the many days I wake hideously early, pee and weigh, I might wait a few hours before eating or drinking and log another pee.