Weighing after going to the bathroom- what does this mean to you?

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am fairly regular and generally both pee and poop within an hour of waking up. However, I keep odd hours and I tend to eat most of my food during the evening hours so my weigh in is always on a Saturday at 6.30pm, after fasting for the day since I mostly fast most days anyway but Saturday is after a rest day or two and I have found I weigh lighter after rest days. I am not a daily weigher. I would be too bothered by the fluctuations at present.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I know this may be a tad pedantic and possibly TMI, but i need to know what others do...

For years, i have gone to the loo, both #1 and #2 while the kettle is boiling for my first cup of coffee of the day, after which i weigh myself. On the odd occasion that i didn't "go" that morning i wouldn't bother weighing that day.

The last few months my bathroom habits have changed. Now i don't poop for hours after I've woken up, after which i have eaten and drunk, so my whole routine is messed up.

To those of you who weigh after "going to the bathroom", do you mean just peeing, or both? Is weighing with the previous days food still sitting inside you a valid weight number? Won't you weigh a couple pounds heavier before "getting rid of it" ?

As mentioned i have had the same routine for years, and the sudden change is bugging me! I guess i just prefer to be as empty as possible before stepping on the scale.

I've been in your situation. I just kept weighing daily after getting up and a wee. I noticed maybe a 100-200 gram average weight gain. Not a worry at all.

If you weigh in the same way daily no matter what, the highs and lows even out with respect to the poo, just like they do with your water weight fluctuations, and the more data the better.

My data obsession laments at all the data points you've lost these past few months! :smiley:

You have no idea how those missing days are bugging the cr*p out of me :weary:

As of tomorrow morning I'm weighing first thing no matter what (or does not) happens :lol:

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I can't go before work in the morning. Eventually I ended up working so early that I can't go for DAYS. I really can only weigh myself on Saturday or Sunday. I honestly don't weigh myself at all anymore though.
  • AidenT94
    AidenT94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I can't poo in the morning. So I pee, weigh myself (while the shower heats up :p ), then shower. Never made that much of a difference to me.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself Sunday morning after I take a dump. ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    #1 first thing in the morning and then I weigh.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just pee.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I have IBS (so a super slow transit time) so weighing after I wake up and go #2 is not really an option for me as I never know when I'm really going to have a BM. I just weigh first thing in the morning after I go #1 and before I eat or drink anything and take the weight with a grain of salt and look for a downward trend.

It's not as gratifying as waking up, going to the bathroom and suddenly weighing three pounds less than the day before, but it is at least consistent. :D
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have actually done a comparison. B)

I generally just pee, then weigh, then coffee and orange, then poo, then dress.

I have had the opportunity a couple of times to need the poo before the coffee, so yeah, I weighed myself then as well.

The outcome was about .2 of a lbs difference each time. It kind of amazed me that a poop weighed so little.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers, h.

I should add, these weren't little poops either.

Maybe your poos only weigh .2 pounds..... But if you only go 1 maybe twice a week ....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I can't poop til I've had a coffee, so I wake up, wee and weigh.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Whatever business I can get done before I need to get on with my day is what gets done!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I weight first thing then 98% of the time it is just peeing then I weight again to compute output which runs one quart/liter on average. As a guy I know all is well as long it it around 2 pounds to 1 kilogram after 6-8 hours without waking during the night.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have actually done a comparison. B)

I generally just pee, then weigh, then coffee and orange, then poo, then dress.

I have had the opportunity a couple of times to need the poo before the coffee, so yeah, I weighed myself then as well.

The outcome was about .2 of a lbs difference each time. It kind of amazed me that a poop weighed so little.

I really wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers, h.

I should add, these weren't little poops either.

Maybe your poos only weigh .2 pounds..... But if you only go 1 maybe twice a week ....

Oh most definitely. More kids waiting to jump in the pool after a couple of days. ;)
    (That's why I explained my routine.)

Cheers, h.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I just weigh after the first bathroom visit of the morning. Since moving into maintenance, I started using Happy Scale, which is an app that gives you a trend line of all your previous weights, as well as an average. If daily weight fluctuations bother you, then I'd highly recommend it.
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    gcibsthom wrote: »
    Try weighing yourself both pre- and post-poopal. Not sure that it would make much of a difference, I guess. Depending on how much you poop....

Post-poopal is now my new favorite word!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use Libra and Trendweight. But this toileting business and erractic weighing in has thrown off my graph, which is all higgelty piggelty now.

But the pressure to evacuate on command and on time has now been lifted, so back to daily weighing for me :lol:
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I do whatever is in the queue. Then I weigh. Every day.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Raven_Hawk wrote: »
    I must admit I'd never considered the consequences of potty visits :) For me I stagger out of bed in the morning, do a wee (that is all that happens for me at that time of the day) and then weigh. You've all got me interested now. I've have to weigh after nature's call and learn how much a poo weighs.

In my experience, I can nearly always count on it to be a difference of 4oz.
    Now, I might wonder what other people's averages are..
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I know this may be a tad pedantic and possibly TMI, but i need to know what others do...

For years, i have gone to the loo, both #1 and #2 while the kettle is boiling for my first cup of coffee of the day, after which i weigh myself. On the odd occasion that i didn't "go" that morning i wouldn't bother weighing that day.

The last few months my bathroom habits have changed. Now i don't poop for hours after I've woken up, after which i have eaten and drunk, so my whole routine is messed up.

To those of you who weigh after "going to the bathroom", do you mean just peeing, or both? Is weighing with the previous days food still sitting inside you a valid weight number? Won't you weigh a couple pounds heavier before "getting rid of it" ?

As mentioned i have had the same routine for years, and the sudden change is bugging me! I guess i just prefer to be as empty as possible before stepping on the scale.

I've been in your situation. I just kept weighing daily after getting up and a wee. I noticed maybe a 100-200 gram average weight gain. Not a worry at all.

If you weigh in the same way daily no matter what, the highs and lows even out with respect to the poo, just like they do with your water weight fluctuations, and the more data the better.

My data obsession laments at all the data points you've lost these past few months! :smiley:

You have no idea how those missing days are bugging the cr*p out of me :weary:

As of tomorrow morning I'm weighing first thing no matter what (or does not) happens :lol:

I find stress makes it worse. Or rushing around. On the rare days I can wake up and lie in bed for a while, I find #2 just happens.... Other days it's not until later.

But, I've wondered the same thing as you - my my habits are inconsistent, but I've decided to weigh and use the numbers regardless of what happens.