The Importance of Willpower for Weight Loss

Replies

• Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Using your mindset has gotten me to day four of eliminating snacking. High five! It made such good sense.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    An example.

Last night I was craving salty savory crunchy junk food. But I don't keep the stuff in my house. And it was cold and rainy, so I didn't want to go out.

Not keeping high calorie junk food around is a strategy I use to avoid thoughtless evening binges.

I know yours is an example but it is one where I have to use willpower/discipline instead of that strategy. I have a family that includes teenagers. There are probably 3 or 4 kinds of chips and a couple of kinds of cookies in the pantry. There are some Snickers ice cream bars and some Klondike bars in the freezer. The menu changes, but there are just about always snacks like that in the house. There are donuts in the breakroom at work some days; afternoon parties with chips and dips and beers (a temptation I have to avoid for more reasons than caloric content). I have to be able to withstand a constant barrage of temptation. I even do it to myself. I have squirreled away milestone rewards in my desk drawer. 4 more pounds and I get to have a white chocolate chunk macadamia nut cookie. There are a bunch of fun size candy bars in there also. It's been weeks since I last had one at a previous milestone. No one but me knows exactly what's in there. I don't eat any of that stuff because I am not supposed to and because losing the weight is more important to me than a quick junk food fix, or at least it is right now. I am standing firm behind my decision and it isn't more taxing on donut days.

Even with these, though, you can change strategies and the amount of willpower needed.

One example is I see people here all the time whose only plan seems to be "I will not overeat." They don't change things but try to just take smaller portions, not overeat when eating out of a bag of chips, take just a few peanut M&Ms when grabbing some, so on. Without a plan, when they end up logging everything at the end of the day (if they even do that), of course they fail, and then they complain that there's something wrong since every day they vowed to eat less and did not.

Contrast this with having a plan for what specifically you will eat that day and sticking to it. It's easier to not grab the bag of chips or to portion out what you think you should eat (based on an overall plan for the day) vs. expecting yourself to stop after the right amount while eating out of the bag. It's easier to understand what makes sense for the day in advantage (for many people, anyway) rather than relying on telling yourself not to overeat and nothing more.

For some of us adding other strategies makes it still easier: some pre-make food or pre-log. So no wondering about what to eat when hungry. I don't do that, but I simply don't snack. There's food all over my office, but it's not as energy sapping to resist temptation when I can think "I'm eating my own planned food and not unplanned snacks."

Another strategy that made it easier for me (really, it was so easy I never thought about it) is to think of the food of others living in the house (snack food, not regular meal food) as not mine, but theirs. I wouldn't wear someone else's clothes without asking, and similarly I don't just grab their food. (This may not work with all families, of course.)

Another that made it easier is thinking about food in terms of what I can have, what's exciting and tasty and consistent with how I want to eat vs. thinking in terms of what I cannot have -- rephrasing as a positive. I've been trying out a plant-based diet (to support a friend who wanted to do it, and because I've done it before and always enjoy it), and have found myself naturally doing this and enjoying it because--I'm focusing on all the foods I am excited to make and doing that I don't miss the things I am not eating. (I suspect this is easier when it's novel, but taking advantage of that benefit at first helps form a habit which itself makes things take less willpower). Trying to think of running in the morning or evening as meditative or something I do to relax vs. something else on my list of things I must do that day is a similar reframing.

That said, I do think Aaron's initial post is right on and I find even with established habits the longer I spend with lots of other things being my number one priority (or numbers 1-10) and sapping my emotional energy and adding stress, the less likely I am to stick to even well-established habits of exercise and cooking and eating well, so it's important to focus on priorities and acknowledge that something is going to have to give so I should plan what one and not have it be the things I am only accountable to me on (fitness/health).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    Many points that have been discussed here were sounding familiar to me, and I finally remembered why. I read this great article last year on how to harness your habits and the 3 primary points were:

1) Be realistic. Recognize the limits on your time, energy, and resources and only pick one or two things to work on at a time. As OP has said, focus on what's most important to you.

2) Manage your environment (as was touched on above). Make it harder to do the wrong thing (don't keep ice cream in your freezer, if that is your weakness) and make it easier to do the right thing (if you want to work out in the morning, put your workout clothes right next to the bed). Limit contact with people who discourage you, and seek out those who help reinforce your good habits (if you're trying to quit smoking, don't hang out with the smokers on your break).

3) Have a long-range view. Don't view setbacks as permanent failure, and focus on your successes (and how to repeat them) rather than your setbacks.

Hope this wasn't a derail- I just thought it tied in really nicely. And thanks, OP, for creating the post that prompted me to go hunt it down! I needed it :)

I'm not sure I've ever "inspiring"-ed something before, but the way you summed that up really spoke to me. I've recently been working on getting my family's finances in order, and realized that I've been treating saving money and getting out of debt much the same way I was treating weight loss a couple of years ago - I figured it was such a huge task, and fixing it would take so many unpleasant changes, that I was pretty much guaranteed to fail. So I give up before I begin, the problem gets worse, and so on and so forth.

IMO, your post highlights a couple of the mechanisms through which "willpower gets stronger with use", for me.

One is practicing breaking down a huge goal or problem in order to work on it stepwise, slowly but persistently, and viscerally learning that doing so is a skill in itself that can be honed and applied to other unrelated goals or problems. "Everyone knows" (intellectually) that breaking things down and being persistent works, but seeing it work for myself sharpens those tools in my personal toolbelt.

The second is the confidence or self-image side of that: Increasing the extent to which I internalize the idea that I'm a person who can do some major, long-term-commitment things.

A third piece of "willpower getting stronger" is - for lack of a better way of putting it - is where the ruts in my way of thinking are, since it's always easier to drive my thinking in the ruts rather than break new trails. Getting out of the habit (pattern) of thinking "this is huge, fixing it is overwhelming and will require unpleasant things, why even try" (which is a downward spiral), and into the "think of a manageable step and take it, stick with it" pattern (an upward spiral): That's pretty powerful.

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    An example.

Last night I was craving salty savory crunchy junk food. But I don't keep the stuff in my house. And it was cold and rainy, so I didn't want to go out.

Not keeping high calorie junk food around is a strategy I use to avoid thoughtless evening binges.

I know yours is an example but it is one where I have to use willpower/discipline instead of that strategy. I have a family that includes teenagers. There are probably 3 or 4 kinds of chips and a couple of kinds of cookies in the pantry. There are some Snickers ice cream bars and some Klondike bars in the freezer. The menu changes, but there are just about always snacks like that in the house. There are donuts in the breakroom at work some days; afternoon parties with chips and dips and beers (a temptation I have to avoid for more reasons than caloric content). I have to be able to withstand a constant barrage of temptation. I even do it to myself. I have squirreled away milestone rewards in my desk drawer. 4 more pounds and I get to have a white chocolate chunk macadamia nut cookie. There are a bunch of fun size candy bars in there also. It's been weeks since I last had one at a previous milestone. No one but me knows exactly what's in there. I don't eat any of that stuff because I am not supposed to and because losing the weight is more important to me than a quick junk food fix, or at least it is right now. I am standing firm behind my decision and it isn't more taxing on donut days.

Even with these, though, you can change strategies and the amount of willpower needed.

One example is I see people here all the time whose only plan seems to be "I will not overeat." They don't change things but try to just take smaller portions, not overeat when eating out of a bag of chips, take just a few peanut M&Ms when grabbing some, so on. Without a plan, when they end up logging everything at the end of the day (if they even do that), of course they fail, and then they complain that there's something wrong since every day they vowed to eat less and did not.

Contrast this with having a plan for what specifically you will eat that day and sticking to it. It's easier to not grab the bag of chips or to portion out what you think you should eat (based on an overall plan for the day) vs. expecting yourself to stop after the right amount while eating out of the bag. It's easier to understand what makes sense for the day in advantage (for many people, anyway) rather than relying on telling yourself not to overeat and nothing more.

For some of us adding other strategies makes it still easier: some pre-make food or pre-log. So no wondering about what to eat when hungry. I don't do that, but I simply don't snack. There's food all over my office, but it's not as energy sapping to resist temptation when I can think "I'm eating my own planned food and not unplanned snacks."

Another strategy that made it easier for me (really, it was so easy I never thought about it) is to think of the food of others living in the house (snack food, not regular meal food) as not mine, but theirs. I wouldn't wear someone else's clothes without asking, and similarly I don't just grab their food. (This may not work with all families, of course.)

Another that made it easier is thinking about food in terms of what I can have, what's exciting and tasty and consistent with how I want to eat vs. thinking in terms of what I cannot have -- rephrasing as a positive. I've been trying out a plant-based diet (to support a friend who wanted to do it, and because I've done it before and always enjoy it), and have found myself naturally doing this and enjoying it because--I'm focusing on all the foods I am excited to make and doing that I don't miss the things I am not eating. (I suspect this is easier when it's novel, but taking advantage of that benefit at first helps form a habit which itself makes things take less willpower). Trying to think of running in the morning or evening as meditative or something I do to relax vs. something else on my list of things I must do that day is a similar reframing.

That said, I do think Aaron's initial post is right on and I find even with established habits the longer I spend with lots of other things being my number one priority (or numbers 1-10) and sapping my emotional energy and adding stress, the less likely I am to stick to even well-established habits of exercise and cooking and eating well, so it's important to focus on priorities and acknowledge that something is going to have to give so I should plan what one and not have it be the things I am only accountable to me on (fitness/health).

This post I feel highlights something I wanted to get across in my initial post but I don't think I really emphasized enough. That is you should have a strategy, not just a notion of what you want to accomplish. What strategy you employ will be very personal so I wouldn't feel right to say "do this" which is why I only provided the examples of the strategies I used that worked for me.

A strategy is a specific plan and means in which you want to accomplish the goal. Follow the strategy you lay out, the goal should be accomplished. "I want to lose weight by eating less" isn't a strategy, that is a goal. "I will set a time aside on saturday to cook a large meal in which I count calories in all the items I add to the meal then portion the meal into 500 calorie portions that I will then use as my dinners" is a strategy. Reaching a goal might require employing numerous strategies. You should come up with what strategies you want to employ in advance and then think about how you will set aside the needed time and willpower to carry them out in advance. With the concept of willpower in mind you should choose the minimum number of strategies needed to accomplish your goal and choose strategies that require the least amount of effort. That would be the plan. Just saying "I'm going to lose weight by eating less" contains no strategies and therefore isn't actually a plan.

Now this is something we can agree on. My strategy is to cut out all junk food except milestone rewards (and they are small) and only have fruit for snacks (limit two) and track everything all day as I eat so I know what I have left. I meal plan but sometimes I deviate. When I pass the next milestone, I am going to start allowing some non fruit snacks like fun size candy bars but still track as I go. I don't want to introduce snacks at the bottom and go wild.

I got over half way to goal eating very differently, absolutely dieting. This is not sustainable. Once I get closer, I will start eating like I will at maintenance and do 5:2 IF to stay in deficit. That's another strategy.

This time goal weight is the line in the sand - it s a number to stay below, not the middle of an arbitrary range. Another strategy and potentially the most important one. Trying to re-invent how I eat is not going to be easy. If I have to go through some cycles of losing a few pounds under goal and trying to maintain again, so be it, An ever widening range (and waist) has been what gets me started on gaining back. I am using BMI because the number is not arbitrary and I didn't pick it. I am going to stay under 25. I have not had a hard ceiling before.
  • pisces1983
    pisces1983 Posts: 10 Member
    This said it all for me. I needed this.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    pisces1983 wrote: »
    This said it all for me. I needed this.

Good to hear.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    An example.

This post I feel highlights something I wanted to get across in my initial post but I don't think I really emphasized enough. That is you should have a strategy, not just a notion of what you want to accomplish. What strategy you employ will be very personal so I wouldn't feel right to say "do this" which is why I only provided the examples of the strategies I used that worked for me.

A strategy is a specific plan and means in which you want to accomplish the goal. Follow the strategy you lay out, the goal should be accomplished. "I want to lose weight by eating less" isn't a strategy, that is a goal. "I will set a time aside on saturday to cook a large meal in which I count calories in all the items I add to the meal then portion the meal into 500 calorie portions that I will then use as my dinners" is a strategy. Reaching a goal might require employing numerous strategies. You should come up with what strategies you want to employ in advance and then think about how you will set aside the needed time and willpower to carry them out in advance. With the concept of willpower in mind you should choose the minimum number of strategies needed to accomplish your goal and choose strategies that require the least amount of effort. That would be the plan. Just saying "I'm going to lose weight by eating less" contains no strategies and therefore isn't actually a plan.

This is why my advice to people who want tips on how to lose weight through calorie counting is to spend some time logging what they eat without making any specific changes to their diet. While one can certainly get ideas from others, the best strategies will be customized to your individual eating patterns. I suspect that most people aren't really all that aware of their own eating habits, so trying to cut back on calories becomes something of a shot in the dark.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    YES! I so agree, I know what to do, but the willpower is hard at times! This post is exactly what I needed to read today.
  • EloiseBean
    EloiseBean Posts: 16 Member
    whose reading all of this??
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I've lost bits of weight here and there but it's consistent and it's happening by means I can use and like to use in the most stressful of situations. 70 lbs down and I'm thrilled.

That said, what doesn't help is society and even these forums advocating fitspo-ish, balls to the walls, go big or go home, and those who don't do it lack will power. Apparently doing enough to get by really isn't enough.

If I can maintain my weight and fitness level here, I'm fine. I do intend to keep reaching for new goals. But to so many the idea of accepting your limitations and either being satisfied with your results or just doing your best (not someone else's idea of the best) is unacceptable.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    I find that's it's easier for me to initially say no to goodies (chocolate, baked goods) than to have a little and walk away. I.JUST.CAN'T!
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    I still think this is an amazing thread. And I read it TWICE. Fool that I am. :D

Thank you.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    off topic but @MorningGloryLori: I dearly love your signature pic! heehee - I've said that about a lot of books!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Reading later :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    I just ran across this article and it reminded me of this post: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2016/11/3/13486940/self-control-psychology-myth

Towards the end there's a list of characteristics of people who demonstrate good self-control. The last two are genetics and wealth, but the first two line up pretty well with what people have already posted here.

1) People who are better at self-control actually enjoy the activities some of us resist.

2) People who are good at self-control have learned better habits.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Bump for the newbies :)