The Importance of Willpower for Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I have not thread through the whole thread yet but OP while reading your first post I am reminded of what it is called decision fatigue.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    TH2017 wrote: »
    I have not thread through the whole thread yet but OP while reading your first post I am reminded of what it is called decision fatigue.

I'm not the OP, but I had never heard of this so went looking to read up on it and found this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magazine/do-you-suffer-from-decision-fatigue.html

Very interesting! And sure enough:

“Good decision making is not a trait of the person, in the sense that it’s always there,” Baumeister says. “It’s a state that fluctuates.” His studies show that people with the best self-control are the ones who structure their lives so as to conserve willpower. They don’t schedule endless back-to-back meetings. They avoid temptations like all-you-can-eat buffets, and they establish habits that eliminate the mental effort of making choices. Instead of deciding every morning whether or not to force themselves to exercise, they set up regular appointments to work out with a friend. Instead of counting on willpower to remain robust all day, they conserve it so that it’s available for emergencies and important decisions.

• Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this post. Exactly what new members of mfp need . Thanks for sharing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Willpower like motivation can come and go, but lasting habits can be formed so it becomes automatic to make the right choices. At least that's my experience.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    I really need a tl:dr version. I have no motivation to read all these words. :)

I have to say I skimmed over it as long posts bore me.. (sorry OP :/)
  • try2again
    Options

I would really like to see OP condense this down. I recommend this post a lot in the forums, but always with an apology about the length! I fear many of the people that could benefit from it will skip it because of the length :(
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

I would really like to see OP condense this down. I recommend this post a lot in the forums, but always with an apology about the length! I fear many of the people that could benefit from it will skip it because of the length :(

Exactly. I vote for the condensed version too :smile:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I'm not the OP, but I had never heard of this so went looking to read up on it and found this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magazine/do-you-suffer-from-decision-fatigue.html

“Good decision making is not a trait of the person, in the sense that it’s always there,” Baumeister says. “It’s a state that fluctuates.” His studies show that people with the best self-control are the ones who structure their lives so as to conserve willpower. They don’t schedule endless back-to-back meetings. They avoid temptations like all-you-can-eat buffets, and they establish habits that eliminate the mental effort of making choices. Instead of deciding every morning whether or not to force themselves to exercise, they set up regular appointments to work out with a friend. Instead of counting on willpower to remain robust all day, they conserve it so that it’s available for emergencies and important decisions.

Continuing on the subtopic of decision fatigue, I really enjoyed this article as well: https://medium.com/@aadamsnotes/when-if-it-fits-your-macros-becomes-if-it-fits-your-mouth-19e51d2e3d1e

In summary, he argues that it can be easier for some people (*raises hand*) to maintain a deficit if you reduce some of the variability in your diet. This doesn't mean following crazy restriction diets, but it does mean avoiding trigger foods and doing some meal planning. "Structure and regimentation simply means that 90% of the time you follow a plan that you’ve created - from the number of meals, the foods you eat - and the other 10% you can relax a little with your eating."
  • try2again
    Options

Continuing on the subtopic of decision fatigue, I really enjoyed this article as well: https://medium.com/@aadamsnotes/when-if-it-fits-your-macros-becomes-if-it-fits-your-mouth-19e51d2e3d1e

In summary, he argues that it can be easier for some people (*raises hand*) to maintain a deficit if you reduce some of the variability in your diet. This doesn't mean following crazy restriction diets, but it does mean avoiding trigger foods and doing some meal planning. "Structure and regimentation simply means that 90% of the time you follow a plan that you’ve created - from the number of meals, the foods you eat - and the other 10% you can relax a little with your eating."

I will bookmark this for later.

I read a recommendation early on in my weight loss about automation. I wouldn't want to literally eat the same meals every day, but I have about 3 basic breakfasts that I rotate, and lunch generally ends up being the same handful of options as well. Dinner is more varied, but revolves around some basic menus I instinctively know the calorie counts for. I definitely find I am more consistent when I keep it simple.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I will bookmark this for later.

I read a recommendation early on in my weight loss about automation. I wouldn't want to literally eat the same meals every day, but I have about 3 basic breakfasts that I rotate, and lunch generally ends up being the same handful of options as well. Dinner is more varied, but revolves around some basic menus I instinctively know the calorie counts for. I definitely find I am more consistent when I keep it simple.

I realize this was something I did intuitively, although I would have said I ate a varied diet, and it was helpful.

Breakfast -- I'd repeat one similar meals for weeks on weekdays. (Normal breakfast was 2 egg omelet with greens and at least one other veg -- depended on what was in the refrigerator -- plus cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt, or smoked salmon). Lunch, I'd pack it ahead (and log ahead) so I just had to grab and go. Dinner -- variations on protein (based on what I'd taken out to defrost), vegetables (what was in the refrigerator), and starch (whatever I felt like, and whether I felt like pasta or stir fry or potatoes/sweet potatoes on the side). I'd usually have some leftovers available in case it was a day I didn't have time to cook. All really easy things to log and generally in my recent or favorite foods, just had to change the amounts.
  • reddwarf63
    reddwarf63 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really liked this post. Losing weight and getting healthy does come down to willpower and discipline. However, losing weight is the old 80/20 dynamic. With 80% being diet, if you are eating smaller healthy meals , compared to your usual diet, you will lose weight. Exercise just gives your body that boost to burn calories quicker.

I do similar things, like ill take the stairs instead of an escalator or a lift, all the small things add up
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I could see your way of describing this as useful to some people, but really, what it boils down to when it's all said and done, is priorities.

If something is important enough, you will make it happen.

Work is the perfect example. No matter how much you don't want to do it, or hate it, or are tired, you make it happen anyways because it's a big priority to you.

Fitness is a bigger priority to me than losing weight, therefore, I'm far more likely to make it to the gym than to count my calories. It's not willpower or a lack thereof, it's a matter of what's important enough for me to make the change or do what I need to do.

I give up a lot in my life to pursue my sport - from working 3 jobs to being at the gym for 2 hours a day, that means I'm giving up a lot of social activities, free time, time at home, even dating. I don't find these choices hard to make, because racing is that important to me. Not that every day is easy, or there aren't days or weeks when I wish x, y, or z was true, but the reality is what is important is what we will do.

I think its hard for people to drum up "willpower" when they see it as an all or nothing approach - if they can't change everything, then why change anything, which is where I feel like your post is going. Make a small change a priority, and realize that an all or nothing approach probably isn't going to work for most people.
  • try2again
    edited January 2018
    Options

I give up a lot in my life to pursue my sport - from working 3 jobs to being at the gym for 2 hours a day, that means I'm giving up a lot of social activities, free time, time at home, even dating. I don't find these choices hard to make, because racing is that important to me. Not that every day is easy, or there aren't days or weeks when I wish x, y, or z was true, but the reality is what is important is what we will do.

I think its hard for people to drum up "willpower" when they see it as an all or nothing approach - if they can't change everything, then why change anything, which is where I feel like your post is going. Make a small change a priority, and realize that an all or nothing approach probably isn't going to work for most people.

You're saying "racing is that important", but can't we assume that you also enjoy it? In that case, it seems to me that willpower isn't as big of an issue. The definition of willpower set out by the OP was the energy for things that you don't particularly want to do. If you hated racing, and still made those sacrifices, that would take some willpower. ;)

But at any rate, I don't see where what you're saying is all that different than OP... set your priorities and use your limited willpower on those things. I didn't take it as an "all or nothing" approach at all.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options

You're saying "racing is that important", but can't we assume that you also enjoy it? In that case, it seems to me that willpower isn't as big of an issue. The definition of willpower set out by the OP was the energy for things that you don't particularly want to do. If you hated racing, and still made those sacrifices, that would take some willpower. ;)

But at any rate, I don't see where what you're saying is all that different than OP... set your priorities and use your limited willpower on those things. I didn't take it as an "all or nothing" approach at all.

I think I interpret willpower a bit differently because too many people see it as this mystical thing that some people have and others don't, and I don't believe that is true in any way, shape or form (barring someone who has an illness of some variety of course).

As for the racing, sure, I enjoy that - the grand total of 14 days of racing I have in a year. The other 351 days a year are not exactly "fun." Plenty of racers out there who enjoy racing plenty but it's not such a high priority that they are willing to make sacrifices that others are willing to make. I don't believe I have more willpower than they do, my priorities are just different.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Willpower is a limited resource. Further, willpower is a diminishing resource. When you use willpower, you reduce your remaining amount of willpower by an amount greater than that which you already used. This isn't just about choosing to minimize the willpower cost of losing weight. It's also about minimizing the actions you spend willpower on. When it's gone, it's Katy bar the door.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

Willpower is a limited resource. Further, willpower is a diminishing resource. When you use willpower, you reduce your remaining amount of willpower by an amount greater than that which you already used. This isn't just about choosing to minimize the willpower cost of losing weight. It's also about minimizing the actions you spend willpower on. When it's gone, it's Katy bar the door.

IMHO, @try2again and @JeromeBarry1 did a really good job summarizing the post.
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    A third piece of "willpower getting stronger" is - for lack of a better way of putting it - is where the ruts in my way of thinking are, since it's always easier to drive my thinking in the ruts rather than break new trails. Getting out of the habit (pattern) of thinking. . .

THIS! Recognizing this and consciously working to make a change, getting out of the ruts, is what's needed to succeed long term.

The longer I'm on this weight loss journey, the more I occasionally fixate on 'trigger' foods. I needed a way to break that fixation.

Like in the Movie ‘UP’, near the end, when Russell sees Carl and Kevin in trouble. Russell climes to the porch of the house. Planes continued to attack, but Russell manages to stop the dogs in the planes from attacking by yelling 'SQUIRREL!!'. This distracts the dogs in the planes, breaking their fixation on Carl & Kevin, and making them all collide together.

Like what Russell did, the key is to break that concentration/fixation.

I do a variation of this when I start feeling myself getting fixated on something, be it work break room donuts, samples at Costco, or even the peanut butter jar in the pantry. I have to internally yell STOP, and think about a non food topic, or anything else I enjoy, like motorcycling, to break my concentration.

Conditioning myself to not fixate on trigger foods really helps keep me on track.
  • try2again
    Options
    Just want to point out that the quote in the above comment by @azironasun didn't come from me.

And also that the post you praised, @ahoy_m8 , was a quote from the article, so I can't take any credit ;)
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I've actually been thinking about the original post for a couple days now. Although I agree with it, something was nagging a bit. I finally figured out what it is. I think it's not the actual willpower that is finite, it is actual strength.
    Willpower is simply a function and tool of strength, which is certainly finite. Occasionally you can use willpower to to push your strength further than you believed, but there comes a point where no matter how hard you will yourself, you just don't have the strength to fight anymore. I personally think that the original post is otherwise 100% on, if the word willpower is actually changed to strength. Especially about realizing where your limits are currently, and finding ways to pick and choose what is most important, in order to conserve what you beed to succeed.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I suppose I could attempt to re-write it as a condensed version if people think that would be useful. I do tend to be long-winded as I want to make sure I am making myself clear but I get with limited time a lot of people might just opt not to read it at all given the length.