The Importance of Willpower for Weight Loss

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    besaro wrote: »
    I really need a tl:dr version. I have no motivation to read all these words. :)

I have to say I skimmed over it as long posts bore me.. (sorry OP :/)

I would really like to see OP condense this down. I recommend this post a lot in the forums, but always with an apology about the length! I fear many of the people that could benefit from it will skip it because of the length :(

I suppose I could attempt to re-write it as a condensed version if people think that would be useful. I do tend to be long-winded as I want to make sure I am making myself clear but I get with limited time a lot of people might just opt not to read it at all given the length.

I know what you mean... I am exactly the same way. Ask my kids ;)
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    TH2017 wrote: »
    I have not thread through the whole thread yet but OP while reading your first post I am reminded of what it is called decision fatigue.

I'm not the OP, but I had never heard of this so went looking to read up on it and found this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magazine/do-you-suffer-from-decision-fatigue.html

I have read the article, it was an interesting read. Conclusions I got from it resonates with my personal beliefs and once more proves to me that the whole dieting movement is here to make us fat.

My plan at the moment is to write a Sheldon-like weekly menu, at least for dinner since lunches are usually family meals that are result of compromise among all family members.

Dinner I usually prepare only for myself, so I have plenty of space for optimizing there.
    So, I'll create a 7 days dinner plan with not too much variation and without going into any extreme (low fat, high fat, low carb, high carbs...). I think it can work as one step in optimizing that decision making fatigue.

• Carrie210
    Carrie210 Posts: 16 Member
    i just stumbled on your post and i think it was exactly what i needed to read in this moment. I have just started my journey (again!). This time around i am ignoring all outside advice. For lunch, frozen dinners. It's prepackaged, it's easy to transport and I actually look forward to lunchtime. It takes so little extra willpower for this change and it keeps my calories at lunch in check. I still have freedom at dinner time. Deciding to just watch my calories and fit in a 20-30 minute walk is all my life will allow for right now, but it's more than I was doing last week so i'm headed in the right direction.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    I get this but I really don't think people really have a realistic idea of when they are "out of willpower". You really have no idea of how strong you really are until you push yourself past whatever your perceived "limits" are. That's the true "awakening" of a human being to their true potential. You don't achieve anywhere near what you are truly capable of by telling yourself "well I'm all out of willpower for today". I guess we should redefine what "willpower" really is. It's not some substance that you are given a ration of each day. The word willpower means that I have the power to do these things (or not do these things) because I have decided that I WILL! All of us have had, at some point in our lives, had that experience of doing something strictly because someone has told us that it cannot be done, so we go out and do it just to show them. What really makes us successful in life is not willpower, but commitment. People who are committed to a goal, put that goal first in their lives and they don't walk away from the commitment because they are bored or tired or disappointed. They see those conditions as temporary, but their commitment as being permanent. I'm committed to being a healthy weight and I won't give up that commitment because it's hard or I'm tired today or am at a party. I might slip and I might binge once in a while, but my commitment is still there and that is what helps me to refocus my efforts the next day or the next week. You have waaaaaay more power than you think you do and you have waaaaay more willpower than you think you do too. Dig down deep and find it.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Willpower like nearly everything is a limited commodity. While I question the psychological study that established this, it simply make sense that the truth is closer to limited than unlimited. The key lying with those who implement mechanisms which strengthen a positive feedback loop reinforcing willpower and goals.

The ugly truth is that most give the bare minimum. Only the fewest of the few give their best. Even these are only aware of their potential when they let go of the limitations they set for themselves. Our brains quit long before our bodies do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sUKoKQlEC4

What is truly sad is that the majority won't even try.
  • mitchkelly2446
    mitchkelly2446 Posts: 38 Member
    Somebody being browbeaten into performing a pointless task proves what exactly?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    leonhnchan wrote: »
    In my opinion, forget willpower. You can't reply on it. You can't even rely on motivation. Rely on DISCIPLINE which means you do something even if you don't feel it. DISCIPLINE is what will move you forward in the long run. Don't feel like getting up to run when you said to yourself the night before you will? Do it anyway. That will work towards developing the discipline to do it anyway. The problem is if you skip it, it will be much easier to just skip it the next time you're supposed to do it.

^^^this^^^ and ^^^this^^^ becomes your will power through consistency of discipline development. thanks for your post.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    willpower fades. commitment and habit is what leads to success
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I get this but I really don't think people really have a realistic idea of when they are "out of willpower". You really have no idea of how strong you really are until you push yourself past whatever your perceived "limits" are. That's the true "awakening" of a human being to their true potential. You don't achieve anywhere near what you are truly capable of by telling yourself "well I'm all out of willpower for today". I guess we should redefine what "willpower" really is. It's not some substance that you are given a ration of each day. The word willpower means that I have the power to do these things (or not do these things) because I have decided that I WILL! All of us have had, at some point in our lives, had that experience of doing something strictly because someone has told us that it cannot be done, so we go out and do it just to show them. What really makes us successful in life is not willpower, but commitment. People who are committed to a goal, put that goal first in their lives and they don't walk away from the commitment because they are bored or tired or disappointed. They see those conditions as temporary, but their commitment as being permanent. I'm committed to being a healthy weight and I won't give up that commitment because it's hard or I'm tired today or am at a party. I might slip and I might binge once in a while, but my commitment is still there and that is what helps me to refocus my efforts the next day or the next week. You have waaaaaay more power than you think you do and you have waaaaay more willpower than you think you do too. Dig down deep and find it.

This was a great post and true in a lot of ways. The problem with willpower when it comes to dieting is you are fighting with yourself. So in a battle of will to eat what you want vs the diet will who is going to win? What if regardless of renewed commitment each day the will to eat edges out your diet will more days than it doesn't?

The least path of resistance doesn't rely on more willpower it relies on less. Why fight with yourself anymore than is needed? Take care of your hunger. Take care of your cravings. Take care of whatever you need to so that at the end of the day you are happy and satisfied. If you are not, try and learn what to do different tomorrow and keep learning so that you won't be at odds with yourself. Don't get too stuck on a single notion and learn to compromise.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

This was a great post and true in a lot of ways. The problem with willpower when it comes to dieting is you are fighting with yourself. So in a battle of will to eat what you want vs the diet will who is going to win? What if regardless of renewed commitment each day the will to eat edges out your diet will more days than it doesn't?

The least path of resistance doesn't rely on more willpower it relies on less. Why fight with yourself anymore than is needed? Take care of your hunger. Take care of your cravings. Take care of whatever you need to so that at the end of the day you are happy and satisfied. If you are not, try and learn what to do different tomorrow and keep learning so that you won't be at odds with yourself. Don't get too stuck on a single notion and learn to compromise.

I think it's more of an issue of your present self vs. your future self. Are you willing to sacrifice in the present to reap the gains in the future? ...or do you sacrifice your future for immediate gratification?
  • mitchkelly2446
    mitchkelly2446 Posts: 38 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

I think it's more of an issue of your present self vs. your future self. Are you willing to sacrifice in the present to reap the gains in the future? ...or do you sacrifice your future for immediate gratification?

I think the problem many people see isn't about sacrifice in the present for future success, it's about sacrifice in the present for no discernable gain down the line. Many peoples' experience of deferred gratification is that the deferment is permanent and the gratification never arrives.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Last I checked my future self isn't here to help me today. Nope when I have struggled it was with me vs me. Oh and if I am hungry eating chicken and broccoli satisfies that hunger making it immediate/instant gratification.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

Not sure I agree. This is all well and good if people have one goal and one committment, but they don't....they have lots of goals and lots of commitments and prioritization occurs but prioritization doesn't mean you just do one and ignore the rest, it means you find balance with the limited resource you have. I called that resource willpower, you want to call it commitment instead fine, but it is limited and the notion that you can just summon an infinite supply of time and energy by willing it to be so I do not subscribe to. Call me cynical, I think it is just being realistic.

Rather than pretend all you have to do is believe hard enough and you can accomplish anything I think it is more likely to lead to success if you are more realistic in your goals and make sure you resource them appropriately.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited May 2018
    I agree with the original premise of the OP in terms of willpower or whatever we call it being a limited resource. It also seems many folks have very specific connotations for some of the terms used here. I started thinking of this idea of limited resources in terms of bandwidth - something many of us can relate to in a digital world.

To me it works to think of each of us as having a limited amount of cognitive bandwidth at our disposal at any one time - there is only so much we can think about at once. This bandwidth is divided between decisions and thoughts about work, responsibilities, and diet or exercise choices. If we are doing something at work that requires most of our cognitive bandwidth, we may make a poor dietary choice because we literally lack the mental capacity to think about it too deeply. Later, when our cognitive load decreases, we beat ourselves up because we think of a reasonable choice we wish we might have made.

I'm thinking of something as simple as tying a shoelace or shooting a free throw. In the beginning it requires a great deal of thought (cognitive bandwidth) to learn one of these skills. The reason we practice though is that as we gain muscle memory the cognitive bandwidth required for the activity decreases and the process is perceived as being "easy".

Isn't weight management similar in some ways? People use different strategies - predetermined food choices, keeping some items from the home, etc as a means to reduce the cognitive load required to make a choice that leads to their desired outcome. The habits we form are very much equivalent to the muscle memory example. Forming habits requires a good bit of cognitive bandwidth, but as a habit becomes ingrained it uses less bandwidth over time.

I hope this adds to the conversation. I wanted to throw it out there as another way of looking at things.

I think that is an excellent summary of the point I was trying to get across and said much more succinctly, thank you. In retrospect using such a loaded term as "willpower" may have been a mistake because I see a lot of misinterpretation of what my main point was on the basis of the use of that word being different for different people. I think bandwidth works nicely...has less emotion tied to it so it is less likely to get a strong negative reaction.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Bumping as a reminder to myself to allocate my bandwidth with a view to my biggest priorities.
  • aatishchavan
    aatishchavan Posts: 7 Member
    19 kilometers per day is great
  • ramakrishnanpravin73
    ramakrishnanpravin73 Posts: 11 Member
    Nice article. A strong willpower gives better results.
  • barbsintx
    barbsintx Posts: 9 Member
    Just AWESOME THANK YOU.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Bump :)