December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent That looks like a pretty small elevation change for such a claim. If it was in Florida or the middle of the Pancake Flat Prairies I could understand the bias. That's just a saturday long run.

Might be able to debut a half marathon at sub 2 hours then. That be cool and put me on track for a sub 4 full.

It would be a confidence booster. you're already there abilitywise, so maybe a tune up race where you go sub 2 on the half would eliminate any doubt.

I am confident with reasonable conditions I could have a sub 2 hour half. Sub-1:50 maybe even. The Sub-4 Marathon I am not yet there. Hopefully by May!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    So, smart people, I am looking at my 2018 race options and I found a Saturday half marathon in March.

https://www.active.com/harmony-pa/running/distance-running-races/shamrock-shuffle-2018?int=72-3-A1

I can not race most Sundays, and around here Sunday is when most of the big races are, so I was happy to see this one. Well here is the thing, it says:
    The Half Marathon is one of the toughest half marathons in the tri state area with a big climb about 6 miles into the race.

So as you know, hills do not scare me. I hit elevations in the four digits all the time on my runs. But was wondering just how bad the hill was. So went looking for a course map and found this:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/zelienople-pa/shamrock-shuffle-half-route-178849674

Umm... the steepest climb is 2.5% grade?? What am I missing here? How is this race "one of the toughest half marathons"? :)
    @PastorVincent Where do you get the 2.5% grade from? In the course map you linked, the "big hill" seems to climb from 306m at 7.7km to 384m at 8.4km. 78m climb over 700m is an 11% slope in my book. Maybe the result is different in miles... :p
    It's still totally doable, especially since you are used to hills. But I can see why people how don't run any hills in training would call it tough.
    It says 152m elevation gain in total. For comparison: I did two 20km races this year: one with 200m elevation gain, one with 300m elevation gain. They were both "hilly" along some parts of the course, but I wouldn't call either of them "scary". The half marathon I ran a year ago had 75m elevation gain, and I would have called that "flat".
    ... in any case: just go ahead and sign up for that race! :mrgreen:
  • _nikkiwolf_
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Quick question for everyone who owns Saucony Kinvaras: What's your experience on the life span compared to other running shoes?

After yesterdays 5km run, I woke up this morning with a bit of pain in my left knee again; when I was perfectly fine after a 14km run on Sunday. :neutral: Looking back through my running log, I noticed that this time as well as the last time (two weeks ago) my knee hurt, I had been running in the Kinvaras the evening before. So of course now I'm hoping the easy solution to fix my knee would be to replace them.
    On the other hand, it could be just a coincidence. I usually run 600km to 700km in a pair of shoes before replacing them (and then I usually only retire them because I want an excuse to buy new shoes ^^). The Kinvaras only have 460km (=285mi) on them, so they should be good for quite a few more runs...

So now I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed Kinvaras wearing out more quickly than normal?
  • Luxyp
    Luxyp Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ran 5 miles (more of a jog as it was a slow one)
    Total to date in Dec: 21 miles. Another 79 miles to go.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So, smart people, I am looking at my 2018 race options and I found a Saturday half marathon in March.

https://www.active.com/harmony-pa/running/distance-running-races/shamrock-shuffle-2018?int=72-3-A1

I can not race most Sundays, and around here Sunday is when most of the big races are, so I was happy to see this one. Well here is the thing, it says:
    The Half Marathon is one of the toughest half marathons in the tri state area with a big climb about 6 miles into the race.

So as you know, hills do not scare me. I hit elevations in the four digits all the time on my runs. But was wondering just how bad the hill was. So went looking for a course map and found this:

Umm... the steepest climb is 2.5% grade?? What am I missing here? How is this race "one of the toughest half marathons"? :)
    @PastorVincent Where do you get the 2.5% grade from? In the course map you linked, the "big hill" seems to climb from 306m at 7.7km to 384m at 8.4km. 78m climb over 700m is an 11% slope in my book. Maybe the result is different in miles... :p
    It's still totally doable, especially since you are used to hills. But I can see why people how don't run any hills in training would call it tough.
    It says 152m elevation gain in total. For comparison: I did two 20km races this year: one with 200m elevation gain, one with 300m elevation gain. They were both "hilly" along some parts of the course, but I wouldn't call either of them "scary". The half marathon I ran a year ago had 75m elevation gain, and I would have called that "flat".

@_nikkiwolf_, I get it from this:

5xytarhc2oey.png

Which is a little under the map.

:)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    12/1 – 0
    12/2 – 5 miles
    12/3 – 0
    12/4 – 7 miles
    12/5 – 5 miles

17 of 100 miles

exercise.png

The weather channel said 61F at 4:30 this morning, can't beat that for December. I walked out the door in shorts and a short sleeve and it started to rain. Went back in and grabbed a hat and light rain jacket. It rained pretty decent the entire time, but was nice. Took Macy for a walk and we just got in the door when the heavens opened up big time. My legs were tired and I was a bit too. I dropped my calories since Skip told me it time to lose the weight I gained the last year, I think the quote was "Mommy you are beautiful but that weight has to go" ha ha. I need to find that sweet spot of losing weight but fueling enough.

@RunTimer what a beautiful picture
    @ceciliaslater I hope it gets better soon. You need to put an out of order sign on the treadmills you like so others won’t get on them. ;-) Glad you were able to get on a good treadmill (I can’t believe the words good and treadmill just came out of my mouth LOL) and had no pain. Can’t help you with the Garmin question sorry.
    100% right @MobyCarp Oh, well. Running for 24 minutes beats not running at all, by a wide margin.
    @Jettaska and @abutcher2122 the ticker sometimes take a bit to catch up even when you are seeing it right on the webpage. It always catches up.
    @HonuNui love the “chopped the cherries” but you need to sing it ha ha! @katharmonic awesome meme – that song will be in my head all day
    @rolaasad I can promise you every person here started at less than 1 mile. What I love about this group is there is zero judgement and 100% support, no matter if you run ½ or 200 miles, if you are hurt, if you are coming back, if you are having a baby or getting married, if you lost someone or just want to brag on your kiddos. This group is awesome.
    @girlinahat what a great way to start the day with a catch up chat!
    @PastorVincent one man’s tough is another man’s flat.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @rolaasad I can promise you every person here started at less than 1 mile. What I love about this group is there is zero judgement and 100% support, no matter if you run ½ or 200 miles, if you are hurt, if you are coming back, if you are having a baby or getting married, if you lost someone or just want to brag on your kiddos. This group is awesome.

This is very true! We have quite a range of runners here too. Some working on their first none stop mile all the way to @JessicaMcB who is annoyed when she ONLY gets 81 miles in a run and oversleeps to FOUR AM! :lol: We have all types for sure :)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    Options

5xytarhc2oey.png

Ah, I see. But that is the hill from the less-steep direction on the way back. Guess that table is incomplete... I looked at the profile and measured the steepest bit, with is on the way out and sounds more impressive :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    Options

5xytarhc2oey.png

Ah, I see. But that is the hill from the less-steep direction on the way back. Guess that table is incomplete... I looked at the profile and measured the steepest bit, with is on the way out and sounds more impressive :smile:

Ah. Well, 11% for 700m is nothing to worry about. It will slow my pace of course but still should have good shot at a 1:50 time.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - I see the same 11% grade hill that @_nikkiwolf_ sees. It's earlier than the climb that's rated a 5, but shorter. IIRC, a cycling friend tells me that length as well as steepness go into climb ratings, which are used much more for cycling than for running. 2.5% grade would be average for the climb rated a 5, which actually has some short downhill relief in the middle. Max grade for that stretch would have to be greater.

I also totally don't get a claimed total gain of 499 ft and an elevation chart showing a trip from below 1000 ft to 1260 ft, twice, plus other smaller climbs. Something doesn't add up.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent you are a sub-4 marathoner you just haven't actually done it yet. I would say a 1:50 half should be very possible. Simple math you need to be able to run 9 minute miles for 13.1. You shown that ability.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I am confident with reasonable conditions I could have a sub 2 hour half. Sub-1:50 maybe even. The Sub-4 Marathon I am not yet there. Hopefully by May!
    Sub 1:50 HM should give you confidence for a sub-4 full. That's plenty of leeway on the timing. I'm not at sub-1:50 for HM yet, and I'm pretty sure that under good conditions I'm in the shape to go sub-4 on a full now.... If I ever run a road race again...... you got this.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    12/1 - Les Mills Body Pump / CX Works
    12/2 - 12
    12/3 - REST
    12/4 - 4
    12/5 - 2.5

18.5/80

A little short on my 3 miles today, but it was fun to run faster. It was Benjamin Frankly hard to get out of bed this morning and it sure was cold. I think it was 27. I was fine once I was bundled up and in it. Another quick two miler tomorrow before a couple rest days and then HM! I wish it was tomorrow. So. Ready.

Also, plotting my 2018 races. Kind of a mix of things I want to have fun with.

02/10/18 - Mardi Crawl 10k
    04/14/18 - Rattler Mad Moose 10k (Trail)
    06/03/18 - Gluten Free Gallop 5k
    06/23/18 - Slacker Half Marathon (it's downhill, yo)
    07/XX/18 - Something on a trail, I don't know what yet
    09/23/18 - Xterra Mountain 8k (Trail)
    10/28/18 - Kooky Spooky 10k
    11/XX/18 - A Turkey Trot 5k of some sort

I wanted to do an 8k trail race in May, but we have a trip to Mexico planned. Have a mix of trail and others. Going to spend 2018 doing long runs on trails and shorter runs as the weather and light permits closer to spring/summer.

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    12/1 9.75mi
    12/2 4mi
    12/3 rest
    12/4 4mi
    12/5 6mi

Mild and cloudy this morning. We have a warm front pushing through, but we might get snow this Sunday! And by snow I mean a light sprinkle, but it’s a big deal in these parts!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yesterday I was able to crank out 5 miles on the mill while watching The Great British Baking Show on Netflix. I'm on to season two now. The bread episode had me craving all of their breadsticks.

So now I'm up to 12 miles for December. Woot.

Yesterday was 61 degrees, and today it's only going to get into the 30s. What a rude awakening this morning. Windy as all get out too, so today's lunch walk should be a blast.
  • TaraEdVan
    TaraEdVan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started the couch 2 5k program last week as well as the NIKE running app. I found the more I did it, the more I like it and my husband actually says to me, okay, you running today and helps me set a time to run or even just comes downstairs and tinkers while I run.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    12/1-P90X CVX and yoga
    12/2-rest day
    12/3-8.3 miles
    12/4- P90X3 Warrior

I did my P90X3 workout, but I didn't do my planned yoga yesterday due to time constraints. Today is run and strength session with my trainer, so unlikely that I will be able to make up for it today. Maybe I will be able to do a power yoga session tomorrow after my P90X3 workout. I need to get that stretching in.

@JessicaMcB_ I had a similar encounter with a doe a few years ago. She came right out in front of me and we were within inches of a collision. Scared the living crap out of me. I am pretty sure I would have come up on the short end of that encounter!

@WandaVaughn - That looks like a fabulous run! My goal for 2018 is to hit more trails. I wish they were more convenient for me because I am pretty sure I would give up road running all together.

@ddsmom22 - A good run is the best hangover cure ever. Or so I've heard ;)

@PastorVincent - I am certain you will have no problem going sub 1:50 on that half marathon. You regularly train on hilly routes. I have found there is not a whole lot of difference in race times for hilly vs. flat courses if you are used to running similar elevation changes. I ran a half marathon last month that had around 600ft of elevation change and was only about a minute and a half off of my PR, which probably had more to do with lack of training than the actual course. If you are used to running hills, the difference in time lost on the uphills is usually less than the time you make up on the downhills, IMO.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options

I need to find that sweet spot of losing weight but fueling enough.

When you figure that out let me know! I’m struggling losing the last 5 pounds, but when I cut calories my running suffers.