AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    12/1 = 4 miles
    12/2 = 4 miles
    12/3 = 7 miles
    12/4 = 4.5 miles
    12/5 = rest day

So, I woke up (early without my alarm) all excited because a cold front came through last night. Dropped the temp to 55 degrees F. Alas, I have a taper/ rest day thing scheduled. Guess I am going into work early instead. My running training app only has 5 miles over two runs scheduled until Sunday. I am going to be climbing the walls here pretty soon.

December Goal = Run a freakin marathon and not die.

Upcoming Races
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6 = River Road Run 1/2 marathon
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @HonuNui - I find myself eating Christmas cake well past Easter. When my mum makes fruit cake it's basically fruit bonded together with a small amount of cake mixture. Dark and yummy. Christmas cake of course is made in about October and soaked in brandy frequently, so rarely dries out......

Yep, I made my Christmas cake in October and it's been getting a weekly soaking. It's going to be sooooo good by the time I'm ready to eat it. And I've found some Wensleydale cheese to go with it too.

Got a 5k run scheduled for tonight. I'll probably do it on the treadmill rather than go outside in the dark. Haven't really got a goal for this month, but I have completed my challenge for the year which was to run at least one road race per month. And I'm already signed up for my January and February 2018 races.

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - some people would call my holiday streak crazy (or me crazy for doing it while cycling and lifting.). The first day I ran a mile after a long bike ride I thought I would die - my calves were SO tight and felt like bricks. But the next time it was easier and this weekend it was fine. I think the most amazing thing I did was run on 12/1 after way too much wine at a banquet the night prior. I woke up thinking ... "I'm going to be sick on this run, but just get it done". And I was fine, in fact seemed to cure the hangover. Not that I recommend following my example.

12/1 - 1.5 miles #RWRunStreak Day9
    12/2 - 43 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day 10
    12/3 - 40 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day 11
    12/4 - 3.1 miles + String Training Glutes W3-A - #RWRunStreak Day 12
    12/5 - 4 miles -- #RWRunStreak Day 13

Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19

exercise.png
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    So I found out last minute yesterday that Ben was leaving again this morning so he'll basically be gone 95% of the time until Christmas going between different remote northern locations and Fort Mac. Pretty depressing but rig wife realities, so we stayed up way too late and my lazy *kitten* didn't wake up until 4 this morning, so I had to curtail my run to be back in time.

I'll probably do speed work tonight after the girls go to bed because thats lousy effort on my part :/

December 1- 18
    December 2- 52
    December 3- 20+8
    December 4- 20
    December 5- 16

134/626km

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    ???Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7
    ???Lewiston Trail Ultra September 29

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So, smart people, I am looking at my 2018 race options and I found a Saturday half marathon in March.

https://www.active.com/harmony-pa/running/distance-running-races/shamrock-shuffle-2018?int=72-3-A1

I can not race most Sundays, and around here Sunday is when most of the big races are, so I was happy to see this one. Well here is the thing, it says:
    The Half Marathon is one of the toughest half marathons in the tri state area with a big climb about 6 miles into the race.

So as you know, hills do not scare me. I hit elevations in the four digits all the time on my runs. But was wondering just how bad the hill was. So went looking for a course map and found this:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/zelienople-pa/shamrock-shuffle-half-route-178849674

Umm... the steepest climb is 2.5% grade?? What am I missing here? How is this race "one of the toughest half marathons"? :)

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @JessicaMcB you lazy lout.... sleeping in all the way to 0400, I can't believe it....LOL

December goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 120?? I really don't know. Going for like 70% trail

12/1- 7.2
    12/2- 8.2
    12/3- 9.5
    12/4- 5.8
    12/5- REST

Total: 16.7

Today's notes: Ugh... I knew it, I just knew it. I went for my Tuesday run last night, in anticipation of 5-7in (12.7-17.8cm) of snow along with sustained 20mph winds through the night and morning.... Well, That didn't happen. My running OCD is going insane! I didn't sleep well last night, waiting to see how much I was going to have to shovel, and now, there's nothing! Ugh...... Last nights run was good enough that I knew I shouldn't break my schedule by running today, but still.....ugh.....

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    So, smart people, I am looking at my 2018 race options and I found a Saturday half marathon in March.

https://www.active.com/harmony-pa/running/distance-running-races/shamrock-shuffle-2018?int=72-3-A1

I can not race most Sundays, and around here Sunday is when most of the big races are, so I was happy to see this one. Well here is the thing, it says:
    The Half Marathon is one of the toughest half marathons in the tri state area with a big climb about 6 miles into the race.

So as you know, hills do not scare me. I hit elevations in the four digits all the time on my runs. But was wondering just how bad the hill was. So went looking for a course map and found this:

Umm... the steepest climb is 2.5% grade?? What am I missing here? How is this race "one of the toughest half marathons"? :)

Often I find these are buzz words that races like to play up to attract entrants. In an age where the racing industry is starting to hemmorage money and collapse it makes sense that they would want to make themselves seem exclusive in some way. This is not helped by the fact that there are generally no tangible standard they are required to meet to make such a claim and difficulty is "subjective". A good example in Alberta can be found between CDR, Sin 7 and LSU- all claim to be the toughest ultra in the province while being vastly different races (and therefore pretty hard to accurately compare imo).

Personally I don't think this half is something for you to sweat Pastor V, it doesn't look like anything you can't bang out
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Perhaps it's tough compared to the other HMs in the area? You'll totally ace it.

This is the half I've done a couple of times (Boston Marathoners will recognize part of the route). It was known as the Very Hilly Chilly and the best bit was running down Heartbreak Hill. The route changed a couple of years ago and the race is now known as the Not So Hillly Chilly.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/newton-ma/chilly-half-marathon-route-12076262
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Often I find these are buzz words that races like to play up to attract entrants. In an age where the racing industry is starting to hemmorage money and collapse it makes sense that they would want to make themselves seem exclusive in some way. This is not helped by the fact that there are generally no tangible standard they are required to meet to make such a claim and difficulty is "subjective". A good example in Alberta can be found between CDR, Sin 7 and LSU- all claim to be the toughest ultra in the province while being vastly different races (and therefore pretty hard to accurately compare imo).

Personally I don't think this half is something for you to sweat Pastor V, it doesn't look like anything you can't bang out

Thanks, but y'all do have a rather elevated impression of what I can do!

Though, in this case, I am forced to agree. My run this weekend had more hills and more feet and I thought of it as a comfortable run:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1301088960

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Perhaps it's tough compared to the other HMs in the area? You'll totally ace it.

Hmm. Maybe? This will be my first actual HM race I have run (yeah, I jumped right to fulls. Silly me!) so I do not have anything to compare it to. But "tri-state" seems to imply THREE STATES. That is an awfully bold claim.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    December Running Challenge
    Goal: 90 km
    Ran: 18/90 km

5/12/17 Run 6 km
    4/12/17 Run 6 km
    3/12/17 Walk 1 hour
    2/12/17 rest day
    1/12/17 6 km
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Hmm. Maybe? This will be my first actual HM race I have run (yeah, I jumped right to fulls. Silly me!) so I do not have anything to compare it to. But "tri-state" seems to imply THREE STATES. That is an awfully bold claim.

maybe the HMs in the area are just wimpy?
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 5 miles. Still loving the warmer than average weather!
    12/2 - 5 miles.
    12/3 - Busy / rest day.
    12/4 - 5.15 miles. This weather is nuts! It was 63° at 4:45 a.m.
    12/5 - 4.75 miles. 35° temperature drop in 24 hours...Brrr!

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Jettaska wrote: »

exercise.png
    My snowman just stands still even if it should be at nineteen and 81 to go.
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    exercise.png
    @Jettaska Some times TF is slow to update.
    Darn your snowman is ahead of mine, I need to hit the trails.

@PastorVincent That looks like a pretty small elevation change for such a claim. If it was in Florida or the middle of the Pancake Flat Prairies I could understand the bias. That's just a saturday long run.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent That looks like a pretty small elevation change for such a claim. If it was in Florida or the middle of the Pancake Flat Prairies I could understand the bias. That's just a saturday long run.

Might be able to debut a half marathon at sub 2 hours then. That be cool and put me on track for a sub 4 full.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December

12/1 5 miles - 5
    12/2 14.5 miles - 19.5
    12/3 REST DAY
    12/4 8 miles - 27.5
    12/5 9.5 miles - 37

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

• MNLittleFinn
    Options

Might be able to debut a half marathon at sub 2 hours then. That be cool and put me on track for a sub 4 full.

It would be a confidence booster. you're already there abilitywise, so maybe a tune up race where you go sub 2 on the half would eliminate any doubt.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    12/01 - Intentional rest day
    12/02 - Run Santa Run 5k - 22:11 PR!
    12/03 - 13.5 miles @ 9:24
    12/04 - unplanned rest day
    12/05 - ?

Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

02/10/18 - Valentine's Day 15k
    03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Looking bad for schedule-wise to get a run in today, too many meetings and sadly they are important ones but I wanted to update my race schedule before I forgot. :)