December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Only time for 1.84 miles this morning to keep the streak going. Love reading everyone's adult onset running stories. As far as "normal" - it's just a setting on the dryer.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 does your Petzl Tikk have the ability to turn on and off just in red mode without activating the white light?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    December goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 120?? I really don't know. Going for like 70% trail

12/1- 7.2
    12/2- 8.2
    12/3- 9.5
    12/4- 5.8
    12/5- REST
    12/6- 6.5
    12/7- REST

Total: 37.2

Today's notes: Rest day today, and for the first time in several weeks, I'm actually antsy. Ugh, going to get through the day. I know I need the rest. Tomorrow's repeats are going to push me a bunch, so I better be happy to take today easy.

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December

12/1 5 miles - 5
    12/2 14.5 miles - 19.5
    12/3 REST DAY
    12/4 8 miles - 27.5
    12/5 9.5 miles - 37
    12/6 4.25 miles - 41.25
    12/7 10 miles - 51.25

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

• hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    @shanaber
    Thanks for the update on the kinvaras. Perhaps I'll give them another go once my Vazees need to be retired.
    I'm loving the ON Cloudventures though!

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Kinvaras have been my go to shoes since spring 2014. Kinvara 4s, I'd get about 300 miles. Kinvara 5s, 400 to 500 miles. Kinvara 6s, pretty consistently 500 miles. Kinvara 7s, still in the boxes waiting for the 6s to be end of life.

HOWEVER . . . somewhere in there, my podiatrist had me start using Superfeet Blue inserts. The increased lifespan of the Kinvaras roughly coincides with when I started using the Superfeet and discarding the inserts that come with the shoe.

OTHER RANDOM FACTOID: I have a running buddy who always wears Kinvaras and gets 600 to 800 miles out of them. He may have tougher feet and legs than I do.

So . . . I'd say it's inconclusive. For sure, the Kinvaras don't last as long as the Saucony Peregrines (trail shoes); I retired my first pair of Peregrines at 500 miles out of concern for the tread, and how they've held up with lawn mowing and snow shoveling indicates I might have retired them early.

But yeah, I suspect on the average Kinvaras last toward to low end of a typical running shoe's life span. I can live with that, because they're very common and I can always buy an old version cheaper than list of the current version.
    @MobyCarp It's true, getting the Kinvaras for a good price is easy :)

Judging by price/km alone, I could retire them now:

tns5zhkobok7.jpg

At least it's possible that (since I don't use special inserts) it's not only my imagination, they might actually really start wearing out as I'm getting close to 300mi.

@_nikkiwolf_ I'm impressed that you have this kind of data. What app/program did you use?
    It's a website called runningahead .
    It's a training log I've used for years - before I ever discovered Strava, and I still use it.
    For shoes, you can add all kinds of info, like name, purchase date, price, "initial milage" ( I guess if you are switching from another running log) and notes. Then when I upload a run, I only have to select the shoe from a dropdown list. And in the end I can see the price/km in the equipment list. I'm only missing the option to use different currencies for the price :wink:

It also lets you create all kinds of graphs like "monthly distance" or "pace vs day". Here's an example ("distance vs week:")
    qbdlu4ofiqkc.png

That's a great tool. I'd wondered why Garmin hasn't offered a distance vs calories or weight comparison. #HintHintGarmin. Seem critical info since it can be important to find that sweet spot.

@garygse How's your recovery coming?
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @juliet3455 does your Petzl Tikk have the ability to turn on and off just in red mode without activating the white light?

@PastorVincent Yes it does. It powers up in what ever mode you used last. So if you put it in Red mode and then turn it off, when you turn it on it comes up in red mode. I have never tried to run in red mode, would be great for those doing astronomy. There is only one pwr level in red and not sure if the low battery warning feature works in red.

@_nikkiwolf_ Nice data, but whats this Treadmill thing they have listed in the ledger??
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    12/1 – 0
    12/2 – 5 miles
    12/3 – 0
    12/4 – 7 miles
    12/5 – 5 miles
    12/6 - 0 miles
    12/7 – 6 miles

23 of 100 miles

exercise.png

@Teresa502 I’m 100% jealous of that view
    @eponine1984 great story and good job! Happy Anniversary.
    @kgirlhart I’m the same way I really enjoy running in the colder weather if the wind isn’t killing me but it’s getting my butt out there, once I’m out there I’m fine.
    @JessicaMcB sweet babies!
    @sarahthes sorry for the twisted ankle I hope it’s feeling better. What is a Candy Cane Lane? I’ll be waiting for my care package of cookies, thank you. I totally want a Christmas dragon.
    @shanaber what a good hubby!! Happy Birthday again  Sounds like an awesome trip. It’s so heartbreaking to see the fires flare up again.
    @_nikkiwolf_ that a really neat program

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    12/7 10.01 miles
    Managed another day in the cold, but still not my favorite thing.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @eponine1984 fantastic run!

I skipped my run last night. Too bad too, as it was a beautiful night for running. About 18F and not too windy.

First I had to play taxi for my son, then my wife and I had to go pick up a used car we bought yesterday for my son to use this summer during his internship in Milwaukee. By the time I got back to the house it was nearly 10pm and with an early day today, I skipped it. Going to try for 8 miles tonight.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ Nice data, but whats this Treadmill thing they have listed in the ledger??
    Ah, you caught me... I swear I only used the evil machine once at the beginning of March, that's all!
    That was a combination of severe thunderstorms with really big hail stones on a long run day, combined with the realisation that I forgot to cancel the gym membership and felt like I should justify the fact that I'm paying them for another six month. So half of my long run was done inside. And then the apocalyptic weather improved to mere torrential rain, and I could do the second half outside. I still haven't recovered from the traumatic experience of spending 101minutes and 17 seconds running in place. *shudder* mrgreen:

You can define your own categories for runs, that's how the "zombie chases" ended up in the legend too, those were missing by default...
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    gp599j7w6l6z.jpg

My running season is officially over and it looks like my 50k run will not happen. The tail end of January is just a little too close to recover from 4 weeks off.

Went to the orthopedist and they looked at my x-rays and said my foot wasn't healing, it was breaking so yay for stress fracture. The rock I caught in the side of my foot caused a weak point that propagated and got worse. I now get at least 4 weeks in a boot and we will see from there.

On the plus side I ran more this year than I ever have before in my life. My goal for the year was 1000 miles and I made it to 1317 miles. I'm not sure what/how I'm going to change things for next year since this injury was mostly a stroke of bad luck but we will see.

Good luck and good health to everyone, I'll lurk as is customary for us injured people but I'm pretty quiet to begin with :)
  • bossymom15
    bossymom15 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So thought I would try this to keep me motivated. It's hard here in the plains, get off work at 5 and it's dark by 5:30. I'll have to add in some walking at lunches. to make it.

32 miles.
    Bossymom15

12/2 - 4.5 miles
    12/6 - 1.3 mile - ran till it was too dark. Our roads aren't so great, don't want to fall on my face. Looking forward to Saturday. the weather should be perfect.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »

My running season is officially over and it looks like my 50k run will not happen. The tail end of January is just a little too close to recover from 4 weeks off.

Oh no! I'm so sorry!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

BOO! :(

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options

And that's the story of how I ran for an hour straight for the first time ever in my life.

Awesome!!! This is great! I don't think I have run an hour straight yet! You rock girl.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    gp599j7w6l6z.jpg

Went to the orthopedist and they looked at my x-rays and said my foot wasn't healing, it was breaking so yay for stress fracture. The rock I caught in the side of my foot caused a weak point that propagated and got worse. I now get at least 4 weeks in a boot and we will see from there.

On the plus side I ran more this year than I ever have before in my life. My goal for the year was 1000 miles and I made it to 1317 miles. I'm not sure what/how I'm going to change things for next year since this injury was mostly a stroke of bad luck but we will see.

Good luck and good health to everyone, I'll lurk as is customary for us injured people but I'm pretty quiet to begin with :)

@Azercord I'm sorry to hear that. That is great though that you met your goal and crushed it. I am sure that after this, you will come back and do great things again next year.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    gp599j7w6l6z.jpg

Oh man, that stinks. :'( Let it heal and then come back stronger than before!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    UGH! @Azercord - Take care of that foot! While 4 weeks seems like a long time, you will be back out there before you know it! Just be sure to take it slowly and really let it heal!