December 3 - 5km club run / strength training
    December 4 - 12 km treadmill
    December 5 - 12 km treadmill
    December 6 - 16 km run

71 km - goal 350 km
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent When I ran my October race, one of the suggestions I got from Tailwind was to have a bottle of concentrate and to make up for it at the Aide Stations, so that's a doable option. I ended up not doing that, because with crew, I could afford not to, but for a marathon, that could be a great option.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    hist_doc wrote: »
    Quick question for everyone who owns Saucony Kinvaras: What's your experience on the life span compared to other running shoes?

After yesterdays 5km run, I woke up this morning with a bit of pain in my left knee again; when I was perfectly fine after a 14km run on Sunday. :neutral: Looking back through my running log, I noticed that this time as well as the last time (two weeks ago) my knee hurt, I had been running in the Kinvaras the evening before. So of course now I'm hoping the easy solution to fix my knee would be to replace them.
    On the other hand, it could be just a coincidence. I usually run 600km to 700km in a pair of shoes before replacing them (and then I usually only retire them because I want an excuse to buy new shoes ^^). The Kinvaras only have 460km (=285mi) on them, so they should be good for quite a few more runs...

So now I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed Kinvaras wearing out more quickly than normal?

@_nikkiwolf_
    Kinvaras used to be my "go to" shoe, but I noticed that the last pair I bought wore out rather quickly and I haven't bought them since. Like you, I experienced odd knee and hip pain. I believe I was wearing version 7 at the time, purchased in 2016--don't quote me on that because I had a baby recently and my memory isn't what it used to be! I now alternate between ONs Cloudventure (for light trail runs) and New Balance Vazee (which I have found to be similar to the Kinvaras).
    @hist_doc Thanks for your reply! Hmm, my Kinvaras happen to be version 7. Bought in September 2016, so we are very likely talking about the same shoes.

7lenny7 wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ I have a pair of Kinvara trail shoes but have not wore them yet. One thing I noticed when I bought them is that they are quite a bit lighter than my other trail shoes. Could the lighter weight lead to less life span?
    @7lenny7 Maybe. But I generally buy light-weight neutral shoes. Looking at the other Sauconys I've got in my rotation (I just realised that half my shoes are Saucony! and that I have too many running shoes. No, actually I didn't just realise that, I've know it for a while :wink: ), it can't be weight alone. The datasheet values are:
    - Saucony Kinvara 7 - 4mm drop, 184g
    - Saucony Cortana 4 - 4mm drop, 176g
    - Saucony Zealot - 4mm drop, 204g
    - Saucony Xodus 6.0 GTX - 4mm drop, 301g

The Xodus are heavier, so they don't compare, and I've only worn them for about 300km. But the other two are quite close in weight to the Kinvaras.
    The Zealots are just a tiny bit heavier, they are now at 584km and still no problems so far.
    The Cortona 4 are slightly lighter than the Kinvaras. They are my all-time favourite running shoe. I ran 656km on the first pair, no problem. When I managed to find another pair (sadly, the model is discontinued, so that wasn't easy!), I've decided to move the old ones to my parents place for holidays and am now 305km into the new pair, but I'm expecting to clock some more distance with the old ones over Christmas.

I don't know... I guess I will just stop using the Kinvaras for now and see if that fixes the knee pain. If yes, I might give them one more chance in January. If no.. :disappointed:

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 thanks for the weight running balance info. Very informative. I lost weight while running before, but I was maxing out at half of what I’m running now. At my happy weight I was running about 40 miles more a month than I am now. Skip looked at the On Cloud shoes a couple weeks ago, she ran all over the parking in them came back into Fleet Feet and said I hate them for running, love them for walking, the owner said “me too”. Oh geesh. She didn’t like the feel of the tread on her feet if that makes sense. You need some snow googles.

@skippygirlsmom I tried both the On Running trail shoes and road shoes. I LOVE the trail shoes. I hate the road shoes, for the same reason Skip mentioned. I couldn't believe the difference. I have no idea why the pads don't bother me at all on the trails but drive my nuts on pavement.

I did buy some ski goggles a couple of years ago just for running, but decided to return them because I didn't think I'd use them much. I may buy some again. This starts my third winter running and this is the third time I could have used them. I wouldn't use them much, but when I did, I'd be pretty grateful for having them.

@pastorvincent is that 100 calories per scoop, or per hour? (ETA: I guess since you say you'd use 1 scoop per hour, it's a silly question!) If per hour, that seems pretty low. I hear 200 to 250 calories per hour is pretty common. I plan on 300 calories per hour and that worked well, for me. I make my own gel, which is just diluted honey with a bit of molasses (for the potassium) put in a soft flask with a bite valve. This allows me to sip it a little bit at a time, rather than take in an entire gel pack. It's much cleaner. No sticky mess at all. I do, though, have to carry water with me so I could always wash down the honey. The water stops also had gatorade so I factored that into my calorie intake as well. It sounds like you've done your homework and are getting a good plan put together that will work for you.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @7lenny7 Tailwind is 100 calories per scoop. they recommend 2-3 scoops in 24oz of water per hour, depending on what you are doing,
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 and @amymoreorless I just got an email that tomorrow Dec 6th, Leakycon is releasing more tickets because I guess they are moving to a bigger facility. So tomorrow at 2pm EST, there will be more tickets!!!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 isn't that weird about the On Cloud. She said she would love to wear them with jeans, but not to run. Needless to say "to wear with jeans" wasn't happening. We will have to look at the trail shoes, hers don't fit anymore.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@pastorvincent is that 100 calories per scoop, or per hour? (ETA: I guess since you say you'd use 1 scoop per hour, it's a silly question!) If per hour, that seems pretty low.

100 Cals per scope. I need to do a good 4+ hour test with it, so might increase my scopes at that time. Just need time and weather. :):lol:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

@pastorvincent is that 100 calories per scoop, or per hour? (ETA: I guess since you say you'd use 1 scoop per hour, it's a silly question!) If per hour, that seems pretty low.

100 Cals per scope. I need to do a good 4+ hour test with it, so might increase my scopes at that time. Just need time and weather. :):lol:
    um.... you can run in about any weather you know.......LOL... I do know what you mean though
  • PastorVincent
    Options

um.... you can run in about any weather you know.......LOL... I do know what you mean though

I just came in from 10 miles in the rain... it was not my favorite thing ever. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    12/01 - Intentional rest day
    12/02 - Run Santa Run 5k - 22:11 PR!
    12/03 - 13.5 miles @ 9:24
    12/04 - unplanned rest day
    12/05 - 10.1 miles @ 9:21

Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

02/10/18 - Valentine's Day 15k
    03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Wife was out with her friends, and the kid was still at school AND the weather seemed to dry up, so before I could think better of it I rushed out the door for a run. I knew I did not have time for a long run, but figure I get what I could.

Run started fine, 15 mph winds but mid 40s temp so not bad. Left the down coat at home :) But it was not more than a couple miles in it started to rain again. It alternated between gentle and downpour. But as is the way with us weird people who run... I have a hard time STARTING to run when it rains, but if it rains AFTER I am out there already I am fine.

My new Darn Tough socks earn their pay today though. I worked hard at avoiding puddles and streams, but my feet still ended up soaked. Darn Tough did not care, feet were still nice and cozy.

So I often see deer, bunnies, birds, and etc on runs but today I had a real fist. A MOUSE cut across the pavement in front of me. Normally mice are much more skittish and stay hidded, not this one. Not sure what was up with the critter, but it just jogged on by and into the nearby grass.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @7lenny7 Tailwind is 100 calories per scoop. they recommend 2-3 scoops in 24oz of water per hour, depending on what you are doing,

Yeah. I think the last test I did was 3 hours with 4 scopes and 40oz of water.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

I just came in from 10 miles in the rain... it was not my favorite thing ever. :)

Playful sarcasm time...... you just didn't go far enough..... 62 in the rain IS fun...... B)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @PastorVincent That's awesome!
  • _em_soph_
    _em_soph_ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ill go for around 50 miles. This is an odd month for me after Saturday and I probably shouldn't push it too much. I will try to do road runs 3-4 miles at an easy pace - around a 8-minute mile 3 times a week.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Ill go for around 50 miles. This is an odd month for me after Saturday and I probably shouldn't push it too much. I will try to do road runs 3-4 miles at an easy pace - around a 8-minute mile 3 times a week.

That sounds great to me!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    hist_doc wrote: »
    Quick question for everyone who owns Saucony Kinvaras: What's your experience on the life span compared to other running shoes?

After yesterdays 5km run, I woke up this morning with a bit of pain in my left knee again; when I was perfectly fine after a 14km run on Sunday. :neutral: Looking back through my running log, I noticed that this time as well as the last time (two weeks ago) my knee hurt, I had been running in the Kinvaras the evening before. So of course now I'm hoping the easy solution to fix my knee would be to replace them.
    On the other hand, it could be just a coincidence. I usually run 600km to 700km in a pair of shoes before replacing them (and then I usually only retire them because I want an excuse to buy new shoes ^^). The Kinvaras only have 460km (=285mi) on them, so they should be good for quite a few more runs...

So now I'm wondering if anybody else has noticed Kinvaras wearing out more quickly than normal?

@_nikkiwolf_
    Kinvaras used to be my "go to" shoe, but I noticed that the last pair I bought wore out rather quickly and I haven't bought them since. Like you, I experienced odd knee and hip pain. I believe I was wearing version 7 at the time, purchased in 2016--don't quote me on that because I had a baby recently and my memory isn't what it used to be! I now alternate between ONs Cloudventure (for light trail runs) and New Balance Vazee (which I have found to be similar to the Kinvaras).
    @hist_doc Thanks for your reply! Hmm, my Kinvaras happen to be version 7. Bought in September 2016, so we are very likely talking about the same shoes.

@_nikkiwolf_ I have a pair of Kinvara trail shoes but have not wore them yet. One thing I noticed when I bought them is that they are quite a bit lighter than my other trail shoes. Could the lighter weight lead to less life span?
    @7lenny7 Maybe. But I generally buy light-weight neutral shoes. Looking at the other Sauconys I've got in my rotation (I just realised that half my shoes are Saucony! and that I have too many running shoes. No, actually I didn't just realise that, I've know it for a while :wink: ), it can't be weight alone. The datasheet values are:
    - Saucony Kinvara 7 - 4mm drop, 184g
    - Saucony Cortana 4 - 4mm drop, 176g
    - Saucony Zealot - 4mm drop, 204g
    - Saucony Xodus 6.0 GTX - 4mm drop, 301g

The Xodus are heavier, so they don't compare, and I've only worn them for about 300km. But the other two are quite close in weight to the Kinvaras.
    The Zealots are just a tiny bit heavier, they are now at 584km and still no problems so far.
    The Cortona 4 are slightly lighter than the Kinvaras. They are my all-time favourite running shoe. I ran 656km on the first pair, no problem. When I managed to find another pair (sadly, the model is discontinued, so that wasn't easy!), I've decided to move the old ones to my parents place for holidays and am now 305km into the new pair, but I'm expecting to clock some more distance with the old ones over Christmas.

I don't know... I guess I will just stop using the Kinvaras for now and see if that fixes the knee pain. If yes, I might give them one more chance in January. If no.. :disappointed:

Kinvaras have been my go to shoes since spring 2014. Kinvara 4s, I'd get about 300 miles. Kinvara 5s, 400 to 500 miles. Kinvara 6s, pretty consistently 500 miles. Kinvara 7s, still in the boxes waiting for the 6s to be end of life.

HOWEVER . . . somewhere in there, my podiatrist had me start using Superfeet Blue inserts. The increased lifespan of the Kinvaras roughly coincides with when I started using the Superfeet and discarding the inserts that come with the shoe.

OTHER RANDOM FACTOID: I have a running buddy who always wears Kinvaras and gets 600 to 800 miles out of them. He may have tougher feet and legs than I do.

So . . . I'd say it's inconclusive. For sure, the Kinvaras don't last as long as the Saucony Peregrines (trail shoes); I retired my first pair of Peregrines at 500 miles out of concern for the tread, and how they've held up with lawn mowing and snow shoveling indicates I might have retired them early.

But yeah, I suspect on the average Kinvaras last toward to low end of a typical running shoe's life span. I can live with that, because they're very common and I can always buy an old version cheaper than list of the current version.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    4 miles treadmill today
    ~23 miles out of 93 completed so far in December

Laptop is being repaired and hate typing on my phone so will catch up with you all later