Options

Replies

• hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    SusanDSME wrote: »
    @hjeppley How is 10 mi a fun run? That doesn't sound like fun, that sounds serious!

It's all a matter of context- 10 miles of trail can be fun+ if it's high level tech and you're used to the distance. I find basically anything under 50k can be classified as a fun run if the tech is good enough to entertain (lousy trails needs not apply :D )

Yeah, this "Fun Run" was associated with a 50K and a 50 miler on the same technical course with 1800 ft elevation gain, so definitely "Fun" compared to those. It was certainly a serious race for me though, coming back from injury for the last 9 months! I had to hike all the steep uphills and there were a few steep downhills that were really scary--super steep, 1 ft of fluffy leaves and no idea where to stick your feet.

I am still hoping to do a 50 miler in the next year or so, but I am not sure this is the course to do my first even though it was a beautiful course. Maybe I'll try for the flatter (1200 ft elev in 20 mile rather than 1600 ft elev in 10 mile) 50 miler in mid October and come back and do the 50 K at this one next year. They had a really nice indoor set up for drop bags and crew. Those of you experienced ultra runners, how much time did you need to recover from your first 50 miler?

Plan for today is water walking and some yoga. Quads still really hurt from those hills!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @rolaasad Welcome!! You are at the right place!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @hjeppley Idk that I would call myself an experienced anything but I raced Whistler 50 Miler on October 14 and ran my first training run post race on October 18 (only 15k though). According to my log I was back on the same days on, days off from there on and my miles volume was back up to normal the following week with a long run of 100k. @MNLittleFinn ran his 100k a week after I ran Whistler and didn't take much more time off I don't think?

Didn't mean to come across as saying your race wasn't serious by the way, it sounds awesome! I just love to party on trail, how can people not have fun out there?! :D
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    December Running Challenge
    Goal: 90 km
    Ran: 12/90 km

4/12/17 Run 6 km
    3/12/17 Walk 1 hour
    2/12/17 rest day
    1/12/17 6 km
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 5 miles. Still loving the warmer than average weather!
    12/2 - 5 miles.
    12/3 - Busy / rest day.
    12/4 - 5.15 miles. This weather is nuts! It was 63° at 4:45 a.m.

exercise.png
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

12/1 = 4 miles
    12/2 = 4 miles
    12/3 = 7 miles
    12/4 = 4.5 miles

@BruinsGal_91 So sorry to hear about your mom. :(

@RespectTheKitty Hooray for glorious outdoor runs! I am glad you got to enjoy it.

December goal = Run a freakin’ marathon and not die

Upcoming Races
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6 = River Road Run 1/2 marathon
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Need to introduce your cougar friend to your deer friends...

I actually am not opposed to this union as it addresses most of my problems. Anyone have a suggestion re: what to do with the moose? :D
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Need to introduce your cougar friend to your deer friends...

Either that, or clean out the deer so the cougar moves on to somewhere with better hunting.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Half marathon finishers get a medal and I do love shiny things. I think it would be amazing to say I participated in the first year and try to make it an annual thing. Decisions, decisions.

@eponine1984 I say go for the half. :) If your anything like me, “thinking about it” means it’s already decided. Plus, you can never have enough shiny bling.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    12/1-P90X CVX and yoga
    12/2-rest day
    12/3-8.3 miles

Very busy weekend. Had to do some major re-organizing of my schedule to fit even a small run in. Ended up running yesterday evening, first 2 miles with the dog to get her out a bit then finished it off solo for a total of 8.3 miles. Not really the distance I would have liked, but glad to get something in. Bonus that it was a beautiful evening with a full moon, so made for a nice, peaceful run.

@BruinsGal_91 - So sorry to hear of the loss of your mom. I am sure racing for her felt very inspired.
    Congrats to @hjeppley, @PastorVincent and @rheddmobile (and anyone else I may have inadvertently missed while hastily skimming the hundreds of weekend posts) on your impressive race performances!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @hjeppley Idk that I would call myself an experienced anything but I raced Whistler 50 Miler on October 14 and ran my first training run post race on October 18 (only 15k though). According to my log I was back on the same days on, days off from there on and my miles volume was back up to normal the following week with a long run of 100k. @MNLittleFinn ran his 100k a week after I ran Whistler and didn't take much more time off I don't think?

I took like 6 days off after my 100k, but part of that was because I was waiting to talk to my coach about training schedules. The other part was my calves didn't want me to run yet.