Options

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 4.2
    12/2 - 2.5

December total: 6.7 / ???

This Fitbit is making me realize just how lazy my lazy winter weekends are.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Congrats in the PR! Proving once again your awesomeness :)

Thanks!

Well, awesome should be reserved for the likes of @JessicaMcB and company. :) I am just some random guy trying to outrun his very real need for a pacemaker...
    Quit trying to hide from it. You're awesome.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    12/1: rest
    12/2: 5k - St Jude Marathon weekend 5k
    0n77nfnktc5w.jpg

We had a great time!

My husband and I had one main goal this time. Since this was only our second 5k race and our first after completing c25k, we just wanted to run the whole distance with no walk breaks. Easy peasy. In fact we finished, looked at each other, and said, When does the race start? I feel like we could do that all over!

Our time was 38:03 according to the chip - according to our gps it was somewhat faster. I had hoped for a time better than 36 minutes but did not achieve this - learned a lot about running a big race with 5000 people though! I had diligently figured out my projected finishing time, entered it on my registration form, looked up and gotten in the correct corral. Crowd starts slowly inching towards the starting line. And across it. And slowly inching towards the finish line. And I suddenly realize - I am surrounded by walkers! Not a single person besides me read the sign up information and walkers are all over the place, including in the second corral (first corral was reserved for elites) frequently ten abreast, arms linked, wearing matching t-shirts. Or obliviously typing on their phones as they slowly strolled forwards! It seems like, compared to our first, smaller race, there were a lot fewer serious runners in this one and a lot higher percentage of walkers, probably because the serious runners were mostly competing at longer distances.

The gps says we traveled .2 extra miles, which involved looping around the walkers and trying to get through. It also says we were forced to walk for almost the entire first two minutes of the race before reaching open ground enough that we were able to run. As we headed under the Convention Center, the 5k merged briefly with the marathon, and we were able to run a little by veering left into the marathoners and running alongside them, passing hundreds of 5k walkers. But all too soon the marathoners went their way and we went ours, back into yet more walkers. At that point it felt more like playing football than anything else, dodging sideways and trying to slip between people who had no intention of moving even if you said excuse me. My husband and I had to go single file and take whatever openings we could.

Mile 2 of this 5k is really groovy, you run through the St Jude Children's Hospital campus and the children come out and line the streets and cheer for you and slap hands. Then up a big hill over an overpass and down into the baseball stadium. We had driven this hill before and were a little afraid of running it, but race day energy made it seem like nothing.

Anyway, even being slowed down by having to go around so many people, I placed 37th out of 250 in my age group, which I think is not bad for someone who weighed 100 lbs more this time last year, and first ran 5k less than a month ago! Altogether a very successful day, and a learning experience as far as what corral to start in.

Congratulations on completing your first of many races. You write very well. I feel like I ran this race also.

Last year I ran in a half in which there were a lot of walkers, and mid-race some people stopped to take selfies. I almost knocked some people down trying to find holes to run through. I am not sure if it is better to lie about one's finishing time to avoid corals of walkers or to just "deal" with it or find smaller attended races. Large races are a lot of fun.

Having fun is the most important part. I hope that you had fun. Congratulations on your high placement.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I only completed 15 miles in November and was mostly absent in the November thread. All of my December miles in 2016 were on the treadmill. This month I would like to complete at least 50% of my miles outdoors. My goal will be 40 miles due to the holidays impinging on some of my plans.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    12/1: rest
    12/2: 5k - St Jude Marathon weekend 5k
    0n77nfnktc5w.jpg

We had a great time!

My husband and I had one main goal this time. Since this was only our second 5k race and our first after completing c25k, we just wanted to run the whole distance with no walk breaks. Easy peasy. In fact we finished, looked at each other, and said, When does the race start? I feel like we could do that all over!

Our time was 38:03 according to the chip - according to our gps it was somewhat faster. I had hoped for a time better than 36 minutes but did not achieve this - learned a lot about running a big race with 5000 people though! I had diligently figured out my projected finishing time, entered it on my registration form, looked up and gotten in the correct corral. Crowd starts slowly inching towards the starting line. And across it. And slowly inching towards the finish line. And I suddenly realize - I am surrounded by walkers! Not a single person besides me read the sign up information and walkers are all over the place, including in the second corral (first corral was reserved for elites) frequently ten abreast, arms linked, wearing matching t-shirts. Or obliviously typing on their phones as they slowly strolled forwards! It seems like, compared to our first, smaller race, there were a lot fewer serious runners in this one and a lot higher percentage of walkers, probably because the serious runners were mostly competing at longer distances.

The gps says we traveled .2 extra miles, which involved looping around the walkers and trying to get through. It also says we were forced to walk for almost the entire first two minutes of the race before reaching open ground enough that we were able to run. As we headed under the Convention Center, the 5k merged briefly with the marathon, and we were able to run a little by veering left into the marathoners and running alongside them, passing hundreds of 5k walkers. But all too soon the marathoners went their way and we went ours, back into yet more walkers. At that point it felt more like playing football than anything else, dodging sideways and trying to slip between people who had no intention of moving even if you said excuse me. My husband and I had to go single file and take whatever openings we could.

Mile 2 of this 5k is really groovy, you run through the St Jude Children's Hospital campus and the children come out and line the streets and cheer for you and slap hands. Then up a big hill over an overpass and down into the baseball stadium. We had driven this hill before and were a little afraid of running it, but race day energy made it seem like nothing.

Anyway, even being slowed down by having to go around so many people, I placed 37th out of 250 in my age group, which I think is not bad for someone who weighed 100 lbs more this time last year, and first ran 5k less than a month ago! Altogether a very successful day, and a learning experience as far as what corral to start in.

Congrats on the great 5K! I know two people who traveled to that race for the marathon this weekend. They said it was a great race for a great cause.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile great job! Lost 100 pounds and run a whole 5k!! W00T! Incredible! YOU are awesome!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Thanks!

Well, awesome should be reserved for the likes of @JessicaMcB and company. :) I am just some random guy trying to outrun his very real need for a pacemaker...

Yeah, this group is full of random average people. @JessicaMcB is just a girl next door who happens to go out for routine 100 mile runs. @PastorVincent is a random guy trying to outrun a pacemaker. @MNLittleFinn is a newbie runner trying to figure out how to run trails. @Stoshew71 is an armchair analyst who figures out the science of running in between running marathons. I'm a guy who hasn't figured out how to manage a marathon but accidentally qualified for Boston.

Just average people, nothing special. Anyone could do it.

Hahaha
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Thanks!

Yeah, this group is full of random average people. @JessicaMcB is just a girl next door who happens to go out for routine 100 mile runs. @PastorVincent is a random guy trying to outrun a pacemaker. @MNLittleFinn is a newbie runner trying to figure out how to run trails. @Stoshew71 is an armchair analyst who figures out the science of running in between running marathons. I'm a guy who hasn't figured out how to manage a marathon but accidentally qualified for Boston.

HA!

"accidentally qualified for Boston" -- Might just be the best line of the thread so far :lol:
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Another 3 in the pocket

exercise.png

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Thanks!

HA!

"accidentally qualified for Boston" -- Might just be the best line of the thread so far :lol:

Well, the first time it was an accident. I hadn't even intended to run that marathon.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Thanks!

HA!

Well, the first time it was an accident. I hadn't even intended to run that marathon.

How on earth did that happen?

@PastorVincent thank you! Great job on your PR at your race!

Overheard at my race yesterday, medic speaking to the Green Giant mascot: "Are you sure you're okay? Because I don't want to have to resuscitate you!" There we're a bunch of costumed mascots and other folk on the sidelines cheering. Apparently running alongside the race while in costume was a mistake.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    exercise.png
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

12/1 = 4 miles
    12/2 = 4 miles
    12/3 = 7 miles

December goal = Run a freakin’ marathon and not die

Upcoming Races:
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6 = River Road Run 1/2 marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Decembber goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 120?? I really don't know. Going for like 70% trail

12/1- 7.2
    12/2- 8.2
    12/3- 9.5

Total: 16.7

Today's notes: Speedwork on Friday, 2 hour run in the hills on saturday, and today's single track run made for a killer weekend. With back-to-back 2 hour timed run days, I wanted to mix it up a little. So, yesterday was the Ridge, up, over and back, and today was single track fun at the Laurentian Divide recreation area.

My wife was nice enough to take care of little man this morning, so I could leave late enough to have most all of my run in the sun. Very nice! The trails were OK, some snow cover, and some icy spots, but overall good conditions. I was definitely feeling the load of the previous two days and my distance/pace showed it. 9.58 miles in 2 hours got me an average pace of 12:32, not that bad, but not a record run for me. The run felt good, and I know I had a few more miles in me, probably because there was only about 750 feet of elevation but, oh well. Other than running full tilt into a tree branch with my forehead, it was a great run in the sun and put me in a good spot to enjoy tomorrow's rest day!

Have a Runderful day everyone!

2018 races
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I haven't run since my Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning, and today I did a 5k jingle bell run. Not my greatest time by a long way. I was jet-lagged, a bit out of condition and an emotional wreck, but I made it. The reason is that my mum passed away a couple of weeks ago and I've been back in the UK to spend time with my dad and sister. I flew home yesterday, and this race was for my mum. I'm going to miss her so very very much.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I haven't run since my Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning, and today I did a 5k jingle bell run. Not my greatest time by a long way. I was jet-lagged, a bit out of condition and an emotional wreck, but I made it. The reason is that my mum passed away a couple of weeks ago and I've been back in the UK to spend time with my dad and sister. I flew home yesterday, and this race was for my mum. I'm going to miss her so very very much.

I am so very sorry for your loss :(