December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Um... so far 1/2 have given me approval for the additional race for 2018.

Which one? We all know the wife approval is the most important one!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Um... so far 1/2 have given me approval for the additional race for 2018.

Which one? We all know the wife approval is the most important one!
    This is true.... unfortunately her's is not the approval I have right now. She said "we can talk about it when I get home" She's working some over time in the office today.

It's a flat course and my buddy is saying I could go sub-6 on it no problem......LOL, the issues I face
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    December 1 - 10 km
    December 2 - 16 km
    December 3 - 5km club run / strength training

31 km - goal 350 km
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Congrats on your PR. Amazing job!!
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes - The Edmonton ice story reminds me of the year I was in 7th grade in Lincoln, Nebraska. We had ice all winter long, and I walked a mile and a half to and from school. I started out falling down a lot, but by the end of the winter I was pretty sure-footed on ice; that trait has lasted till now, and no doubt helped me learn to run on ice at age 57 or so.

@eponine1984 - There is a certain cachet to being able to say you've run a race every year since it began. I have one race like that, Winter Warrior Half Marathon. I'll run the WW for the 4th time next January. I'm really impressed by the 100% club for Race with Grace 10K - 7 runners, 27 years and counting. (I'm at 7 years for RWG, every year since I became a runner.)

@PastorVincent - Way to execute a race plan! You did exactly what you needed to do, and the results blew away your expectations.

@rheddmobile - Yes, when the honor system is used for lining up there is widespread cheating. Or, widespread excessive optimism, if you want to be kind. Still, linking arms is uncalled for. There could be faster *walkers* trying to pass the clump. And yes, if there are multiple affiliated races at the same time and place, the serious runners will mostly go for the longer race. I recall I once ran a half marathon and noticed that my first 5K split would have been good for 3rd overall in the associated 5K, at age 59. That was a 5K split on a half marathon attempted PR, not a 5K run as a 5K race; I could have run a faster 5K if that's all the farther I planned to run. Of course, the serious runners were all in the half marathon just like I was. 59 year old guys don't finish 3rd in a 5K where three serious open (non-masters) runners show up.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Third in Age Group, 40th overall! :D

You know what @PastorVincent - I think you are a winner after all!!! ;)

Excellent job!!!

hehe thanks!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - Way to execute a race plan! You did exactly what you needed to do, and the results blew away your expectations.

Thanks! Yeah, I have to admit, I am always a bit surprised when a plan actually works :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    December 2017 Runs

02 Dec – 5 km parkrun Course Best
    03 Dec – 15 km

Goal: Run a 30 km run in December

Happy with today's 15 km. Strava says my moving time was 6:10 per km (9:57 per mile). Garmin says my Training Status is "productive".
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB I've been waiting nervously to hear the scary but amazing story about how you got away from the cougar that turned your 100 miler into 131 km.

Blessedly short story. I saw him on the river line, he did not see me. There are at least 2 out there that we know of, I just was not chancing it where generally you won't know they have been stalking you until they are on top of you and you are 100% *kitten*.

So that's my story of being a *kitten* lol

Scary, but impressed with your bravery to run at all in such a place!!
  • Luxyp
    Luxyp Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Dec 1: 5 miles
    Dec 2: 6 miles
    11 miles out of 100 miles
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent Congrats on your PR. Amazing job!!

Thanks!
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Congrats in the PR! Proving once again your awesomeness :)
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Dec. 2 - 5km
    MTD - 5km/60km
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent Congrats in the PR! Proving once again your awesomeness :)

Thanks!

Well, awesome should be reserved for the likes of @JessicaMcB and company. :) I am just some random guy trying to outrun his very real need for a pacemaker...
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Great job @PastorVincent !
    today I wore my new "embrace the suck" mfp shirt.....and it seemed fitting, because I just wasn't into it...but by 2.5 miles I was suddenly feeling pretty good, and finished 5 still feeling I had a few more in me.....glad that today the water on my favorite course had receded some, tho it was still calf high (I was able to find a way around it....)(um...it's the rainy season.....)

Thanks!

Hah! I guess you did not need to carry any water with you then! :lol: