Replies

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December goal: 95.71 miles

12/1 3.51

Total 3.51

@skippygirlsmom Yay for new jobs!
    What I most want for Christmas is for the last 2 years to go away....but I'll settle for having the interior of the house painted. Asked for the same thing last year.....got a stairwell and 2 walls!

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Phoenix Women's 10k 1/28/18
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in purchasing a RoadID here is a $10 off when you spend $20 code. Coupon Code: U97V8695KW it expires on the 5th.

Since I miss @elise4270 asking her end of the month questions, I thought I'd throw this one out. What's on your Christmas or Hanukkah wish list? Doesn't need to be running related.

Ok. so my super geekness is coming out with this question...I want a 1 day pass to LeakyCon (Harry Potter convention) that will be in Dallas this year.

@seanevan10 I just looked up LeakyCon... how did I not know about this!!!! #teamhufflepuff

Adult onset runner here as well. I started running last year at age 40. A coworker invited to me run with her running group after finishing C25K and running a 5k. Half of them are more than half way done with the run a marathon in every state thing. They convinced me to run a 10K, half, another half, marathon.... they are a bunch of crazy run pushers. ;)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I've been waiting nervously to hear the scary but amazing story about how you got away from the cougar that turned your 100 miler into 131 km.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @Orphia lol while there could be a reoccurring issue with the calf. The fact that it hasn't stopped my running is an indicator that the running predisposition is now constant and my lapses in training may be over.

Yay! :smiley:
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB I've been waiting nervously to hear the scary but amazing story about how you got away from the cougar that turned your 100 miler into 131 km.

Blessedly short story. I saw him on the river line, he did not see me. There are at least 2 out there that we know of, I just was not chancing it where generally you won't know they have been stalking you until they are on top of you and you are 100% *kitten*.

So that's my story of being a *kitten* lol
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    "Only 8" this morning. Toys for Tots Christmas party compromised my sleep.
    For Christmas this year I'm caught between a Garmin 235 or a remote starter for the car. I'll enjoy what Santa brings my boys most.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    "Only 8" this morning. Toys for Tots Christmas party compromised my sleep.
    For Christmas this year I'm caught between a Garmin 235 or a remote starter for the car. I'll enjoy what Santa brings my boys most.

Remote starters are life-changing. Get up, put the coffee on, start the truck from the living room. By the time coffee is ready and my stuff is packed for work the truck is warm and defrosted. I do not ever want to return to a world where they do not exist.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Got my Run Santa Run packet picked up... the first time I have gotten a REAL GLASS and the first time I have gotten a HAT. Both in the same race too!

2lkk9jweeyqs.jpg

Hrm....

b26j5w8l3v9b.png

Not exactly the warmest race start....but at least it is not sleeting. Sleeting would be the worst.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @seanevan10 RE: LeakyCon My youngest son has a the death eater symbol on tattooed on his forearm. I'm definitely going to keep the dates open!

ETA oh man, I see it's already sold out!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Got my Run Santa Run packet picked up... the first time I have gotten a REAL GLASS and the first time I have gotten a HAT. Both in the same race too!

2lkk9jweeyqs.jpg

Heh. I have 3 hats and 5 glasses from races (not counting plastic glasses), and I have yet to get both from the same race. I suppose I could count the 2015 and 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathons, where the race gave me a hat and the age group win gave me a hot beverage mug.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Just found this thread Joining in for 60kn in december (roughly 15 km per week) First 5 already in the pocket on a cold, misty but dry afternoon and in a for me quite a decent time too (6.4 min/km)

blk-exercise.png

I took up running about 1 year ago, my personal best distance is 10km (last thuisday) and my fastest km was in 6.13 So there is plenty of room for improvement still. Every time I look at running or refer to running as a hobby I surprise myself I am the one that always and I mean always came last in the school trials and could barely manage 500 m without collapsing. I know undiagnosed allergies had something to do with that, but still.
    Sometimes wonder what my wonderful supportive enthusiastic gym teacher from school would say if she could see me now. I doubt she is still alive as she was de for retirement just after I finished school, so she would be 95-ish now. But somehow I think she's be proud and say, I always knew you had it in you. Am I weird for thinking that? Maybe,but it takes me smile to think that B)

One of the great pleasures of being an adult runner is to think back on the days when I was always the worst kid at whatever athletic endeavor there was. I recall in school all the running was focused on sprinting, and I was always dead last. I think in elementary school we ran 600 yards once, and I was somewhere in the middle; but by the time I got to high school where there was a cross country team, the school system had beaten all desire to participate in team sports out of me.

Sometimes I wonder where all the guys who were better than me are now, and whether they can even run a 5K past the age of 60. I'm still not a sprinter; but I don't have to be a sprinter to have credibility in the running community. Beyond school, there aren't a whole lot of races shorter than 5K.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Decembber goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 120?? I really don't know. Going for like 70% trail

12/1- 7.2
    12/2- 8.2

Total: 7.2

Today's notes: Hit up the ridge with my Zumbro training buddy andy. We started on the snowshoe trails, but Andy mentioned something about there being too much ice for him to run it well, so we did a couple miles on the XC trails....BORING.... anyway, We finished out 4.4 miles back at our trucks, and he circled the parking lot to finish out his time, while I headed back to the snowshoe trails for some real running...LOL... SLOW running.... got in 8.2 miles total when it was all said and done, and got my average pace under 15mmin/mile for the run. I'll take 14:38 pace running on trails where you really couldn't run because of the ice, even if it was a relatively flat run today. Only 1500ft elevation....

..... Oh yeah, side note, he mentioned another race, about 3 weeks before Zumbro, they have 25k, 50k, 100k and 100 mile options, I'll be looking at the 50k, if coach and Wife approve.

2018 races
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I know the joys of the remote start as my previous car had it. As I imagine a winter without the remote this present seems more important. Finding the acceptable price is my challenge. I'm thinking $300 tops and for that I want to be able to start the car from about a mile away.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    11/1: 4
    11/2: 3.1 miles 5K Artic Dash. 22:05 minutes which is my PR.

Total: 7.1 miles

exercise.png
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    12/1 - 5.2km

5.2/75km

It was very icy on the route to my running route. That seems to be a thing in my city right now though.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3892231/edmonton-teens-turn-slippery-streets-into-skating-rink-while-mom-demands-city-sands/

Upcoming Races:
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K
    4/8/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K