Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Options

Replies

• StayFITTer
    StayFITTer Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar I am happy to report that my home no longer contains broken crayons! I asked a stay-at-home mom if she knew of anyone in her school co-op who would like to do a project making melted crayons, she said her daughter would! So now they are the proud owner of the silicone molds and crayon.

@Gisel2015 Welcome back and glad you got back home safe!

@SweetPeasMom55 Glad you found a technique that works for you! And the fact you gave up things you believed you couldn't is awesome!

@Sand_TIger I'm struggling with my electronics. I found place within our county that accepts them and I think I'm going to have to spend a day just doing that. I have a container filled with electronic related stuff PLUS I have a large boom box that is heavy, but is still useful/sounds great, but I rarely use it....and did I mention it's kinda big? I also have a wired headset that I use to use for my classes. Just want to dispose of everything properly.

@Celesteme You are a very strong and generous person. To give way sentimental items can be very hard, but I know it feels good to release when the time and situation is right. Super cool the new owner will teach his girlfriend. It feels like kismet!

@E43V15C Thank you for reviving our Decluttering feed! But sorry about your challenges with selling items online. I hope you find healthy alternatives and ways to overcome those internal and external things that activate you.

Decluttering Report
    Since my last post my decluttering came to a crawl it feels. But I've done/been doing the following
    • I'm still reading books on decluttering AND applying the info or clean while I listen
    • I am trying to stay on top of doing "Daily Stuff Daily" (i.e. do dishes/run dishwasher daily etc)
    • I've had conversation about stuff I have and people showing interest then make sure they get it!
    • I found a person who wants our nursing chair I PRAY it'll be gone by month's end.

I've given way
    • (2) 20lb plastic kettlebells, punching mitts
    • A never used 13' laminator with laminator sheets
    • A large quantity of crayon and silicon molds
    • 2 bags of kids clothes and 1 small bag of books with puzzle, (forgot to give bike maybe by 2/18)

I did have my family over for Super Bowl, I didn't make "goal" per se. A lot of "stash and dashing going on, but I felt like cleaning and preparing felt differently because thought things kind look chaotic, I know it's temporary and everything is grouped. I hope to have more progress to share within the next few weeks.

Also, the apt looks good and feels good when you first walk in and HOPEFULLY will show my husband that minimalism (visually simplicity and organizational abundance) IS POSSIBLE for us.

My Challenge:
    I'm struggling with the old train table, but it might just find itself right by the dumpster. My goal is to glue one piece of plywood together and see if I can get away with dropping it off at the local thrift store. They typically don't take broken furniture, but I have a feeling I might be able to get away with it and some kid is gonna have a cool train table.

Rooting for us all!

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    @StayFITTer
    Thank you for acknowledging all the efforts and success of the people posting in this forum, and congratulations on your own progress.
    One word of caution, if you are going to recycle electronics, make sure that the phones and laptops have a clean hard drive/sim-card and that no left-over-data can be used in a negative way since most of those items are sent oversea.
    I had my oldest son and his family visiting last week just two days after I returned from vacation so my plans of organization, de-cluttering, and/or extra cleaning have been put on hold. I had two extra rooms and bathrooms to clean up after they left (besides doing tons of washes), and I didn't need to add extra work to my schedule; but I hope that next week I will catch up.
    Have a nice and a productive week everyone. G.

• StayFITTer
    Options
    @Gisel2015 Thank you so much for the encouragement as well as sharing where you are in your journey!

You and I are on the same page as far as making plan to tackle the declutter, I was doing the same thing on Sunday night!

I feel as though the past 3 days has been productive for me in the cluttering department and I journaled about it--I'll share more hopefully by the end of the month.

Rooting for us all!
  • Gisel2015
    edited February 20
    Options
    Hi @ RubyRed427
    Good job about the cards, and it does make a lot of sense!
    I have 2 or 3 large boxes full of cards (birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, and more). I ditched many of them during the pandemic but my ever-sentimental sweetheart that I have for a husband got attached to many of them, especially if they were sent by his mother or other family member now deceased, and he doesn't want me to ditch the cards.
    I don't think that my children or their families would ever appreciate or relate to them either. But for the time being I am savings them; however, cards sent by friends get ditch quite often.
    If possible, I save the front page of the cards and I mail them to St. Jude's Ranch for Children. I get satisfaction knowing that the cards will have a second life and a good purpose.

• StayFITTer
    Options
    Didn't even know this was a thing....

https://stjudesranch.org/recycled-card-program/

Thanks for sharing.

@Gisel2015
    @RubyRed427
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Hi @ RubyRed427
    I have 2 or 3 large boxes full of cards (birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, and more). I ditched many of them during the pandemic but my ever-sentimental sweetheart that I have for a husband got attached to many of them, especially if they were sent by his mother or other family member now deceased, and he doesn't want me to ditch the cards.
    I don't think that my children or their families would ever appreciate or relate to them either. But for the time being I am savings them; however, cards sent by friends get ditch quite often.
    If possible, I save the front page of the cards and I mail them to St. Jude's Ranch for Children. I get satisfaction knowing that the cards will have a second life and a good purpose.

• Gisel2015
    Options
    Greetings everyone!
    I am taking a short break from organization, cleaning, and de-clutting plans and goals noted in my-to-do-list, in order to tackle other routine daily chores.
    I selected this week some books that I will not read again for donation. I am planning to stop at the library in the gated community where I live tomorrow. If the library doesn't take them (they are picky…), I will drop them at the donation center because I am too lazy to make an especial trip to the Public Library.
    I also reviewed a couple of baskets where I keep magazines and brochures, and I discarded the old ones in the recycle trash-bin. This is an ongoing project that I tackle every month and doesn't deserve special credit.
    Last week I was checking inside my closet and I decided not to remove any more items at this time. I can keep wearing most of the clothing, and there is no need to spend money or time in new outfits right now. Many items had not been worn for a while (remember the pandemic?), so it is time to put them back in circulation.
    Well, that's all for now folks. Wishing all of you a nice week ahead. G.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Hi @ RubyRed427

Right now the cards have a good purpose if they give him happy memories - at least they can be neatly boxed and put away. Good thing he's not collecting motorcycles or something! I can't imagine having enough cards saved that I'd need even one box, that's amazing.
  • ElfBodGoals
    ElfBodGoals Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The author of "Goodbye, things: The New Japanese Minimalism" also lost weight when he decluttered. His name is Fumio Sasaki. People who think Marie Kondo wanted them to get rid of literally everything they owned should read his book to see what that really looks like, lol.

I guess none of the trouble we get ourselves into is an isolated incident. Once I research the best ways to get rid of the stuff I've been clinging to, it's gooone. I hope it takes my weight with it!!
  • Gisel2015
    Options
    @Sand_TIger
    It is more than one box neatly stored in my closet. Inside the boxes are also cards that we sent to each other in different occasions thru the years. We will be celebrating our 58th wedding anniversary in April, and that can give you an idea of how many cards were saved. Even if some were already discarded due to our several moves.
    He is not collecting motorcycles (over my dead body), but he still has in the garage cabinet a box full of personal stuff that he packed when he retired back in 1996, clothing in his closet that has not be worn (and wouldn't fit anyway) in more than 10 years, plus electronics that we are no longer using. It is a lost battle with him. But he is a great husband and partner so I choose the battles that I can win very carefully.
    However, since I control the inside of the house all the rooms are in perfect order. More power to me!!
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    He is not collecting motorcycles (over my dead body), but he still has in the garage cabinet a box full of personal stuff that he packed when he retired back in 1996, clothing in his closet that has not be worn (and wouldn't fit anyway) in more than 10 years, plus electronics that we are no longer using. It is a lost battle with him. But he is a great husband and partner so I choose the battles that I can win very carefully.

I love that perspective and those priorities. :-) My own spouse has trouble letting go - we both came from histories of poverty and deprivation so I get it. But she's also pretty great!
  • Gisel2015
    Options
    @ElfBodGoals
    Thank you for the information about that book from F. Sasaki. I will check it out.
    I don't embrace everything that Marie Kondo practices and recommends, but I did learn few things from her that I already follow with good results. But I don't discard things that I haven't used in a year or two (especially if they still bring me happiness) :). Sometimes I don't wear a special clothing because the opportunity or the occasion didn't present itself. I have nice looking pants and tops, very classic that can be worn in special occasions, so I keep them until the occasion comes.
    It is not easy for me to find something that fits me well, since I am short. When I find something that I like, a good price, and classic, I hold on to it for life.
  • Gisel2015
    Options
    Another "cleaning" done without planning it.
    1) Looking for some information in my e-mail box, I found items that were old and not relevant. They went to the e-trash can.
    2) Looking for something else in my night-table, I also found papers, receipts, and other stuff that I didn't know where they came from. I don't remember why I kept them or for how long they have been in the drawers. All went to the trash as well. Nothing was recyclable.
    3) Looking for an envelope in the stationary closet in the office, I decided to go further and organize some of the shelves. I found too many unwanted empty envelopes that were used to send payments. All payments are done electronically now, so those envelopes went to the recycling bin.
    I kind of like this approach. No fuzz, no pressure, no overwhelming lists to follow, and no more clutter.
    G.

• SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    @Gisel2015 Hahaha, I read your post and entirely related to it. Yesterday I was looking for an item upstairs in my house, and seems there were LOTS of things in the way of getting to it. So, being the easily distracted person that I am, I started going through that stuff and wondering WHY I had all those things I'm not using, wearing, or what reason made me save them. Impromptu, unplanned cleaning and organizing!
  • Gisel2015
    Options
    @SbetaK
    We rock, and "impromptu" is king!
  • Gisel2015
    Options
    Another cabinet organized today. Some stuff went to the recycling bin, others directly to the garbage can. This is actually and on going project that I do every couple of years or as needed. But I didn't in 2023 so I started 2024 with another accomplishment. It feels good :)
    Hope that all of you have a nice week ahead.
  • Gisel2015
    Options
    I clean up/purged some folders in my PC that I don't need anymore and my computer lost a lot of weight :). Amazing the things that we (or at least "I") save thinking that we may needed them in the future. Delusional!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!