Honey Boo Boo; your thoughts?

Options

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I always thought to be one of the little pagent girls you had to be pretty and in a certain weight group.... so how this lil girl made it???
    Did you really just call a little girl ugly and fat?
    If the shoe fits....
    You are awful.
    Agreed

I don't watch the show, but those two comments were pretty darned low.
    Hold on a minute. Honey Boo Boo is fat. Her age is irrelevant. She lives in a household full of obese people. Their diet is terrible. They don't exercise. They give this little girl "Pageant Crack" which is a huge dose of sugar and caffeine to make her act a cheery in front of the judges. It is only logical that she is fat and stating that she is fat is nothing more than being minimally observant.

I would also go a step further and say that she seems to be behind the curve on her speech, grammar, and annunciation. She is constantly in performance mode. I don't think we ever get to see the real child. I truly feel sorry for her because I think her academic advancement has been stunted to the point where she no longer sets learning goals for herself. She sees being a dumb redneck as a thing to be proud of and because she is learning this at such a young age and being rewarded for it I think it will be hardwired in to her.

As for calling her ugly well she is a little girl so I don't ever think of them as being ugly or not ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder it is such an objective thing I won't really comment on that one.

QFT, When she is 18 and ready for college she won't be smart enough to get into University of Phoenix online. If her mother's IQ was the temperature outside you would freeze to death without proper gear and she is going to be just as dumb. I see a lot of fast food jobs and eating in her future.
    I think the fact that her education has been stifled so much will block her off from wonderful new worlds of discovery and enlightenment but I doubt she will end up working in fast food.

Her mother may not be the kind of person that I would want to hire as an academic adviser but she is smarter than she seems. The majority of the money that she and her family are making off of the show is being given to accountant which are investing it for them and they plan to live off of the interest after they make enough. That is an intelligent decision and because a lot of people are turning them in to celebrities they are going to be ok for a long time.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I love Honey Boo Boo and her family! They're so nice and some of my friends met them and told me how respectful and kind they were. I love that they know they are rednecks and embrace it! I really think they are great role models when it comes to accepting yourself and being who you are no matter what. I used to watch the show, but I don't have cable anymore, so I just get to read the gossip online.

She wasn't always so nice. Theft by taking and contempt of court...

http://starcasm.net/archives/170341

From the article you posted and apparently didn't read:

"yes I was arrested in.2008 over a contempt of court over a child case with one of girls and a theft charges that was DISMISSED the same day …second no sugarbear ain’t all the girls father he is only alanas …third yes CPS was in my life in march over the go go juice and a concert/bar appearance it happened one time and only one time would NEVER do it again but i made that decision b4 CPS came we went to court and the judge seen im NOT a bad person and there was NO abuse it was the WORST 4 days of my life and it was dismissed…and finally I have NEVER made fun of kaitlyns extra thumb on the right hand we have embraced it"
  • Loislaine61
    Options
    I saw one show to see what it was all about. ICK, not wasting my time on it. :noway:
  • booncey
    booncey Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think it's hilarious but then again I watch tv to take my mind off my own problems and relax. I love their carefree attitudes and they have uninhibited fun. Do I agree with their menu choices, no. Why should I care? The little girl and her mother are just funny. I have also read the articles that she is investing well and thinking about her kids' futures. When their 15 minutes of fame is over, nobody will remember the crazy things they did and probably won't know who the heck they are, but the kids will have opportunities that they wouldn't have had if not for the show. I'd much rather watch that show and laugh than watch the Kardashians or Housewive...just because those shows aren't the least bit funny ;)
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I always thought to be one of the little pagent girls you had to be pretty and in a certain weight group.... so how this lil girl made it???

:noway:

Seriously, you should feel ashamed for what you just said. It's bad enough when adults body shame each other, but an adult doing it to a kid? :noway:

When people make their private lives public, shaming is fair. Their privacy wasn't invaded by papparazzi. Honey Boo Boo and her family are making good money by inviting all kinds of shaming, and they seem to enjoy the attention.

No, no it's not. Nobody has any right to make any commentary on anyone else's body in any capacity. Shaming is NEVER fair. Celebration of bodies is fair... you don't wanna celebrate? Then shut your mouth.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    A co-worker was takling about that and I caught it while flipping through channels. I could only take about 5 minutes of it. I was shocked when I saw it was on The Learning Channel. The 5 minutes literally made me dumber.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Did you really just call a little girl ugly and fat?
    If the shoe fits....
    You are awful.
    Agreed

I don't watch the show, but those two comments were pretty darned low.
    Hold on a minute. Honey Boo Boo is fat. Her age is irrelevant. She lives in a household full of obese people. Their diet is terrible. They don't exercise. They give this little girl "Pageant Crack" which is a huge dose of sugar and caffeine to make her act a cheery in front of the judges. It is only logical that she is fat and stating that she is fat is nothing more than being minimally observant.

I would also go a step further and say that she seems to be behind the curve on her speech, grammar, and annunciation. She is constantly in performance mode. I don't think we ever get to see the real child. I truly feel sorry for her because I think her academic advancement has been stunted to the point where she no longer sets learning goals for herself. She sees being a dumb redneck as a thing to be proud of and because she is learning this at such a young age and being rewarded for it I think it will be hardwired in to her.

As for calling her ugly well she is a little girl so I don't ever think of them as being ugly or not ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder it is such an objective thing I won't really comment on that one.

QFT, When she is 18 and ready for college she won't be smart enough to get into University of Phoenix online. If her mother's IQ was the temperature outside you would freeze to death without proper gear and she is going to be just as dumb. I see a lot of fast food jobs and eating in her future.
    I think the fact that her education has been stifled so much will block her off from wonderful new worlds of discovery and enlightenment but I doubt she will end up working in fast food.

Her mother may not be the kind of person that I would want to hire as an academic adviser but she is smarter than she seems. The majority of the money that she and her family are making off of the show is being given to accountant which are investing it for them and they plan to live off of the interest after they make enough. That is an intelligent decision and because a lot of people are turning them in to celebrities they are going to be ok for a long time.

Drugs can eat up your money pretty quickly. Ask a lot of the other child stars that hollywood milked for all they had and threw to the side when they were done.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I have seen it a few times, eh. The little girl is a typical kid, all kids have cute moments and are goofs who giggle at burps and farts.
    No real comment on the Mom, it was stated that a good portion of money she gets from the show, is being put into individual trust funds for the kids and not spent on a new house or expensive things. No parent is perfect, least she was smart enough to take the tv deal and create a sizeable windfall income for her family and their future.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Prespective...it's a hella drug
  • PlanetoftheAtheists
    Options
    I am not certain either.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Seriously? You're pathetic. The pot's calling the kettle fat.

What she said was bad... your comment calling her a fat pot isn't any better either.

You're a bum, really.

Someone needs to do some growing up. Yep, I can see why you love that show.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Seriously, you should feel ashamed for what you just said. It's bad enough when adults body shame each other, but an adult doing it to a kid?

When people make their private lives public, shaming is fair. Their privacy wasn't invaded by papparazzi. Honey Boo Boo and her family are making good money by inviting all kinds of shaming, and they seem to enjoy the attention.

No, no it's not. Nobody has any right to make any commentary on anyone else's body in any capacity. Shaming is NEVER fair. Celebration of bodies is fair... you don't wanna celebrate? Then shut your mouth.

Normally I would agree with you. I feel very sympathetic to the weight struggles and pregnancies of public figures, and I don't think they should be targets even if they are public figures (even if people have a right to express their negative opinions). I absolutely agree with you when it comes to people you see in their private lives. But when people go on reality TV on the basis of exhibiting behavior that isn't fit for public view, I draw a line. This family wouldn't be on television if they didn't get a negative reaction.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Seriously, you should feel ashamed for what you just said. It's bad enough when adults body shame each other, but an adult doing it to a kid?

Normally I would agree with you. I feel very sympathetic to the weight struggles and pregnancies of public figures, and I don't think they should be targets even if they are public figures (even if people have a right to express their negative opinions). I absolutely agree with you when it comes to people you see in their private lives. But when people go on reality TV on the basis of exhibiting behavior that isn't fit for public view, I draw a line. This family wouldn't be on television if they didn't get a negative reaction.

Maybe so, but that doesn't open them up for body shaming. Though clearly, a lot of people find them entertaining and DON'T watch them just to make themselves feel better - as evidenced by many responses on this thread.

I don't think anybody has any right to HAVE an opinion about someone's body - negative or positive. With the minimal exception of people who are specifically ASKING the question of if they look "good enough" by putting themself on a ratings site or modeling show, etc.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    At first I thought it was really funny. But when she made the sketti, I had to stop. The cooking parts of the show actually makes me queasy.:sick:
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    [delete
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

:noway:

Seriously, you should feel ashamed for what you just said. It's bad enough when adults body shame each other, but an adult doing it to a kid? :noway:

What is there to be ashamed about, the whole family is fat and a serious health risk to themselves and society - the taxpayer.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Maybe so, but that doesn't open them up for body shaming. Though clearly, a lot of people find them entertaining and DON'T watch them just to make themselves feel better - as evidenced by many responses on this thread.

I don't think anybody has any right to HAVE an opinion about someone's body - negative or positive. With the minimal exception of people who are specifically ASKING the question of if they look "good enough" by putting themself on a ratings site or modeling show, etc.

There wouldn't be a show if the child, and her family, were not overweight, although that isn't why I hate the show. Ultimately, as a culture, we need to get over the belief that being fat is so shameful that no one can be honest, or even have an opinion, about it, even when it's part of a critique of a television show.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I watched one episode and it made me feel sad.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    So, correct me if I'm wrong.
    They're getting paid a lot more money than most well educated, hard working, productive members of our society?
    Guess my parents got it wrong when they told me to study hard, be responsible and teach my children the same...
  • jenn8785
    jenn8785 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Hey anyone who owns a pig named "Glitzy" is A-OK in my book. BTW love the avatar you're probably up to a 90 now. I've been trying to level my damn night elf for months now I think I'm at an 87, LOL!

I hear ya there! Been trying to stay focused and get to 90 myself... Hubby hit 90 in like a month... I hate him! LMAO