WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• blodwed
    blodwed Posts: 3
    Options
    Just starting. Resolution for August is to get walking, up to 2 miles a day by the end of the month. I hit 60 next month!
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for her help with my pedometer. I am going to remember to use it starting tomorrow. I guess I will aim for 10000 steps and see. I like the idea of putting in my bra, God only knows my bra is big enough to hid a computer, much less a little pedometer....ha,ha. Now for logging results will have to come up with something for that. Enjoy your day/evening, wherever you may be......:flowerforyou:
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!! Had an absolutely fabulous day on the water today!! We went back up to the Adirondacks to kayak on my favorite lake. We had a large group (19) and I got to see some friends that I haven't seen in a long time. We saw loons, herons, and pitcher plants.Beautiful scenery, great companionship, and a good workout. Just doesn't get any better!!

Vicki- WOW!! Congrats on the 103 pounds gone!!

DeeDee- hope your leg and foot feel better quickly. It is so frustrating to have our bodies refuse to let us do what we know we need to in order to get healthier and stronger!! Last year I spent a few months on crutches due to a stress fracture in my foot and a torn tendon. It happened while working out at the gym! All I was doing was tying to get stronger!! It just doesn't seem fair.:grumble:

Meg- Great job in losing the weight! My scales have been stuck forever, but I have to admit I have gotten a little less focused than I need to be. I need to get serious!! I have spent the last two years getting healthier. It does feel great doesn't it!!

Kate- Love the picture! Glad you figured out what was making you feel that way!

Amanda- Glad you have your father in a good situation. Am so sorry you are going through so much pain and need more surgery. I hope it goes well for you and that this is the end of medical challenges for you!

I need to go back into work tomorrow to serve on the committee that is interviewing for a middle school math position. I wish I could work in my classroom to prepare for September, but they are not finished cleaning it yet. I did get to spend time with my co-worker on Monday. She has helped me tremendously in preparing for the new classes I will be teaching.

I am thinking of all of you and sending you all positive thoughts. Your posts have been instrumental in keeping me on track. Thank you.

Deb A in CNY
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Line dance performance went very well. We knew the dances and we looked great in red shirts, black pants, and red cowboy hats.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: It has been a beautiful day so when I called my friend I went outside to the big field in the back and walked while we talked. After dancing I walked the dogs and worked in the yard for two hours then had supper and walked the dogs again. I didn’t get my indoor chores done but the weather was too wonderful to resist.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: My wonderful Omron pedometer has software that allows me to keep track of my steps so I can look back and compare my walking today with all the walking I’ve done since January 2010 when I bought it.

:heart: Barbie from sunny and warm NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov
  • rjscott
    rjscott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A rather quiet day–I’m storing up the peaceful feelings for when classes begin again at the end of the month and life goes crazy. Stayed on track with eating and exercise–swam, walked, did some arms/shoulder strength work, and Pilates. I always think I should be able to eat just about anything after doing all that, but alas, I can’t.

JB–your garden sounds wonderful; I rely on farmer’s markets and friends that grow more than they can eat
    Michele–what do you do in an extreme pump class?
    Amanda–so sorry to hear you need more surgery; prayers for healing
    Heather–glad to hear both you and DH had a good night’s sleep!
    Cindy–I love God’s humor; sometimes He really does have to work to get our attention
    Katla–those blackberries sound so delicious (as well as the cupcakes!)
    Genealace–your lace patterns are beautiful
    CritterSue–interesting client visit
    Sonja–hope you’re feeling better
    Vicki–Congratulations on the 103 lb weight loss; you must be feeling so much better
    Grandmallie–great NSV
    Joyce–love the image of you dancing(!) in the car
    Deb–would love to join you on the water; sounds like a fabulous time

Rhonda in SE TN
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Just a short note to say hi to everyone. I've read the posts and am so proud of all the accomplishments of these great ladies.
    I had a fun day playing a match golf tournament. Although it was hot, we had a breeze and I only had to play 13 holes as I was up 6 with 5 holes to play. Yipee.
    Having some stomach issues as a result of the 17days of antibotics. Hope it will sort itself out soon.
    Have a great evening and I'll be back tomorrow.
    Sue in TX
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi,

It's so nice to read about all the wonderful accomplishments in this group. Really inspiring!

It's been a busy summer here. Company has come and gone a couple of times. My 89 year old dad was here with my sister and brother in law. He is doing pretty well, but obviously missing my mom who died in April.

Since they left, I started an on-line class to learn to teach a new phonics program. It's taking a lot of time, but it's very helpful.

This week is also VBS at church, and I have a class of 15 pre-schoolers all morning. They are lively but good listeners and fun to have around.

I'm not sure when I will have time to get ready for my school year. :smile: My classroom is decorated for VBS and all the "stuff" is covered up. Oh, well. It will get done, I'm sure.

Went to a wedding on Saturday. It was nice. However, I fell...not once, but twice that evening. (And I didn't even have a single drink!) There were steps going into the house where the reception was that I didn't see so I fell. No one saw me at least. Just a couple bruises from that. Then...going back to our car...parked in a lot below the house...we had to walk down a dirt path and down a dirt hill. I side-stepped down the hill and did fine until the last step. The loose dirt gave way and I fell again...over the curb and onto my knees and rolled. I don't think I've had skinned knees since I was a roller-skating 10 year old! Anyway...nothing broken or dislocated. Just a few bruises and a little feeling stupid. Next time I'll take my shoes off!!

Gotta get back to my Padre game.
    Eileen from cooler than usual for August San Diego
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Melanie - good question about the pedometer. I've found that if I put it on jeans, for some reason it doesn't measure the steps. Your right, I really don't like the looks of this thing bulging out from under my clothes where everyone can see it. At one point I did wear it on my underwear....lol

Joyce - you have a WONDERFUL attitude. Some people would let the MS get them down...but not you! You're also teaching your granddaughts compassion for those who are not as fortunate as they might be (I'm sure you've already taught this to your daughters)

Did an hour of spinning today. Tomorrow I'll do some yoga and then take the deep water class. After spinning, I went to WalMart. You know, while I was doing the spinning, there were times when I thought of how I looked in those pants and I worked extra hard. That's really motivating me, just the thought. Now to get rid of this. I know that so much of it is diet. You need cardio and weights but also a good diet. I'm certainly going to try.

katla - For some reason, I just don't use a scale, but those measuring cups! I do find that if I constantly measure things out, then when I go out I sort-of can guesstimate how large the portion is. However, if I go too long not measuring, I know that I'll fall down. How great about your daughter's dog. Yes, diabetes is very treatable. We use the 30 gauge needles as the numbers are larger on them. We also cut off the needle part (with wirecutters) and put the needles in a babyfood jar, then we can throw out the rest of the syringe. I remember one time when we had PJ who was diabetic, someone went thru our garbage. They must have been so disappointed to find that they couldn't use the needles.....lol

Amanda - it's not mean to be in a sense glad to be away from your dad. Actually, he might also be glad in a way that you aren't there. Don't do exercise too soon! Take care of yourself.

grandmalle - yea for the inches lost!

The guys are here right now putting in the carpet padding. I honestly don't know the whole sequence, but I told the one guy that I wanted to vacuum so he should just tell me when I can vacuum.

Vince went to the MD yesterday about his cough, and the MD prescribed hydrocodone as a cough suppresant. I didn't know that hydrocodone can also be a cough suppresant! The MD mentioned that many times people's perception is that cough suppresants have to be liquid, but that's not the case. However, right now Vince is feeling very tired, as a matter of fact, he's laying down.

Heather - I'm thinking that after I finish my yoga on Mondays, I'm going to do a plank and see if I can't get that time up even more. I know that right at 2 minutes (well, really about 10 seconds before) I was just about exhausted, so I would like to build that up. My biggest fear is that I won't have proper form. Then again, I'm ALWAYS concerned about form.

Sandy - you have a lovely face. I'm sure no one notices anything amiss

barbie - I have an Omron, too (or was that the one that fell into the toilet?). I always thought you had to have the pedometer clipped onto your pants so that it would register when you picked up your foot and took a step. At times I did find that regardless of which pedometer I used, sometimes it would register steps when I wasn't stepping (like pulling down my pants to go to the bathroom)

Lynn, Judy, Tina - welcome!

I made Rice Krispie treats for Vince. I think he needs to have something to eat when he takes his meds. Anyway, a while ago I thought I was going to be so smart and put chocolate chips in them. Well...duh....of course the chips would melt. Why I thought they wouldn't is beyond me. However, Vince liked them that way so I put a bag of chips in today.

critter sue - what a sight to behold!

jane - I never took my pedometer off when I was in the car. I guess because I was always afraid that I'd forget to put it right back on. As I recall, when I was just sitting in the car, it didn't register anything. But there have been times when it would record things when I was doing something like going to the bathroom. But then again, there were other times when I didn't have it on (like first thing in the morning, going to the bathroom) so I always figured it evened out.

suehn - I'm always looking for ways to get in more protein. What was recommended to you?

Heather - I bet you looked stunning in your skinny jeans and reward necklace. How I wish I could wear skinny jeans! Have fun at the grand opening

Rychina - welcome! You sound like you have a very good attitude. Come back often, I'm sure there's lots you can share with us.

Well, the guys who put down the carpet padding just left. They'll be here tomorrow at 11. So I made some Rice Krispie bars. When I get home from Mexican Train tonight, I'll cut them up for them.

I'm taking a couscous salad and some cherries with me to Mexican Train. I don't care if there are leftovers from the cherries, I'll eat them, that's for sure!

I got this recipe for an eggplant stew. Sounds really good, but my question is: do you need to peel the eggplant first? I would think so. The recipe just says "one eggplant partially peeled in strips and cut into 1-1/2" cubes". What exactly does this mean?

Vickie - joining you in the happy dance.

grandmalle - congrats on the wonderful NSV. I know that my eating habits have changed. Like tonight I went to Mexican Train. Previously, I would consider that as my dinner, and the food people would bring! Now I try to have something to eat at home and if there are veges or something fairly decent, I'll have that. Like tonight I had the cherries that I brought, some of the couscous I brought, and 3 SMALL pieces of chicken. I think the small pieces were supposed to be dipped in the sauce she brought, but I didn't use any sauce. I only had water to drink (I usually bring my own as I drink so much water that I'd constantly be getting up to get more). Even tho that's all that I had, my stomach feels full. Your boss sounds like something Vince would say "that's disgustingly healthy"

Cindi - welcome! Come back often

I used to like the Mexican Train when they ended around 9 or 9:30. But lately they've been playing until 10. By the time I get home, do what I have to do for the next day, I try to pop in here, it's just so late. As a matter of fact, I left around 9:45 tonight. I think if Vince wants to go next month, I'll ask him if we can leave by 9:30. By the time we get home, give Loki his med, etc. there just isn't much time at all.

Joyce - you are a hoot! Doing aerobics in your car!

blodwed - welcome

rhonda - the extremepump class is basically the body pump by Les Mills (you can search it on uTube). Basically, it's a full body workout using a barbell. The only reason it's called extremepump is because they're not paying to use Les Mills' body pump routines.

Sue in TX - you amaze me playing golf in this weather.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michelle I think one reason I have a positive attitude about my MS is that I can still walk, talk, feed myself, only use a mobility aid if we are going to a zoo, park etc, We all laugh at my messing up my speech. I don't wear a diaper. There are so many that have a debilitating kind of MS and I don't. So I thank God daily for what He has given me. In fact it saved my life. I found out I had it in 1997. My ldest was in college and youngest was a junior in high school. Of course those were some pretty tough years with her. But about the time of her high school graduation I had the relapse that took me off work. But we got her off to college OK and then I was faced with the empty nest. To most people it would be quite depressing. But at that time nursing was getting pretty rough, they were asking a lot of us and giving us little in return. You know when you are raising kids your main focus in your marriage is your children. My kids were gone, my job was gone, the only thing left was my husband and I. I had never been a house wife and so that's what I became Not a good one and still not a good one but it came at the right time. There were so many affirmations that God showed me that it was the right time to be right where I was at that particular time. I will never be able to say that my husband and I got back what we had in 1972 when we got married but we got a lot back that we had lost while our main emphasis was raising kids. I also found some hobbies, the senior group at church adopted me and took me on their short trips. They gladly dealt with carting along my wheel chair and some one pushing it. So it became a very positive experience for me. Plus with being on SSD and you don't have the daily pressures of a pressure cooker type job your body has a chance to get stronger. So I give God all the thanks and glory for taking me off work when he did. And even when I was working I was able to use the fact that I was working full tie with MS and my cardiac patients could see that their new found diagnosis didn't have to be the end of the world for them. I felt so sorry for one of the teenage boys in our church. he really felt a burden to have me go before the preacher and deacons and have hands laid on me to cure me of my MS. I didn't want to burst his bubble. I feel if God is going to cure you He will do it an His own and doesn't require have hands laid upon me. Plus I felt God was leading me to use my MS in His ministry. So that's my story of my MS and I'm sticking to it!!! Now you know. I started out with one lesion, still after 15 years I still have one lesion. It is a humdinger of a lesion and has caused 3 relapsed and one optic neuritis but I have always come out OK. I have two doctors that really care for me

Joyce
  • barbaradetz
    barbaradetz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My goal for August is to remember to take time for myself each day.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,325 Member
    Options
    Hallo everyone!

This morning I did a bit extra on the recumbent bike as I won't be doing strength training. I will do a plank later. I want to build those up like Michelle and get as far as Barbie eventually! Am I competitive?:noway: :noway: :laugh:

I used to exercise ONLY so I could eat :blushing: , but it's still a big motivation. I love my food.:laugh: (I'm sure none of you have guessed that). The fitness improvements came later and were a bit of a surprise to me.:tongue: Now I love my new body and am surprised and delighted every day!:love:

Meg - when I started yoga in my very geriatric group I was the worst of them by far. I could not do downward dog at all and my wrists could not take any weight. I could not even heave myself off the ground for a plank. I could do no squats because of my knees. Keep on keeping on! Congrats on the weight loss - you must remember how far you've come even if it feels slow. Just remember leading out that dancing the other day. I will follow your example at DS' s Grand Opening in September! I will be thinking of you!:flowerforyou:
    If anyone is interested you can google New Trumans Brewery and see what they are up to. Exciting project.

Vicki - 103 lbs! WOW! WOW! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! You must feel so much better. The fact that you can walk around the places you love and move more must feel fantastic.:flowerforyou: Enjoy the pedicure!

Sue - I can't imagine not being able to eat enough protein! Unless you are a vegan. I easily get in 4 oz a day, but I eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese etc. Do you eat fish? I also adore beans and lentils though DH is not so keen as they give him wind. They give me wind too, but I don't care!:laugh: I can eat any amount of chick peas or dhal curry.
    Today we are having sea bass with skinnytaste's eggplant sticks which are gorgeous. I will do a bit of spicy tomato sauce to have with it as a moistener.
    Michelle - it means peel the eggplant downways in stripes with a peeler. I am not sure that it is absolutely necessary, but presumably it is for the look or to avoid having a lot of tough skin in the stew , i. e. half the amount of skin. Then cube the flesh in quite large cubes, 11/2 inches. Good luck.

Eileen - at least you know you haven't got osteoporosis! My mum fell over a lot when she got older, but nothing broke! Once she was thrown from one end of a bus to the other when the driver braked and was heavily bruised, but nothing broke.. I hope I have inherited her strong bones and I know I have her capacity for bruising, although I haven't noticed it so much recently.

Deb A - I so envy you the kayaking.:love: I have done a very little on the rivers in France years ago and loved it. I seem to have quite good upper body strength as the only sport I was any good at at school was shot putting and discus.:laugh: I was also told I throw like a boy, which I took ad a compliment.:tongue: Your beautiful Arondiracks sound fabulous and are one of the places on my bucket list. I'm not sure I could cope with 19 people though. Glad you had a lovely time.

Quiet day today, picking the caterpillars off the brassicas. I need to get in a supply of my 'emergency mints' that I keep in my handbag for times when I have a hypo. Lifesavers! But I have almost run out. I don't have it as badly or as often as I used to, but can get to the point where I can't talk. I also carry nuts for a more sensible, sustaining snack, but sometimes, when I am all atremble, I need a quick sugar hit. But it is much better these days as I rarely let myself get that hungry. It's usually when I'm travelling or just extra, extra busy. DH never has any such thing and can go hours without food or water, like a camel, so I have to make sure I insist on regular fuel stops when we are out. He is used to it now, but when we were first together it was awkward because he had no idea what I was experiencing and I felt too embarrassed to insist. Now I just say - "I have to eat - NOW!" :laugh: :tongue:

Love to all. Keep on truckin!

Heather from Hampshire UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,783 Member
    Options
    Deb A- that is on my bucket list..to kayak,I am a crazy birder and would love to go out and see the birds and get the exercise in a kayak.. maybe someday get good enough to even have my own kayak..
    have to hop in the shower and get ready for work, was at the gym at 4 am:bigsmile:
    and packed healthy stuff for work... see ya'll tonight:heart::drinker:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Morning all:

Logged all my calories yesterday and was under goal but my fats were way too high. I'm going to do better today.

I found and old Salton Yogurt Maker (probably circa 1970s and yes it is gold!) in the Basement and decided to try my hand at making my own yogurt. It is really good but thinner than Greek or the regular Dannon.

Eric is going to call the Realtor and make the offer on the Farm house today. I hope it will be at least considered and that they might make a counter offer. We'll see. I just hope our son & wife know and appreciate what kind of sacrifice we are making for them. Our son is the one who helped me most with his grandmother the last few years of her life. He basically put his life on hold and partnered with me as we were her caregivers

Yea Meg on your loss!

Michelle: I never peel eggplant for any of the recipes that I have made. Just think of all the fiber you will be missing.
    Please post the recipe if the stew turns out good.

Well I hope everyone has a good day. A few errands for me but not too much going on otherwise. I might work in the garden if the weather cooperates.

C indy
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies,

Have not been active for a while, still working on my last project like a madwoman.....but I miss the daily interaction here!

Have a wonderful week.

BJ, SWOntario
  • LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Spent the last couple months slacking. More motorcycle time, less gym time. My excuse is that Summer is so short here but the truth is; I have just been lazy.

So, back in the saddle. More fruit and greens, less bar food. The size 12's are gone and they are NOT coming back.

Happy Progress, y'all !
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!!
    Cindy,good luck on the farm house.
    Didn`t get much sleep,Violet overlate night and early am.A nap will be in the future later.
    have a good one.
    HUGS
    jane
  • welshgirl53
    welshgirl53 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello all again - thanks for the welcome!

Not a bad start, have managed my morning 1/2 hour run with the dog before work each day since last Thursday, and a long walk (5 miles on Saturday and a shorter one on Sunday)

Did an hour of kettlercise on Saturday, and my legs got progressively stiffer on Sunday and Monday - lots of squatting movement in kettlebell exercises!

Have recovered so will do again tonight I hope.

Have not made it to the gym yet, but I am happy with what I have done.

Went out for a meal Sat night but hadn't eaten all day - had crab salad and pizza without cheese on it, no pud.
    Wine was had on Saturday and Sunday but none since then, and we restrained ourselves to one bottle between us for a change. (each night!)

Helps that OH also needs to lose weight and is trying more than he has been in the past.

Broke a tooth/filling Saturday night, so dentist on Monday, and then somebody went into the back of my car as I was going back to work, so by the time that was sorted it was too late for work and I ended up going home. It would normally have been an excuse to have a drink, but I didn't even think about it, although I did have a glass of whisky before bed as mouth was sore - what an excuse.

Hope I can keep this going.

Nice to read everyone's little tales - sorry not to reply like some of you do - I just try to pop on every now and then, otherwise I get hooked on it and nothing gets done.

Bye for now

Jen
    ManchesterUK
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I heard back from my husband that our offer was not accepted :grumble: The owner isn't willing to budge on her base price. I'll just be interested to see what it finally goes for as she is asking for more than twice the tax value of the property.

We will just have to start looking for something else. And of course be happy because I asked the Lord to shut the door tightly if this isn't the place we are supposed to have. There must be some unknown about it for such an answer.

Cindy
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone: Hope you are all having a great day.

grandmallie - My fitbit did the same thing, quit syncing. I e-mailed the company and ended up having to uninstall it and then reinstall. That worked.

Mel - I clip my fitbit to my bra. You can record steps in the notes section of exercise on this site. also if you sign up for it when you sync and set up your dashboard Fitbit will send you a weekly report of how you are doing.

Kate - Kristin, my dietician suggested adding protein powder to my yogurt in the morning so I tried that this morning in addition to changing to Siggi's Icelandic yogurt and I ended up with 34 grams of protein. The Kind Healthy Grains Granola also has some protein in it. She also suggested buying deli meat and just adding two ounces to a meal if I needed more protein. So I did that yesterday for lunch. I had turkey, cottage chesse, cherry tomatoes and Triscuits and came up with 31 grams of protein. She also suggested adding a string cheese to a meal to add protein. this is going to be a learning experience but so far it seems easier than I thought it might be.

Everyone take care. Healing angels to all having problems and congratulations to all with successes. Sue in SD