WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• etak17
    etak17 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi All!

Jotted down a few notes as I read the last couple of days - I apologize as I'm sure I've missed many, but I am with you in spirit if not in word.

Re my "outburst" the other day, the doctor wasn't convinced it was the medication - but I know perfectly well I wasn't my normal crazy! :grumble: Katla, you're right, I really should have taken the picture with - maybe then he would have got it. I told him I'd go back to the lower dose and if I'm okay, I'll slowly increase it. My experience with psych meds has been that the side effects (and discontinuation effects) are not always discussed thoroughly or are minimized. I've never really been on any other prescription meds (except for pain killers on a couple of occasions) so I don't know if this is true for other meds.

Meg . . . the skirt NSV is :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: - how about a picture?

Heather . . . EDIBLE GRASS HOPPERS WITH CHILLI - I love it. In HS, my friend and I cooked up a cricket and rice dish for a project for an anthropology class. All I remember is that they were a bit crucnchy. On another note - Wow - I'll have to check out Sweaty Betty :blushing: !

yanniejannie . . . so sorry about your friend. I'm sure your love and support is very much appreciated.

Sue in SD . . . protein powder to your yogurt ... I know people put it in smoothies, but can you just mix it into your yogurt? How's it taste? I don't eat much string cheese, but I do eat cheese regularly. I really should eat more eggs. Maybe I'll hard boil some tonight.

Katla . . . my son's birthday is Sept. 11. He turned 14 that year. We had just moved from Manhattan to Brooklyn, about 5 miles south of the towers, and smoke and debris blew through our neighborhood. Because the wind was blowing south, we were more affected than if we had still been in Manhattan, north of the site.

Kuchen sounds delish! :love: Both my mother and my husband's mother made a simple coffee cake with a streusel layer/topping, but neither put fruit in it.
    Uncle Buck is a fun movie - doesn't hurt that I like John Candy and I'm from Chicago.

From Deb A from CNY: Beautiful pics. I :heart: the Adirondacks.

Lucy in DE . . . Have a wonderful vacation!!! We were camping on Cape Hatteras once when I was a kid and there were hurricane warnings - we and all the other campers had to spend a few hours in the concrete bathhouse but luckily it was only a bad storm and our tent stayed staked to the ground.

Pat/phoo . . . families! Hope things work out.

Michele . . . I really feel your pain. Please don't give up. From all you've said about Brian, it's hard to believe you've truly lost him. You ARE a good person and although he's not communicating, I bet he loves and misses you too.

Grandmallie . . . don't you just hate not getting enough sleep? I go through periods of bad insomnia. :yawn:

There was an article this week in the NY Times: "How Sleep Loss Adds to Weight Gain." Spoiler - it's not good news. This is the link: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/06/how-sleep-loss-adds-to-weight-gain/?emc=edit_tnt_20130806&tntemail0=y

DeeDee . . . hope you were able to find out what's up with your leg and foot!

Sandy . . . I only get 30 minutes too. :ohwell: Sometimes I walk briskly to a pier 10 minutes away from work. Then I walk out to the end of the pier - that's almost 5 minutes (it's a long pier), stop and enjoy the view for a minute or 2, then walk back - that's another 10 minutes. That leaves me 10 minutes to get back to work. It's probably about 2 miles in all. People on the pier that I pass in both directions sometimes comment on what a hurry I seem to be in - I always shrug and say "they only give me 30 minutes for lunch!"

Suzy . . . I also find late afternoon/evening the worst time for mindless eating, and have yet to find a good way to curb it when it happens. (Unfortunately, I do eat in bed.)

Jodios . . . I am so new to strength training that I don't even know what exercises to start with. That, and this month I'm very busy and I'll be away all of next month. But it makes good sense to rotate upper body - lower body - abs/core. I'll have to remember that.

Barbie . . . where did you go to college? My brother went to Carleton.

Sonja . . . "Always do right. This will surprise some people and astonish the rest." One of my favorite Mark Twain quotes :smile: thanks for reminding me of it!

Janie . . . you must be exhausted with all that driving. Sounds like you're very supportive of your DH. Wonderful that he noticed your loss - mine is also one of the oblivious types.

Kathie in Seattle . . . "the real goal is to be able to move and play with wild abandon" - fantastic goal! - mind if I steal it?

Joyce . . . I think you're doing so well - I can barely get up and out in the morning!

Jane . . . 90 minutes! That's terrific!

xxxooo,
    Kate in Brooklyn :flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Got 10,000 steps in for today!!1st time since I started back counting.
    Good night to you wonderful women!!
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your support, everyone. I really appreciate having you on my side. I have decided that the issues with my family are an indication of my own issues, as well as the reality of their issues. I have made the decision that going to Al anon may lend me some insight and support for the way I process issues. I know that I am an enabler of the highest order, and that I try to fix everything, and when I can't, then the destructive behaviors (for me excessive binging and eating of foods I know will make me sick) begin. I need to work on myself. Being part of this group is one way in which I do that. Having to admit in writing what I am eating and answer to questions about why I am eating helps me stay on track with that part of my healthy path in life. Last night ended with a full-on all-out binge. Not a good thing.
    Michele, I do appreciate your honesty about your binge. It helps to know that I am not the only emotional eater in this crowd. I am just so sorry that you are suffering and struggling with family issues, too.

For tonight, ladies, I am doing OK with my eating, but it is about midnight when I usually get into trouble. I will check back in here to read your positive posts about successes and great NSV's.

Pat (Phoo)
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Bump...for another time. Have 5 miles and over 11,000 steps on the fitbit today. Went to the Y at lunch and walked around the indoor track for 20 minutes. After work I went back and did the machines I skipped yesterday, plus another 2.5 miles on the treadmill.

Have a great night!
    Gail, metro ATL
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hey girlfriends! Hope you have had a great day. I did the grocery shopping and visited dad again and that’s about it for today. I may go later for an evening walk. Cloudy and overcast today but no real rain in the forecast. We noticed our drip system on the sprinklers is running non-stop, so we had to turn the water off to the system and wait for tomorrow for repairs to get done.

Last week’s mammogram came back just fine.

Terri: stay safe with the fires around you and take care breathing that air

Michele: I am so jealous that your flood is getting done faster than my flood! They aren’t starting til the 21st. I sure wish our builder had done a better job with the bid; the insurance company actually closed the claim because he never did get it in.

Yanniejannie: so sorry for your loss You are a good friend to be helping out.

Barbie :I guess I never realized there were actual lavender farms!

Rhonda: your office sounds like mine! I think I heard you were getting some flooding down there?

Kathie: welcome aboard. There are several people here from the Pacific Northwest!

Genealace: hope you didn’t get any storm damage

Sandy: nice to meet you. Come back often

Grandmallie: I hope you get a good night’s rest tonight. I can’t tolerate screaming kids either, especially in nice, expensive restaurants. I always want to ask where the babysitters are! That’s part of the reason my kids only get to charge $4 an hour to babysit. The babysitter should not be so expensive you can’t go out!

Heather: your menu sounds great! I like extra hot stuff on my food too. This week I am going to try a grilled cauliflower “steak”. You cut them through the stem so you have one whole thin slice. I must not be PC either because you cracked me up! Now I’ll really check it out! Great job on the jeans!

DeeDee: you need to take care of yourself!!!

Kathy: we miss you too! Hope things slow down for you!

Laura; I do love company, but it is also nice to get back to a normal routine.

Jodios: thanks for the thread; I will check it out!

Katla: I love John Candy and laughter is so therapeutic! I’m glad you enjoyed yourself!

Joyce: I think a lot of people have that fear of failing. You are doing so well on your goals…you’ll get there!

Sue: welcome aboard!!!

Sonja: thanks for sharing the quotation!

SueSD: I’m glad you are finally getting to that PT! I’m sure you have been anxious about getting there too!

Janie: great nsv!

Janemartin: great job with your steps! Wow that is a huge nsv for you!

Kate: you are right about the meds. I take Zoloft for my menopausal insanity and they said it might cause a little drowsiness. So I took one and was literally stoned for 2 whole days. At one point I was sitting on the couch and my DH poked my shoulder with one finger and I fell over! I cut them in half for a long time before I went back to a whole one.

Pat: Good for you to recognize things and for taking the step you have. Going to Al-Anon should be immensely helpful! I am an emotional eater too, but thank goodness I have not had any episodes where I felt that way. My life has been pretty stable and calm lately, but I know I could revert at any time.

Well I’m watching Shark Week while I type and it’s kinda creeping me out so I think I’ll head out for a little walk! Take care everyone Meg from gloomy (but no rain) Omaha
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Pat I totally agree about this place. It has given me so much confidence in myself. No one judges me, just wraps their arms around me and supports me. It has given me so much more confidence in myself. Basically I have no friends, just cyber. I have learned that I can have a conversation with some one! I am valued for who I am. You know in your heart what to do. Come in here often and just talk about it, some times you just need to talk it out and you will find you have answered your own questions! I never knew some where like this existed. It has helped me grow emotionally, physically, learn accountablility.

Joyce
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    When I read all the posts of the ladies who are in the cool and cloudy places, I wish I was there with you. 105 today but I didn't get outside very much. We went to DS's ranch to accept some furniture that was being delivered. Everything was fine until one company forgot one table!!This place is 65 miles from my house so we're can't just run over there. Guess they'll work it out. While we were there we spent 5 hours unpacking and organizing the kitchen. It looks really nice.
    I'm excited about the strength training and hope I can do it right.
    Michelle - you are a special person who cares for so many people. You always make an effort to share your cooking talents with everyone you encounter. God is in charge and will take care of this. Have you ever heard the saying, the older the parent gets the smarter they get. I think your son will realize what a precious gift you are.
    Meg - I agree with the others, your skirt story was so funny! I know your can do this while you're working because you've already done it!
    Sorry not many shout-outs tonight but it's late. I'll do better tomorrow. Love these Vit F girls.
    Sue in TX
  • Gardengail
    Options
    Meg - just came back and saw your post about babysitters. I can remember feeling VERY daring charging families $1/hour after 10pm!! (I had one steady client that abused their return time, which was problematic on school nights.) And for the normal $0.50 per hour, I bathed the children, put them to bed, cooked their supper and cleaned up the kitchen and house. I was very proud of myself the first year I saved up the summer sitting money and was able to buy all my own school clothes, etc. Well... material and patterns, really, as we made our own clothes, but proud nonetheless.

I clearly remember the year DH and I made just barely over $10,000 in income for the year -- we felt rich beyond measure!

Had swai, steamed broccoli and half of a baked sweet potato for dinner. While I was cooking I ate some frozen red grapes. What a great summer treat.

Gail, metro ATL
  • eileenwalnum
    eileenwalnum Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I look forward to interacting with this group. Please respond so I know you are there. I am getting depressed because I hurt my knee and can't walk never mind exersize. :sad:
  • rjscott
    rjscott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it’s late; I’ve read all the posts since my last entry and am amazed again at the strength and kindness of all of you. DS#1 is coming down from Knoxville for the weekend, so I’m trying to figure out what to fix for weekend meals. In the winter we almost always have soup for supper on Friday night, but I haven’t quite figured out what to do in the summer (I don’t care for cold soups and DS#2 isn’t crazy about most salads).The carpets look much better in the office area and the temperature was a little warmer today. We had academic orientation for the incoming chemistry majors that are on campus taking a summer class before the fall semester begins. Just another sign that summer is nearly over. Wishing all of you a brighter weekend (although the weather forecast here isn’t particularly sunny). We haven’t had any flooding close by, but parts of Tennessee and north Georgia have gotten more rain and are dealing with flooding.

Rhonda in SE TN
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends,
    Just a quick note today. I made it to the community center and made an appointment to meet with a personal trainer about a strength training routine. I’m really excited for the new challenge and change of exercise venue.:happy:

Pat Phoo: Al-Anon saved my life. I am not overstating that. I was at a point in my relationship with family and food that I was either going to hurt one of them or myself. :brokenheart: Please follow the inner voice that is telling you to seek healthy alternatives.

Today’s affirmation: I feel strong and I am filled with vitality, as I eat only the food my body needs. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Rori in the Stormy Colorado Foothills

August Goals:
    Nourish my mind and faith with daily positive affirmations.
    80 oz of water per day, except on flight days
    Embrace the strength training challenge and seek professional help with it at my community center
    Get a double digit number on my weight loss ticker.
    1529435halqzzk1hb.gif
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!
    I've been hoping to run into a place for the over 50 crowd, especially the female variety :)> I'm 57 and choosing to make big life changes. Scary, but positive. Getting back into life instead of retreating. Children are leaving after 33 years in the nest, so my nurturing years are finally coming to an end. Hoping to set my goals and read about yours. Grateful for all support and motivation and inspiration.

Yvette from Austin TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    yanniejannie - how nice of you to spend time with your friend! She needs someone right now.

Kathie - welcome! I especially like your third goal (being grateful)

Sandy - welcome! We're all looking forward to getting to know you better.

grandmalle - so sorry you aren't feeling well What a nice thing you did for that patient

Pat - how terrible for your sister! I bet she's embarassed, too. It wouldn't surprise me if she felt like a failure to you all, like she's let you down. Is there a reason why this happened? Was she spending money on non-essential things and just letting the house go to pot, or is she financially strapped? I'm an emotional eater, too, and in some ways I wish I had a "quirky" stomach as that might prevent me from overeating the wrong foods. ((((HUGS)))))

DeeDee - good luck at the doctors

Heather - congrats on needing new jeans!

Woke up, went to the Y and took my laptop, used their weights, etc. Then went to Food Lion just to see if they carried some things, then to Aldi, then home. Vince and I went out, picked up prescriptions at CVS, paid for the carpet padding, then went to WalMart, then home. Went into the pool for an hour. The waterfall was on the whole time so I got an hour of relaxation in.

katla - I think I'm going to look into a grief counselor. A friend of mine is going to one, her daughter lives one town over and didn't even come to her 50th anniversary party! They've been estranged for quite some time now and talking to her deacon seems to have helped her. Vince really doesn't say much about this whole thing. She said the deacon gave her a prayer which she's going to give to me. Actually, yesterday and today (so far) I've been pretty good re: stress eating, etc. I WILL NOT let this run my life. Good for you not needing those larger sized clothes! God made soap and water for a reason....that's what I say, so wash away!

Tomorrow I'm going to use this stepping machine at the Y, at least that's the plan.

Hi Sue! Oh my, herniated disks, hope you're not in a lot of pain. Do you need special bedding?

Sue in SD - I many times take a piece of turkey wrapped around a cheese stick as a snack after my exercise (high in protein). Have fun at the fair. You can probably find an apple on a stick and just take the candy coating off

Janie - when I'm going to be in the car, I take a long a bag of snacks to eat. This way, I not only save time and money not having to stop to eat, but at least I can keep track of my calories. Of course, when Jessica comes down here, many times she'll stop, get something to eat, and then eat it while she's driving. How wonderful that your dh noticed your weight loss. Sure gives you an added boost to continue, doesn't it?

ecanales - here's another person who loves this thread

Big congrats to everyone who had so many steps in

meg - glad your mammo came back fine. I'm thinking that I'm probably due for mine soom. I believe I get a reminder notice, tho. Or I can always look back in last year's calendar to see when it was and make an appt. Think I'll do that tomorrow. We went to pay for the padding and the guy mentioned that he'd taken the guys off another job and put them on ours. My suspicion is because he saw what a large job it was. When he first came to the house to do an estimate, he didn't even bring in his tapemeasure! He went back out and got it. That's horrible that the insurance co. closed the claim because of your builder

I want to thank everyone so much for all your support of my situation with Bryan. It is what it is, and I'm just going to have to live with it. Luckily, my knees are already sore from praying for Denise that I don't see how they can get any sorer...lol

Well, time for Loki's med and then off to bed. Lance really doesn't like getting his insulin, but he seems to tolerate it since he gets brushed afterwards....lol

Michele in NC
  • Gardengail
    Options
    Michele - sending virtual knee pads your way now.....

Gail, metro ATL
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Well It has been an busy day and I am caught up with the posts. I love this group and the support we give each other makes the difference for me.
    Robin- HUGS- my dad's birthday was July 19th. He would of been 80. He has been gone 10 years this last June and I still find myself wanting to call him and share my day.
    Eileen- Glad you were not seriously hurt. I have the same problem and seems when I fall down there is always someone there to watch.
    Michele- what is mexican train?? I am sorry you are having such a hard time with thoughts of Brian. I keep you in my prayers everyday.
    Cindy- sorry to hear they did not take the offer on the farm. You have a very good attuide and I beleive God will arange the right place for your son and family. I know God had a big hand in our getting our house 10 years ago. I still can not believe sometimes we bought a house but feel very Blessed as it meets all our needs. Your son sounds like a very caring young man. When my MIL was living with us while taking her cancer treatments my son and his wife would take her to her treatments when DH and I had to work. They helped alot the time she was with us. We must of done something right to have such speical boys,
    Meg- Great loss, I love your attuide. I enjoied the skirt story. I keep saying I need to go thru and get rid of the things that are to big, but I am afraid if I do then I will need them again.
    Kate- Hope it gets better. Last Nov after I had my surgery and couldn't eat like I used to(lots of carbs) I found myself mad at everyone and DH was not sure what kind of mood I would be in each day. The doctor put me on wellbutrin and it seemed to help. I keep thinking I should stop taking it but not sure I could deal with the moods again.
    Deb- sounds like a good day on the water, thanks for the pictures. I want to go tanking and trying to talk my boys into going.
    Barbie- your line dancing sounds like fun and your outfits beautiful. I love watching line dancing and would like to learn. Been checking around town to see if I can find a class.
    Joyce- You are a Blessing, your take on life and God. I can just picture the car exercise and think I will have to give it a try. DH does most the driving so I can keep him entertained. Made me remember years ago when we would be on a road trip and good sone would come on we would pull over and get out and dance. Have to sugguest it next time we are on the road. Glad your MIL is enjoing the flowers.
    Teri- sorry to hear about all the smoke, are the fires close to your house? Please be careful.
    Janie- Congrates on the NSV with DH. Sometimes they are the last to notice. I now my DH will hear someone else say something and then he will. It's like he doesn't notice till someone else does.
    Welcome Sandy- I also have 97 pounds still to lose. I have lost 103 and this group of ladies is the best support. One day at a time and I keep reminding myself I did not get this way overnite.
    Pat- Prayers to you and your sister. The ones we love have the power to hurt us the most and when they will not let us help or even talk to us hurts the most.
    Well hope I have not left anyone out. I think I will settle down and read awhile as DH is working the closing shift tonight and will not be home until after 10:30. I am off tomorrow so can sleep till 6. We both went to the doctor this moring. I had to see the Skin doctor and she froze acouple places on my arm and then on my top lip. Didn't even know there was an issue on my lip. DH has been having some chest pressure and been waking him up in the night. So they did some tests and things came back ok. so next Friday he goes to see the heart doctor just to be sure. When the clinic called to set up the appointment with the heart doctor this afternoon they wanted to know if he still lived in Lincoln. He tells them he has never lived in Lincoln and never seen anyone at this clinic. They had his birthday and social number. I have been to the office just acouple months ago so woundered what is going on. Then I thought about it and his ex lives in Lincoln and she has a habit of trying to get us billed for things. they have been divorced over 30 years and we have been married almost 29. It really upset me. So I called them back and told them we have never lived in Lincoln and if his ex is using his info to take it off. They said they could not tell me if she did as for HIPPA and then they said his name was not on hers anywhere now. So next week when he goes in I want to make sure they have the right info. This is the same clinic when I went to my regular doctor this week asked me if I had a hyster in 2008 as their records said I did. If I did they forgot to tell me. Just pisses me off that they can be so careless with personal info and records. This evening acouple friends from work and I had a girls night out and went to Olive Garden for supper. I did really well and stayed under. I enjoied the company and the laughts.
    Will have a good night ladies and remember God is in control and loves us all.
    Blessed
    Vicki GI NE
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Late checking in, but I am checking in!

Doctor's visit went well this afternoon. My bone density in my spine has gone up 6% and in my hips 1.8% so he is very pleased and doesn't want to see me for 2 years. Gave me another prescription for my injections and said I should only call if I have any reaction (probably not likely after 2 years unless there is something cumulative) or if I have any breaks. I've been careful and have not had any since October 2009 when I broke my wrist getting the laundry in.

My DBF and GF went to a brass band concert this evening. It was mostly very new music from young composers and as someone who used to live in the north of England where brass bands abound, I was a bit disappointed. But, they play 3 encores - Amazing Grace, Liberty Bell and another more traditional piece that I can't think of at the moment. So the end of the concert was excellent!

The storm went on for ages last night and at one point the lightning was almost continuous. The rain was torrential, but I was able to see that one of the repairs that has just been done on my eaves trough was successful and there was no rain leaking behind it and into the wall.

Time for bed
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that my first week back has netted me a lost of 1.6 lbs. The scale at the doctor's office confirmed that my weight is about right with my home scale.

Goodnight.
  • BHRichie
    Options
    Hello ladies, I’m glad I found this thread. This thread is awesome.

I’m 58 years old, and working to get healthier.

August Goals
    Go to gym 3 times each week.
    Continue to track everything I eat.
  • janie12835
    Options
    Reading, reading, and more reading to catch up!Oh, my, I think this was at page 9 when last I read & now it’s up to page 15!

• Katla – loved reading about you being roaring woman as you dealt with the dingy – just for you 532985jxfhvfi1fx.gif (later) glad DD’s dog is treatable. & I’ve been letting my blackberries go waiting for fruit – that’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it! Will cut them down after reaping the fruit from my lack of action.
    • Darla – good start, all those ½ lbs. add up quickly
    • Helen – with you in spirit as I read and comment and find my motivation as well
    • 50by50 – I’m sure several ladies have posted supportive comments here, it’s a great place to come for help and affirmations, good luck!
    • Sonja – hello, yes, we will have to keep each other on track once the weather turns, won’t we? Great goals! (later) hope the evil companion didn’t hang around too long
    • Barbie – I like what I’ve glanced at about Blue Zone, more reading to do
    • Jane – happy tracking with your pedometer!
    • Sandy – About the imbalanced face – I’m sure your DD is right: I forget who I asked on this thread about facial exercises but maybe that’s something to add in? I’ve done some but not as a regular routine yet.
    • Grandmallie – sorry about the sore heel! Ice is definitely your friend for that. Ditto what Pat said You just don't do "Take it Easy on that Foot", do you?
    • Genealace – hope you get good results on your bone density test, let us know. (later) Fantastic news on your bone density & the 1.6 lbs. lost!
    • Meg – isn’t it great when the doctor says good things? Great job with the 7 hrs. of exercise – go you! Love the idea of finding the garage, in my case it’s getting the “barn”/shop organized with DH. Should be an interesting project – we get to babysit someone else’s Harley for a while, too. Good grief! (later) CONGRATS: “I have been living a healthy lifestyle now for a whole year.”
    • Critter Sue – ready to join you on the track again, happy your baby is better, love the idea of streaky hair & blue nails
    • yanniejannie – what a shock hearing something like that: it reminds us how precious are those around us
    • Pat – it was a speed driving trip, not literally, but picking DH up at Seatac Airport and heading straight for Sturgis. My body’s not used to staying still for that long anymore. Ended up taking about 22 hours with fuel, potty, stretching stops and road construction! I stayed in Sheridan WY Tuesday night (really Wed. morning at 2 AM once I got back to room we rented on way to Sturgis), got up at 8:15, showered, grabbed a banana (not many healthy breakfast choices), fueled up and headed out again. Arrived home 16 hours later completely frazzled by insane road construction at Snoqualmie Pass that I didn’t expect.
    • Vicki – I hope you saw the number you wanted! Barb shared a site that has animated graphics; I search for one that seems to fit without taking too much time since it’s easy to get caught up in them. When you click on the animated graphic you want, it takes you to where you find the code in the second box down to paste in. Site is http://www.glitter-graphics.com/ (LATER) my total loss 103. Happy Dance!!!! happy for you 3010388x0og3kqfjh.gif
    • Michele – sending Bryan and Diana a short email, good for you keeping lines open!
    • Joyce – what an attitude, LOVE IT!
    • Amanda – just remember not to push it until you are sorted out please AKA ditto what Grandmallie said!
    • DeeDee – what’s the news from your doctor? Any answers yet?
    • Cindy – thanks for reminding me to take hints, too
    • Darla – yep, that’s it, your mantra, “just keep logging, logging, logging!”
    • Robin – I like your choice of focusing on steps and logging food
    • Cindy – before the day is out I will also be doing some Leslie time, either the 3 or 4 miles with toning, gotta love that sweat!
    • Heather – I love that you’re planning to go to DS event doing things as you feel fitter, go Heather!
    • Rychina – ladies here of all ages and fitness levels. One commonality – ultra supportive!
    • Barbie – congratulations on “ Line dance performance went very well. We knew the dances and we looked great in red shirts, black pants, and red cowboy hats.”
    • Joyce – thanks for sharing why you approach your MS as you do
    • Anamika – will report on book tomorrow, only reading haven’t tried anything yet :-b
    • Suzy – when I first started having my evening snack attack cravings, I went to the gym that’s about 10ish minutes from me. Now, I either walk the dog or find another way to keep moving.
    • Subzeromambo – good job on the 2 lbs.
    • Robin (& the rest of you plankers :-b)– was talking to a friend today about those of you who can do planks for any length of time, we agreed that right now our tummies might not get off the floor with the rest of us if we even tried one
    • Joyce – on trip to Sturgis I decided that I’d let myself cheat by having breakfast at Cracker Barrel, so much for that idea – very disappointing food choices for some reason & I ended up having 2 small eggs, sourdough toast & bacon. “Bacon, what’s that?” was my body’s reaction, not a happy one at that. So much for cheating
    • Pat – “drama, intrique and trouble in my family”- I empathize with how you must be feeling, I, too, have some family members who would do something similar and then expect the problems to disappear. Some type of magical thinking I guess. Not at all evil acknowledging how that makes you feel, especially here in a supportive environment.
    • Meg – “it was long enough to cover the “naughty bits”!!!!!”- still laughing here. Yea on the mammogram!
    • Kathie – welcome, doable goals, good for you!
    • Grandmallie – super glue doesn’t always work where sometimes 2-part mixable glue will. I’m trying some tonight for armband I had to replace because I cracked it; I’ll let you know if it works.
    • Jane – Yippee! 10,000 steps! I have days where it feels like nothing and other days where OMG how can I NOT be at 10,000 yet.
    • Pat – I started researching the effects of alcoholism on families in a limited way when I was around 13 – mother (sorry, cannot write DM) was a drinker extraordinaire. Left home when I was 16 as a result. I know much of my eating is a reaction to her drinking since I will not be that alcoholic. Have tried taking control of my life multiple times, obviously still searching. Giving up control is hard but I’m trying. So is letting go. I’m getting there more effectively this time also because I’m writing it “out loud” and continually admitting things to this wonderful group. Recalling the supportive advice that I share is also helping me know what I should do. Sending good thoughts!
    • Gail – wow, look at you knocking out those steps and machines, you animal!
    • eileenwalnum – we are all here! If you cannot exercise for now, can you be sure to log all of your food so that you stay aware of what’s going in? What things can you do that distract you? I can always get lost in a good book – what’s your favorite distractions poison?

AUGUST GOALS
     Log every day!
     Find healthier food options to work into daily meals
     Exercise every day
     By end of August, do 30 minutes of vigorous exercise daily (now doing ~20)
     Keep moving all day (no excessive couch lounging!)

Janie, Pacific NW

this may need to be my graphic for a while, I need to channel this energy 245910c5vhn8ec6y.gif 245910c5vhn8ec6y.gif 245910c5vhn8ec6y.gif 245910c5vhn8ec6y.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,952 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kate in Brooklyn, I went to Carleton….graduated in 1967….two good books to help you get started with strength training at home are “Strong Women Stay Young” and “Thinner Year”…..both have plans that include pictures and good instructions and don’t require a lot of space or expensive equipment.

:bigsmile: Janemartin, congrats on your 10,000 steps

:flowerforyou: Phoo, going to Al-Anon is a great idea……it’s an exceptional spiritual program.

:bigsmile: Meg, that’s great news about your mammogram

:bigsmile: Genealace, glad the bone density news was good.

:bigsmile: Janie, your replies to everyone are amazing.

:bigsmile: We had dinner with friends tonight----fresh salmon, black rice, roasted veggies, salad, watermelon…..stayed too late and talked too much----after two line dances classes today, not too much time to respond to everyone.

:heart: Barbie from sunny and warm NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif