Replies

• jsan916
    jsan916 Posts: 1
    Options
    What is a plank?
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am truly saddened and sickened to the core of my being. About 30 - 40 miles east of me a grandmother received a letter from "a pissed off mother". This letter was about her autistic grandson and how his noise scared her "normal" children. This woman goes on to say that he should be euthanized and his non retarded parts should be donated to science. I've put the link here but beware it is absolutely disgusting. When I saw it making the rounds on facebook, I had hoped it was some sort of sick joke. It's not, the police are involved and are considering laying charges. The one positive about all of this is that her neighbourhood has rallied behind her. They took to the streets last night in support of this poor grandmother and grandson. I am in shock that another human being could be so full of hate.

I'm battling another migraine today but still did my walk this morning. :happy: My boss is on the road today and the guy in the shop is on vacation so I'm all alone at work today. yipee :laugh:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/ontario-police-aware-hateful-letter-telling-family-euthanize-171036930.html

Katla – wow I can’t imagine. I’m glad that your DH is feeling better…scary. There is no bigger joy for me either then being connected to my kids.

Deedee – I love your fairy garden.

Joyce - I absolutely love hearing the stories about your family.

Heather – take care of yourself, I hope you feel better really soon. I can’t wait to see a picture of the new raincoat lol

Liz – Im glad you are able to be there for your sister, I’m sure she loves having you there with her. Don’t forget to take care of yourself too.

Kate – your “scooter” vacations sound heavenly. I would really like to do something like that one day. Eastern Canada is so beautiful. Have you been there before? I have friends in PEI. I totally get the stress before a vacation. Try and take it one day at a time, baby steps and it will all be ok.

Rhonda – good for you running in the rain. Happy birthday! It’s awesome that you got to have such a nice birthday dinner.

Meg – congratulations on the loss! YAY!! Oh my goodness, your poor DH. I had to google chiggers as I’ve never heard of them before. It sounds dreadful.

Michelle – I’m not in the dental field and I too hate flossing. Mine is because I am a grinder & clencher, my teeth are very close together because of it and even the hygienist has a problem flossing my teeth. I tend to use these dental picks (almost like toothpicks) and am able to get between my teeth that way.

Grandmallie – sodium is my nemesis even more so then calories. I try and log my food for the entire day in the morning and some days I have to change things around because of sodium and then I’m too low on calories…..ugh I just can’t believe how much sodium is in some things.

56pickusticks – welcome, come back often and post as much as you’d like. It’s a great bunch of ladies here and very supportive.

Happy Tuesday everyone

:heart: Sandy from Ontario
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Ladies- Sorry that I have been AWOL, but I just can't seem to get myself motivated to do anything productive and healthy lately. ( I have been reading the posts, but I haven't been taking notes, so my replies to individuals may be old news.)
    --I did lose 1 pound this week, but it was not because I was doing anything special. It was a gift. But, I will take it and say "Thank You". Hopefully, I will wake up soon and get back to business.
    --When I went to the Dr last week about my dizzziness, he said he thought it was my ears, so they cleaned them. Well, it must not be my ears because I am still getting dizzy when I move from a sitting to a standing position. It is not a nice feeling, and I want it to stop! He is on vacation for 3 weeks, so I guess I just take it easy until he gets back.
    -- My family is still being..... well, they are being themselves..... not nice. It bothers me, and I am grateful that I am 2000 miles away.
    --Katla-- My SO is diabetic and does not properly monitor himself. Over the years I have had to just give that up to God because if I say anything to my SO about it, he reminds me it is his problem, not mine. True, but worrisome. I am glad that your DH is doing better after his episode.
    --Barbie-- Love the picture!
    --Michelle-- Glad that the mirror got put up. If I waited for my SO to do things like that on his own, I would have empty walls!

Ok- time to go off and try to be efficient. I am going to another Al-Anon meeting today, so I want to get some reading done before I get there. I will check back in later; Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Pat
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday morning dear friends. It is getting hot and humid here again. The State Fair starts here Thursday so for the 10 days it will hot. Guess it is good for them. But I just hate the heat. I have a question. Does anyone know how to get rid of the band that shows up sometimes across the page? It happens to me every couple days and then I can not read what is under it. I have looked and clicked on differnent places and it will not go away. I am up to date on reading the posts so will see how well I remember what I wanted to say.

Welcome to all the newbies and come back often we are a great group. I have found so much support and help here.

Joyce- I so enjoy reading about your family. I think the book sounds like a great idea and the names would make me want to read it. Your parents marriage is what a marriage is to be. I remember when I was 11 years old my dad had a live radio show. My sister and brother and I sang on it several times. I sure would not do that today. How do you like your sleep number bed? We have talked about getting one, but I don't want to spend that much money and then not like it. We bought a mattress set acouple years ago from Slumberland and it was so hard we could not sleep on it. They would not exchange it( we bought their cover) so we ended up selling it for less then a third of what we paid.

grandmallie- I wanted to print out a report on my calories for acouple weeks. I got to where it asked which report and how many days, but could not get any farther. Gald you found someone to fix your jacket.

genealace- Sorry to hear about DBF's son and the adopition. About 14 years ago we were going to adopt a baby that the mom was a friend of DH's sister. This was her 4th child and she knew she could not take care of it. We met and dicided to adopt the baby when she was born. The lawyers had the papers already and when she had the baby the lawyer could not get to the hospital till then next day and we were there to pick her up and the mom changed her mind. We found out later she had given the baby to someone else who paid her. We had to pay for both lawyers and we so hurt. Hope you enjoied your play. I enjoy going when we can. Both High schools here put acouple on a year and our DGD in Omaha loves to act and she is in acouple a year and we go watch them.

Meg-- sounds like you have good diabetes benifits. My doctor changed my blood to every 6 months since the last couple were so good. I take metformin also and have found if I take cinnmon pills it keeps my BS down. Sounds like DH's time with his Aunt was a Blessing. When DH's mom was so sick with the cancer his sisters and us sit with her around the clock the last 3 weeks. So now we know we did all we could. Sorry to hear about his chiggers. Hope they get better fast.

Barbie- What a great morning plan you have. DH and I pray together when we go to bed and when we wake up before getting out of bed. When I wake up early I find it is easy to pray and just talk to God before I get up.

Kate- I agree when I get home from work off comes the bra and most of the time out come the teeth. Since I have lost weight my bottom plate does not fit right and makes sores. I put pads in but that only helps so much. Don't want to replace them till I am at goal as insurance only pays so much a year and they cost to much. Also since I have lost weight my bra will not keep things in place. I think I need to try the butterfly machine Teri was talking about. Seems I spend alot of time during the day putting things back where they should be. Scooter vacation sounds like fun. I would love to do that on our trike as we have a small sleeping campper we can pull. I have always wanted to go to Canada and now we need a passport, but been talking about going to a big CMA ralley they have every year, only it will be acouple years before we go. I also get myself so worked up before we go somewhere, I am so afraid of forgetting something I will need.

Rhonda- Happy Birthday Hope you do something special for you!!

Karla- Glad DH is ok. Keeping BS in safe zone is not always easy. I have found taking cinnomon pills helps mine alot. Not sure where I read that but I have been doing it for several years and I can tell the difference if I miss acouple days.

Liz- Hugs and prayers to your and your sister. It is so hard to see those we love in pain and when we can not do anything is makes us feel so helpless. My friend Lee did not get good news with her tests. It is cancer and she is seeing the surgeon today.
    It sounds like they will have to take both breast and then chemo and Radation.

DeeDee what a great memory for DGD. I try and do speical things with my GC as I have great memories of time I spent with my grandparents.

Sandy- Congrates on the loss and the new shoes and bathing suit. Sounds like you had a good day.

Heather- Glad to hear you are on antibistics and hope you feel better soon.

Well guess that is about all I have to say. I did get a nice surprise this morning as it is weigh in day. I lost 7.8 pounds. I had to look at it twice and have DH look. I have really been working on it this last week. I have been doing alot of walking. This morning my toes hurt so looked and on right foot 3 toes have blisters. So having a hard time walking today. Last evening DH and I went to a country gospel concert. and it was very relaxing. They did alot of the older gospel songs. One guy really reminded me of dad. I kept thinking if he was still alive he would of enjoied the music. Have a great day ladies and keep on logging!!!

Blessed! Vicki from HOT again GI NE
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    I did about 45 minutes of a bosu DVD today. My glasses broke (just what I needed) and at first I tried to fix them. Just wore my old glasses, went to the church and got the tables from them, stopped at the place where they installed the carpet padding because while we were putting things back, we found an insulated mug which we think belongs to one of the workers. It was NASTY so I ran it thru my dishwasher. Oh, first I stopped at CVS to get their soda on sale but then I had to take it to WalMart since CVS doesn't carry caffeine-0\free coke (why, I don't know), then went to the UPS store to mail my shoes back to Amazon, brought the Outlook home and got my car, went for my mammogram, then to the mall where they were able to fix my glasses (thank goodness, I had visiions of having to get a new pair). Then came home and started getting things ready for decorating the cakes for the social. Put aluminum foil on cardboard for the base, cut one of the sugar wafers in half, got the gummy lifesafers and put the Teddy Grahams in them, food processed some of the rest of the honey grahams to represent "sand", cut up the licorice so I can use it for the stairs for the ladder. The hardest part seems to be getting the licorice to curve for the top of the stairs into the pool. I tried putting it into a circle and using a toothpick to hold it in place. Hope this works!

Vince put down some of this powder stuff on the carpet but we need to get more (he used the two boxes we had). We will need to go out later today to get the tables from this restaurant where they are stored and pick up the chairs, so we'll just leave a bit early and stop at WM first.

Tomorrow is yoga and then the deep water class. We're going out to lunch with the one guy who is going to cohost, not sure if the other guy is going to come or not. Anyway, he's going to bring the tables for us that he has (2 of them) and if the other guy (who is his neighbor) doesn't come, then **** will bring the plates, napkins, forks, cup, etc from the Newcomers for us.

barbie - I remember when we had the first social, Vince put up a sign on the bedroom door "warning, attack cats behind door, enter at your own risk" along with a picture of each cat looking very mellow. Well, we don't have those cats any longer and I've mentioned to him a few times that he needs to take pictures of the cats for the sign.

joyce - I'm in the same boat, sometimes I just can't think of the right word. And I don't have MS!!!!

katla - Reach Access Flossers - I'm going to put that on my shopping list right now. Wonder if WM carries them? Since we have to go there tonight, myabe I can pick them up. Thanks for the tip

Heather - sure do hope those antibiotics help

56pickupstick - I recognize you! Glad you came back

katla - I'd try taking the yoga mat back even without the receipt. What's the worst they can say? "No, we won't take it back" and you won't be any worse off then you are right now. Without a receipt, they might very well let you at least exchange it. Have fun at the tavern

jb - so happy for you and your dh. woohoo filling out your new weight. Today at my mammogram they asked me my weight, I sheepishly said "around 135". Yuk!

Sandy - how horrible

vicki - I don't see a band. What a loss. The Wii showed a gain today, but I also know that I was having a problem with constipation. It finally came out, I bet I lost 2 or 3 pounds!

Don't know why, but I'm really tired. Will lay down for a bit and then we'll probably go out.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :grumble: :angry: :angry: :angry:
    My cat just walked across my keyboard and some how it deleted everything I wrote. But she's so cute I always forgive her.

Ouch mastitis. I know women who have engorged breasts after delivering a baby get it but how do women our age get it? Hope the antibiotics work soon. The thought of a cross Canada trip sounds wonderful but the railway or driving would be better to me than scooter. I am not a ind in your face kind of girl. After the wonderful invention of air conditioning in our cars I would like to forget about the days of 4x4 air conditioning or open all four windows. I am a Holiday Inn kind of girl.

I fully intended to go to the grocery store yesterday and just didn't do it. I am out of carrots and I have them every day for lunch. I love those mini carrots but according to waht you get sometimes they can be a bit bitter. Walmart carries an organic one that is so sweet. I am quite challenged when it comes to thinking of what's for dinner. So my lunches are pretty much the same, a Gala apple, carrots and I alternate between a grilled cheese (on the George Foreman), peanut butter and sweet pickles (6 of them) and an cheese and egg sandwich. I cook the egg in the microwave so it's not fried. I use the Healthy life 35 calorie bread so it's a low calorie and and satifies me.

Got to raid the kitchen, Joyce
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else having trouble getting in to log their food, or is it just my possessed computer?

Jane- I have an autistic great-nephew who is an absolute treasure to our family. When I saw the article on MSN, I was sick to my stomach. I know that some autistic children are difficult to be around, but they are still God's gifts to us, as is every other child, and we are to treasure, care for, love and protect them. Some adults just need to ....... well, I don't know what to really do about evil people, but keep my loved ones far away from their hatred. I hope your migraine goes away soon. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Pat
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    What I am looking for is not out there, it is in me.
    - Helen Keller
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    WOW, I looked in the freezer and found a bag of Green Giant steamer red potatoes and beans. I looked at the calories and sodium and it 'seemed; to be OK. but when I looked at the whole meal. To much sodium. Between my pickles and those steamers I really have to watch it. OK, going to go drink a gallon of water. I guess I should have checked the expiration of the the bag. I bought it quite a few years ago when I was in 'a stage'. I have kept the bag around to use as an ice bag. Now I need a new ice bag. I just won't get one that has 300 mg of sodium. The potatoes tasted pretty good but the green beans tasted like the fresh green beans Mom always had from our gardens. Oh how I hated those fresh beans. I still hate the sound of things breaking and popping. it reminds me of the days sitting on the back stoop snapping beans for Mom to blanch and put in the freezer.

Joyce
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Pat - I also have trouble putting in my food diary; computer just seems to freeze up. So if your computer is possessed, I do believe mine must be too :bigsmile:

Kalley - I saw that letter on Facebook yesterday and was as horrified as you were. I do hope the Ontario police charge that person with every applicable thing they can. It was truly the ugliest, hateful thing I have seen in a very long time.

Sorry - I lost your name - loved the 4x4 air conditioning! We had a slightly different name for it - 460 - 4 windows open at 60 mph.

Jill in western MA (and formerly of Omaha)
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Today is my one year anniversary on MFP. Actually, I did really good with my logging and exercise for 9 months then just lost my way. Today I looked at my calendar and saw the note that I started a year ago at 173.6. Never could get the right starting weight on my ticker. Anyway, weighed this morning and posted it to my ticker. It wasn't pretty because it was 6 lbs above my lowest weight in April. So that's my confession and I'm ready to get real. Unfortunately, I injured my sciatic nerve when I had a fall in the garden and it's painful to walk right now. But it's getting better and will not be too long before I can begin to exercise. Missed the best day of the summer to golf today.:huh:
    I've read most of the posts and feel connected again. Also been thinking of Phyllis and her family in Egypt. We visited there a year ago and enjoyed it so much.
    Impressed with the great weight losses from the group. You girls are awesome.
    I'll be back tomorrow!
    Sue in TX
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,880 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Saw the doctor today and I still have to wear the sling for my shoulder but can wean off it over the next six weeks. He also told me I was doing well but would still be off work until probably October 10. The last date he gave me was September 10 so this is an extra month from what I was planning. However he did tell me I can start doing water therapy.:happy: He also refilled my prescription for oxycodone for those days after PT. For that I am very grateful!

Hmm - Scooter vacations sound like fun but I would rather be on my horse. I rode with a wagon train once where we rode from town to town and camped at night. I only did a couple of days but it was a lot of fun. We have also taken horses to the Black Hills and camped. Then we ride out each day from camp. Have plans this fall to camp and ride at Turkey Creek. Hope I am fit to ride by then.

Heather - Mastitis sounds awful. Hope you are better soon.

Healing angels to all who need them and congrats to so many of you doing so well. Sue in SD
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    JB-glad your husband got a job.I know how you felt.Hubby was out of work ,three years and we did loose our house.
    Hot one today.
    HUGS
    jane
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    Vicki- before I forget , if you see a dentist see if they can reline your bottom plate.. we do it at our office and it is a simple and fairly inexpensive to do...
    Im one happy camper, got my new fit bit flex up and running...
    busy day today. going to make the DH some blueberry buckle in the am..
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Jill that was me with the 4x4. I like the 460! But Dad wold never go 60. I don't think he ever went that fast. His rules for himself were that the speed limit says 35, or whatever, so you go 5 MPH under. The key word is limit. So when most of the highways at the time were 55 there we were, cruising along at 50. Maybe it helped me though. One time we were cruising along at 50 and I thought my door sounded like it was open just a little bit. So silly me, if a door is ajar you open it up to slam it shut. My husband just knows it as the Peterson slam. Our doors always had to be slammed shut. they couldn't be shut any other way. Well what happens when you're in a car going 50 MPH, all four windows down and you open the door??? You fly out the door. There was always a lot of noise going on in the car what with all the singing and game playing we wold do so I guess they didn't miss one less kid flying down the highway behind the car. Luckily the car behind us did and was honking like it was the end of the world. Dad eventually saw that some one was honking at him and my siblings in the back seat realized the door was open. Needless to say they took an unexpected side trip to the hospital. My sister used to know where every one of the stitches in the back of my head. I will make sure I dedicate a full chapter to all of my nine lives in my book. Some day I will be at the end of those 9 lives.

Joyce
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hello fitnesspal beauties! Summer came back again! It was hot today, but nice. I had quite the frustrating day at work…no need to get into it, but I came home annoyed! :grumble: I am going to the hospital tomorrow to re-orient myself to the ICU, then Thursday and Friday I’m staying home because supposedly the basement is getting done, then clinical Monday and Tuesday….and guess what! It dawned on me that I won’t be back in my office til next Wednesday! Wow!

Rebel: I think all two year olds are terrorists! :bigsmile:

Robin: stay dry and warm and dream of the dogs!

Michele: DH is a little better…that chigger cream is really working now. Most of them are at least drying out, but oh my he is a sight!:happy:

Barbie: the chiggers came from Oklahoma. DH stays at a cousin’s house that is on top of a little hill and the aunt lives at the bottom of the hill and they are separated by cow pasture….lots of grass and snakes and chiggers and… and… and! Oh, and when you sit under the beautiful pecan and walnut trees, oaks, elms, and who knows what else….large spiders and larger ticks drop out of the trees onto you! ACK :noway:

Katla; wow you have been married a long time! Congratulations DH and I had a long talk last night about how this was starting to freak me out and how exercise is my priority and has to be done. And I’m not sure how getting home at 5, working on books, etc is going to help. So we have made some plans and adjustments…we’ll see how it works out.

Heather: take care of yourself please. Let us know what the doctors say…later… that nap will be good for you!

56pickup: welcome to our group!

DeeDee and Grandmallie: I floss irregularly too, but the glide does help. I read an article in the paper about how the germs in our mouths contribute to heart disease. It was entitled “Floss or die”. Nice! :smokin:

Jb: wow that’s a lot of produce you are putting up. Congrats on hubby’s job! That must be such a relief and exciting at the same time.

Sandy: holy cow I read that website and story about the letter that lady got. I was shaking I was so mad. :explode: That is incredible that someone could be so malevolent. You must not have chiggers up north! Lucky you!

Pat: I sure hope your dizziness goes away and does not cause significant problems. Is there another doctor covering for yours while he is away?

Vicki: ah yes, you are now the home of the state fair! One day I will actually go to one. I have never heard of cinnamon pills! I’ll have to look into them.

Michele: I get tired just reading about your day

Sue: happy anniversary on mfp!

Sue: progress on your shoulder!

OK gals, I’m off to make sure I have a pair of scrubs for tomorrow that don’t look like a cat gave birth on them. I had so much hair on my dress Monday it looked like a whole litter of kitties were hidden in the fabric! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Today’s dress was not so bad, but the scrubs are navy blue and you know how everything shows on that!
    Take care Meg from Omaha where summer has returned.
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Seems like forever ago since I last posted or logged:blushing: ...but today seemed to be the day to start...again. I have managed to gain while away..what a surprise, but have changed my profile numbers to reflect it:ohwell: our summer has been a little hectic, my mother had 2 ER trips and the second time we were able to get her admitted. She spent 6 days in hospital and 11 days in acute rehab...no real diagnosis in that time ...just 80 years old and lifestyle is catching up with her...she has quit smoking (after 65 years!) so we will take the win on that one. DS (still active Marine) is coming home in a few weeks and then he deploys to Afghanistan for 7 months...will enjoy him while he is home and pray the deployment is uneventful and passes quickly. Will try to keep p with the thread again...but you ladies are very active...hmmm just what I need...will start thinking about September goals...since I haven't had any in several months! Have a nice evening, ladies!
    Hugs and high fives!
    :heart:
    Jen from NY
  • rjscott
    rjscott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Meg–sorry to hear about your DH and the chiggers; they can make a person so miserable; classes begin here next week so we have in-service and other meetings this week
    Barbie–love the birthday greeting; thanks!
    Heather–hope you feel better soon
    Katla–thanks for the reminder that we are blessed each day
    Jb–what wonderful news and a relief to know your DH has a job
    Vicki–Congratulations on the weight loss
    Michele–would love to see a picture of the cakes you made for the social
    Joyce–I can’t imagine flying out a car door while driving on the highway; scary!!!!!
    I swam this morning and then sat in a meeting all morning. This afternoon I did some arm/shoulder strength training and then Pilates, as well as walking the dog. We actually had summer weather today–sunshine and warm temperatures. I noticed on the weather report that we are ~19 inches above normal for rainfall this year. Take care!
    Rhonda in SE TN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It’s past my bedtime and I’ve read the posts in a hurry and read about chiggers and vegetable gardens and vacations and attack cats and 2 year old grandchildren and mastitis and diabetes and prayer together in the morning and at night and a one year anniversary on MFP and evil people and I can’t keep it all straight……I had a sudden attack of the “hungries” and my brain said that crackers and peanut butter would be a good snack and then I realized that I was thinking about lots of crackers and lots of peanut butter :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: so I had a small apple and feel much better.

:love: :love: :love: Hugs to all of you and thank you for being by friends.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Joyce - I don't think I've ever heard of cooking an egg in the microwave. How do you do it?

Jill and Joyce - like your nicknames for air conditioning...lol

Sue in TX - congrats on your anniversary!

Sue in SD - sounds like you're coming right along. A wagon train sounds like so much fun!

katla - I got those Reach Access Flossers. Will give them a try tonight. Update: I used it tonight. I think I still have some getting used to with it, but that's something that I don't seem to mind using. Thanks for the suggestion.

Meg - I guess what you need is a navy blue cat....lol

Jen - hope your son stays safe.

Rhonda - haven't made the cake yet. I did make one like it a while ago for the gal (she's since been fired) at the Y who taught the deep water class, so I have the basics. Just need to put it all together. Tomorrow after the deep water class and before we go to lunch, I'll make up one batch of the blue jello (which will be the water). Not sure if I'll need one or two batches. I got two boxes of jello just in case.

We picked up two card tables and 4 chairs from this restaurant where we store them then went to a lady's house where we got 7 more chairs. Along with our 8 padded chairs and 4 older ones and our card table, I'm thinking we hopefully will have enough. If not, this one lady (I just found this out) has 8 more chairs that I can borrow.

At lunch tomorrow we'll get the two other tables and the supplies.

Michele in NC