WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone thinks I've dropped off the face of the earth and I kind of have. I don't know if I wrote about my stepdaughter's biological Mom committing suicide about 4 weeks ago. She actually made sure that my daughter found her and even blamed her in her goodbye note. I've never felt so much hatred for such a useless human being but even I didn't think she'd be this pathetic. And this just weeks before my daughter embarked on what should have been the happiest time of her life - moving away to college.

Then just days later I was thrown from my horse and broke 6 ribs - all displaced too - not just cracked. So I've been useless to my poor husband who has had to help clear out his ex's house, build a closet for the many clothes my daughter had kept at her Mom's, get my daughter packed and moved along with the normal responsibilities of dinner, football, soccer and 7 horses. The grass in our back yard is a forest.

Meanwhile I am living in a recliner and eating back all the pounds I've lost. And I sold my horse that was the love of my life. Just can't chance getting hurt anymore at my age. So now I'm on the hunt for a smaller older horse.

Oh, and then yesterday I find out that the husband of a lady friend of mine who is genuinely the kindest and most upbeat person I've ever known committed suicide. He and his wife were incredibly happy and had a really busy life with all their grand kids. There is no way that this man was depressed or had any intention of ending his life. He was on some kind of medication that is known for having this effect. I can't ask for enough prayers to help both my daughter and my friend to cope with their grief.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    wesseg-I am so sorry you are going through such a tough time, I will keep you,your daughter, and your friend in my prayers..
    genalace- I have dont that for years, always always ask for dressing on the side, and just dip the tines of the fork in the dressing...
    well talked to the DGD and my daughter took alot of pictures.. she looked adorable and really enjoyed herself. I think this will open a whole new world to her:bigsmile:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I am so behind on reading and posting. I'll hit a few, catch some more next time.

Meg, I'm so sorry for the diabetes diagnosis. At least you now know that you can eat according to plan. That should give you a little less of an overwhelmed feeling about it.

Sandy, I missed your original story about the shoe shopping, but am glad you finally got a pair that will work for you.

Heather, I'm glad you are feeling better. I had mastitis once when I was breast-feeding my second child. Not fun! BTW, did you ever get the Wright Socks? Did you like them?

Michele, I'm glad you found a floss that will work. I'll tell you what a former student of mine, now a dentist, says about flossing. He says you don't have to floss all your teeth, just the ones you want to keep.

I'm thinking about adding some strength training to my exercise routine. I've decided that may b what I need to bump it up to the next level.

Later,
    Kay
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I had a good day in the intensive care unit re-orienting myself. But I got really hypoglycemic before lunch and ended up eating too much and when I got home I went to bed with a migraine for a couple of hours. Feel better now but foggy.

Jen: nice to see you again. Prayers and hugs for mom and your Marine.

Rhonda you got some nice exercise in!

Barbie: I think you summarized the thread quite well although I admit to missing the attack cats

Michele: you have solved my problem. I need a navy blue cat, but then I need a pink one, a purple one, a yellow one (well they do have those)! LOL

Joyce : I like those egg sandwiches too

Katla: those kind of chores never seem like work to me because they are so therapeutic

Melanie: ;great job beating the cravings! It will be great to work out with a celebrity like that!

Genealace: great job lawn bowling

Grandmallie: great attitude…that weight will come off sooner or later. First day of school…so exciting!

Anamika: sometimes those life events happens, and it’s good to just enjoy all of it as a special treat

DeeDee: you are having rain again? Don’t float away!

Jane: hope you are having a good day!

Robin: sorry your vacation has been so poor weather-wise. I bet you’ll be glad to get back to the dogs.

Heather; good news on the weight loss! Hope the mastitis is getting better now

Vicki: it’s hot here too but it finally feels like summer!

Pat: sorry your night was so bad. I forgot if you know why you have this stomach issue? Is there anything you can do about it?

Suzy: good attitude about not gaining!

Suebdew: take care of your back/butt!

Carol: I have been missing you! I remember about the suicide and the broken ribs. Both are so horrible. And now this latest suicide…I’m sending prayers and hugs to you.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: You must be reeling! You’ll lose the weight when you can get up and get around. I’m so sorry you had to sell your horse. My best friend doesn’t ride at all anymore because she is on anticoagulants and is afraid of falling or being thrown, but she still has the horses..about 7 of them. I hope you come back again soon.

I’m heading off to eat dinner…bbq chicken, coleslaw, corn….Usually a reasonable dinner, but after lunch, I’ll be over. Oh well. One more episode like this and I’m stopping the new evening dose of metformin. Take care everyone. Meg from Omaha where the chiggers seems to be starting to bother DH a little less but he still looks awful!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Carol :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: My heart is just breaking right now for all that you have had to go through. Some times I look forward to when the Rapture happens and we will all be taken into arms of God and know that we do't have to go through all that heartache. Is there any volunteering on the phone for suicide prevention, horse rescue or something that you can do to help you feel like you are helping. You had the strength to lose the weight before, you will find it within yourself to do it again. Let us know what we can do to help.

Joyce
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Anamika, do not be discouraged…..just make a fresh start right now….everybody had bumps in the road….as long as you keep posting on this thread, you know that you want to make positive changes.

:bigsmile: DeeDee, lunch today was fun and the food was delicious……it looked so beautiful when it came to the table…..I had swimming rama---chicken, spinach, white meat chicken, and brown rice.

:bigsmile: Heather, it sounds like you are feeling better…good idea to get some extra rest

:flowerforyou: Jb and Vicki, it was very exciting for me when my weight got down below the weight I lied about on my driver’s license…it took two years before it was time to get a new license so I could change my weight and get a new picture taken.

:brokenheart: Pat, sorry your lovely dinner treated you so badly…..as much as love peanut butter, I’m not moderate with it so I have to limit the times I can eat it.

:bigsmile: Suzy in DE, congrats on your 14.000 steps a day.

:bigsmile: Joyce, good planning at lunch

:flowerforyou: Sue in TX, the longer you stay away from the foods that cause problems, the easier it will be……you are so right to take it one day at a time.

:flowerforyou: Genealace, I’m learning to eat salad with no dressing at all….I haven’t found anything that’s worth the calories

:brokenheart: :brokenheart: Cheryl, you have had some major bumps in the road…..do not be discouraged……I am especially sorry about your having to sell your horse….my hubby had to stop riding completely because of a back injury.

:flowerforyou: Kay, some of us from this thread are doing a strength training challenge…..here is the link to the thread
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069105-strength-training-challenge

:flowerforyou: We have more beautiful weather today that encouraged me to work in the yard and walk the dogs after coming home from dance and lunch. This morning Jake did something to the computer that caused it to go crazy but a long time on the phone with his friend, the computer genius, got it fixed. On Friday he’ll take the friend to lunch to say thank you.

:heart: Barbie from sunny NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just got caught up on all of the posts. My sister and I just returned from a trip to Ohio to take my niece to college. It was great to be able to see where she will be and to help her settle in. Very emotional as well! Eating wasn't the best, no real exercise, and very little sleep. Oh, well. I will just start over tomorrow! I am meeting with the nutritionist to get some ideas for protein filled breakfasts and snacks. I just don't enjoy meat anymore and don't eat any fish or seafood. Right now I am using protein bars and shakes which I like, but would like to be able to fulfill my protein requirement with more "real" food and less of the shakes and bars.

I am going to bed- just too tired to respond to all tonight. Will be back tomorrow.

Cheryl- I am so sorry to hear about all you are dealing with. I have missed your posts. I hope you find just the right horse to purchase. Am praying for strength and peace for your daughter and fast healing for you.

Good night all.

Deb A in CNY
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    I got that band this morning, but it just seems to occur when I'm on my laptop, not on the desktop. Like I couldn't see the start of Joyce's post but on my desktop I can. Weird.

Joyce - I usually will fry my egg but I also have a veggie burger and put that in the microwave. Along with the egg I usually have some egg sustitute and lately I've been putting cheese on top of that. What a breakfast. I like my yolks runny, but I could maybe scramble the egg and put that in the microwave. To me, there's just something about the consistency of hard-cooked egg yolks. Well, that's one of the few foods that I really don't care for.

katla - cleaning the boat, as weird as this may sound, sounds really relaxing. I know that I enjoy cleaning the pool. Wish some of that job would transfer into cleaning the house....lol

Melanie - getting to workout with Shawn T! I'd be over the moon

Joyce - the point the team has to give another is called a handicap. I'm glad mine is so high. Good for you increasing your average! Mine doesn't seem to be going up. I wish I could take some private lessons, I think that would really help me, but the bowling alley by us for some reason is now opening later and later in the day and staying open later and later in the evening. I know when we go for the Newcomers bowling league we leave around 9 and there's practically no one there. This isn't Charlotte where people are out later. Hickory is more retired people who do things early in the day. Oh well...... they'll do what they want to do

According to the Wii, I was down today. I knew that I would be.

grandmalle - the first day of kindergarten is such a milestone. I still remember when my kids first day was, I was so strong until they got on the bus and it pulled away. Then I'd cry like a baby!

Joyce - my hubby likes (get this) peanut butter and bacon on toast. For variety, he sometimes will have peanut butter and potato chips (yes, in a sandwich, not the chips on the side)

Robin - so sorry the weather isn't cooperating for you. But on the bright side..it's so nice to take a vacation and just get away

Heather - you WERE so good eating! I'm proud of you. And on that pound down, WTG girl

Went to yoga then the deep water class. After coming home and giving Loki his med, I went to Sally's. Actually, I had a pair or earrings I was about to give away, but decided I'd see if they were real gold. They were MIL's, I never wear them, but she at the end had her good jewelry with her costume jewelry. I fully expected it to be costume jewelry, but it's 14 karat gold. Who would have thunk? I'll probably trade them in and get these stackable rings that I am eyeing. Then went to Sally's and got this stuff for covering roots. Evidentally, it doesn't last all that long and, I didn't know this, but if you get something and try it and it isn't the right shade, you can return the unused portion. Then I went to WalMart to redeem some coupons that I had. Actually, I got them off the Internet after I'd bought the items.

Then we went to lunch with the other 2 couples who are cohosting the social. I had a black bean burger, just water to drink, and instead of the fries had what is called a "veggie boat", basically, it's carrot sticks and celery.

Vicki - how horrible for that boy!

Pat - yes, I do have a KitchenAid mixer. Really, it's so heavy, I've seen where basically you have it in a wall on a sliding platform and there's a door so it's out of sight but easily accessible. How I'd love to have that! Don't think it can be done right now, tho. We talked today, and I'm going to get the ice tea since I have a membership at Sam's and the gal in charge of the socials thinks I should probably have more plastic wine glasses. So I'll buy more and if we don't use them, then I'll return them.

Joyce - many times the lunch menu item is just a smaller amount than on the dinner menu. Ask and many times restaurants will give you the lunch portion. I know that I usually get a chicken meal at Olive Garden that's on their lunch menu but isn't on their dinner menu, but they'll serve it to me at dinnertime.

Sue in TX - the party is this Saturday. So far, 34 people have signed up. But from having hosted socials in the past, I know that there will be people who didn't respond who will come, people who responded that won't come so I'm prepared. We got the tables and items from the Newcomers social committee today. To be a bit honest, at first glance, I'm thinking that there aren't enough supplies. Maybe I'm wrong. I seem to recall that the items for the social were given to the host/hostess in a plastic container, I got them in a plastic bag. Well, they're still in the car so when we bring them in, I'll see if there's enough. I do have to buy the iced tea, they told me to buy it in the gallon jugs (premade). I volunteered to buy it since I have a Sam's membership. Wonder how many bottles of water there are? See, my way is to have more than enough and if needed, I can always return some. But that's just me. I usually take the food items out of the refrigerator to deforst that we're going to have for dinner the following week. I'm trying to cut that down this week, or at least not have something that needs defrosting until Wednesday.

genalace - water leaking is not fun at all. One time water from our washing machine leaked downstairs (really, twice but once was my fault and I just never told Vince about it). I always ask for my salad dressings on the side. One of the reasons is because I've found that many times the restaurants put waaaayyyyy too much dressing on. Also, this way I don't have to have any. Like today at lunch, I got this ranch dressing for the veges, just dipped a carrot and then a piece of celery in it and didn't have any more. It just didn't appeal to me. Now that black bean burger......... It's interesting how tastes change

Cheryl - you've certainly been thru an awful lot. Prayers for all concerned

Meg - you HAVE heard of hair dye????? lol (colorful cats). So sorry you aren't feeling well, but glad you're getting better

Great news!!!! The riverrock is in!!! We're getting the last (it d*** well better be the last) 5 yards delivered Friday.

Deb - the thing that I'm not crazy about with protein shakes and bars is that they almost always have so much added sugar that sometimes they are almost like a candy bar. I did find a protein drink with no added sugar (or artificial preservatives), but it was so expensive. I'd rather get my protein from foods, too. Greek yogurt is pretty high in protein.

Michele in NC
  • etak17
    etak17 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Been (mostly) keeping up with the posts and wanted to jump in and say hello before I go to bed.
    Sending out lots and lots of {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}} to you all, but especially those facing stressful or difficult issues. I hope things get better soon.
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Kate in Brooklyn:flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: It is a wise woman to know when to keep her mouth shut. I'm not wise. :laugh: The best thing we could do to reorganize our garage is to throw away a lot of our precious things. Too bad it won’t happen any time soon. (My treasures, his junk versus his treasures, my junk.):wink:

Robin: I’m sorry your Alaska trip featured a shipload of rain. :ohwell: I hope you found ways to enjoy yourselves despite the weather. We had a sailing trip to BC about 13 or 14 years ago that began in mid June-uary and ended during the first few days of Jul-ember. We stopped in at Princess Louisa, and had chilly rain and cold weather the whole time we were there. We were with friends and found ways to have fun despite the weather. A commercial shrimper tied up at the docks while we were there. We asked if we could buy some shrimp, and they said they were sorry they couldn’t sell us any shrimp. (Against the rules.) They could sell us bait, though. Our bait was delicious. It came frozen in boxes that said P R A W N S on them.:bigsmile: The day we left the clouds lifted a bit to reveal snow about 50 above sea level where we were floating.:grumble:

Heather UK: Your colorful outfits sound fabulous. WTG! :bigsmile: Don’t leave us when you reach your goal. We’ll still need your moral support and stories.:wink:

Vicki: I’ve thought that the trike motorcycles were a good idea for a long time now, especially good for those of us who are no longer young. I hope you have a great time with yours.:flowerforyou:

Pat (Phoo in AZ): I hope your digestive system quits punishing you. You might have to go for a soft diet for a while to rest it. I’m thinking of ice-cream (occasional treat) yogurt, cottage cheese, soup… I have no idea what your trigger foods are, but I"m trying to think of things that are likely to digest easily. Good luck.:flowerforyou:

Suay in DE: Good work!:bigsmile:

Suebdew: “Whale washing” isn’t for everyone, but I did have fun. :wink: You’re right about that.:bigsmile:

Wessecg: I’m so sorry you had to sell your horse. but if he wasn’t safe for you to continue riding, you’ve done what you had to do. :cry: I hope the one you find to replace him turns out to be an absolute love.:heart: I have an open mind about suicide for people with incurable end stage diseases like cancer, but not for people who kill themselves to punish friends or family for being happy. :noway: That is just selfish meanness. :mad: Better days are coming. I’m sure of it.:flowerforyou:

We are having SaTurkey Day this Saturday as a going away party for DS, who will soon be deployed. It is hard to know he’ll be gone for months and in some danger. We need to stay focused on letting him know how proud we are of him. :heart: He’s career military and has been gone many times before. It doesn't get easier. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

August goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 2 glasses of water daily.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Katla :flowerforyou: I can't even begin to think what it is to be a Mom to a career military man. My brother was in the navy for 20 years and they never knew where there next move was. We didn't hear from them a lot anyway so to me life wasn't much different when he was gone than when he was living at the base. His wife would let us know though when he was unable to call her on his computer. He was on one of the nuclear subs and when they got in dangerous water they had to go down in the ocean as far as they could so not to be detected. But on their choice they decided to move as far as they could from Mom and dad. So I'm sure Mom did a lot more worrying than I did. He still cant talk about his missions.

I think 'scrubbing the whale' must be a little like what Gibbs on NCIS does when he goes down in his basement and sands his boat he seems to making all the time. He does it to think and ponder on life. Like Karate Kid, wash on, wash off.

Joyce
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,755 Member
    Options
    slept in to 4:45 this morning..
    im running around today,and im fighting a headache so I wont go to the gym this morning..
    when I talked to Taliah(DGD) last night she was very excited.. since she is going to a christian school she told me her teacher read a couple of pages from a book.
    she says grandma do you know what? Who made us, God made us, God made the world,she is quoting the bible.she said first there was darkness and then there was light, and that God Loves Us..
    how adorable...I am glad that she is getting a good education and a little bit of religion mixed in there..right now at this age she is a sponge.. she will soak it all in...
    the only thing that bothered me is that she called me a DoDo,i told her she was silly, she said thats what daddy calls you..
    the only thing I am thankful for is that he dials the phone for her to call me..
    going to take the dogs for a walk, take the car in for a oil change, and then go out with my friend Doris..
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Hope this day finds everyone happy and healthy! It`s a busy day for me:grumble: , along with another Dr. appt., I`m going in because my phlebitis is acting up...again:angry: ....just making sure it`s not a blood clot! I haven`t let it keep me from walking, I just walk through the pain, and then put a heating pad on it for a bit at night. It just annoys me, I don`t have time for the aches and pains anymore. I`m actually going to see if they can strip the vein or whatever it is they can do, the tiniest little bump on my leg sets it off:mad: . I feel like here lately I`ve been living on Advil, not a diet I want to keep up! Okay enough grumbling from me this morning!

Hope everyone has a great day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in foggy soggy NC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies,

Have been reading all the posts, just not felt up to much posting; my stomach is off.........getting me awake way early with upper g.i. pain since Tues. am. Also off and on during the day. Today up at 2:30am..........ulcer type symptoms. Don't know if it's tied in to the weekly Fosamax (Sundays); have skipped my evening ASA even though it's the coated kind. Now planning on sticking to an ulcer diet through the weekend and will call g.i. dr. if symptoms persist. Currently eating brown rice mixed with applesauce............yum (?)

Barbie.......great pic; how many are in your dance group?

JB.........Yay!!! on your dh's job

Heather ...........hope you are feeling better

Sandy.........how are the new shoes working out for you?

Rhonda.........happy belated b-day

wessecg...........your daughter will stay in my thoughts; she's carrying a heavy load. Sorry to hear of you giving up your horse. My dd and I were in a tack store yesterday afternoon and a woman was telling the owner (a friend of ours) that she was willing to give away a great horse because it is just too much for her to handle and she doesn't have the time to train him properly......so, you are not alone; even if her story is a bit different.

Know I've missed a lot; didn't take any notes. DD left to open the pool; going to try for some more zzzzzzz's

Best to all,
    yanniejannie
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello friends
    just popping in to say Thanks:heart:
    Have a g reat day everyone :drinker:
    Hugs to all
    Anamika
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning;
    Yanniejannie; DeeDee; Grandmaille; Joyce; Katla49; Kate in Brooklyn; Michele; Deb; Barbie; :flowerforyou:

Today is supposed to be sunny but I pray it is not as hot as yesterday...hope everyone has a sunny day also. I have an update on my sister....she had an awful fall Saturday night it knocked her out and they had to take her to the hospital to revive her...the side of her head is so black and blue.....they did some tests there and found out that the cancer has reached her brain :cry: :cry: ..
    Went in yesterday after finally getting our car,....that is still ongoing.:angry: ...she had some smiles for us but the fall took a lot out of her..I swear she aged 5 years... she dozed off and we set there with her a bit but she was trying to keep awake for us so we left...going in this morning.....I don't know how much longer I will have her :cry: :cry: ...but I want to be with her all I can :cry:
    Going to go and do a few things up before we go I am so behind on some things..but she comes first....Have a happy day my friends!

Liz fr Halifax NS
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Liz, praying for you and your sister. {{ }} Such a tough time.
    Gail, metro ATL
  • Katla49
    Options

I think 'scrubbing the whale' must be a little like what Gibbs on NCIS does when he goes down in his basement and sands his boat he seems to making all the time. He does it to think and ponder on life. Like Karate Kid, wash on, wash off.

Joyce

You have something here! Maybe it is a bit like the Karate kid. On the other hand, I was out in the sunshine, floating, and playing with water. All fun. I'm now sore all over, but it is the ache of hard work rather than pain.:bigsmile:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Liz, I am so sorry about your sister. thinking of you...
  • Katla49
    Options
    Liz:

Hugs to you. It takes a special kind of courage to stay in there day after day while a loved one is fighting a losing battle. If I had a sister, I'd like her to have your courage and devotion. I'm sure your sister is grateful for all of your love and support.:heart:

Katla