Do genetically engineered Christmas carols make you sick?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So a radio station around here that went 24/7 holiday music on Thanksgiving played a poppier version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah today and I'm calling BS. Just because a song includes a holy word does not make it holiday music, and no amount of bells added to the music makes that song a Christmas tune, dammit. :neutral: I may have to write a strongly worded email.

Just in general, conventionally-religious/pious takes on that song cause me some cognitive dissonance. I mean, Leonard Cohen?! Does anyone even read the lyrics from the less-often-covered verses: Yikes!

Even the routinely covered second verse is just odd if someone is trying to make it a religious song in that it conflates (or confuses) David and Samson. I like the song a lot, but this drives me batty because I'm the kind of person who listens to lyrics.

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
    You saw her bathing on the roof
    Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew ya

[Note: pretty sure this is Bathsheba (and David, who the first verse also refers to)]

She tied you to a kitchen chair
    She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
    And from your lips she drew the hallelujah

[Note: not Bathsheba (that story was that David got her husband Uriah killed in battle on purpose so he wouldn't find out about the affair). Clearly Samson and Delilah. Charitable interpretation, he's subtly changing who "you" is, but I really don't think so.]

Well, in all fairness - Leonard Cohen. I don't know if he's a Messianic Jew or not, but I don't think Christmas is a thing with the Jewish people. . .and I agree.

I am aware he was Jewish, and not everyone knows the Bible, of course, but King David and Samson -- Hebrew Scriptures. Hardly Christian specific (or about Christmas, as the song is not). He apparently grew up religiously Jewish too, so it's kind of weird.

I've always read the song as deeply expressive, well-crafted B.S. about sexual power and vanquishment, but that's doubtless influenced by my unfair perception of Cohen as a massively talented, intelligent, well-read, arrogant egotist. IMO, both stories (Bathsheba/David/Uriah and Samson/Delilah) would be on-point allusions in that context, the two being conflated because, after all, it's about Cohen. But not at all Christmas-y. ;)

Yeah, I know, I'm a cheap, dismissive cynic. Meh.

Yeah, that all seems right on.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    So a radio station around here that went 24/7 holiday music on Thanksgiving played a poppier version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah today and I'm calling BS. Just because a song includes a holy word does not make it holiday music, and no amount of bells added to the music makes that song a Christmas tune, dammit. :neutral: I may have to write a strongly worded email.

Just in general, conventionally-religious/pious takes on that song cause me some cognitive dissonance. I mean, Leonard Cohen?! Does anyone even read the lyrics from the less-often-covered verses: Yikes!

Even the routinely covered second verse is just odd if someone is trying to make it a religious song in that it conflates (or confuses) David and Samson. I like the song a lot, but this drives me batty because I'm the kind of person who listens to lyrics.

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
    You saw her bathing on the roof
    Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew ya

[Note: pretty sure this is Bathsheba (and David, who the first verse also refers to)]

She tied you to a kitchen chair
    She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
    And from your lips she drew the hallelujah

[Note: not Bathsheba (that story was that David got her husband Uriah killed in battle on purpose so he wouldn't find out about the affair). Clearly Samson and Delilah. Charitable interpretation, he's subtly changing who "you" is, but I really don't think so.]

Well, in all fairness - Leonard Cohen. I don't know if he's a Messianic Jew or not, but I don't think Christmas is a thing with the Jewish people. . .and I agree.

I am aware he was Jewish, and not everyone knows the Bible, of course, but King David and Samson -- Hebrew Scriptures. Hardly Christian specific (or about Christmas, as the song is not). He apparently grew up religiously Jewish too, so it's kind of weird.

I've always read the song as deeply expressive, well-crafted B.S. about sexual power and vanquishment, but that's doubtless influenced by my unfair perception of Cohen as a massively talented, intelligent, well-read, arrogant egotist. IMO, both stories (Bathsheba/David/Uriah and Samson/Delilah) would be on-point allusions in that context, the two being conflated because, after all, it's about Cohen. But not at all Christmas-y. ;)

Yeah, I know, I'm a cheap, dismissive cynic. Meh.

First time I ever heard that song was on a The West Wing and it was at a time of intense anger and grieving that Martin Sheen's character (who was Catholic) was going through. He was dealing with daddy issues and the death of his beloved personal secretary. I absolutely thought it was about power - sexual, occupational, and familial. It's a complicated song. Beautiful.

It's not Christmassy. It's just weird to play it on the Christian station at Christmas.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    we. . . . lll. i thought i knew where i stood. i had these two simple, rock-solid principles that were like the foundation of my entire existence at this time of year.

1. HATE the little drummer boy.
    2. LOVE shane mcgowan.

and then i find this and now the only thing i know for sure is my world has imploded and it's @NorthCascades' fault.

also, there was a woman in the lobby all day where i work, playing a harp. just sayin'. i really really really really hate harps; i don't care what they play. bah humbug.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    "And the Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom"

chimes can't clang. that's like saying the 'thundering harp of destiny' or 'the harpsicord of majesty'. ain't going to happen.

man, i really AM in a bad mood :D i did find you this, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-VkjaZ2Mms

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    So I just listened to the OP song. Interestingly, if you don't listen to the words, it doesn't sound like a Christmas song to me. The article mentions "lots of bells" but I don't think bells really stand out in the song. It's a nice enough, vanilla pop song. It wouldn't annoy me if I heard it on the radio as Christmas music nearly as much as some of the other "flash-in-the-pan pop artist tries to write a holiday tune" songs do. But I wouldn't be downloading it off i-tunes or anything. I would expect it to ultimately become the theme song of a Hallmark channel holiday movie starring a soap opera actor and a model who thinks she can act.

Confession time. I haven't heard it. The radio described how it was made and it sounds amusing, but completely soulless. All the music I enjoy started with a musician having a good musical idea, not an engineer figuring out how to get headlines.

Maybe I should listen to it as penance for staying this thread.

In that case, yes. Yes, you should. You should put it on repeat until your ears bleed. Of course, that may only take 1 listening, but still...
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Santa Baby is pretty aweful too.

Yeah, hate it. Although Do They Know It's Christmas is the worst (well-intentioned and perhaps did a lot of good, I'm talking specifically about the lyrics). Not only the fact that not everyone actually cares (in that not everyone is Christian), and they are hungry, not unaware of the calendar, this line cannot be forgiven, IMO:

Bob Geldorf has mentioned in interviews that he knows it's a terrible song, but the point of Band Aid was to raise money and the song itself was really secondary.

Anyway, I don't care for The 12 Days of Christmas, and I especially hate parody versions.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Santa Baby is pretty aweful too.

Yeah, hate it. Although Do They Know It's Christmas is the worst (well-intentioned and perhaps did a lot of good, I'm talking specifically about the lyrics). Not only the fact that not everyone actually cares (in that not everyone is Christian), and they are hungry, not unaware of the calendar, this line cannot be forgiven, IMO:

Bob Geldorf has mentioned in interviews that he knows it's a terrible song, but the point of Band Aid was to raise money and the song itself was really secondary.

Anyway, I don't care for The 12 Days of Christmas, and I especially hate parody versions.

Yeah, they play some weird version of 12 Days around here that sounds like cartoon characters talking through most of it, but it's awful. The real 12 Days is fun to sing with children, but kind of like listening to 99 Bottles of Beer on the radio.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I enjoy singing 12 Days as a memory test, but have no desire to hear it on the radio (99 bottles of beer is a good comparison!). Have not heard a parody version and prefer to keep it that way. (I never listen to the radio anymore, so probably miss out on much of this, as I get it only at stores.)
  • kimny72
    Options
    we. . . . lll. i thought i knew where i stood. i had these two simple, rock-solid principles that were like the foundation of my entire existence at this time of year.

1. HATE the little drummer boy.
    2. LOVE shane mcgowan.

and then i find this and now the only thing i know for sure is my world has imploded and it's @NorthCascades' fault.

also, there was a woman in the lobby all day where i work, playing a harp. just sayin'. i really really really really hate harps; i don't care what they play. bah humbug.

I love Little Drummer Boy sung with a proper choral arrangement by classical singers. The pop versions are largely horrible. Whitney Houston's wasn't bad but now it just makes me sad :(.
  • kimny72
    Options
    I enjoy singing 12 Days as a memory test, but have no desire to hear it on the radio (99 bottles of beer is a good comparison!). Have not heard a parody version and prefer to keep it that way. (I never listen to the radio anymore, so probably miss out on much of this, as I get it only at stores.)

I love how every year they tell you how much it would cost to buy someone all of those gifts, as if the retail cost of seven swans is a legit indicator of the economy. Personally I think the cost of 99 beers is more relevant and of greater importance to my holiday :lol:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Here's a cello version of Carol of the Bells. God, I love strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GtPX6c_kg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Embedding the OP song for those who didn't click the link.

https://youtu.be/96jOezZhlRQ

I thought it was much more tolerable and happy than all the superstitious sentimentality we're force-fed far too long every year.

But then I'm predisposed to love anything "genetically engineered" just because I love how it makes the woo woos heads explode.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    A zydeco version of “Jingle Bells”, performed by the late Rockin’ Dopsie and the Twisters is the best christmas song ever.

Second best is an instrumental version of “I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas” by Allen Toussaint.

There is no #3.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,739 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to drop this here (ducking and running)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-8FqlMA3CI
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    OK, if we're doing parodies:

Porky Pig's Blue Christmas
    https://youtu.be/pg7HvF3a_Iw

Rudolph the Redneck Reindeer
    https://youtu.be/HlOe2Vp7-CI?t=19s

I am Santa Claus
    https://youtu.be/Du-xTAmMKH0
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm always annoyed at all the covers of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" that change the words to make it "happier". The lyric is SUPPOSED to be "Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow", NOT "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough". Judy Garland version in "Meet Me in St. Louis" is the only one worth listening to.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    Christmas music trope:

Any slower Christmas song can be improved by adding a wistful rendering of the first line of jingle bells at the end.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    This one swings it pretty good:

https://youtu.be/M-b3iU-INDo