Gym etiquette

Options

Replies

• Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I lift heavy. I rest two minutes between sets. I use an app called "Strong" to track my workout and it comes with a rest timer. I usually just stare at my phone and that timer between sets - otherwise I might stare at someone in my vicinity. ;)

I'm not getting off the bench or machine until I'm done with all my sets. However, if you want to "work in" please ask, I have no problem with that... it's also a great time to ask me how many sets I have left. This is also, in my opinion, common gym etiquette. Not everybody just runs around hitting every machine or bench in random order doing quick single sets with light weights.

Hey as long as you are willing to share the bench/machine & you clean up after yourself I don’t see anything rude or inconsiderate about that.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Can we add old dudes hanging out nude in the locker room? Ok, it's not just old dudes, but they're the overwhelming majority. The other day, this dude is blow drying his hair for like 5 minutes in the buff...seriously? You can't do that with underwear on?

The generational divide on this issue amuses me to no end. (I don’t have a position either way). It’s like the guys who have the most appropriate bodies for walking around nude are not interested, and the old physical wrecks can’t wait to let it all hang out—and hang, and hang, and hang.

So many things I have seen that can’t be unseen. :s

Amen. I get it...we're showering and changing. But I swear, there will be like 5 dudes in their 70's talking football for 10 minutes just danglin'.
  • joemac1988
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I think when gym’s sign up new members they should give them a gym etiquette lesson along with the tour of the gym. Maybe post up signs too for old members to remind them of things like:

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

Don’t interrupt people when they are in the middle of a set

Wipe equipment don’t after use (nobody wants to lay in your sweat & dandruff)

If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

Don’t think it’s okay to use 3 machines at the same time when people are waiting to use them.

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.

I’m sure I’ll get criticized for this post. But it honestly seems like common sense & courtesy to me.

YES! And "No loud grunting or dropping weights!"

FFS it's right there on the wall. I hear dudes practically having anal aneurysms and then drop their weights and it annoys the *kitten* out of me.

Grunting: There are scientific studies that show if you grunt, you get a burst in strength. Google it.
    Dropping weights: To quietly lower a weight (the eccentric portion) that is at or near your 1 rep max on a movement like deadlift, you would be putting yourself at high risk of injury.

I agree, some people grunt and bang unnecessarily but a gym is not meant to have a spa-like atmosphere. If you want serenity when you workout, maybe yoga is up your alley? Or, throw on some headphones and drown em out!

Not entirely untrue, but for about 95% of lifters, it’s 5% science and 95% affectation. Like wearing weight belts.

Ahhhhh...the "unnecessary weight belt" crew. They're special.

You mean the “I’m curling 20s so I need to pure the 1.5” wide does nothing weight belt on” guys?

I love whipping out my Inzer when they’re around. I always feel like crocodile Dundee. “That’s not a belt, this is a belt”

Yeah, and the "I'm deadlifting more than my form can handle, better wear a belt" guys, or the "benching 225 for the first time, let's wrap up in this floppy walmart belt first" guys.

Inzer all the way but I rarely wear mine. My max deadlift is 520 and my form is fine and feels better strapless and beltless IMO... I'll throw it up near my squat max occasionally.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    I lift heavy. I rest two minutes between sets. I use an app called "Strong" to track my workout and it comes with a rest timer. I usually just stare at my phone and that timer between sets - otherwise I might stare at someone in my vicinity. ;)

I'm not getting off the bench or machine until I'm done with all my sets. However, if you want to "work in" please ask, I have no problem with that... it's also a great time to ask me how many sets I have left. This is also, in my opinion, common gym etiquette. Not everybody just runs around hitting every machine or bench in random order doing quick single sets with light weights.

Hey as long as you are willing to share the bench/machine & you clean up after yourself I don’t see anything rude or inconsiderate about that.

I do clean up - sometimes before. :)

What I've found surprising is that when it comes to people asking to "work in" it's usually women who have no problem asking. The guys just wander around giving me side-eye until I'm done. It's always made me wonder, as my wife says I look like I'm being tortured and in pain when I workout - perpetual scowl.

I do sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable when I'm resting and staring at my phone so I try to make the timer visible and obvious.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    There is this guy that makes the most disturbing noises while he showers, ie, grunting, moaning, violently blowing snot-rockets, blowing his nose, hoarking loogies, gagging, wheezing, etc. The few times that I have been in the locker area when there was another gym member we have looked at each other like "WTF is going on in there, should we call emergency services?" I get that taking a hot shower breaks things up, but seriously, it is a common area we all use, so maybe reserve the deep sinus-clearing for home? Also, for people who don't wear shower shoes in public showers, keep in mind that you are standing in some of that residue when you shower.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I have a favorite treadmill and I don't care who is next to it or if there are hundreds that are empty. I am so going on my favorite. And I will give a person the stink eye if they are on my treadmill!!! LOL!

What makes a treadmill a favorite? I’m not trying to be funny, I’m genuinely curious.

For some odd reason it is more level and feels better on my knees when i run. It could be me but I try other treadmills and certain ones I just don't like. That particular one feels great on my knees when i run.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    I have a favorite treadmill and I don't care who is next to it or if there are hundreds that are empty. I am so going on my favorite. And I will give a person the stink eye if they are on my treadmill!!! LOL!

What makes a treadmill a favorite? I’m not trying to be funny, I’m genuinely curious.

Sometimes it’s the “feel” of machine. My reason is more obscure. At my little gym, the cardio machines were purchased in stages. Two of cross trainers are side by side—they look and feel exactly alike—but one has a different software that calculates the calories more accurately. I’m a big data guy so I want my numbers to be consistent. So even though there might be 2 open machines across the room, and one person is on the CT next to the one I want, I use “my” cross trainer.

I can definitely understand that. At my gym it’s huge & there are literally rows of treadmills & other cardio machines. It’s a brand new gym & so no equipment is old or has wear & tear. They are all exactly the same at this point. So it does confuse me when I'm one person on a treadmill that has 15 other open machines in the row & someone has to get on the one right next to me. I’m just thinking “Really?!”.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options

I use the one closest to the Wifi node and wobbles the least. I hate the feeling of "she shook the treadmill loose". :/

Sometimes it’s the “feel” of machine. My reason is more obscure. At my little gym, the cardio machines were purchased in stages. Two of cross trainers are side by side—they look and feel exactly alike—but one has a different software that calculates the calories more accurately. I’m a big data guy so I want my numbers to be consistent. So even though there might be 2 open machines across the room, and one person is on the CT next to the one I want, I use “my” cross trainer.

I can definitely understand that too. But, at my gym it’s huge & there are literally rows of treadmills & other cardio machines. It’s a brand new gym & so no equipment is old or has wear & tear. They are all exactly the same at this point. So it does confuse me when I'm one person on a treadmill that has 15 other open machines in the row & someone has to get on the one right next to me. I’m just thinking “Really?!”.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My gym does post rules but it doesn't mean people think they apply to them personally.
  • joemac1988
    Options

I use the one closest to the Wifi node and wobbles the least. I hate the feeling of "she shook the treadmill loose". :/

I can definitely understand that too. But, at my gym it’s huge & there are literally rows of treadmills & other cardio machines. It’s a brand new gym & so no equipment is old or has wear & tear. They are all exactly the same at this point. So it does confuse me when I'm one person on a treadmill that has 15 other open machines in the row & someone has to get on the one right next to me. I’m just thinking “Really?!”.

Same thing happens to dudes in urinals...lol
  • joemac1988
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Can we add old dudes hanging out nude in the locker room? Ok, it's not just old dudes, but they're the overwhelming majority. The other day, this dude is blow drying his hair for like 5 minutes in the buff...seriously? You can't do that with underwear on?

Old dude law states you have to be naked for 98% of your time in the locker room. It's suggest you always have your leg propped up so your ancient bean bag can sway freely.

Dang. I didn't know that. What age does that kick in?

i think it's based on the length of the ba11sack, not time spent on earth.

Wow, didn't know they were measured by length! I though it was area. I'm learning all sorts!