Gym etiquette

Options

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    ekim2016 wrote: »
    guys not wearing the proper foundation undergarments and going commando... we DON"T want to see all that flopage in our faces!

https://youtu.be/CNcbhvVcHtU
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    guys not wearing the proper foundation undergarments and going commando... we DON"T want to see all that flopage in our faces!

https://youtu.be/CNcbhvVcHtU

Alright Alright Alright!!!! :D
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Jax2120 wrote: »

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.

These clowns..... I always just ask to work-in.

I might not even want to tackle that machine at that given time and sometimes it's just active rest.
    The point is to get them up and off of the gear.

There's also something to be said (and I might get flamed for this, so be it) that it's great when there is a certain energy in the gym and there is a lot of people training hard and just busting *kitten*. When some joker is lounging around and surfing on their smartphone, it does nothing for the gym's collective vibe.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    dym1 wrote: »
    Momepro wrote: »
    If you are doing 30 minute circuit there are two acceptable methods, 1 and go, use each machine, in time, and go to next machine when timer says. Or do 2-3 reps, but still using timer.
    Do NOT hog one machine for more than 3 sets , or use the leg machine to do sit ups, or ignore the timer. And if it is busy, ONLY 1 and go is acceptable.
    Basically, anytime you are preventing the others doing circuit from completing thier workout in 30 minutes, with every machine, you are being a jerk. ESPECIALLY when there are plenty of other similar machines in other areas!

Yikes, glad I don't go to this gym. It can take me an hour to do squats, but then I'm doing several sets with 2-3 minutes break in between sets.

That's fine, if you are doing them off to the side, and not blocking their machines from others. But circuit machines are meant to be done jn spurts of less than a minute, with a very short break between. And are generally set up in an area designated especially for circuit training.Most gyms that offer it, also offer the same machines for longer, more personalized workouts in other areas.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    If you are doing 30 minute circuit there are two acceptable methods, 1 and go, use each machine, in time, and go to next machine when timer says. Or do 2-3 reps, but still using timer.
    Do NOT hog one machine for more than 3 sets , or use the leg machine to do sit ups, or ignore the timer. And if it is busy, ONLY 1 and go is acceptable.
    Basically, anytime you are preventing the others doing circuit from completing thier workout in 30 minutes, with every machine, you are being a jerk. ESPECIALLY when there are plenty of other similar machines in other areas!

Also, it's cool if you need to skip a machine hwre and there, or you need to go back to a machine that you had to skip due to someone else using it . But NEVER go against the flow of traffic! If everyone else is going right to left, DO NOT go left to right! People will fIip the *kitten* out. I have seen actual fights break out over this.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

I can definitely understand that too. But, at my gym it’s huge & there are literally rows of treadmills & other cardio machines. It’s a brand new gym & so no equipment is old or has wear & tear. They are all exactly the same at this point. So it does confuse me when I'm one person on a treadmill that has 15 other open machines in the row & someone has to get on the one right next to me. I’m just thinking “Really?!”.

The herd must stick together in case a lion springs out of the supply closet.

they want to race you...
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Can we add old dudes hanging out nude in the locker room? Ok, it's not just old dudes, but they're the overwhelming majority. The other day, this dude is blow drying his hair for like 5 minutes in the buff...seriously? You can't do that with underwear on?

Old dude law states you have to be naked for 98% of your time in the locker room. It's suggest you always have your leg propped up so your ancient bean bag can sway freely.

Dang. I didn't know that. What age does that kick in?

i think it's based on the length of the ba11sack, not time spent on earth.

Wow, didn't know they were measured by length! I though it was area. I'm learning all sorts!

I can definitely understand that too. But, at my gym it’s huge & there are literally rows of treadmills & other cardio machines. It’s a brand new gym & so no equipment is old or has wear & tear. They are all exactly the same at this point. So it does confuse me when I'm one person on a treadmill that has 15 other open machines in the row & someone has to get on the one right next to me. I’m just thinking “Really?!”.

The herd must stick together in case a lion springs out of the supply closet.

your gym has 'supply closets'? damn, i've been slumming.

mine doesn't even have locker rooms, or showers....
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

Where should these guys grunt instead? Oh I know, perhaps when they at the library or church — maybe during a funeral — because a gym isn’t the place to exert yourself apparently.

It's one thing to make a noise while lifting weight. But if people can hear a person over the sounds being pumped out by their own earbuds way over in the cardio section, that's not exertion, it's a desperate cry for attention.

Well thank you for the arm chair psychology. I bet, in addition to this mind reading feat, you’re an amazingly qualified brain surgeon too.

If knowing the difference between "exerting myself" and "I'm about the charge the orcs" makes me a brain surgeon, then yep, get me a scalpel!
    I doubt you do know the difference. But hey, I’m not the one who goes to a gym and finds ways to be miserable. Not that I’m criticizing. We all need hobbies.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I was next to a guy on a leg press who was wearing 70s style track shorts. Not good.... not good at all.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Now imagining a gym where the mop is racked with weights and giant rolls of industrial toilet paper are being used as steps in the aerobics classroom.

aww, really i was just jealous when i thought you had supply closets with lions in them. it doesn't sound nearly as neat as i thought.

only thing that gets me is when some guy is benching and you can tell without even wanting to whether or not he's been circumcised. that's just way too much info for someone like me.

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    OK so I totally agree however as a guy I must say I try not to STARE, but and I know how comfortable those yoga pants must be. I try not to make it obvious, but your just gonna have to hit me over the head with that gladiator thing. I mean I'm a guy and if you got the booty I just cannot help myself. What am I suppose to do stare at the empty machine or the console. :p:p

Pretend that woman is your daughter.

Um there is no family resemblance I tell you.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Couple things stand out for me.

First I can take up to 10min of rest between heavy singles on deadlift. Most of the time it's only like 3 minutes but when I pull closer to 5 plates I need time to recover. I might be sitting on a box looking at the phone but in reality, I am coming down from a place that taxed the *kitten* out of my body getting to. Thing is most in my gym understand and if they see 4+ plates they just leave you alone.

Another is the no grunting thing. Hell in my gym people swear, grunt, and seethe at the bar all the time. Noone screams but from experience it happens. I know I grunt at 485 deadlifts and swear when I miss 495. I guess it depends on your gym. I don't go to anything like a Planet Fitness and don't expect you to go to a powerlifting gym if a bit of grunting or a dropped barbell during Oly lifts upsets you.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I’ve been at one point where I was waiting for a bench and a guy and his girlfriend were using up 2 benches to do identical workouts. At one point he placed his bottle on one bench and promptly left the room. After 10 minutes passed I walked up to his girlfriend and asked how many more sets the water bottle had. She stared unsure of what I just said. So I repeated myself followed by asking if the bottle minded if I worked in with it. Still shocked, she grabbed the bottle off the bench and put it under hers. After awhile he came back, saw me on the bench and immediately voiced his annoyance to his girlfriend that she allowed me to take his bench.

What’s with people and doing that? When it’s required my gf and I will share a squat wrack. However annoying it may be to constantly swap out weights, it’s just the courteous thing to do during rush hour
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »

First I can take up to 10min of rest between heavy singles on deadlift. Most of the time it's only like 3 minutes but when I pull closer to 5 plates I need time to recover. I might be sitting on a box looking at the phone but in reality, I am coming down from a place that taxed the *kitten* out of my body getting to. Thing is most in my gym understand and if they see 4+ plates they just leave you alone.

Another is the no grunting thing. Hell in my gym people swear, grunt, and seethe at the bar all the time. Noone screams but from experience it happens. I know I grunt at 485 deadlifts and swear when I miss 495. I guess it depends on your gym. I don't go to anything like a Planet Fitness and don't expect you to go to a powerlifting gym if a bit of grunting or a dropped barbell during Oly lifts upsets you.

Where is this place from heaven?

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »

Where is this place from heaven?

Marine Corps Air Station Futenma "Sweat Box", great place to lift and surprisingly respectful and friendly other members.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If I'm sitting on a machine using my phone you can be sure that I'm resting and also writing notes about my last set; areas of improvement, what felt good, what didn't, how heavy the weight felt etc. I won't be texting, on social media or trying to topple a govt.

I always allow people to jump in because it's the friendly thing to do and because when I'm resting, that's time that the machine isn't being used and quite clearly could be. I have rested for 5mins between sets before, when I've been lifting at my max. I'll offer to let people jump in if it seems to me that they are (clearly) waiting/hovering. If they say no, I'll explain that I'll be resting for X minutes anyway so it would probably be to their advantage to jump in. Some people still decline which is OK.

However, it would be useful if people met me half way and made their intentions clear. I'm not a mind reader. Im trying to concentrate on my form and what i need to do so I don't injure myself. Don't just silently rage inside because you don't have the courage to ask me if you can jump in or how long I'll be. That's not my fault. Also once I've explained the situation and given you a second chance to change your mind, don't say no and then silently rage and eventually explode. Or do, I'll just find it amusing.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    However, it would be useful if people met me half way and made their intentions clear. I'm not a mind reader. Im trying to concentrate on my form and what i need to do so I don't injure myself. Don't just silently rage inside because you don't have the courage to ask me if you can jump in or how long I'll be. That's not my fault. Also once I've explained the situation and given you a second chance to change your mind, don't say no and then silently rage and eventually explode. Or do, I'll just find it amusing.

If you're waiting for a machine, apparatus, or other equipment that's being used you have to ask, politely; "How much longer do you have?" or "Can I work in?" I've sometimes responded, just two more sets, but that guy over there asked before you.