Gym etiquette

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I think when gym’s sign up new members they should give them a gym etiquette lesson along with the tour of the gym. Maybe post up signs too for old members to remind them of things like:

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

Don’t interrupt people when they are in the middle of a set

Wipe equipment don’t after use (nobody wants to lay in your sweat & dandruff)

If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

Don’t think it’s okay to use 3 machines at the same time when people are waiting to use them.

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.

I’m sure I’ll get criticized for this post. But it honestly seems like common sense & courtesy to me.

YES! And "No loud grunting or dropping weights!"
    That’s awesome.

Where should these guys grunt instead? Oh I know, perhaps when they at the library or church — maybe during a funeral — because a gym isn’t the place to exert yourself apparently.

Lol! You know what bothers me? People that daintily lift light weights, barely breaking a sweat or even breathing hard and continue to look the same week after week, month after month, year after year.

It’s threads like these that reminds me why I either lift at home or at gyms without genpop.

SMH

(That gets me too.)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    If you believe the problem is a lack of knowledge, then your suggestion would work. However, if the problem is a lack of caring, it won't. I often will sit on the bench press bench, stand by the weights at the squat rack, keep my barbell at my feet during curls or barbell rows, between sets , but will yield to a "work in" request if made.

If someone has to ask, you've already been inconsiderate/unaware in my opinion. Kind of like being behind someone in the left lane, then since they're not moving over you pass them on the right and THEN they move over. Great; you realized you screwed up but only after I had to go around you.

So, somehow we are supposed to know when someone wants to "work in" on our ongoing use of an apparatus? Between sets, on the bench press, am I also to unload all the weights on the chance someone else wants to also use that bench, and reload when my recovery time is ending? I don't understand your objection, joemac.

Maybe I misunderstood. What I have an issue with is when someone is using dumbells and they take them off in the corner and they're doing 5 sets with a couple minutes rest in between. Great, you monopolized them for 15 minutes. What they SHOULD do, is bang out a set and re-rack them so they're available before their next set. If no one hoards, you will never be more than someone's single set (what, 45 seconds max?) away from being able to use them again.

Agreed, things like squat and bench you're going to tie up until you're done that movement. I've just never been asked to let someone work in because my weights are likely going to be different from yours. Usually when I've had to ask someone if I can "work in" it's when someone is texting while sitting on the chest fly, using a machine or bench strictly as a seat or place for their water bottle, or is hoarding a bunch of dumbells. And in those instances, me asking to "work in" is the polite version of "quit being a dick".

Glad that's cleared up. Sometimes, someone I've seen at the gym for a while, who is at about the same level as me, will ask to work in at the squat cage or bench press. Usually happens at the assisted pull up/dip machine. That machine is easy to change. Often the "worker inner" is a body weight and I'm still using the assistance. I, most always, will re-rack my dumbbells after a set. My gym has several in the weights I employ. I never tie up more than one set of dumbbells at a time.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

I can definitely understand that too. But, at my gym it’s huge & there are literally rows of treadmills & other cardio machines. It’s a brand new gym & so no equipment is old or has wear & tear. They are all exactly the same at this point. So it does confuse me when I'm one person on a treadmill that has 15 other open machines in the row & someone has to get on the one right next to me. I’m just thinking “Really?!”.

The herd must stick together in case a lion springs out of the supply closet.

ROTFLMAO probably
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think when gym’s sign up new members they should give them a gym etiquette lesson along with the tour of the gym. Maybe post up signs too for old members to remind them of things like:

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

Don’t interrupt people when they are in the middle of a set

Wipe equipment don’t after use (nobody wants to lay in your sweat & dandruff)

If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

Don’t think it’s okay to use 3 machines at the same time when people are waiting to use them.

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.

I’m sure I’ll get criticized for this post. But it honestly seems like common sense & courtesy to me.

YES! And "No loud grunting or dropping weights!"

FFS it's right there on the wall. I hear dudes practically having anal aneurysms and then drop their weights and it annoys the *kitten* out of me.

Grunting: There are scientific studies that show if you grunt, you get a burst in strength. Google it.
    Dropping weights: To quietly lower a weight (the eccentric portion) that is at or near your 1 rep max on a movement like deadlift, you would be putting yourself at high risk of injury.

I agree, some people grunt and bang unnecessarily but a gym is not meant to have a spa-like atmosphere. If you want serenity when you workout, maybe yoga is up your alley? Or, throw on some headphones and drown em out!

I tend to do what I call my "primal scream" when I need to get a heavy lift, but there's another guy at my gym that grunts while just lifting the bar (45lbs) for his warm ups. Fortunately, I belong to a lifting gym (no cardio equipment except for an old recumbent bike) so no one complains about my screaming.

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I have a favorite treadmill and I don't care who is next to it or if there are hundreds that are empty. I am so going on my favorite. And I will give a person the stink eye if they are on my treadmill!!! LOL!

What makes a treadmill a favorite? I’m not trying to be funny, I’m genuinely curious.

The one with the best view of the abductor/adductor machine obviously!
    Oops - that's a staring misdemeanour isn't it?

I call them the "Hello Kitty" machine.
  • joemac1988
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    If you believe the problem is a lack of knowledge, then your suggestion would work. However, if the problem is a lack of caring, it won't. I often will sit on the bench press bench, stand by the weights at the squat rack, keep my barbell at my feet during curls or barbell rows, between sets , but will yield to a "work in" request if made.

If someone has to ask, you've already been inconsiderate/unaware in my opinion. Kind of like being behind someone in the left lane, then since they're not moving over you pass them on the right and THEN they move over. Great; you realized you screwed up but only after I had to go around you.

So, somehow we are supposed to know when someone wants to "work in" on our ongoing use of an apparatus? Between sets, on the bench press, am I also to unload all the weights on the chance someone else wants to also use that bench, and reload when my recovery time is ending? I don't understand your objection, joemac.

Maybe I misunderstood. What I have an issue with is when someone is using dumbells and they take them off in the corner and they're doing 5 sets with a couple minutes rest in between. Great, you monopolized them for 15 minutes. What they SHOULD do, is bang out a set and re-rack them so they're available before their next set. If no one hoards, you will never be more than someone's single set (what, 45 seconds max?) away from being able to use them again.

Agreed, things like squat and bench you're going to tie up until you're done that movement. I've just never been asked to let someone work in because my weights are likely going to be different from yours. Usually when I've had to ask someone if I can "work in" it's when someone is texting while sitting on the chest fly, using a machine or bench strictly as a seat or place for their water bottle, or is hoarding a bunch of dumbells. And in those instances, me asking to "work in" is the polite version of "quit being a dick".

Wat? I'm not dragging a pair of 100+ lb dumbbells from where I'm doing something like flat bench rows back over to the rack between every set. Damn things are heavy and dragging them back and forth 4 or five times isn't part of that workout. ;)

Haha, love it! I was talking about lighter ones but I never use the same weight twice as I'm either going up or down.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    This is why I’ll happily keep training at my gym where one of the running jokes is that one of the competition racks is reserved for me.

Grunting doesn’t bother me. 100kg+ being dropped doesn’t bother me. The hockey guys coming in after practise still stinky don’t bother me. Give me my bench and plates and I’m a happy camper.
  • joemac1988
    Options
    This is why I’ll happily keep training at my gym where one of the running jokes is that one of the competition racks is reserved for me.

Grunting doesn’t bother me. 100kg+ being dropped doesn’t bother me. The hockey guys coming in after practise still stinky don’t bother me. Give me my bench and plates and I’m a happy camper.

I'm kinda crushing right now, can't lie.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I have a favorite treadmill and I don't care who is next to it or if there are hundreds that are empty. I am so going on my favorite. And I will give a person the stink eye if they are on my treadmill!!! LOL!

What makes a treadmill a favorite? I’m not trying to be funny, I’m genuinely curious.

For me it is the one with near the TV tuned to HGTV :).
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Can we add old dudes hanging out nude in the locker room? Ok, it's not just old dudes, but they're the overwhelming majority. The other day, this dude is blow drying his hair for like 5 minutes in the buff...seriously? You can't do that with underwear on?

Old dude law states you have to be naked for 98% of your time in the locker room. It's suggest you always have your leg propped up so your ancient bean bag can sway freely.

Dang. I didn't know that. What age does that kick in?

i think it's based on the length of the ba11sack, not time spent on earth.

Wow, didn't know they were measured by length! I though it was area. I'm learning all sorts!

I can definitely understand that too. But, at my gym it’s huge & there are literally rows of treadmills & other cardio machines. It’s a brand new gym & so no equipment is old or has wear & tear. They are all exactly the same at this point. So it does confuse me when I'm one person on a treadmill that has 15 other open machines in the row & someone has to get on the one right next to me. I’m just thinking “Really?!”.

your gym has 'supply closets'? damn, i've been slumming.

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If you are doing 30 minute circuit there are two acceptable methods, 1 and go, use each machine, in time, and go to next machine when timer says. Or do 2-3 reps, but still using timer.
    Do NOT hog one machine for more than 3 sets , or use the leg machine to do sit ups, or ignore the timer. And if it is busy, ONLY 1 and go is acceptable.
    Basically, anytime you are preventing the others doing circuit from completing thier workout in 30 minutes, with every machine, you are being a jerk. ESPECIALLY when there are plenty of other similar machines in other areas!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    There are a few members who literally wear the same exact outfit to the gym every single day like it’s their uniform. Hey whatever you are comfortable wearing, I don’t treat the gym like a fashion show either. But I do secretly wonder if they wash it between visits.

For the guys I'm talking about it's not just the same outfit, they smell really bad, and you can smell them 10-15 feet away when they're using a treadmill or step machine. I look for them and will not take a machine near them. I think they take pride in smelling like pigs, or only own a single outfit. If they can afford a gym membership, they can afford a couple of extra sets of workout clothing.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    heytimsla wrote: »
    Can we add old dudes hanging out nude in the locker room? Ok, it's not just old dudes, but they're the overwhelming majority. The other day, this dude is blow drying his hair for like 5 minutes in the buff...seriously? You can't do that with underwear on?

Old dude law states you have to be naked for 98% of your time in the locker room. It's suggest you always have your leg propped up so your ancient bean bag can sway freely.

Dang. I didn't know that. What age does that kick in?

i think it's based on the length of the ba11sack, not time spent on earth.

Wow, didn't know they were measured by length! I though it was area. I'm learning all sorts!

your gym has 'supply closets'? damn, i've been slumming.

Now imagining a gym where the mop is racked with weights and giant rolls of industrial toilet paper are being used as steps in the aerobics classroom.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    If you are doing 30 minute circuit there are two acceptable methods, 1 and go, use each machine, in time, and go to next machine when timer says. Or do 2-3 reps, but still using timer.
    Do NOT hog one machine for more than 3 sets , or use the leg machine to do sit ups, or ignore the timer. And if it is busy, ONLY 1 and go is acceptable.
    Basically, anytime you are preventing the others doing circuit from completing thier workout in 30 minutes, with every machine, you are being a jerk. ESPECIALLY when there are plenty of other similar machines in other areas!

Yikes, glad I don't go to this gym. It can take me an hour to do squats, but then I'm doing several sets with 2-3 minutes break in between sets.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    guys not wearing the proper foundation undergarments and going commando... we DON"T want to see all that flopage in our faces!