What’s on your mind

Replies

• iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    iMago wrote: »
    Thinking about small talk and how people say they lack the skill of small talk. I wonder if it's that perhaps sometimes they just don't care to engage with others that much?

Small talk might seem unnecessary but it's a building block of forming rapport with someone. So if you don't care to form that rapport then you'd be annoyed by small talking with them. I get that.

I guess since I am a social person, this seems foreign to me, not knowing how to small talk, or not wanting to.
    I always feel in a better mood when I've had a lovely exchange with someone on the elevator or at the store, etc.
    Don't misread me, some have been absolutely awkward, but at least I tried. Not everyone welcomes it.

It also just occurred to me that maybe I don't mind small talk because it changes people's assumptions about me. If they were to not talk to me, they might assume I'm *insert adjective here* when I'm not. This has happened a lot as evidenced by people who have told me their initial thoughts about me once we got to know each other.

Sometimes I think too much.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettnelson/2012/03/30/six-reasons-small-talk-is-very-important-and-how-to-get-better-at-it/#b784c6464760

What a helpful article. For those of us who struggle this is some sage advice.

"Now that you’re convinced small talk is worth the effort, here’s how to get better at it. Ready? Practice. Try stuff out, see what works. That’s it. As for technique, remember the basics: make eye contact, drop a compliment (if you mean it), share a common experience (while keeping the focus on the other person), and don’t be too self-conscious."

Thanks a lot for nothing. If I knew what to practice I would already be practicing.

In other news if you want to get stronger and don't have experience just stroll into the gym and start picking stuff up.

Well, alrighty then. :|
    Maybe this is more sage-y?
    https://www.businessinsider.com/get-better-at-small-talk-2016-10

That one is better. Reading it though just makes me realize how much I enjoy being an introvert. On top of that, I feel like there are so many topics that are off limits to strangers. For example, the article suggests "do you have kids?" yet I have a group of friends on facebook who are constantly posting how inconsiderate to people who may have gone through a miscarriage that question can be. Small talk with strangers is just a mine field waiting to go bad.

Well I guess you can't please (unoffend) all people all the time.

If you see me in an elevator and I happen to try to strike up a short conversation about the weather, or compliment you on your cool tshirt, and you look at me like I have five heads, I'll know it's you not me.

I will say, I hate small talk and I'm not only not good at it - I don't want to be better at it, BUT if you were to bring up my cool t-shirt I could chat your ear off. A lot of times I'm disappointed when no one brings up my shirt :/

The weather on the other hand might get a half-hearted smirk.

cool shirt

THANK you! It says "I'd rather be swimming at Kraken Mare - Lunar Park" because that's the biggest sea on Saturn's largest moon, Titan. 400,000 square km! That's bigger than the Caspian sea. But it's mostly made of methane so that makes it pretty funny. That'd smell terrible. Plus the cool picture of Saturn on it.
    cee134 wrote: »
    Thinking about small talk and how people say they lack the skill of small talk. I wonder if it's that perhaps sometimes they just don't care to engage with others that much?

Small talk might seem unnecessary but it's a building block of forming rapport with someone. So if you don't care to form that rapport then you'd be annoyed by small talking with them. I get that.

I guess since I am a social person, this seems foreign to me, not knowing how to small talk, or not wanting to.
    I always feel in a better mood when I've had a lovely exchange with someone on the elevator or at the store, etc.
    Don't misread me, some have been absolutely awkward, but at least I tried. Not everyone welcomes it.

It also just occurred to me that maybe I don't mind small talk because it changes people's assumptions about me. If they were to not talk to me, they might assume I'm *insert adjective here* when I'm not. This has happened a lot as evidenced by people who have told me their initial thoughts about me once we got to know each other.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettnelson/2012/03/30/six-reasons-small-talk-is-very-important-and-how-to-get-better-at-it/#b784c6464760

"Now that you’re convinced small talk is worth the effort, here’s how to get better at it. Ready? Practice. Try stuff out, see what works. That’s it. As for technique, remember the basics: make eye contact, drop a compliment (if you mean it), share a common experience (while keeping the focus on the other person), and don’t be too self-conscious."

Thanks a lot for nothing. If I knew what to practice I would already be practicing.

In other news if you want to get stronger and don't have experience just stroll into the gym and start picking stuff up.

That one is better. Reading it though just makes me realize how much I enjoy being an introvert. On top of that, I feel like there are so many topics that are off limits to strangers. For example, the article suggests "do you have kids?" yet I have a group of friends on facebook who are constantly posting how inconsiderate to people who may have gone through a miscarriage that question can be. Small talk with strangers is just a mine field waiting to go bad.

If you see me in an elevator and I happen to try to strike up a short conversation about the weather, or compliment you on your cool tshirt, and you look at me like I have five heads, I'll know it's you not me.

I will say, I hate small talk and I'm not only not good at it - I don't want to be better at it, BUT if you were to bring up my cool t-shirt I could chat your ear off. A lot of times I'm disappointed when no one brings up my shirt :/

That shirt looks to cool for this weather we are having right now. Why didn't you wear something warmer?

Not as cold as Titan though amirite? Ha! Like -180C

is Titan or Europa colder?

Off the top of my head not sure but if I had to guess I'd say Titan is colder since it's Saturn's moon which is farther away than Europa, Jupiter's moon.

this is the most uninformative Ted talk ever tbh
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member

cool shirt

THANK you! It says "I'd rather be swimming at Kraken Mare - Lunar Park" because that's the biggest sea on Saturn's largest moon, Titan. 400,000 square km! That's bigger than the Caspian sea. But it's mostly made of methane so that makes it pretty funny. That'd smell terrible. Plus the cool picture of Saturn on it.

That shirt looks to cool for this weather we are having right now. Why didn't you wear something warmer?

Off the top of my head not sure but if I had to guess I'd say Titan is colder since it's Saturn's moon which is farther away from the sun than Europa, Jupiter's moon.

Europa would be the answer

The surface temperature is a chilly -260 deg F (-162.222 C)
  • iMago
    Quick google search says Europa's surface temp is -160C BUT the poles can be like -220C so yikes who knows

but which one harbors life
  • cee134

cool shirt

Off the top of my head not sure but if I had to guess I'd say Titan is colder since it's Saturn's moon which is farther away from the sun than Europa, Jupiter's moon.

-162 is warmer than -180

Who even talks in Celsius?
  • iMago

cool shirt

Off the top of my head not sure but if I had to guess I'd say Titan is colder since it's Saturn's moon which is farther away than Europa, Jupiter's moon.

Hey man, I just wanted to talk about my shirt

funny enough i just figured it was like a Rick and morty shirt or something
  • cee134

cool shirt

-162 is warmer than -180

Who even talks in Celsius?

Everyone else :laugh:

Define everyone else.
  • cee134
    Quick google search says Europa's surface temp is -160C BUT the poles can be like -220C so yikes who knows

If Europa is so cold, how do all those people survive? Those poor Greeks and Italians and whatever other countries are over there.

Galileo just wasn't very creative I guess

Isn't Galileo a type of Italian ice cream?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    I can only access the forum and my inbox, nothing else seems to work for me on here today.
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member

If Europa is so cold, how do all those people survive? Those poor Greeks and Italians and whatever other countries are over there.

Yes and it's so delicious. You haven't had it until you've had it on a brooch bun though.

;)
  • iMago

cool shirt

Hey man, I just wanted to talk about my shirt

funny enough i just figured it was like a Rick and morty shirt or something

:laugh: That'd be awesome but it's an actual place lol
    Not the the park, but the lake.

Bret Easton Ellis wrote a book called Lunar Park years ago and it was like my favorite thing in the world for a long time i wish your shirt was about that tbh sorry just statin the facts
  • cee134

Yes and it's so delicious. You haven't had it until you've had it on a brooch bun though.

;)

That sounds yummy. Bone apple teeth