Snap Judgments

Options

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    It's really funny when an older man shows up and insists on holding it open for me to pass because in his mind, it must not be acceptable to have a "young" lady standing there holding the door for people. Midwest mentality.

That's good stuff but it's generational and it will be gone within 20 years. Love the over-age-50 Midwesterners for this though!

I'm used to seeing able bodied young and middle aged men sitting comfortably and sexting on the bus while a woman 9 months pregnant stands with her knees buckling and visible beads of sweat on her forehead. Or when the guy with crutches got on the bus and everyone just sat there and made him stand the whole way. Okay I better stop walking down memory lane now. It's making me more misanthropic than I already am.

But it’s not his fault she got pregnant. Equals rights and all.

Common courtesy, though. It's just something nice you do to show other people you aren't an *kitten*. It's not any different than my giving up a seat for an old man who has issues standing for long periods of time or a physically disabled person.

It's just something nice you do in polite society, regardless of equal rights.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    I can confirm opening doors for people is not just a midwestern trait. It was taught in the South, though its less and less these days.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I assume every female profile on MFP is a man, or t-girl working as trap.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Actually if a door opens in you are supposed to walk first push it open and hold it from the inside for a lady, and if it opens outward you are supposed to stand outside with it open for her to enter. This avoids the arm bridge.
  • NewlifeinNW
    NewlifeinNW Posts: 3,866 Member
    Options
    bojack3 wrote: »
    Actually if a door opens in you are supposed to walk first push it open and hold it from the inside for a lady, and if it opens outward you are supposed to stand outside with it open for her to enter. This avoids the arm bridge.

I did this once, went around a guy on crutches, through a door to hold it open for him. My date gave me the stink eye and said "you just couldn't wait to get around that guy could you" I was dumbfounded. We didn't date long.
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    bojack3 wrote: »

This is true, but more often than not, I was already holding the door open and the man (in this instance) comes and puts his arm over my head to avoid touching (or disrespecting me) and holds the door open until I vacate. Then he'll usually move his arm to a more comfortable position to continue holding the door or follow inside (assuming he's going the same way).

The arm bridge just amuses me. :D
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    It's really funny when an older man shows up and insists on holding it open for me to pass because in his mind, it must not be acceptable to have a "young" lady standing there holding the door for people. Midwest mentality.

That's good stuff but it's generational and it will be gone within 20 years. Love the over-age-50 Midwesterners for this though!

I'm used to seeing able bodied young and middle aged men sitting comfortably and sexting on the bus while a woman 9 months pregnant stands with her knees buckling and visible beads of sweat on her forehead. Or when the guy with crutches got on the bus and everyone just sat there and made him stand the whole way. Okay I better stop walking down memory lane now. It's making me more misanthropic than I already am.

Common courtesy, though. It's just something nice you do to show other people you aren't an *kitten*. It's not any different than my giving up a seat for an old man who has issues standing for long periods of time or a physically disabled person.

It's just something nice you do in polite society, regardless of equal rights.

That's one way of looking at it. I find the mechanics of the natural selection theory comforting in this instance though. The likelihood of men like this replicating themselves is significantly lower.

But what if the guy sexting has a ailment that you can’t see that causes him pain if he stands for too long? Or anything else that could be harmful to him?

Then I assume he is not the able bodied man she was referring to who was sexting on public transit. :D
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    When I see toothless wrinkly people I assume they do or have done crack.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    If you smoke and then constantly apply perfume to cover up the stink, I assume you do not realize that you're only pouring gasoline on the fire.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I assume that hipsters and people who are quick to jump on every new fad can be easily manipulated into buying/believing anything if the message is packaged right.
  • WorkerDrone83
    Options
    I assume that hipsters and people who are quick to jump on every new fad can be easily manipulated into buying/believing anything if the message is packaged right.

So...what scam did you fall for?

Definitely the avocado toast
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Nah, using the MFP fitness app for fitness.
    Like all of us.
  • WorkerDrone83
    Options

That's not a scam, you were enlightened

It tastes exactly like what I thought it would: avocado and toast
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Nah, using the MFP fitness app for fitness.
    Like all of us.

For fitness... yes... o:)