pinuplove wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Whelp, I've been using the woo button as praise. Sorry to all the folks I've unintentionally ticked off. No more buttons for me!

You can use Like, Insightful, Inspiring, and Hug. :)

I wish they would change Woo to "Disagree" -- something clearer and not so insulting.

That would be my preference, but if they don't want to do that, than just get rid of it. As was demonstrated on this thread, there is a lot of confusion about the meaning of "Woo".

If they got rid of Woo I'd figure out how to passive-aggressively use "hug" as the new woo. "Bless your heart" like how the little old ladies in the southern US use it.

I've also been know to use "inspiring" when a post in particularly funny and I don't feel like "like" is enough. Or "insightful" for a wonderfully sarcastic post or one that's giving major side-eye. Good stuff.
    :flowerforyou: is the ultimate in MFP passive aggressiveness.

Hey, don't ruin :flowerforyou: entirely! It can be nice, too. Context is everything.

And I like woo, even ambiguous woo, having been around when there was no negative reaction available at all.

Trust me, you do not want to be hearing in actual words from the people who woo innocuous posts, or follow others around just to woo to see their posts. These are not smart, funny, or insightful people. More stupid fight threads frightening new people, then getting censored or closed, is a worse problem that a few ambiguous or unwelcome woos.

Let the passive aggressives woo to their hearts' content. We're all better off that way.

Oh gosh. The days of a relatively innocuous first post followed by a page of "that's stupid" and then 19 pages of cat gifs and "in b4 the roll."

Man, I (sort of) miss that! Although after reading @kimny72 thoughtful reply, this is probably better.

Any context really is everything. If you get a :flowerforyou: from, say, a snarky ill-tempered looking cat, it probably means something different from the :flowerforyou: you get from everyone's favorite granny (although she's way cooler than anyone's granny!)

Don't make too many assumptions. Context really is everything. Context. Context. ;)

(And thanks for the nice comment, which I'm taking the liberty of taking personally. :) ).

See, I thought she meant the "other" granny on here.

And my mind is pulling a complete blank as to her username for some reason.

They say these slips of memory are more common in the elderly :flowerforyou:

But you know who I mean, don't you? C'mon. Help an old guy out. It's gonna bug me.

*kitten*

@middlehaitch That's who I'm thinking of and who I thought you meant for some reason.

No offense @AnnPT77, it's just who first came to mind with @pinuplove 's comment

Her too :smile: I want to be like both of them when I grow up.

Yeah, like you'll ever "grow up"....
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Whelp, I've been using the woo button as praise. Sorry to all the folks I've unintentionally ticked off. No more buttons for me!

I wish they would change Woo to "Disagree" -- something clearer and not so insulting.

That would be my preference, but if they don't want to do that, than just get rid of it. As was demonstrated on this thread, there is a lot of confusion about the meaning of "Woo".

If they got rid of Woo I'd figure out how to passive-aggressively use "hug" as the new woo. "Bless your heart" like how the little old ladies in the southern US use it.

I've also been know to use "inspiring" when a post in particularly funny and I don't feel like "like" is enough. Or "insightful" for a wonderfully sarcastic post or one that's giving major side-eye. Good stuff.

Hey, don't ruin :flowerforyou: entirely! It can be nice, too. Context is everything.

And I like woo, even ambiguous woo, having been around when there was no negative reaction available at all.

Trust me, you do not want to be hearing in actual words from the people who woo innocuous posts, or follow others around just to woo to see their posts. These are not smart, funny, or insightful people. More stupid fight threads frightening new people, then getting censored or closed, is a worse problem that a few ambiguous or unwelcome woos.

Let the passive aggressives woo to their hearts' content. We're all better off that way.

Oh gosh. The days of a relatively innocuous first post followed by a page of "that's stupid" and then 19 pages of cat gifs and "in b4 the roll."

Man, I (sort of) miss that! Although after reading @kimny72 thoughtful reply, this is probably better.

Any context really is everything. If you get a :flowerforyou: from, say, a snarky ill-tempered looking cat, it probably means something different from the :flowerforyou: you get from everyone's favorite granny (although she's way cooler than anyone's granny!)

Don't make too many assumptions. Context really is everything. Context. Context. ;)

(And thanks for the nice comment, which I'm taking the liberty of taking personally. :) ).

But you know who I mean, don't you? C'mon. Help an old guy out. It's gonna bug me.

*kitten*

@middlehaitch That's who I'm thinking of and who I thought you meant for some reason.

No offense @AnnPT77, it's just who first came to mind with @pinuplove 's comment

It is kind of weird see you post this much without your buddy @quiksylver296 showing up.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

*kitten*

eeew. grow up?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

I think there would be lot a people who would be surprised and disappointed to see the usernames attached to the woos of innocuous posts or who follow others around to woo their posts.

The purpose of the woo button was to reduce the ensuing trainwreck of 50 people coming to attack and mock some ridiculous claim, like "drinking a tbsp of ACV at precisely 10:43 pm while covered in dryer lint will cause weight loss and cure cancer."

A lot of users come here having heard ridiculous diet myths on social media, and it was meant as a non-aggressive response to someone promoting those myths so that others who were able to respond civilly and politely could provide helpful information. That way the information wouldn't get lost in bunch of "hurr durr derp woo" responses from people who are unable to respond in a non-snarky way to people who are trying to learn.

It's unfortunate that the response has been abused to the point that it is effectively meaningless.

I have to guess that putting up with a bunch of woo-whining is easier for the very patient and helpful moderator crew than putting out dumpster fires constantly . . . much as I love a good dumpster fire.

And since (Ann ducks) I know I'm not supposed to comment about moderation, I'll add that I do woo posts from time to time, when that seems like a rational reaction, and especially when others have already made the substantive argument. I appreciate having that option. A post having a boatload of woos and a couple of sound counter-argument replies is a picture that tells a story (once people grasp what woo means). I don't think it's meaningless.

I don't woo-stalk, though, or woo just because a particular person (with a particular reputation IMO only) said something I disagree with. I probably judge some people's posts more harshly because of past interactions, but truly try not to do that.

I do think it's funny (funny ha-ha) that the MFP culture likes to woo posts that mention woo. I might sometimes have done that . . . !

edited: typo

I agree that in that instance, it would tell a story. However since the button is misused all over the forums as "I don't like this person" or "I don't like that the person said something positive about their experience using (certain exercise, certain woe) to help them reach their goals," people who are new to the forums aren't getting the meaning that people who have been here awhile are trying to steer them away from something that might be "too good to be true."

You can't share information with someone who might be helped by it if you immediately drive them away. I know some people are perplexed that other users choose groups over the main forums, because groups don't always have a lot of opposing viewpoints to discuss. But when every topic on that subject gets a bunch of woos just because some people don't like it, even completely innocuous posts where the person just mentions the tools they use in weight loss, it's really not all that surprising that people don't want to stick around and engage with people who behave that way.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I think there would be lot a people who would be surprised and disappointed to see the usernames attached to the woos of innocuous posts or who follow others around to woo their posts.

The purpose of the woo button was to reduce the ensuing trainwreck of 50 people coming to attack and mock some ridiculous claim, like "drinking a tbsp of ACV at precisely 10:43 pm while covered in dryer lint will cause weight loss and cure cancer."

A lot of users come here having heard ridiculous diet myths on social media, and it was meant as a non-aggressive response to someone promoting those myths so that others who were able to respond civilly and politely could provide helpful information. That way the information wouldn't get lost in bunch of "hurr durr derp woo" responses from people who are unable to respond in a non-snarky way to people who are trying to learn.

It's unfortunate that the response has been abused to the point that it is effectively meaningless.

I have to guess that putting up with a bunch of woo-whining is easier for the very patient and helpful moderator crew than putting out dumpster fires constantly . . . much as I love a good dumpster fire.

And since (Ann ducks) I know I'm not supposed to comment about moderation, I'll add that I do woo posts from time to time, when that seems like a rational reaction, and especially when others have already made the substantive argument. I appreciate having that option. A post having a boatload of woos and a couple of sound counter-argument replies is a picture that tells a story (once people grasp what woo means). I don't think it's meaningless.

I don't woo-stalk, though, or woo just because a particular person (with a particular reputation IMO only) said something I disagree with. I probably judge some people's posts more harshly because of past interactions, but truly try not to do that.

I do think it's funny (funny ha-ha) that the MFP culture likes to woo posts that mention woo. I might sometimes have done that . . . !

edited: typo

I agree that in that instance, it would tell a story. However since the button is misused all over the forums as "I don't like this person" or "I don't like that the person said something positive about their experience using (certain exercise, certain woe) to help them reach their goals," people who are new to the forums aren't getting the meaning that people who have been here awhile are trying to steer them away from something that might be "too good to be true."

You can't share information with someone who might be helped by it if you immediately drive them away. I know some people are perplexed that other users choose groups over the main forums, because groups don't always have a lot of opposing viewpoints to discuss. But when every topic on that subject gets a bunch of woos just because some people don't like it, even completely innocuous posts where the person just mentions the tools they use in weight loss, it's really not all that surprising that people don't want to stick around and engage with people who behave that way.

I agree with everything you've said in this and your last post, but could we at least have it changed to something more clear, like "Disagree"?

In every thread or long discussion about Woo, some people post that they didn't realize they were using it incorrectly, and often feel bad.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    Now I'm wondering if woo-stalkers are ever an actual thing, or just imagination by those of us (sometimes me) who feel like a lot of random innocuous posts have been woo-ed in a short time period.

I almost never try to guess who woo-ed my posts, although sometimes it's tempting to assume. Can't say I care, either.
  • NovusDies
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Now I'm wondering if woo-stalkers are ever an actual thing, or just imagination by those of us (sometimes me) who feel like a lot of random innocuous posts have been woo-ed in a short time period.

I almost never try to guess who woo-ed my posts, although sometimes it's tempting to assume. Can't say I care, either.

I have had it happen in other places than just here and one person was quite vocal about down-voting my posts. He wasn't happy when I was laughing over it and talking about setting up camp in his brain for some reason. Go figure.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I have had it happen in other places than here and one person was quite vocal about down-voting my posts. He wasn't happy when I was laughing over it and talking about setting up camp in his brain for some reason. Go figure.

Ah yeah, I'm guessing projection. He probably gets really mad when people woo his posts, so he thinks it'll make you mad, and then gets mad when it doesn't.
  • NovusDies
    Options

I have had it happen in other places than here and one person was quite vocal about down-voting my posts. He wasn't happy when I was laughing over it and talking about setting up camp in his brain for some reason. Go figure.

Ah yeah, I'm guessing projection. He probably gets really mad when people woo his posts, so he thinks it'll make you mad, and then gets mad when it doesn't.

He definitely took himself, posting, and post voting very seriously (it was a sports related message board).
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Guys I'm almost at 100. Help a woman out here. This is the perfect thread for it.

You are lucky I like you. With a woo score that low I should really put you on ignore.

Despite my sass level, I'm remarkably conflict avoidant, and thusly the woos remain low. I need more to increase my street cred.

Most of my woos seem to come from bumping old guide threads and posting about the middle ground in keto threads. You just have to find your woo niche and you'll rack them up like clockwork!

Well sure, when you stake out the middle ground, you catch flack from both extremes. That'll teach you for being reasonable! ;)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    corrarjo wrote: »
    f0123qnek3wb.png

I've only been here two months, and they all came from you guys.

Wait. It says your join date was 2014.

Did you just find the forums?

tumblr_of9a97XO6I1vdlvpao1_400.gif

Oh I avoided the forms for years. To me, the main function of this website is not the forums. Meanwhile, my main source of social networking, Ravelry...

I'm typically more surprised when people haven't seen those forums despite being members for years and years, but the forums there are far more robust.

That's interesting that a knitting forum has a robust community, but I would imagine it's mostly women and fairly innocuous topics?

Not the same as this mixed-gender forum with an equal mix of young and older people at vastly differing levels of nutrition and fitness education(s). There are so many ways a fitness forum can run into the ditch. :lol:

Seems like maybe Ravelry would be much less contentious.

I joined this site in 2007. It was the Wild West up in here for quite a few years before moderation in the forums. Mike, the founder, tried to be the one and only moderator and that just didn't work very well. Or, at all. It was so easy to get in the middle of a dogpile and/or get attacked by some roving trolling poster just spoiling for a little trouble. It really wasn't much fun at all. While I can be snarky with the best of them, it really can get out of hand quickly.

It's much softer and easier here, now.

I did like the gif-as-a-means-to-nuke-a-thread method.

And the, "Is this the real life?" highjacks.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    *twinsies*

@pinuplove is my twin but we can be triplets because more is better.

Our level of twinsieness is approaching uncomfortable levels :lol: Just don't hug me if we ever meet on the street and we're all good. I'll admire your shoes and you can say I look nothing at all like a cat.

I've decided it is time for me to join the Orange Cat Avatar Club.

Oooh, does this make me a social media influencer??? :lol:

(Pretty kitty baby! I have two orange kitties of my own at home.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    *twinsies*

@pinuplove is my twin but we can be triplets because more is better.

Our level of twinsieness is approaching uncomfortable levels :lol: Just don't hug me if we ever meet on the street and we're all good. I'll admire your shoes and you can say I look nothing at all like a cat.

I've decided it is time for me to join the Orange Cat Avatar Club.

Oooh, does this make me a social media influencer??? :lol:

(Pretty kitty baby! I have two orange kitties of my own at home.)

I keep telling my OH the cat is orange and he keeps insisting he is brown...