nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Whelp, I've been using the woo button as praise. Sorry to all the folks I've unintentionally ticked off. No more buttons for me!

You can use Like, Insightful, Inspiring, and Hug. :)

I wish they would change Woo to "Disagree" -- something clearer and not so insulting.

That would be my preference, but if they don't want to do that, than just get rid of it. As was demonstrated on this thread, there is a lot of confusion about the meaning of "Woo".

If they got rid of Woo I'd figure out how to passive-aggressively use "hug" as the new woo. "Bless your heart" like how the little old ladies in the southern US use it.

I've also been know to use "inspiring" when a post in particularly funny and I don't feel like "like" is enough. Or "insightful" for a wonderfully sarcastic post or one that's giving major side-eye. Good stuff.
    :flowerforyou: is the ultimate in MFP passive aggressiveness.

Hey, don't ruin :flowerforyou: entirely! It can be nice, too. Context is everything.

And I like woo, even ambiguous woo, having been around when there was no negative reaction available at all.

Trust me, you do not want to be hearing in actual words from the people who woo innocuous posts, or follow others around just to woo to see their posts. These are not smart, funny, or insightful people. More stupid fight threads frightening new people, then getting censored or closed, is a worse problem that a few ambiguous or unwelcome woos.

Let the passive aggressives woo to their hearts' content. We're all better off that way.

Oh gosh. The days of a relatively innocuous first post followed by a page of "that's stupid" and then 19 pages of cat gifs and "in b4 the roll."

Wait. There were cat gifs? I changed my mind. I would have hated that. I would have been banned but before I was banned I would have hated it.

RealisticBriskBackswimmer-max-1mb.gif
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Whelp, I've been using the woo button as praise. Sorry to all the folks I've unintentionally ticked off. No more buttons for me!

I wish they would change Woo to "Disagree" -- something clearer and not so insulting.

That would be my preference, but if they don't want to do that, than just get rid of it. As was demonstrated on this thread, there is a lot of confusion about the meaning of "Woo".

If they got rid of Woo I'd figure out how to passive-aggressively use "hug" as the new woo. "Bless your heart" like how the little old ladies in the southern US use it.

I've also been know to use "inspiring" when a post in particularly funny and I don't feel like "like" is enough. Or "insightful" for a wonderfully sarcastic post or one that's giving major side-eye. Good stuff.

Hey, don't ruin :flowerforyou: entirely! It can be nice, too. Context is everything.

And I like woo, even ambiguous woo, having been around when there was no negative reaction available at all.

Trust me, you do not want to be hearing in actual words from the people who woo innocuous posts, or follow others around just to woo to see their posts. These are not smart, funny, or insightful people. More stupid fight threads frightening new people, then getting censored or closed, is a worse problem that a few ambiguous or unwelcome woos.

Let the passive aggressives woo to their hearts' content. We're all better off that way.

I think there would be lot a people who would be surprised and disappointed to see the usernames attached to the woos of innocuous posts or who follow others around to woo their posts.

The purpose of the woo button was to reduce the ensuing trainwreck of 50 people coming to attack and mock some ridiculous claim, like "drinking a tbsp of ACV at precisely 10:43 pm while covered in dryer lint will cause weight loss and cure cancer."

A lot of users come here having heard ridiculous diet myths on social media, and it was meant as a non-aggressive response to someone promoting those myths so that others who were able to respond civilly and politely could provide helpful information. That way the information wouldn't get lost in bunch of "hurr durr derp woo" responses from people who are unable to respond in a non-snarky way to people who are trying to learn.

It's unfortunate that the response has been abused to the point that it is effectively meaningless.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Oh gosh. The days of a relatively innocuous first post followed by a page of "that's stupid" and then 19 pages of cat gifs and "in b4 the roll."

Wait. There were cat gifs? I changed my mind. I would have hated that. I would have been banned but before I was banned I would have hated it.

RealisticBriskBackswimmer-max-1mb.gif

That's stupid. :tongue:

LP0JPR1.gif

They are addictive to post, but it does shut down communication.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options

kimny72 wrote: »
    Yep, as someone else who remembers those days, the current situation is far from perfect, but is definitely better. There were always several dumpster fire threads at a time cycling through the process of: someone posts a bizarre reply in a thread, followed by three pages of quoting replies telling them how bizarre their post was, followed by several pages of passive aggressive back and forth, followed by the thread being closed and then nuked, and the innocent OP never got to read the two or three useful answers that were posted before the dumpster fire. As a newbie, it was off-putting and once I started participating it was frustrating to see people with legit questions have their threads hijacked and disappear without them getting the help they need.

I'd like to think there is a better way, but I vote a resounding "no" on going back to the way it was.

Thanks for giving me perspective! I was around for those days as well, and these days are definitely an improvement.

I still think there is more room for improvement, but appreciate this reminder.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

THOSE were the good old days!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Someday it's going to be revealed that the person going around "wooing" all the posts in the woo threads is @kimny72 , @lemurcat2 , @AnnPT77 , or somebody else like that :D

Or someone who accused them to avoid being under suspicion themselves.

Lol... you got me ;)