The Origin and Meaning of "Woo"

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    corrarjo wrote: »
    f0123qnek3wb.png

I've only been here two months, and they all came from you guys.

Post history checks out. You avoided the forums for a remarkably long period of time considering you joined in '14 but only just started posting a couple months ago. I admire your resilience.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    *twinsies*
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    *twinsies*

@pinuplove is my twin but we can be triplets because more is better.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Kiyomoo wrote: »
    Kiyomoo wrote: »
    I use it as "wow", which can be a good wow or a bad wow.

UserA: I've lost 50 pounds!
    Me: Woo emoji (wow! good job!)

UserB: I hate animals.
    Me: Woo emoji (wow...)

@Kiyomoo

Then you are insulting people by marking their posts as bro science, BS or WTF.

Please don't be rude when you intend to congratulate!
    How about actually saying something nice instead?

I think calling it rude is going a little far, considering the sheer amount of people who use it in a positive way. I am not the only one.

If you struck up a conversation with a stranger and said "You're talking BS" do you think they would think you were being rude? Because that's exactly what you are doing whatever your intentions are.

"I'm are not the only one doing it wrong" is a poor defense when many people have told you what the button really means.

You could call my pet a dog despite her having whiskers, chasing mice and going meowww - that other people can't tell the difference between a cat and a dog doesn't mean you should continue to do it wrong.

This poster went on to say she stopped using it in a congratulatory way since reading this thread. :)

But don't your first 2 sentences make the point that it's rude to use woo for it's stated purpose?

I use the woo button in the way it's supposed to be used - is that rude or just direct?
    The point I was making is that don't say "BS/too good to be true/WTF" when you mean "well done".

Personally I don't mind having a discussion with someone I disagree with but there are people on here that it's impossible to have a sensible dialogue with and/or it avoids the ganging up aspect that people disliked before the woo button was instigated - hopefully if people see multiple woos against a post it raises a bit of a warning flag for people to consider, including the person who posted (hopefully!).

Do wish MFP would spend 5 minutes changing the label on the HTML tag to something unambiguous.

It's food for thought to me, I admit, to see >1 woo on one of my posts. There again, context is important.

And, to your first question, I think it's direct, though I would typically state my objections in more detail (probably absurdly exhaustive, over-caveat-ed detail: Sigh) if no one else had already done so.

I would certainly say "BS" to someone IRL in a conversation, if that were my best tactic. (For changing their mind, or influencing bystanders, it often isn't, even if it's part of my mental reaction. Online is a little different, but not totally.)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    *twinsies*

Our level of twinsieness is approaching uncomfortable levels :lol: Just don't hug me if we ever meet on the street and we're all good. I'll admire your shoes and you can say I look nothing at all like a cat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Fivepts wrote: »
    just as FYI, if a post get 5 'woo' votes it gets hidden from the thread... oooooooooooooooooh....

But yours has 8 now and it's still here.

It was a bug for a while though, which was great!
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    *twinsies*

Our level of twinsieness is approaching uncomfortable levels :lol: Just don't hug me if we ever meet on the street and we're all good. I'll admire your shoes and you can say I look nothing at all like a cat.

We shall then nod and walk past each other and never speak of the incident again but continue on our merry MFP ways.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was:

jvqessemmi4q.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Whelp, I've been using the woo button as praise. Sorry to all the folks I've unintentionally ticked off. No more buttons for me!

You can use Like, Insightful, Inspiring, and Hug. :)

I wish they would change Woo to "Disagree" -- something clearer and not so insulting.

That would be my preference, but if they don't want to do that, than just get rid of it. As was demonstrated on this thread, there is a lot of confusion about the meaning of "Woo".

If they got rid of Woo I'd figure out how to passive-aggressively use "hug" as the new woo. "Bless your heart" like how the little old ladies in the southern US use it.

I've also been know to use "inspiring" when a post in particularly funny and I don't feel like "like" is enough. Or "insightful" for a wonderfully sarcastic post or one that's giving major side-eye. Good stuff.
    :flowerforyou: is the ultimate in MFP passive aggressiveness.

Hey, don't ruin :flowerforyou: entirely! It can be nice, too. Context is everything.

And I like woo, even ambiguous woo, having been around when there was no negative reaction available at all.

Trust me, you do not want to be hearing in actual words from the people who woo innocuous posts, or follow others around just to woo to see their posts. These are not smart, funny, or insightful people. More stupid fight threads frightening new people, then getting censored or closed, is a worse problem that a few ambiguous or unwelcome woos.

Let the passive aggressives woo to their hearts' content. We're all better off that way.

Oh gosh. The days of a relatively innocuous first post followed by a page of "that's stupid" and then 19 pages of cat gifs and "in b4 the roll."

Man, I (sort of) miss that! Although after reading @kimny72 thoughtful reply, this is probably better.

Any context really is everything. If you get a :flowerforyou: from, say, a snarky ill-tempered looking cat, it probably means something different from the :flowerforyou: you get from everyone's favorite granny (although she's way cooler than anyone's granny!)

Don't make too many assumptions. Context really is everything. Context. Context. ;)

(And thanks for the nice comment, which I'm taking the liberty of taking personally. :) ).

See, I thought she meant the "other" granny on here.

And my mind is pulling a complete blank as to her username for some reason.

Since I have a crush on Ann it would be creepy for me to call her "granny."

Or kinky. Just saying.

But don't even. Right now, I like you.
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    I always thought it was:

jvqessemmi4q.jpg

This is a definition I could get behind.
  • AnnPT77
    edited March 2019
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Whelp, I've been using the woo button as praise. Sorry to all the folks I've unintentionally ticked off. No more buttons for me!

You can use Like, Insightful, Inspiring, and Hug. :)

I wish they would change Woo to "Disagree" -- something clearer and not so insulting.

That would be my preference, but if they don't want to do that, than just get rid of it. As was demonstrated on this thread, there is a lot of confusion about the meaning of "Woo".

If they got rid of Woo I'd figure out how to passive-aggressively use "hug" as the new woo. "Bless your heart" like how the little old ladies in the southern US use it.

I've also been know to use "inspiring" when a post in particularly funny and I don't feel like "like" is enough. Or "insightful" for a wonderfully sarcastic post or one that's giving major side-eye. Good stuff.
    :flowerforyou: is the ultimate in MFP passive aggressiveness.

Hey, don't ruin :flowerforyou: entirely! It can be nice, too. Context is everything.

And I like woo, even ambiguous woo, having been around when there was no negative reaction available at all.

Trust me, you do not want to be hearing in actual words from the people who woo innocuous posts, or follow others around just to woo to see their posts. These are not smart, funny, or insightful people. More stupid fight threads frightening new people, then getting censored or closed, is a worse problem that a few ambiguous or unwelcome woos.

Let the passive aggressives woo to their hearts' content. We're all better off that way.

Oh gosh. The days of a relatively innocuous first post followed by a page of "that's stupid" and then 19 pages of cat gifs and "in b4 the roll."

Man, I (sort of) miss that! Although after reading @kimny72 thoughtful reply, this is probably better.

Any context really is everything. If you get a :flowerforyou: from, say, a snarky ill-tempered looking cat, it probably means something different from the :flowerforyou: you get from everyone's favorite granny (although she's way cooler than anyone's granny!)

Don't make too many assumptions. Context really is everything. Context. Context. ;)

(And thanks for the nice comment, which I'm taking the liberty of taking personally. :) ).

See, I thought she meant the "other" granny on here.

And my mind is pulling a complete blank as to her username for some reason.

They say these slips of memory are more common in the elderly :flowerforyou:

But you know who I mean, don't you? C'mon. Help an old guy out. It's gonna bug me.

*kitten*

@middlehaitch That's who I'm thinking of and who I thought you meant for some reason.

No offense @AnnPT77, it's just who first came to mind with @pinuplove 's comment

I would love to be mistaken for haitch, but it's not gonna happen. Well, maybe except for you, TW.

I think haitch has been smart enough to stay the heck off this thread, at least recently? Me, well, not so much . . . .

:lol:
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    corrarjo wrote: »
    f0123qnek3wb.png

I've only been here two months, and they all came from you guys.

Wait. It says your join date was 2014.

Did you just find the forums?

tumblr_of9a97XO6I1vdlvpao1_400.gif

Oh I avoided the forms for years. To me, the main function of this website is not the forums. Meanwhile, my main source of social networking, Ravelry...

I'm typically more surprised when people haven't seen those forums despite being members for years and years, but the forums there are far more robust.