try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Whelp, I've been using the woo button as praise. Sorry to all the folks I've unintentionally ticked off. No more buttons for me!

You can use Like, Insightful, Inspiring, and Hug. :)

I wish they would change Woo to "Disagree" -- something clearer and not so insulting.

That would be my preference, but if they don't want to do that, than just get rid of it. As was demonstrated on this thread, there is a lot of confusion about the meaning of "Woo".

If they got rid of Woo I'd figure out how to passive-aggressively use "hug" as the new woo. "Bless your heart" like how the little old ladies in the southern US use it.

I've also been know to use "inspiring" when a post in particularly funny and I don't feel like "like" is enough. Or "insightful" for a wonderfully sarcastic post or one that's giving major side-eye. Good stuff.
    :flowerforyou: is the ultimate in MFP passive aggressiveness.

Hey, don't ruin :flowerforyou: entirely! It can be nice, too. Context is everything.

And I like woo, even ambiguous woo, having been around when there was no negative reaction available at all.

Trust me, you do not want to be hearing in actual words from the people who woo innocuous posts, or follow others around just to woo to see their posts. These are not smart, funny, or insightful people. More stupid fight threads frightening new people, then getting censored or closed, is a worse problem that a few ambiguous or unwelcome woos.

Let the passive aggressives woo to their hearts' content. We're all better off that way.

I think there would be lot a people who would be surprised and disappointed to see the usernames attached to the woos of innocuous posts or who follow others around to woo their posts.

The purpose of the woo button was to reduce the ensuing trainwreck of 50 people coming to attack and mock some ridiculous claim, like "drinking a tbsp of ACV at precisely 10:43 pm while covered in dryer lint will cause weight loss and cure cancer."

A lot of users come here having heard ridiculous diet myths on social media, and it was meant as a non-aggressive response to someone promoting those myths so that others who were able to respond civilly and politely could provide helpful information. That way the information wouldn't get lost in bunch of "hurr durr derp woo" responses from people who are unable to respond in a non-snarky way to people who are trying to learn.

It's unfortunate that the response has been abused to the point that it is effectively meaningless.

In Disqus and various other forums you can see who left positive and negative reactions. I think that would be a better way and stop the woo stalking and passive aggressive nonsense.

Yes, anonymity makes people very brave foolish.
  • try2again
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    Someday it's going to be revealed that the person going around "wooing" all the posts in the woo threads is @kimny72 , @lemurcat2 , @AnnPT77 , or somebody else like that :D

Or someone who accused them to avoid being under suspicion themselves.

I think people might be surprised how many of us DON'T regularly use the woo button, much less woo-stalk users we might not care for, simply because we appreciate just how meaningless the reaction is and prefer to either respond or simply ignore, depending on the situation.

^This. I never use the woo button because I don't want the person to mistakenly think they are being cheered on.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Kiyomoo wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    I use it as "wow", which can be a good wow or a bad wow.

UserA: I've lost 50 pounds!
    Me: Woo emoji (wow! good job!)

UserB: I hate animals.
    Me: Woo emoji (wow...)

@Kiyomoo

Then you are insulting people by marking their posts as bro science, BS or WTF.

Please don't be rude when you intend to congratulate!
    How about actually saying something nice instead?

I think calling it rude is going a little far, considering the sheer amount of people who use it in a positive way. I am not the only one.

If you struck up a conversation with a stranger and said "You're talking BS" do you think they would think you were being rude? Because that's exactly what you are doing whatever your intentions are.

"I'm are not the only one doing it wrong" is a poor defense when many people have told you what the button really means.

You could call my pet a dog despite her having whiskers, chasing mice and going meowww - that other people can't tell the difference between a cat and a dog doesn't mean you should continue to do it wrong.
  • try2again
    Options
    I use it as "wow", which can be a good wow or a bad wow.

UserA: I've lost 50 pounds!
    Me: Woo emoji (wow! good job!)

UserB: I hate animals.
    Me: Woo emoji (wow...)

@Kiyomoo

Then you are insulting people by marking their posts as bro science, BS or WTF.

Please don't be rude when you intend to congratulate!
    How about actually saying something nice instead?

I think calling it rude is going a little far, considering the sheer amount of people who use it in a positive way. I am not the only one.

If you struck up a conversation with a stranger and said "You're talking BS" do you think they would think you were being rude? Because that's exactly what you are doing whatever your intentions are.

"I'm are not the only one doing it wrong" is a poor defense when many people have told you what the button really means.

You could call my pet a dog despite her having whiskers, chasing mice and going meowww - that other people can't tell the difference between a cat and a dog doesn't mean you should continue to do it wrong.

This poster went on to say she stopped using it in a congratulatory way since reading this thread. :)

But don't your first 2 sentences make the point that it's rude to use woo for it's stated purpose?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Someday it's going to be revealed that the person going around "wooing" all the posts in the woo threads is @kimny72 , @lemurcat2 , @AnnPT77 , or somebody else like that :D

I think people might be surprised how many of us DON'T regularly use the woo button, much less woo-stalk users we might not care for, simply because we appreciate just how meaningless the reaction is and prefer to either respond or simply ignore, depending on the situation.

Hug stalking, however......

I prefer "inspiring" stalking myself. Minor but non-harmful confusion, lol.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    just as FYI, if a post get 5 'woo' votes it gets hidden from the thread... oooooooooooooooooh....

But yours has 8 now and it's still here.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Agreed. Anonymous hugging is uber creepy.

I don't use the woo for anything. When I was first here, like some people, I thought it mean woot or something similar but after I learned I stopped completely. I told my wife about the woo thing and we had a good derisive laugh over it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

Is perfectly acceptable :flowerforyou:

I don't use the woo for anything. When I was first here, like some people, I thought it mean woot or something similar but after I learned I stopped completely. I told my wife about the woo thing and we had a good derisive laugh over it.

With @tacklewasher it's never anonymous :lol: He knows I hugged him. Hugged you too :tongue:
  • pinuplove
    Options

With @tacklewasher it's never anonymous :lol: He know I hugged him. Hugged you too :tongue:

Stop violating my personal internet posting space!

It's because you don't like cats, isn't it? :disappointed:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Guys I'm almost at 100. Help a woman out here. This is the perfect thread for it.

You are lucky I like you. With a woo score that low I should really put you on ignore.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    Guys I'm almost at 100. Help a woman out here. This is the perfect thread for it.

qbf08z363wgs.png

98!! :smiley:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

qbf08z363wgs.png

You obviously haven't angered the wrong people! :laugh:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

With @tacklewasher it's never anonymous :lol: He know I hugged him. Hugged you too :tongue:

Stop violating my personal internet posting space!

I just hugged you, and as you can see by my avatar, I am actually two cats.