January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1/1 = 6 miles

So cold outside! It snowed again last night.... In central Texas .... second time snowing this month. Ewwwwww.

I feel like a complete wuss seeing the temps you guys run in. It was 21 degrees F this morning and I thought I was going to die of hypothermia. I don’t know how you northern people run on the regular in the “negative too damn cold degree” weather. I just want to hibernate in a couch blanket fort.

January Goal = 140 miles / total miles = 6
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Argh. Like many of the people here living in colder climates, I am tired of the treadmill! But I'm also nervous about running outside during this cold snap.

For example, I'm in Chicago -- the lowest wind chill readings tomorrow will be MINUS 20 or 30 degrees. Is it even safe to run in those temps? Is wearing a pair of socks, running shoes, long capris , a baselayer, t-shirt, wind jacket, hat and gloves enough? I feel like the majority of my body will be fine, but I'm super worried exposing my lungs to that level of frigid air will be detrimental. I've never run in this kind of cold before -- I have ran when the temps were in the high teens, but not with this wind chill. Any advice or encouragement is appreciated.

You should consider a balaclava or similar over your mouth & nose - basically only expose your eyes. Suggest doing short loops near your house and circling back to add or shed layers as needed until you are warm enough to be safe & comfortable.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1/1 = 6 miles

So cold outside! It snowed again last night.... In central Texas .... second time snowing this month. Ewwwwww.

I feel like a complete wuss seeing the temps you guys run in. It was 21 degrees F this morning and I thought I was going to die of hypothermia. I don’t know how you northern people run on the regular in the “negative too damn cold degree” weather. I just want to hibernate in a couch blanket fort.

January Goal = 140 miles / total miles = 6

No, I am from Chicago and am a wuss! Lol. I can't run in subzero temps! I feel like my lungs will collapse, lol.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Argh. Like many of the people here living in colder climates, I am tired of the treadmill! But I'm also nervous about running outside during this cold snap.

For example, I'm in Chicago -- the lowest wind chill readings tomorrow will be MINUS 20 or 30 degrees. Is it even safe to run in those temps? Is wearing a pair of socks, running shoes, long capris , a baselayer, t-shirt, wind jacket, hat and gloves enough? I feel like the majority of my body will be fine, but I'm super worried exposing my lungs to that level of frigid air will be detrimental. I've never run in this kind of cold before -- I have ran when the temps were in the high teens, but not with this wind chill. Any advice or encouragement is appreciated.

You should consider a balaclava or similar over your mouth & nose - basically only expose your eyes. Suggest doing short loops near your house and circling back to add or shed layers as needed until you are warm enough to be safe & comfortable.

Thanks! I tried running in the low teens once and had to turn around -- I could barely breath, but this was about a month ago at night. The short loops are a great idea!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Treadmill 4.5. Not the best start to the year but didn't feel like braving the cold this am. Going out tomorrow hoping for 7.

exercise.png

• Butterchop
    Butterchop Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    First time with the challenge.
    January's goal. To run 3 times a week and work on bridge to 10 k.
    I just started running in June. Finished my first 5k in September and have not ran at all in December. I hate cold weather so maybe I can get back to it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

Air temp on my run last night was -20. Not sure on windchill. It's doable as long as you're layered up right. I'm a bit tired today, but that's it. Having a balaclava or muff to cover your mouth and nose will help. I didn't run with one, but would, in lower temps.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Thanks! I tried running in the low teens once and had to turn around -- I could barely breath, but this was about a month ago at night. The short loops are a great idea!

DEFINITELY stay close to base. -20F is easy frostbite weather, and hypothermia is a real thing. If you are dressed right you can do it. But it takes trial and error to get "dressed right" down.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    GrayduckMN wrote: »
    Treadmill Time...

Today's Run: 2m
    Month Total: 2m

I was surprised at how well I did. I haven't run at all in the last 3 weeks or so. I did a warmup walk of .3 mile at 3.5, and then ran for 2 miles at 5. I wanted to stop at around 1.75 but a Good Song came on the playlist and it propelled me on through. It's amazing how the right song can do that...

<i>2018 Goals
    April: Goldy's Run 5k OR 10mile relay, depending on whether or not I am ready for a 5 miler AND I have a relay partner
    May: Fast and Furry 8k
    Oct: TC Marathon 10k</i>

Music can save a seemingly bad workout and turn it into an amazing one! Glad you were able to pull through!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB unless your trail speed is close to your road speed, you're not getting full potential out of speedwork on trail. Speed work is about increasing overall maximum legspeed, which translates into easier running around. That's the reason a lot of the elite ultra runners still do track work.

And hill work isn't speedwork, it's strength work, just ask Hal Koerner.

Crap... I just tried to correct an amazing runner.... there goes my newbe moniker....crud.

I'm gonna disagree with Koerner there to a point-
    I think if you run them right hills can be effing everything work :D . There is actual skill in running uphills fast versus competently imho. But I also don't have a bad *kitten* book haha

I get the actual physiological "reason" in track work but it just seems so practically pathetic in comparison. Like "I'm going to run several kilometers dead up a mountain but it reeeeeally matters to that effort how fast I can bang out 800x6's on a flat surface with no tech interference." Ykwim? I have no idea what my best mile time would be on a flat anymore...not 100% sure I really care :/ . I may or may not be the worst lol

And if you're a newb so am I boss :D
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options

DEFINITELY stay close to base. -20F is easy frostbite weather, and hypothermia is a real thing. If you are dressed right you can do it. But it takes trial and error to get "dressed right" down.

The only reason I want to test it out is I have a 5k race on January 20 on the Chicago lakefront -- which I'm sure will be brutally cold. I just hope we don't see -20/-30 wind chills that day. I can handle the teens. Not sure about subzero temps.

Glad to know I'm not ridiculous for being a little nervous with -20 degree wind chills. I'll dress up and stay close to home. I want to see if i'm capable so I know what I'm getting myself into for the upcoming 5k! Brr.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Here's the link to the MFP Long Distance Runners group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    1/1 Leg Day + 1.65 run just a short run to get out of the house, take a work break, and help hit my step count

Total: 1.65/50

2018 Races
    1/13 Rock n Roll 5K
    1/14 Rock n Roll 10K
    1/28 WTF Quarter Marathon
    2/18 Coyotes 5K Breakaway Challenge
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    9 pages already on Jan 1st. WOW!

1.1.18 - 10 m. TM @ MP 8:30.

January Goal - 220 total running miles. 4 Bike Rides of 15 - 20 miles. Learn to swim ;)
    TM=TreadMill.
    MP=MarathonPace - Usually 8:15 - 8:45.

Tentative Race Calendar:
    1.27 or 1.28 - Scheduling.
    3.4.18 - Little Rock Marathon
    4.7.18 - Yakima River Canyon Marathon
    5.6.18 - Flying Pig Marathon
    5.20.18 - IronMan 70.3 Chattanooga
    7.14.18 - IronMan 70.3 Muncie

MM - 7877.