January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    01/01/20178 - 3.0 miles @ 9:15

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

02/10/18 - Valentine's Day 15k
    03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So I FINALLY got out running after missing runs for a couple weeks. Temp on my thermometer read 10F with a feels like of 3F. So I put ALL the clothes on, and hand warmers for my gloves.

Well, starting out my face was a bit warm, fingers froze up as soon as I moved them away from the warmer so just held the warmer the entire time. Chest/legs were great, and even my ears were cozy. But I had to come in after only 3 miles anyways. My toes were in real trouble. By 2ish miles they were hurting really bad and ever step was murder, so I turned back. Fortunately, I stayed near home base and was able to run home quicklyish. Toes were purple when I got in the shower and let the warm water run over them.

So either I have to buy bigger shoes and put toe warmers in, or dread mill it for the rest of this cold snap. Being that the holidays left me broke, the dreadmilll is more likely. The rest of my kit worked very well. Okay so the fog freezing to ice on my sunglasses needs some rethinking, but at least my face was warm. :)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Is the cold predicted to shift for you soon? Temps are rising rapidly here today thankfully and predicted to be above seasonal starting tomorrow and into next week.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Is the cold predicted to shift for you soon? Temps are rising rapidly here today thankfully and predicted to be above seasonal starting tomorrow and into next week.

Not looking promising:

35q3mpbyg5e5.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 her glasses never got out of the driveway. She put on a smaller clear pair hoping to keep the cold wind off her eyes, they kept steaming up so she quit them too. When we ran into the wind she kept her head down a bit.

@MobyCarp sorry you didn't get your race in today.

@PastorVincent ouch your poor toes.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    No run today, but I don't usually run on Mondays. We did get the dogs out for a quick 1/2 mile walk. I'm really impressed with all of you running in this cold. It was 25°f and almost unbearable for me. I've been keeping hand warmers in my shoes for the past 2 days and that is in the house. I skipped my run yesterday (It was even colder and icy) and I am on the fence about tomorrow's run. It is supposed to get up to 32°f and if the sun is shining I may give it a go. I guess I will see how it goes.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    @eponine1984 Congrats on the new baby!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @eponine1984 Congrats on the new baby!

Ack! I missed that post! Congrats!!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @eponine1984 congratulations!
    @PastorVincent oh no poor toes! Be careful!
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm in for 60kms this month, with a stretch goal of 75kms. This may be overly ambitious since I'm still on vacation right now and therefore have a lot more energy than I normally do, but I'm optimistic!

exercise.png[\img]
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm going to join in for 20 miles :) I am doing many different activities right now but I'd like to start running more consistently.
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    1/1 5.9miles

Had fun at my neighbor’s house for NYE, but as usual I felt too wired to fall asleep after the ball dropped. I ended up going to bed around 2:30am. Yikes. I forced myself up at 7:30 because I need to get back on our school schedule Wednesday morning. It’ll be back to 6am wake ups - boo.

After a late breakfast, I tried to help my daughter with her new sewing machine. After 2+ hours trying to figure the darn thing out I determined it’s broken. It will not sew two stitches without jamming and ripping the thread. I can see exactly what is happening when I turn the manual knob. I boxed it up and it’s going back. My mom sewed and had a Bernina, that thing was a powerhouse. This is 5 pounds of plastic junk! Too bad, the reviews on Amazon were decent as a beginner machine.

Anyway if you are still reading, I did intervals on the treadmill 8x .5mile at 10k pace with 90 seconds recovery with a warm up and cool down it amounted to 5.9 miles. It was too cold outside for me, downright balmy for the likes of quite a few of you :smile:
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I wimped out on running our local Wake up and Run 5K but I did get 5 miles in on the treadmill to kick off the new year (and finish the RW Streak).
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!

Waited until 3 pm to run at the warmest part of the day. It was 33 F with a feel like of 25 F. Sunny outside. Base layer with long sleeve T-shirt and pants. Thick headband for ear protection and wore gloves for first 1.5 mile, then ditched them last 1.5 mile. Wind was out of the north at 13 mph. Running into wind was hard, but clothing was just enough to be comfortable running and not get too warm.

01/01/2018 - 3.0 miles

3/75 miles

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Q50 Resolution Run - 01/06/2018 - ?
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K -02/17/2018
    OLOLCH Amazing Challenge 5K and 10K - 03/10-11/2018 - ?
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf 3/24/2018 -?
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 -?
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Argh. Like many of the people here living in colder climates, I am tired of the treadmill! But I'm also nervous about running outside during this cold snap.

For example, I'm in Chicago -- the lowest wind chill readings tomorrow will be MINUS 20 or 30 degrees. Is it even safe to run in those temps? Is wearing a pair of socks, running shoes, long capris , a baselayer, t-shirt, wind jacket, hat and gloves enough? I feel like the majority of my body will be fine, but I'm super worried exposing my lungs to that level of frigid air will be detrimental. I've never run in this kind of cold before -- I have ran when the temps were in the high teens, but not with this wind chill. Any advice or encouragement is appreciated.