January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    First day of half marathon training - 3 miles on the treadmill. I'm taking it easy with 15-minute miles instead of trying to push to 14- or 13:30. Between me and the baby-on-board it averages to 7:30 per mile. The first mile felt awkward but after that I hit my stride and it felt good. A little challenging, but I felt I could do a bit more.

Jan 2: 3 miles
    Jan total: 3
    Jan goal 30 miles

Great job getting HM training going! I LOL'ed at the baby on board comment. So awesome!
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    2017 wrap up

I finished the year with 1207 miles, just 13 miles more than 2016 and nearly 300 miles less than my goal. The two biggest factors in failing to reach my goal are sailing and injury. I wanted to run 100 miles per month throughout the summer but averaged just 55 miles per month through the sailing season. Weekends spent sailing put a big crimp on my long runs but I'm more than okay with trading running for nautical miles. The other factor I'm not okay with, a calf muscle strain in October and continuing IT band issues starting in late November.

Enough with the lowlights, on to the highlights:
    • Overall Increase in miles for the year.
    • Several PRs: (Road HM - 1:51:40, Trail HM - 2:08, Trail 10K - 55:51)
    • Kody's first 5K (25:49)
    • First Parkrun
    • First virtual race - AIM at Melanoma 5K (Kody's first race and my first Parkrun)
    • First major trail race - Zumbro 17 Mile, finishing in 3:10, good for 112th out of 425, 10th out of 56 in Grand Master Males
    • First ultramarathon - Chippewa 50K, finishing in 6:23, good for 76th out of 174 overall, 10th out of 32 in my age group

Here are my runs of 2017:

mebarvyuhu6a.jpg

Whoa! How did you make this cool graphic with all of your maps?! That's so neat.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've expanded my goal list for the year:

2018 Goals
    • 1500 total miles
    • 500 trail miles
    • Run every road in town (about 250 miles of running)
    • First 50 Mile race - Zumbro 50, April 14th
    • Three ultramarathons - Psycho WyCo 50K, Zumbro 50M, Superior 50K
    • 5K road PR (currently 23:44)
    • 10K road PR (currently 1:03:42 - beating this is a gimmee. Current PR was set 3 months after I started running)
    • Distance PR of 50 miles (currently 31 miles)
    • Avoid running breaks of 7 days or more
    • Avoid injury

• carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    DAy 2 of RED january, today was strenght training day so just did a couple of mile run on top of that for the running streak.

1/1 - 4.2
    2.2-6.0

Total - 6.2 Miles/150 Miles

Upcoming races:
    25th February - Brighton Half Marathon
    22nd April - London Marathon
    5th May - Mid Sussex Marathon 10 Mile
    6th May - Mid Sussex Marathon 10 Mile
    7th May - Mid Sussex Marathon 10k
  • 7lenny7
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Whoa! How did you make this cool graphic with all of your maps?! That's so neat.

@LaurenFOB2301 if you use Strava, you can go here and link to your Strava account.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

@LaurenFOB2301 if you use Strava, you can go here and link to your Strava account.

Mine would basically look the same. I need to move. LOL
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Mine too. Same same same. I'm so boring.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Jan. 2 - 4.5km snowy but not as cold as yesterday. Walk/run with an elevation gain of 119M
    MTD - 9km/??? Still not sure what my goal is this month.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

Mine too. Same same same. I'm so boring.

I sometimes reverse it. In case anyone is trying to follow me. LOL (Paranoid much?)
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @eponine1984 congratulations! Exciting news!!
    @garygse good to see you getting in some miles!
    @skippygirlsmom great job getting out in the cold with Skip!
    @ddmom0811 nice job streaking!
    @sarahthes nice looking family, and well done one the race.
    @PastorVincent have you tried taping up the outside of your shoes with duct tape when it gets cold? It makes a big difference and the tape easily comes off after the run. Last night I forgot to tape my shoes and only got a quarter of a mile out before I had to come back and tape them up. Running shoes are designed for air flow, which you don't want when it's cold out.
    @GrayduckMN welcome! As a Minnesotan, I LOVE your username.
    @NikolaosKey I hope you get back on track in 2018!
    @karllundy two flats, what are the odds? Sorry to hear about it. My wife's truck was shut down due to a failed ignition coil but that only took about 5 minutes to replace.