January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    6.4 miles today. Damn, it's cold out. I didn't run outside, as it was a whopping zero degrees F. I did step outside to run to the grocery store after the run, and it was just too effing cold for me. Don't see how you hard-core peeps can do it out there in this.

Made a nice steaming pot of chili for dinner and binged on Stranger Things. That's what this weather is made for.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

1.1.18 - 10 m. TM @ MP 8:30.

*swoon*
  • Luxyp
    Luxyp Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the frigid weather has hampered my running. Instead had to do 45 min on indoor bike. Will still keep 100 miles target for now.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    So given the weather, and my lack of funds to buy new shoes (that would allow bigger socks and warmers) I think I might focus on some dreadmill work. Thinking of doing my 1 hour all uphill runs, and try to push the pace to beyond MP. At least till the weather breaks and I can get back outside for some real runs. I really do not want to lose my conditioning, but after how today went, I am not confident of being able to run outside much in January here.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Nice article that gives people things they can do to start working on their NY resolutions/goals.

So many people make a goal, but don't know what to do next.

12 New Year’s Resolutions You Can Start Right Now
    Lose weight, run your first race, stay consistent: Here’s how to get started right now on your big goals for the new year.

https://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/12-new-years-resolutions-you-can-start-right-now
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I need to get back on track by working at training consistently!!! 3 times a week!
    (reasonable AND realistic)
    January goal: 70km
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent have you thought to wear a thin sock along with thicker socks instead of 2 thicker socks. Something like thinsulate? I've even worn pantyhose under jeans to stay warm. Maybe a pair of knee highs.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent have you thought to wear a thin sock along with thicker socks instead of 2 thicker socks. Something like thinsulate? I've even worn pantyhose under jeans to stay warm. Maybe a pair of knee highs.

Considered layers, but really, there is no room in my shoes. With my wide feet it is tough to get shoes that fit with 1 layer of socks on, never mind 2.
  • optionsguy88
    optionsguy88 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Joining this. I ran today. Am doing a 15k in March. Feel free to add me. I will share exercises and my food diary.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @JessicaMcB unless your trail speed is close to your road speed, you're not getting full potential out of speedwork on trail. Speed work is about increasing overall maximum legspeed, which translates into easier running around. That's the reason a lot of the elite ultra runners still do track work.

And hill work isn't speedwork, it's strength work, just ask Hal Koerner.

Crap... I just tried to correct an amazing runner.... there goes my newbe moniker....crud.

I'm gonna disagree with Koerner there to a point-
    I think if you run them right hills can be effing everything work :D . There is actual skill in running uphills fast versus competently imho. But I also don't have a bad *kitten* book haha

I get the actual physiological "reason" in track work but it just seems so practically pathetic in comparison. Like "I'm going to run several kilometers dead up a mountain but it reeeeeally matters to that effort how fast I can bang out 800x6's on a flat surface with no tech interference." Ykwim? I have no idea what my best mile time would be on a flat anymore...not 100% sure I really care :/ . I may or may not be the worst lol

And if you're a newb so am I boss :D

So as another obvious no nothing newb in this thread, one thing *I* preach is specificity in training. That is if you want to get better at doing A THING, then you need do said THING.

I.e. If you want to run up hill, in the snow, faster and better, well you need to get out there and run up hill, in the snow, over and over. Sure other exercises might assist, but nothing beats doing the thing that you want to get better at.

*shrugs* Seems to work for most people at least...

This is how I feel too, which is why I do speed work on tech trail- I want to be fast on tech not on flats because I am not interested in racing flats.

We're the three musketeers of newbing :D
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Argh. Like many of the people here living in colder climates, I am tired of the treadmill! But I'm also nervous about running outside during this cold snap.

For example, I'm in Chicago -- the lowest wind chill readings tomorrow will be MINUS 20 or 30 degrees. Is it even safe to run in those temps? Is wearing a pair of socks, running shoes, long capris , a baselayer, t-shirt, wind jacket, hat and gloves enough? I feel like the majority of my body will be fine, but I'm super worried exposing my lungs to that level of frigid air will be detrimental. I've never run in this kind of cold before -- I have ran when the temps were in the high teens, but not with this wind chill. Any advice or encouragement is appreciated.

You should consider a balaclava or similar over your mouth & nose - basically only expose your eyes. Suggest doing short loops near your house and circling back to add or shed layers as needed until you are warm enough to be safe & comfortable.

Thanks! I tried running in the low teens once and had to turn around -- I could barely breath, but this was about a month ago at night. The short loops are a great idea!

DEFINITELY stay close to base. -20F is easy frostbite weather, and hypothermia is a real thing. If you are dressed right you can do it. But it takes trial and error to get "dressed right" down.

The only reason I want to test it out is I have a 5k race on January 20 on the Chicago lakefront -- which I'm sure will be brutally cold. I just hope we don't see -20/-30 wind chills that day. I can handle the teens. Not sure about subzero temps.

Glad to know I'm not ridiculous for being a little nervous with -20 degree wind chills. I'll dress up and stay close to home. I want to see if i'm capable so I know what I'm getting myself into for the upcoming 5k! Brr.

The worst thing I found with doing a 5k in those temperatures was staying warm BEFORE the race. I try to show up as close to start time as possible, and keep moving. And if you're staying out in the weather after the race, bring dry clothing to change into right away. The race itself isn't bad - IF you've trained outside.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Considered layers, but really, there is no room in my shoes. With my wide feet it is tough to get shoes that fit with 1 layer of socks on, never mind 2.

@PastorVincent that is why I suggested thinsulate or pantyhose they are both so thin. I read somewhere too that your feet will get colder in tight shoes. Not sure where I saw that. Don't blame you for staying inside until the weather takes a break, no one wants frost bite on their toes.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent that is why I suggested thinsulate or pantyhose they are both so thin. I read somewhere too that your feet will get colder in tight shoes. Not sure where I saw that. Don't blame you for staying inside until the weather takes a break, no one wants frost bite on their toes.

I will look for Thinsulate socks. Amazon does not have any right now it seems. Worth a try I guess :) Thanks.