January 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask but I feel more comfortable asking here than starting a brand new thread in the "Weight Loss" discussion forum.

I'm curious if any runners here have weight loss goals but have trouble losing pounds -- even though they are making gains in lung capacity, speed, endurance, etc.?

For me, I think it has to do a lot with genetics, my desk job and my occasional sweet tooth that can run wild and wreak havoc on what otherwise would have been an incredible week of healthy eating. :)

Before I started running in September, I was barely exercising and would go weeks at a time without doing anything (due to a loss in the family, depression, major self-esteem issues and whatnot.) And then, suddenly, I decided to do something about it so I began running 1/3 mile stretches (the most I could do before I ran out of breath) with a goal of at least 1 mile per day.

Gradually, I increased my mileage and ended up losing about 8 pounds between September and now -- and that was never my goal. My only goal was to improve my breathing and run farther. And the pounds came off.

Suddenly, though, it stopped despite me running faster, farther, etc. I lost inches early on too, but that has stopped.

What should I be doing to push past this plateau? Should I eat more, less? Am I not running hard or long enough? Currently, I average about 3 miles/5 days a week. (Part of the problem is it's so cold and I hate running on the treadmill.) I was running closer to 5-7 mile per day in the fall when it was warmer outside!

My eating could be better. (Diary is public.) The past week hasn't been the greatest but generally I eat fairly well. I never drink soda, sugary drinks, etc. But I have a measured amount of creamer in my coffee every day and have a sweet tooth for desserts from time to time, haha. :)

Also, I have a desk job, so I'm sitting for 8 hours a day. Not much I can change about that, but I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with it, too.

Sorry to bore everyone -- just curious if anyone is going through a similar situation!
  • LaurenFOB2301
    Options
    heh - my phone has started suggesting "dreadmill" instead of "treadmill" now. :smiley: It understands. :lol:

YES! That's hilarious.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask but I feel more comfortable asking here than starting a brand new thread in the "Weight Loss" discussion forum.

I'm curious if any runners here have weight loss goals but have trouble losing pounds -- even though they are making gains in lung capacity, speed, endurance, etc.?

For me, I think it has to do a lot with genetics, my desk job and my occasional sweet tooth that can run wild and wreak havoc on what otherwise would have been an incredible week of healthy eating. :)

Before I started running in September, I was barely exercising and would go weeks at a time without doing anything (due to a loss in the family, depression, major self-esteem issues and whatnot.) And then, suddenly, I decided to do something about it so I began running 1/3 mile stretches (the most I could do before I ran out of breath) with a goal of at least 1 mile per day.

Gradually, I increased my mileage and ended up losing about 8 pounds between September and now -- and that was never my goal. My only goal was to improve my breathing and run farther. And the pounds came off.

Suddenly, though, it stopped despite me running faster, farther, etc. I lost inches early on too, but that has stopped.

What should I be doing to push past this plateau? Should I eat more, less? Am I not running hard or long enough? Currently, I average about 3 miles/5 days a week. (Part of the problem is it's so cold and I hate running on the treadmill.) I was running closer to 5-7 mile per day in the fall when it was warmer outside!

My eating could be better. (Diary is public.) The past week hasn't been the greatest but generally I eat fairly well. I never drink soda, sugary drinks, etc. But I have a measured amount of creamer in my coffee every day and have a sweet tooth for desserts from time to time, haha. :)

Also, I have a desk job, so I'm sitting for 8 hours a day. Not much I can change about that, but I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with it, too.

Sorry to bore everyone -- just curious if anyone is going through a similar situation!

You might be counting your exercise calories too high. Strava especially way over inflates calories burned. Try taking only HALF of what your work out app says you should get.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    edited January 2018
    Options

You might be counting your exercise calories too high. Strava especially way over inflates calories burned. Try taking only HALF of what your work out app says you should get.

Good point! I use Samsung Health but just downloaded Strava yesterday and planned to try that app while running outdoors.

I do notice I tend to 'compensate eat' when I know I've put in a lot of miles one day and MFP says I have "extra calories" to spare, lol.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @garygse -- I followed the recommendation of @7lenny7 and bought a pair of the golf mitts and feel they have been a great addition to my cold weather gear as well. I have a pair of lightweight gloves that I normally wear (I think they are rated for 40 F, but I am fine with just those to about 20 F) and wear them under the mitts. The mitts don't flap around either when you pull your hand through the slit and there have been a couple of times when my hand was warm enough to pull out, but I left the mitts contoured around the back of my hand to still give some protection/warmth. I'm not running in the temps that some of the northerners are, but this past week have ran in sub-zero temps with WC about -15 F and was fine with those. I wear a 9.5" (L) glove.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Good point! I use Samsung Health but just downloaded Strava yesterday and planned to try that app while running outdoors.

I do notice I tend to 'compensate eat' when I know I've put in a lot of miles one day and MFP says I have "extra calories" to spare, lol.

Yeah, if you are focused on loosing (I am currently at maintenance, so a bit harder for me really) you probably want to start with only eating back half your exercise calories, and adjust DOWN as needed. You may also need to adjust down your daily calorie allowance that MFP gives you. It will take some experimentation to get to the right levels - and it will need to be adjusted from time to time.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    01/01/2018 - 3.0 miles
    01/02/2018 - 4.0 miles
    01/03/2018 - Rest Day

7/75 miles

@Link2Life and @jacqueline0821 - Welcome! And anybody else I may have missed!

Upcoming races (Question marks are races not yet registered for):
    Q50 Resolution Run - 01/06/2018 - ?
    Louisiana Marathon Quarter Marathon - 01/13/2018
    Mardi Gras Mambo 10K -02/17/2018
    OLOLCH Amazing Challenge 5K and 10K - 03/10-11/2018 - ?
    Q50 Races Sunset Gulf 3/24/2018 -?
    BIG EASY BIG HEART 5K 7/21/2018 -?
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    01/01 4.06 miles
    03/01 3.80 miles Phew that was one stormy run!

exercise.png

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @elise4270 it was definitely the machine and thankfully not a pipe. I shop vac'd the rug and I'll worry about the washer over the weekend.

My washing machine broke today too @skippygirlsmom. In my case it started smoking and set off the smoke detector. I am hanging out at the laundromat tonight...

Is it a Samsung? There's a known issue with that...
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @7lenny7 see I'm on the opposite page from your wife- Ben is fully aware if he shaves his off (largely because plants he visits make him shave it off to enter -_- )I'm gonna whine about it haha

January 1- 18
    January 2- 20
    January 3- 19

57/550

57/6000

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    January Goal: 135 miles

01/01 - Rest (worked out this was also the coldest day)
    01/02 - 3.0 - 9:20/m - 141bpm
    01/03 - 5.0 - 9:07/m - 143 bpm

Total: 8.0/135

2017 PR's
    5K - 10/07 - 23:37 - 5K Jared Coons Pumpkin Run
    8K - 10/01 - 40:24 - 8K WWI Museum Double run (5K-25:53/3K-15:01)
    10K - 09/16 - 52:01 - 10K Kade Meyer Celebration Run
    HM - 11/19 - 1:53:39 HM Pilgrim Pacer
    2018 Races
    04/21 - Garmin Marathon in the Land of Oz (1st Full)... The year of the Dorothy
    More races TBD
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    01/01/18 - 3 miles
    01/02/18 - 4 miles
    01/03/18 - 4 miles

MTD: 11 miles
    JAN GOAL: 80 miles

YTD: 11 miles
    2018 GOAL: 1000 miles

Upcoming (and hopeful) Races:
    02/10/18 - Mardi Crawl 10k
    04/14/18 - Rattler Mad Moose 10k (Trail)
    06/02/18 - Gluten free Gallop 5k (hubby and daughter have Celiac so this one's personal)
    06/23/18 - Slacker Half Marathon
    07/xx/18 - Something on a trail TBD
    09/23/18 - Xterra Mountain 8k (Trail)
    10/28/18 - Kooky Spooky 10k
    11/xx/18 - A Turkey Trot 5k of some sort TBD

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @LaurenFOB2301 Have you thought about adding weight/strength training?

I had more success when I did TDEE instead of MFP/eat back calories. For me I find it easier just to be like here's how many calories you can eat each day/week. Then if I go over one day I can still look at my week and adjust accordingly. I never liked the eating back calories thing.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Oh, this is cool! Thanks to whoever shared it!

o7yrb8sxrg21.png
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @elise4270 it was definitely the machine and thankfully not a pipe. I shop vac'd the rug and I'll worry about the washer over the weekend.

My washing machine broke today too @skippygirlsmom. In my case it started smoking and set off the smoke detector. I am hanging out at the laundromat tonight...

Is it a Samsung? There's a known issue with that...

Nope, it's just old - one of those stacked apartment style units, around 12 years old, and other stuff has been failing on it recently too (but easier to diagnose/repair). We are thinking we might as well just replace it, possibly with a full sized stacking washer/dryer set. There's been a lot of bedding washed lately as my oldest is prone to accidents whenever his routine changes or he's sick - both of which accurately describe winter break! Pretty sure we overloaded it one too many times.