JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,689 Member
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    I guess I should say a little something about myself. I love this thread! I'm the mom of a 4 month old looking to lose weight. Currently 151 lbs, would like to be 129 lbs. (I'm 5'2".) And I'm in California.

Oooo I have a 4m old! When was he/she born? Xx

Congratulations!! He was born February 20th. When was yours born?

She was born 26th! Called her Casey

I didn't join this group until the end of March, I didn't realize Casey was born on the 26th. I have a Godson and a niece both born on that date. 31 and 32 years ago though LOL

LOL yeah she was due 1st March but I got her induced on the 26th.

All 3 kids have been at my parents last night, hardest was leaving Casey for the first time but she’s been good as gold and slept through for them!
    Can’t wait to get her back! She should be home in half an hour!
    And I suppose I miss the other kids too (haha course I do)

LOL of course you miss them. My MIL took my first for the night when she was 3 weeks old. Looking back on it now I don't know how I allowed that to happen, but I really think it was good for me. I kept my grandson for the night for the first time when he was about 3 weeks to give my daughter a chance to have a full nights sleep. My girls used to be gone to grandparents and aunts houses for sleepovers constantly. When we moved to Alberta I found it an adjustment to have them all the time LOL
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    I think I've come to realize that anger at my coworkers is the emotion that causes me to eat my feelings. I'm p!ssed at one of them and there's a whole tray of chocolate chip cookies that are totally calling my name. But I will fight the urge and make myself a cup of coffee and drink my water.
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    @AJB1014 Look at all those smiles!!!! Woohoo!! That is an awesome accomplishment!

We also had a serious sit down talk about money. I told him what I needed from him as my husband and partner and I told him what my plans were. I had him look over the budget I had created and he really actually looked it over. Like he actually examined it which he had never done before…at least not seriously. He didn’t change anything because I’ve gotten pretty good at it though.

@toaljasa I actually got him to agree to sit down and watch the FPU videos too! I think that that will really help too! I also ordered an envelope system wallet too. That will make life so much easier so that I’m not juggling all these envelopes and risk losing them. Lol.

Shower/Teeth/Face

Send me your address. I have a wallet system that I would have been happy to give you, lol!

It really helps when both parties are on board. I manage our incoming money and I go over it with the hubs so that he will know if there's an area that we need to not spend so much on or an extra bill that has come due, etc. The other thing I do is to enter in my spending every day or every other day. This helps me to know just how much I have in grocery, etc. and not take a guess. Plus I'd rather sit down and do entries for 5-10 minutes than an hour or two. :) I love seeing the money grow in savings categories :)
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    @HGSmith0920 - Thanks! And hang in there with the cravings! Water water water! Good job!
  • toaljasa

I went out yesterday and learned to "sell", we went to about 20 different locations and introduced ourselves and told them about our company. Every site we went to has had some theft so they know at least Security might help them. Next Tuesday the guy is coming again to teach me some more. I think it went Ok yesterday, and I learned that if I do sell some services I will be getting a commission/bonus on the sales. Too bad they hadn't told me that earlier I might have been a little more interested in trying this LOL.

Wow, that is courageous...getting out of your comfort zone. It's so easy for some people. Good for you for giving it a solid try.
  • toaljasa
    I think I've come to realize that anger at my coworkers is the emotion that causes me to eat my feelings. I'm p!ssed at one of them and there's a whole tray of chocolate chip cookies that are totally calling my name. But I will fight the urge and make myself a cup of coffee and drink my water.

How are you doing? Is eating that cookie going to hurt your co-worker? Nope, but it will certainly trip you up. I have no idea if your anger is justified (out of pure loyalty I will say darn tootin' it is!) but I do know that anger only negatively affects the situation.

And whatever you do, DON'T EAT THE COOKIE!!! (or anymore if you have!)

onjpufbov9fv.png
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I was reading this article this morning about "Growth mindset vs. Fixed minset" and I thought this little excerpt could very well be applied to all of us trying to better ourselves here!

"What it all comes down to is that a mindset is an interpretative process that tells us what is going on around us. In the fixed mindset, that process is scored by an internal monologue of constant judging and evaluation, using every piece of information as evidence either for or against such assessments as whether you’re a good person, whether your partner is selfish, or whether you are better than the person next to you. In a growth mindset, on the other hand, the internal monologue is not one of judgment but one of voracious appetite for learning, constantly seeking out the kind of input that you can metabolize into learning and constructive action."

Here is the full article;
    https://mailchi.mp/brainpickings/midweek-pick-me-up-fixed-vs-growth-the-two-basic-mindsets-that-shape-our-lives?e=ed6dcbc174

And here is the website with tons of great articles of a similar nature;
    https://www.brainpickings.org/
  • HGSmith0920
    @toaljasa I passed up on the cookies! I've pretty much beat the craving back with a cup of coffee. Have me a bit of sweet with about a 1/4 of the calories. Lol. Plus I find coffee super comforting. Only 2.5 hours left! And we're getting breaks tomorrow! About fricken time! Lol.

My manager just came in to visit so we've been catching up with her. I miss you so so much. She livens up the place.
  • HGSmith0920
    @AJB1014 That excerpt is totally true! I think I might see if my DH will sit down with me once a week or once every two weeks to talk about our strengths and weakness or something similar. To try and better ourselves and our marriage. One of our biggest strengths in our marriage is our level of communication. I think it's time to put it to good use since yesterday went so well.

I have the rest of my list to do tonight, the main thing is the shipping trip... Problem is the store is 30 minutes away and I know the DH won't go with me because it's about a 1 minute trip from his work. So he won't want to come home and then go back down an hour or two later. I don't trust him to go in his own either and I have the money. Lol.

I hope everyone is having a good day!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Something of a disastrous day! Started badly as the kitten woke me at 2!! But I worked out, took two v excited little girls to school then did hot yoga and had a nice coffee after. Got home and got a stressful work call and totally mindlessly ATE ALL THE FOOD! :(

Sorted my head out with a good walk up to collect the girls and took them out to a cafe for a treat (obvs none for me!) and had a lovely time with them so thought maybe the day could be rescued.

Left them happy with the childminder, fed, clean, in PJs and tired and got on the tube to meet my friend. Had walked off the stuffed feeling and was in good spirits although v v tired by this point. Then the train got stuck. Severe then critical delays. Stuck underground for an hour! Was sending messages to my friend but it turns out she left her phone at home. Her husband got in touch eventually to explain. After waiting so long she not surprisingly went home. And I’m now trying to get home on a bus.

My commitment right now (declaring publicly):
    - I will not get home and eat my feelings
    - I will not go home and eat nothing at all as I do still need something and if I restrict I won’t fuel my morning workout tomorrow
    - I will have a healthy protein shake, and go to bed.
    - I will draw a line under this and remember my girls had a great day and that was the main thing from this bonus day off!

But still.... :s:'(
  • Faebert
    Wednesday goals
    - morning workout ✅
    - April challenge :| must try harder
    - May challenge ✅
    - June challenge :( see above
    - Hot yoga in am ✅
    - Gardening at lunchtime :/
    - Meet friend for a drink tonight (not really drinking alcohol much these days but will have a glass of red if I feel like it so need to leave calorie room for it!) Hahahahaha!

Goals for Thursday
    - morning workout
    - April challenge
    - May challenge
    - June challenge
    - Batch cooking
    - Stay late and start assessment data inputs
    - Early night
  • Snowflake1968
    Faebert wrote: »
    Something of a disastrous day! Started badly as the kitten woke me at 2!! But I worked out, took two v excited little girls to school then did hot yoga and had a nice coffee after. Got home and got a stressful work call and totally mindlessly ATE ALL THE FOOD! :(

Sorted my head out with a good walk up to collect the girls and took them out to a cafe for a treat (obvs none for me!) and had a lovely time with them so thought maybe the day could be rescued.

Left them happy with the childminder, fed, clean, in PJs and tired and got on the tube to meet my friend. Had walked off the stuffed feeling and was in good spirits although v v tired by this point. Then the train got stuck. Severe then critical delays. Stuck underground for an hour! Was sending messages to my friend but it turns out she left her phone at home. Her husband got in touch eventually to explain. After waiting so long she not surprisingly went home. And I’m now trying to get home on a bus.

- I will not go home and eat nothing at all as I do still need something and if I restrict I won’t fuel my morning workout tomorrow
    - I will draw a line under this and remember my girls had a great day and that was the main thing from this bonus day off!

That was a real roller coaster of a day. Sorry you didn't get to meet your friend, that would make me sad too.
  • Snowflake1968
    I have to say this because I am shocked! One of the things I was taught yesterday was to follow up the short introductions with an email thanking the potential client for taking the time out of their busy day to listen to what we had to say.

This morning (after I caught up on JFT) I sent out emails to the ones we were able to get business cards for yesterday. I felt like I was being pushy and that is one of the things I hate about selling, but I was told to do it so I did it.

Lo and behold 2, count them 2 potentials came back to me and asked for quotes for services! This is huge! I was totally amazed. I have worked in this industry in this city for 20 years and have witnessed managers come and go saying you can't get business with cold calls here. You need to win bids. I'm super excited to think this might work! I'm going to head out now and try to get some more brochures and business cards dropped off!
  • Faebert
    I have to say this because I am shocked! One of the things I was taught yesterday was to follow up the short introductions with an email thanking the potential client for taking the time out of their busy day to listen to what we had to say.

This morning (after I caught up on JFT) I sent out emails to the ones we were able to get business cards for yesterday. I felt like I was being pushy and that is one of the things I hate about selling, but I was told to do it so I did it.

Lo and behold 2, count them 2 potentials came back to me and asked for quotes for services! This is huge! I was totally amazed. I have worked in this industry in this city for 20 years and have witnessed managers come and go saying you can't get business with cold calls here. You need to win bids. I'm super excited to think this might work! I'm going to head out now and try to get some more brochures and business cards dropped off!

That’s so exciting! I used to hate the whole pitching/selling part of the job in my old career too. But I think sometimes people actually respond better to someone who isn’t a super confident salesperson. You’d be far more likely to give your business to someone more restrained but trustworthy, than a slick salesperson who is all talk and no action.

Hope both the quotes translate into some business for you x
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2018
    So many posts!

@Faebert Once again I am filled with admiration for you after reading one of your posts. You had a day that was a mess in places but managed to focus on the essentials of your daughters' pleasure. They are very lucky to have you. A shame about your friend. :(

@HGSmith0920 I tend to "mad" eat too...very nice job resisting the cookies!

@AJB1014 Thank you for the article, I'm going to read the whole thing this evening.

@Snowflake1968 I have had a job before that involved going into businesses to sell, and it's not easy but it definitely gets easier the more that you do it. I am a naturally shy person, so if I can do it, I am confident you can master this. Good luck! And also good luck finding the balance. It's nice to hear that your life is overflowing with good things, but I get how that can squeeze out the "you" time.

@slittlemeister I feel your pain. There was a five year period in which I went through THREE laptops (two of them Dells, LOL.) Sounds like you will enjoy having a new one once you get past the pain in the butt parts, though. I hope your data is recoverable!

Edit to add: Just saw your update Snowflake! Congratulations and great job! Fingers crossed for you.
  • JFT: Stay in the green (1500 calories)
    Do calisthenics (20 minutes)
    Do running workout (12 minutes)

I didn't stay in the green but I was still pleased with my calories. I only did half the time for calisthenics. I did my running workout plus went for a walk!

Today's JFT:
    Stay in the green.
    Do something active.

I enjoy reading all your discussions. This is such a supportive thread with lots of useful information shared!
  • HGSmith0920
    Well I managed to say no to the cookies for the rest of the day AND said no to the Wawa(convenience store) run that my mind tried very hard to convince me to do. It was telling me 'stop for coffee' but I resisted by saying I have coffee at home. I knew that if I stopped I would have gotten an arm full of crap. I got home and grabbed the last beer I'm going to have for about 2 weeks. I made virtually the same thing for dinner that I made both of us for lunch. Luckily the DH didn't care. He'll eat whatever I make. Lol. But I was so hungry that I scarfed down my food. I have about 250c left and Im trying to decide if I'm really still hungry or if I ate so fast that my stomach didn't have time to catch up. Lol.

It's been about 10 minutes and I think I'm not hungry. I have to go food shopping in about an hour though. So I might eat something then but for the moment I'm okay.

Anyway, sorry for my ramble! Lol
  • toaljasa
    Faebert wrote: »

Best laid plans, and all that. I'm so very sorry. This is when you want to cry out, "I GET A DO-OVER!" I want to point out something that you skimmed right over: Sorted my head out with a good walk up to collect the girls and took them out to a cafe for a treat (obvs none for me!) and had a lovely time with them so thought maybe the day could be rescued.

You used your walk to "sort your head." You could have built up guilt, frustration, failure...but instead you used it to reset. Also, don't assume that it was all that obvious to not have a treat. Because you used the walk to reset, your resistance was recharged. You may have even given yourself a little pep talk about what you will do next time you get a stressful call, along with a good finger pointing ("you will not have a treat...you treated yourself enough today, woman!) But if you had not used that time during your walk to reset you very well could have joined in the treat eats at the cafe.

You had an opportunity to take control of the situation and you DID! That took strength and oodles of self control.

What about the rest of it? It was completely out of your control. There was not a wrong turn, a bad decision, it was just LIFE. And LIFE HAPPENS, right? It doesn't do us a bit of good taking the frustration out on food.

And look what you did next. You got on here and declared yourself and showed both your vulnerability and your determination. You had a plan. And you reached back into the day and salvaged it by seeing the goodness that came out of it.

You really did well and I will hopefully use this when I find myself smack dab in the middle of LIFE.

Peace and joy.

(And I will refrain from telling you to have a good time on your night out next time, lololol)

• Michaela_LaGata
    Michaela_LaGata Posts: 117 Member

Good for you exercising the resistance and hope muscles. I'm using Beck diet solutions..not about food restrictions but the head stuff... talking back to thoughts.
    re Framing the issue like wanting to eat and it's not time. Its CBT.
    Hope it helps.
    ONWARD!