JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Replies

• toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    toaljasa wrote: »
    I'm deffo spending too much time on here. I just had to ask my partner what we call "soda" in the UK..

What do you call it? I grew up calling it "pop". Then I moved to Wisconsin as a teenager and everyone here called it soda. My mom still calls it pop. :smile:

In Texas (maybe the south?) we call it coke, as in "Let's go get a Coke!" Now you could get an actual Coca-cola, but you might also get a Dr. Pepper, Sprite, etc. It's like asking for a band-aid when you actually have a Curad. or Zip-loc bag when you actually have a Great Value one. When we moved out of the region it was confusing to people...I'd say, "Let's go get a Coke." "Well, I don't like Coke but I'll go with you and order a Sprite..." so I just started calling it pop.

Yeah I thought this, I normally just say which one I'm going to get (omg really want a Dr pepper right now) but I couldn't think what the collective term in the UK was LOL!

When we moved to Belgium we were on the hunt for Dr. Pepper. It was not in any of our local grocery stores. One of our sons was extremely partial to it and was just about having withdrawls, lol. One day, after being there for about three months, we spent the day in Antwerp. We were strolling by a "night store" when he spied a Dr. Pepper in the refrigerator case...not even near the window, lol! We dashed in and bought all they had...less than ten. We were so excited---you would have thought we had found gold, haha!!!

Dr. Pepper has recently started making some batches with pure cane sugar, as opposed to corn syrup (this was how it was originally made). Wow! It is delicious! I can't have it in my house...I would drink three a day. (don't know if it will show up where you live, but it's packaged in a green box ;)
  • kaimbf123
    kaimbf123 Posts: 182 Member
    JULY 23 GOALS:

🔲 Stick to shake/supplement plan
    🔲 Stay at my calorie goal (ideally 1500 calories *or under* but up to 1600)
    🔲 Workout
  • toaljasa
    We are in our last full week of July! This month has swooshed by me. Let's really do a heave ho and make these last 9 days count! Review your monthly goals, focus, dig in, and let's say good-bye to this month on a high note.

What steps are you going to take today, that will impact your future?
    7f2tp7er5b9v.png
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,724 Member
    Just for Saturday, 7/21:
    :star: Journal every bite
    :star: Be in the present moment today / unplug except for MFP
    :naughty: Find one new healthy recipe to try this weekend
    :star: 1 lb veggies / 2 servings fruit
    :naughty: Be patient and kind
    :star: Listen to "listen", not to respond / do not interrupt
    :naughty: Low impact activity - 15 minutes
    :star: Becks Diet Solution Day 8 / Read Advantages cards / Make new Advantages cards for situations
    :star: Mark some tasks off of my to-do list
    :star: Gratitude journal / :star: Simple Abundance daily reading / :naughty: update bullet journal
    :wink: Get up early again tomorrow

Monthly Challenge(s): :smile: Water / :smile: Self Care / :smile: Mindfulness / :smile: Planning

Tiny Habits:
    :star: After I get dressed, I will eat breakfast.
    :naughty: After a commercial comes on the TV, I will get off my butt and move.

Yesterday was like a rollercoaster emotionally. I did not remain patient. I tried, but my buttons really got pushed and I blew up. I felt horrible afterwards. I tend to keep my mouth shut and try to keep the peace all the time...but when I have had enough, then I have REALLY had enough. Everything is fine now, and I guess I'm glad I made it through the day and night without chowing down on ice cream. How's THAT for "glass is half full" thinking? :mrgreen:

Spent most of the afternoon today on the couch with a heating pad. My DH went with me to Walmart to pick up a few things, but 5 minutes into the store I was limping. I sure hope I hear news about my MRI's tomorrow and I hope it's an easy fix! :smirk:

Just for Sunday:
    Journal every bite
    Stay in the green
    Beck Diet Solution Day 9 / read Advantage cards / make new ones as needed
    Pack tomorrow's B/L/Snack for work tomorrow and pre-log it
    Pick out tomorrow's clothes and make sure they are ironed and ready to go.
    Me time: Mani/Pedi or bubble bath? Yoga DVD? Plant perennials? Body Groove dance workout? (Pick one)
    Update bullet journal with this week's tasks
    Unplugged by 8:00 / Gratitude journal / Simple Abundance daily reading / Podcasts
    Read a book until lights out at 10pm
    Up early tomorrow with NO SNOOZE ALARM!

Monthly Challenge(s): Water / Self Care / Mindfulness / Planning

Tiny Habits:
    After I get dressed, I will eat breakfast.
    After a commercial comes on the TV, I will get off my butt and move.

I used to do that whole holding it in routine too. I have learned over that last few years it's better to say what I think at the time. Not only for everyone else's safety, but for my sanity. It was a hard thing to change about myself and I still revert sometimes, but it's much better.
  • toaljasa
    JFT, 7/23
    Set a reminder with Alexa for 815pm that kitchen closes at 8:30.
    Drink 6-8 cups water---have slacked off on this
    walk on tread mill
    strength training
    pre-log all food, modify as needed
    Quilt!

Peace and joy!
  • Snowflake1968
    jeschepp wrote: »
    Ten pounds down! Very proud of that, especially since this was such an off week, with a couple of unexpected splurges. I definitely noticed some signs of my body thinning out this week. Here's to keeping healthy habits going! This week I'm going out of town to visit a friend for a few days. Any tips for staying healthy while traveling? I think this will be a great challenge for me since I've had the foundation set over the last 5 weeks.

For today:
    Start planning for next week's trip ✅
    Prep for Monday workday-going to after this
    Do maximum pushups able :(
    30 minutes exercise ✅
    Track food and exercise ✅
    Eat all servings of 5 food groups ✅
    Meet 1200-1400 net calories, counting exercise ✅
    Water challenge-80 oz. ✅
    Post here for accountability ✅

For tomorrow:
    Get all paperwork in
    Start packing for trip
    Do maximum pushups able
    30 minutes exercise
    Track food and exercise
    Eat all servings of 5 food groups
    Meet 1200-1400 net calories, counting exercise
    Water challenge-80 oz.
    Post here for accountability

Weigh in:
    Week 0: 190
    Week 1: 187.6
    Week 2: 187.8
    Week 3: 185.6
    Week 4: 182.2
    Week 5: 179.5-ten pounds down! 30 to go :)

Woohoooooo! 10 pounds is awesome!
  • Snowflake1968
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    I am SO far behind again reading posts! This is such a active thread ... I LOVE it!!

I had a wonderful time with our son and grandsons, and our sons girlfriend. They seem so very happy. I do worry about it being so close to his divorce, but he said he didn't plan on meeting anyone this soon ... it just happened. So I am happy for him, and we had a wonderful time.

Our daughter didn't come out until this morning. Last nite after everyone was out she came out, and just started crying. My heart about broke. She is so sad. She would not tell my why she was crying, but I convinced her to come out this morning. She gets high anxiety meeting new people, but she liked our sons new girlfriend.

Tonite I helped her clean her apartment... and found out her toilet plugged again - and it was plugged all weekend. She didn't want to tell me because our son was in town. She called the apartment complex ... they just told her not to flush it, don't put any toilet paper in, and wait till Monday. So her apartment smelled SO bad ... I felt so bad for her. WHO can go for an entire weekend and not be able to flush a toilet, much less use a trashcan for the toilet paper. SO you know where I will be tomorrow ... having a word with the apartment complex. They need to get this fixed ASAP! But ... I got it unplugged, we cleaned the entire apartment, so hopefully my dear daughter can get a good nites sleep.

Now... its time for me to get back on track. I did OK until today. I had everyone over for breakfast ... and I made a blueberry french toast, and a apple french toast. All carbs! Most of it was left (I also had bacon, eggs, waffles, sausage, etc). So today was a day of eating leftovers ... which meant eating crap all day long.

SO tomorrow is back on track! I turned 67 on Friday, and I want to stay as young/healthy/active as I can. And I know that means I need to get into a normal, healthy weight.... 15 -20 pounds off.

My husband bought me a instapot Pressure cooker/slow cooker machine .... so does anyone have any ideas of how to use it? LOL!! I am looking for recipes, and hoping this will help me with meals. Apparently the pressure cooker part is suppose to good meat in short amount of time?

SO JFT, MONDay
    1. LOG all FOOD
    2. concentrate on water
    3. skipping the gym tomorrow .... but try and get a walk in after dinner
    4. mindful eat
    5. get out beck diet solution -- start over on chapter 1!!

Oh... and here is a picture of me, my husband, and one of our little grandsons! -- If we look tired, this is after a full day at Six Flags!!!
    t7ntqo4hx9er.jpg

I don't understand how any landlord could think that was an acceptable answer to a plugged toilet especially given the history of her plumbing issues. I don't think they have any right to say anything to your daughter when they aren't fixing the problem.

Thanks so much for sharing a picture! I love being able to put a face to a name. I am usually so far off base when left to my own imagination!
  • Snowflake1968
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    I'm deffo spending too much time on here. I just had to ask my partner what we call "soda" in the UK..

This is so funny ....!! I always knew it as "pop" growing up in Iowa! "Soda" to me meant pop with icecream in it! Here in Missouri, "pop" is called Soda.

In Canada we call it pop. I remember being a kid and obviously watching American TV I thought I would be "sophisticated" and asked for a soda. I was furious when they put vanilla ice cream in my orange pop. My Mom was horrified I was behaving so terribly about it, when that is what I asked for. That's a memory I had forgotten about.
  • toaljasa
    @jeschepp Hooray for you! That is a huge accomplishment. Staying focused on the process truly helps you see progress. Keep moving forward :)
    vyr34vonfjwb.png
  • PrincesseAly23
    PrincesseAly23 Posts: 440 Member
    @mytime6630 that is a beautiful picture! You look so good! And happy belated bday BTW!

That’s terrible about your daughters apartment! I hope you give those people a piece of your mind!
    I’d be furious.

Im still here and I check in every now and then. I just don’t post as much anymore. Life has been a bit intense lately. *hugs to you all!
  • Snowflake1968
    Well, I've had a great morning! Got up at 6, spent some time reading my bible, had two cups of coffee and did a 26 min yoga video. It's been forever since I've done one and I think I may have tweaked something in my hip but well see how it feels as the day goes on and I spend time walking around.

@Bex953172 Thank you for the kind words! My parents gave us some nondrowsy allergy stuff that has worked in the past(I think! Lol). So I took some of that this morning and I'll give some to the DH when he wakes up. I'm hoping it works and that he'll feel good enough tonight to do a few things with me.

It's nice to see your day has started off better than yesterday. :)
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,059 Member
    Not had the best day up to now.

Had an okay breakfast, low calorie.

Lunch my partner got me a Steak Pasty from Greggs. He said he asked the gentlemen on the counter how many calories it had and the guy said just over 150. My partner doesn't check things like that and why would the guy lie right?
    Anyway logged it, it's 400.
    And.it was small, and then I was in a rush to collect Saskia from nursery and my partners pizza had just come out the oven. I was SO hungry that I had 3 slices. There's another 300 cals.
    And it just wasn't satisfying at all. I'm still very hungry. It didn't even touch the sides.

Anyway so now I'm left with about 200ish calories and I've got dinner to have. I will be exercising later (annoyed about this too because its like as soon as I decide to do something physical the humidity just sky rockets!)
    The lounge is a mess. The kitchen is a mess. I don't know where to start.
    But I'm so determined to achieve my goals today.

I'm ALSO pretty sad because the nursery manager rang me earlier after I had got home.
    And told me they got the amount of free funding wrong and she was meant to finish on the 9th July. So as of today she can't come back (apart from graduation day).

So today was her last day :( I wanted to bake cakes for her and all her friends and for the staff to say a proper goodbye and now I cant. She just left as if it was any other day.

*sigh*
  • Snowflake1968
    We are in our last full week of July! This month has swooshed by me. Let's really do a heave ho and make these last 9 days count! Review your monthly goals, focus, dig in, and let's say good-bye to this month on a high note.

7f2tp7er5b9v.png

I was thinking this morning that I can't believe that July is almost over. Funnily enough I am struggling making any steps today. Standing and dancing on pavement last night to watch The Beach Boys has me moving like a turtle through molasses today!
  • Snowflake1968
    JFT - Sunday July 22
    2L of Water - :)
    Today is relaxed day for calories, but will try to stay in maintenance - :) I'm going to say yes, because of all of the activity last night. We arrived at the fair at 7 and I didn't sit from the time I got out of the car until I got back in at 1130. From 830-11 was dancing and the rest was walking! I resisted all of the fair food except for a handmade root beer freezer pop. Root Beer popsicles used to be my favourite but you can't find them here anymore. I bought one for way too much money but I couldn't even finish it all it was soooo sweet!
    Outside 15 Minutes - :)
    No Exercise - :) Pretty hard to fail at this one.... "Oh No! You exercised! Just what are we going to do with you young lady"?

JFT - Monday July 23
    2L of Water
    Calories in Green by 150
    Outside 15 Minutes
    Walk/Swim/Yoga? I'm in a lot of pain so we'll see how this goes
    Going to get a nail fixed and meet the young lady I might be joining for work.

What a busy day yesterday! I met a friend for coffee at 8, came home and made a big breakfast for Lauryn and the kids. We cleaned up from that then we went for the dress shopping. Poor Jonah had to go with us until Grampie could rescue him from the estrogen, as my DH put it.

I was pleasantly surprised. 5 girls agreed on the style in about 1 hour! One girl that is not in the picture was video chatting from a bridal store a couple provinces away. I don't think the biscotti colour is going to be perfect on all of the girls but it's what Kaitlyn wants and they all said it's her day.

After the dress shopping we went out for a late lunch/early dinner. We chose a restaurant that had lots of variety on the menu to accommodate all of the different tastes. We were the only people in the restaurant when we arrived and the service was terrible! I had promised Michaela a treat and I had to go back towards the kitchen to find someone so I could order a scoop of ice cream for her. She then tried to bring the bills without even asking if anyone wanted anything else and the girls had wanted dessert. Our food took almost an hour to arrive after ordering and we had to tell the waitress we wanted to pay. Just terrible service.

Lauryn and I took Michaela home to leave with her Dad and her and I went to see the Beach Boys. This was a free concert with only gate admission to the fair. I was really impressed. Mike Love is 77 (I looked it up) and they played for an hour and a half straight without a break. Mike Love's son sang a few of the songs. They showed old video of their performances from yesteryear on the big screens. It was pretty cool.

Jonah spent the night at our house last night. He was quite impressed that Grampie would be keeping him. "Grampie sleeps a lot so it will be like I have the house to myself". This morning on our way in for me to take him home. He said "Grampie only slept for a little bit once". I said, "while he was watching the race"? Jonah said, "yeah, watching the race with his eyes closed." Jonah has caught onto Grampie's tricks already LOL

• Snowflake1968

Lunch my partner got me a Steak Pasty from Greggs. He said he asked the gentlemen on the counter how many calories it had and the guy said just over 150. My partner doesn't check things like that and why would the guy lie right?
    And.it was small, and then I was in a rush to collect Saskia from nursery and my partners pizza had just come out the oven. I was SO hungry that I had 3 slices. There's another 300 cals.
    And it just wasn't satisfying at all. I'm still very hungry. It didn't even touch the sides.

Anyway so now I'm left with about 200ish calories and I've got dinner to have. I will be exercising later (annoyed about this too because its like as soon as I decide to do something physical the humidity just sky rockets!)

I'm ALSO pretty sad because the nursery manager rang me earlier after I had got home.
    And told me they got the amount of free funding wrong and she was meant to finish on the 9th July. So as of today she can't come back (apart from graduation day).

So today was her last day :( I wanted to bake cakes for her and all her friends and for the staff to say a proper goodbye and now I cant. She just left as if it was any other day.

*sigh*

Oh what a shame, can you bake the cakes and go visit for an hour or so so she can say her good byes?
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,059 Member

*sigh*

Oh what a shame, can you bake the cakes and go visit for an hour or so so she can say her good byes?

I might just do it for graduation day, she gets to go in at 9am.they have a party, they then have the graduation ceremony which we go watch and that takes us to about 3pm. So I light do just some chocolate crispy cakes for them all!
  • jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    @jeschepp Hooray for you! That is a huge accomplishment. Staying focused on the process truly helps you see progress. Keep moving forward :)
    vyr34vonfjwb.png

Thank you! Thanks everybody. This is such an up and down journey it’s really nice to see those moments when the work actually pays off :smiley:
  • toaljasa

7f2tp7er5b9v.png

I was thinking this morning that I can't believe that July is almost over. Funnily enough I am struggling making any steps today. Standing and dancing on pavement last night to watch The Beach Boys has me moving like a turtle through molasses today!

When I am in slow mode, I try and accomplish one thing just for today that will push my health forward. It might be that I get all 8 cups water in, or that I walk fifteen minutes out and fifteen back. Anything so that I can say at the end of the day, I have moved forward. Just concentrate on doing one thing that will move you one step closer to your goal! I am having a heck of a day myself...and no BB to blame it on, lol! So, let's encourage each other...let's get back on here and share the one thing we've done to make progress.

Hope the BB were great!

Peace and joy.
  • toaljasa
    @Bex953172 As someone who has taught all grades over the years from preschool to high school and have received all kinds of thank you gifts...the ones I cherish and still have are the thank you notes, especially the ones that took a bit of time to write instead of a generic thank you. Perhaps Saskia can draw a lovely picture and you can write a thank you to the teacher(s) and give it at graduation. And while you might be planning to do this anyway, in addition to the crisps, I'm just saying, you can skip the sweets,lol!