JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    toaljasa wrote: »
    @Bex953172 As someone who has taught all grades over the years from preschool to high school and have received all kinds of thank you gifts...the ones I cherish and still have are the thank you notes, especially the ones that took a bit of time to write instead of a generic thank you. Perhaps Saskia can draw a lovely picture and you can write a thank you to the teacher(s) and give it at graduation. And while you might be planning to do this anyway, in addition to the crisps, I'm just saying, you can skip the sweets,lol!

Thank you so much! It's nice to hear it from an actual teacher what they like lol! I can imagine the generic thank yous get a bit samey over the years yet a hand written thank you stands out so much more and is much more memorable with the time put in to do it like you say!
    Thank you :)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,738 Member
    Options
    We are in our last full week of July! This month has swooshed by me. Let's really do a heave ho and make these last 9 days count! Review your monthly goals, focus, dig in, and let's say good-bye to this month on a high note.

What steps are you going to take today, that will impact your future?
    7f2tp7er5b9v.png

I was thinking this morning that I can't believe that July is almost over. Funnily enough I am struggling making any steps today. Standing and dancing on pavement last night to watch The Beach Boys has me moving like a turtle through molasses today!

When I am in slow mode, I try and accomplish one thing just for today that will push my health forward. It might be that I get all 8 cups water in, or that I walk fifteen minutes out and fifteen back. Anything so that I can say at the end of the day, I have moved forward. Just concentrate on doing one thing that will move you one step closer to your goal! I am having a heck of a day myself...and no BB to blame it on, lol! So, let's encourage each other...let's get back on here and share the one thing we've done to make progress.

Hope the BB were great!

Peace and joy.

I will update later tonight to let you know what I did. I have been making myself move a bit more at work today because I find sitting never helps when I'm already stiff and sore.

I was quite impressed with the Beach Boys they of course didn't move like they used to, but the music was still great and they kept it upbeat the whole time. They played the first 5 songs without even a break of a minute in between. Then Mike Love gave a little talk. He started it off saying what a great audience, etc, then he said "Well, we're ready for a little intermission, I mean nap" then they just played one of their slower numbers.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,738 Member
    Options
    @Bex953172 As someone who has taught all grades over the years from preschool to high school and have received all kinds of thank you gifts...the ones I cherish and still have are the thank you notes, especially the ones that took a bit of time to write instead of a generic thank you. Perhaps Saskia can draw a lovely picture and you can write a thank you to the teacher(s) and give it at graduation. And while you might be planning to do this anyway, in addition to the crisps, I'm just saying, you can skip the sweets,lol!

Funny you should say that, my Grandmother taught in the one room school days. She retired the year I was born and they had built the first school that had separate grades. She was given cups and saucers, salt and pepper shakers, beautiful serving bowls, etc. I remember as a young girl she would tell me which student had given her which item. My girls and I have a lot of these now and I wish I would know which students gave what :)
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options

Funny you should say that, my Grandmother taught in the one room school days. She retired the year I was born and they had built the first school that had separate grades. She was given cups and saucers, salt and pepper shakers, beautiful serving bowls, etc. I remember as a young girl she would tell me which student had given her which item. My girls and I have a lot of these now and I wish I would know which students gave what :)

Some of my students would give me Christmas ornaments which I greatly appreciate because I can put them up each year and reminisce...and then take them back down again,lol. I have every one of them and I have written their names on them as well as the date. The other items, I just don't have room for. Your grandmother probably used those dishes and cups or perhaps she had a place to display them as a collection...whereas today, most of us have cupboards full. Of course, I was always very appreciative the effort behind every gift...I just didn't keep them all. And the sweet treats, lol! I'd take them home and have one maybe two bites and then give them to my kids to eat if they wanted them...I would have grown to the size of an elephant if I ate them all! But then I could let them know how tasty their gift was.

But really a sincere thank you note went the farthest as far as encouragement goes. One year when my oldest was 5 I felt like writing a thank you to my son's Sunday School teacher...it was in the middle of the year, there was no special reason. I think I let my son choose a key chain from the Dollar store...anyway, the next week the teacher stopped me and told me how much that simple note encouraged her. That morning she had decided to tell the leadership she would be stepping down as she didn't feel she was making an impact on the children. That simple note was all the boost she needed to let her know that she was making a difference.

• Bex953172
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    I'm deffo spending too much time on here. I just had to ask my partner what we call "soda" in the UK..

What do you call it? I grew up calling it "pop". Then I moved to Wisconsin as a teenager and everyone here called it soda. My mom still calls it pop. :smile:

In Texas (maybe the south?) we call it coke, as in "Let's go get a Coke!" Now you could get an actual Coca-cola, but you might also get a Dr. Pepper, Sprite, etc. It's like asking for a band-aid when you actually have a Curad. or Zip-loc bag when you actually have a Great Value one. When we moved out of the region it was confusing to people...I'd say, "Let's go get a Coke." "Well, I don't like Coke but I'll go with you and order a Sprite..." so I just started calling it pop.

Yeah I thought this, I normally just say which one I'm going to get (omg really want a Dr pepper right now) but I couldn't think what the collective term in the UK was LOL!

When we moved to Belgium we were on the hunt for Dr. Pepper. It was not in any of our local grocery stores. One of our sons was extremely partial to it and was just about having withdrawls, lol. One day, after being there for about three months, we spent the day in Antwerp. We were strolling by a "night store" when he spied a Dr. Pepper in the refrigerator case...not even near the window, lol! We dashed in and bought all they had...less than ten. We were so excited---you would have thought we had found gold, haha!!!

Dr. Pepper has recently started making some batches with pure cane sugar, as opposed to corn syrup (this was how it was originally made). Wow! It is delicious! I can't have it in my house...I would drink three a day. (don't know if it will show up where you live, but it's packaged in a green box ;)

I think generally the UK uses cane sugar and not corn syrup in our fizzy drinks. Not sure about the Dr pepper if that how it's originally made.
    I can't describe it but I can taste when I get one of the imported fizzy drinks like some bizarre flavour of Fanta and its made with corn syrup I can really taste the difference but can't describe it lol. I much prefer cane sugar.

Green box? Nope! Just get it as it is! Standard Dr Pepper logo!
  • Bex953172
    Options
    @toaljasa we should probably stop talking about Dr. Pepper now. I'm having some serious craving right here LOL!
  • toaljasa
    toaljasa Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm deffo spending too much time on here. I just had to ask my partner what we call "soda" in the UK..

What do you call it? I grew up calling it "pop". Then I moved to Wisconsin as a teenager and everyone here called it soda. My mom still calls it pop. :smile:

In Texas (maybe the south?) we call it coke, as in "Let's go get a Coke!" Now you could get an actual Coca-cola, but you might also get a Dr. Pepper, Sprite, etc. It's like asking for a band-aid when you actually have a Curad. or Zip-loc bag when you actually have a Great Value one. When we moved out of the region it was confusing to people...I'd say, "Let's go get a Coke." "Well, I don't like Coke but I'll go with you and order a Sprite..." so I just started calling it pop.

Yeah I thought this, I normally just say which one I'm going to get (omg really want a Dr pepper right now) but I couldn't think what the collective term in the UK was LOL!

When we moved to Belgium we were on the hunt for Dr. Pepper. It was not in any of our local grocery stores. One of our sons was extremely partial to it and was just about having withdrawls, lol. One day, after being there for about three months, we spent the day in Antwerp. We were strolling by a "night store" when he spied a Dr. Pepper in the refrigerator case...not even near the window, lol! We dashed in and bought all they had...less than ten. We were so excited---you would have thought we had found gold, haha!!!

Dr. Pepper has recently started making some batches with pure cane sugar, as opposed to corn syrup (this was how it was originally made). Wow! It is delicious! I can't have it in my house...I would drink three a day. (don't know if it will show up where you live, but it's packaged in a green box ;)

I think generally the UK uses cane sugar and not corn syrup in our fizzy drinks. Not sure about the Dr pepper if that how it's originally made.
    I can't describe it but I can taste when I get one of the imported fizzy drinks like some bizarre flavour of Fanta and its made with corn syrup I can really taste the difference but can't describe it lol. I much prefer cane sugar.

Green box? Nope! Just get it as it is! Standard Dr Pepper logo!

The first DP I had out of the green box I thought, "Wow, no aftertaste!" I didn't know DP had an aftertaste but after drinking it with pure cane sugar I realized Yes! It does! It's kind of a sweet/bitter taste...
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    @toaljasa we should probably stop talking about Dr. Pepper now. I'm having some serious craving right here LOL!

Dr Pepper is probably MY favorite soda too! Making me get cravings also! LOL!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    @mytime6630 You look fantastic! Looks like you were having a great time! I'm so happy you got to spend time with them. I'm happy for your son! When I got divorced, in my mind the marriage had been over for a very long time...so to me it didn't seem too soon to move on. Perhaps that is how he feels too? (HUGS)
  • Bex953172
    Options
    LOL all day I've been saying I realty want to achieve all my goals, I'm not sure I'll get it all done but I'm determined. After a quick look... I didn't post any goals. Hm.

SO
    My mental goals were

- Be in the green ✔️
    - Try avoid my "bad foods" ❓yes and no, avoided my typical ones (like bread and chocolate) but didn't avoid occasional ones (like pizza)
    - Exercise (45 min dance cardio)✔️
    - Drink 8 glasses of water✔️
    - Drop off all the paperwork for the school. ✔️

*Sigh of relief* I did it :)
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

It's been a day or two, hasn't it? Yesterday was a really good day, busy but good. There was a street festival in downtown. The DH and I got there around 10:30 to set up my Mom's booth. She had a doctors appointment so she was a little late. But we got it all carried over and set up for her. I then walked around for a bit with the DH and hung out with Mom. At 1:30 I went to my bank's table and hung out for a little while. The festival was supposed to be until 6 but it started to POUR so we all closed down at 4. Lol I spent a lot of time walking around a one block area. Lol. Proud of Mom too. She got a couple of sales and made her rent for August. I also got to pray for her because she was nervous and flustered. She calmed down after that. Lol. The DH and I then spent the rest of the night just hanging out.

I started listening to podcasts a few days ago. I found this hysterical one called "Drunks and Dragons" which is pretty much a group of friends playing Dungeons and Dragons while drinking. Lol. They aren't blatant about their drinking but you can definitely tell as the game goes on. Lol. So the DH and I listened to one of them and he was laughing a lot too.

We slept in until 11:15 this morning. We were going to go to church this morning but when the alarm went off I told the DH to turn it off and not reset it. I have no recollection of that. Lol. It felt good to spend some time in bed with him.

Right now I have laundry going and chicken in the crock that I was supposed to do yesterday. Lol.

So on to my list, I supposed :)

JFT, 7/22/18

1. Finish laundry :)
    2. DO THE DISHES :)
    3. No nap! :)
    4. Fold and put away laundry :#
    5. Clear off tables :)
    6. Watch Youtube/FPU videos :) / :(
    7. Hang out with the DH :|
    8. Shower by 9 :'(
    9. Tech off by 10 :#
    10. Bed by 11 :|

Tomorrow is a new day! Things will be better! So onward to goals!

JFT, 7/23/18

1. Up at 6 😁
    2. Quiet time😃
    3. YOGA😄😃😁😀
    4. Make lunches😀
    5. Work 815-515😀
    6. Dinner/Dishes😖
    7. FPU video(?)😀
    8. Shower by 9😒
    9. Tech off my 1015😑
    10. Bed by 11😎

Actually had a really good day. Work was uneventful but I got A LOT of the filing done. I'll finish it tomorrow and then start the next stage. I got up when I wanted to this morning and actually did my yoga. I think the stretching helped my back because it didn't hurt much today. I also may have tweaked something in my hip. We'll have to see how I feel in the morning. I guess I made myself a large lunch because I only ate about 2/3 of the salad and was full. I was actually really surprised that I couldn't finish it. Lol. The DH felt much much better when he got home. He was in the best mood I've seen him in weeks I think. We actually sat/laid down and watched the first Dave Ramsey video. He enjoyed it. So did I. Ended up just having some leftovers for dinner because the DH wasn't that hungry. I made him a large lunch as well. Didn't do the dishes.

It's now 10:18. I'm going to post goals for tomorrow and turn in for the night.

JFT, 7/24/18

1. Up @ 6
    2. Quiet time
    3. YOGA
    4. Make lunch
    5. Work 815-515
    6. Dinner/dishes
    7. FPU video/work on budget
    8. Tech off by 1015
    9. Bed by 11
  • kaimbf123
    kaimbf123 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    kaimbf123 wrote: »
    completion report

JULY 23 GOALS:
    ✅ Stick to shake/supplement plan
    ✅ Stay at my calorie goal (ideally 1500 calories *or under* but up to 1600)
    calories: 1577
    ✅Workout
    workout: 60 mins treadmill
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's commitments:

- Log everything I eat :smile:
    - Do exercise DVD :smile:
    - Be in the green without eating back exercise calories :neutral: Ate back 50 of them. Was hungry - 1340 is not a lot!
    - No Alcohol :smile:
    - 30+ minutes lunch break :smile:
    - Duolingo and French book :smile:
    - Food planning for week :neutral: Except lunch for Thu/Fri, need to do that
    - Lights off by 10.45 :neutral: By 11

Today's commitments:

- Log everything I eat
    - Stick to food plan
    - 3+ bottles water
    - No Alcohol

- 45 minutes lunch break
    - Duolingo and French book
    - Plan lunch for Thu/ Fri
    - Sort finances
    - Lights off by 10.45
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Had a kind of crappy sleep last night. Spent some time just laying there doing nothing. Lol. But I got up when the alarm went off like I wanted to! That's two days in a row! I did a yoga video and I'm pretty sore. Lol. This one was a weight loss/yoga video so there was a lot of body weight poses. I'm about to hop in the shower and get ready for work. I hope that everyone has a great day and I'll check in later!
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    JFT Monday Recap
    1. Mail notice to landlord :)
    2. Log all food :)
    3. Lots of water :)
    4. 10 Wall push ups/bathroom trip :) YAAAAAAAAAAAAY
    5. Cook dinner at home :)
    6. Popsicle instead of ice cream >:) Had a good lot of calories left at days end so ice cream it was!

JFT Tuesday
    1. Log all food
    2. Be kind
    3. Lots of water
    4. 10 Squats/bathroom trip
    5. Keep stress in check
    6. Cook dinner at home
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,479 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Recap M 7/23
    1) Walked dog before work / 3.15 mi 55:13 = happy dog B) & happy me B)
    2) Move hourly / stairs breaks at work = Fitbit 13,719 steps, 250+ steps 14/14 (boom!) & 39 floors :smiley:
    3) Meals & snacks prelogged / stick w/ plan / net calories green = Net calories -118, sodium green (yay), sugar -11, fiber & protein excellent, 11c water :neutral:
    4) To-do list in evening = brewed tea & refilled iced tea jug :smiley: / made hummingbird syrup & refilled all birdfeeders :smiley: / took out compost bucket :smiley: / misc :smile:
    5) Unplug 9:00 :smiley: just / floss :smiley: / retainers :smiley: / bed & TV off 10:15 :smiley: asleep by then :sleeping: (walk dog T before work)

JFT T 7/24
    1) Walked dog before work & saw fawn watch us coming down road / 3.45 mi 1:01:30 / stretched = happy dog B) & happy me B)
    2) Leftovers day / all meals & snacks prelogged / stick w/ plan & net calories green
    3) Move hourly stairs breaks at work
    4) At least 3 to-do's in evening
    5) Unplug 9:00 / floss / retainers / bed & TV off 10:15 (walk dog W before work)
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,479 Member
    Options
    Weekly Weigh-In = When I'm active I eat back calories. My weaknesses: I love food... my sweet tooth, especially chocolate... portion control... FOMO (Fear of Missing Out). I weigh myself daily and log weekly / posting my Saturday a.m. weigh-in here. [My digital scale only shows half pound increments & I'm too cheap to buy a fancier scale.] No goal dates set ~ as long as my trend is downward, I get there when I get there!

Age 60, 5'4.5"
    GW #1: 150 in a livable way = It's. Not. A. Diet.
    GW #2: 145 normal BMI
    UG maintain: 140 - 145 [anything less will be unsustainable]

11/5/15 = 195.0 joined MFP with no real plan except It's. Not. A. Diet.
    1/10/17 = 185.5 clearly not a regular on MFP / joined JFT, best group ever! :smiley:
    5/31/17 = 180.5 two end of month celebrations / committed to posting weekly weigh-in
    06/03 = 177.5
    06/10 = 179.5 pre-10K spaghetti supper night before
    06/17 = 179.5 numerous meals away from home, several occasions w/ alcohol, happy no gain
    06/24 = 178.0 fluctuated during week, but ended ok
    07/01 = 176.0 Yay!!! Achieved June goal to stay <180
    07/08 = 177.5 oops
    07/15 = 176.5
    07/22 = 175.0
    07/29 = 174.0 saw at least one daily w-i below 174
    08/05 = 174.5 dined out for Girls Day Out & ate Dad's cooking & baking
    08/12 = 173.5 scale flirted with even lower numbers on daily weigh-ins
    08/19 = 173.5 had couple of high calorie days
    08/26 = 172.0 kind of a surprise
    09/02/17 = 170.0 Woohoo! Officially overweight, not obese :smiley:
    09/09 = 171.5 backsliding, ack!
    09/16 = 169.5 yay, the middle number is a six!
    09/23 = 168.5 have lots challenges in upcoming week
    09/30 = 167.0 met Sept goal to stay under 170
    10/07 = 166.0
    10/14 = 166.5 dined out 2 days with adult beverages plus wine & cheesecake at spa
    10/21/17 = 166.5 dined out 2 days plus food day in office / no gain is good [joined Just Give Me 10 Days challenge (daily w/i)]
    10/28 = 164.5 very active week & watched CICO / reached October goal of 165
    11/04 = 163.0 wow, really surprised at this, daily fluctuations very up and down this week
    11/11 = 164.5 this is temporary b/c very high sodium yesterday
    11/18 = 162.0 big surprise, especially b/c I weigh myself daily and didn't see this all week
    11/25 = 163.0 no surprise after 2 no-logging-food days (parade day and Thanksgiving), just glad not worse
    12/02 = 161.0 Jingle Bell 5K day / 44:37 chip time & ave. pace 14:22 & very happy!
    12/09/17 = 158.5 surprised to say the least / first time in 10 years my weight is 1-5-anything! :love:
    12/16 = 158.0 no work parties or food days & stuck with CICO
    12/23 = 157.5 no "workouts" but shoveled snow & snowshoed, busy with Christmas preparations
    12/30 = 159.0 Christmas Day no food/beverages logged
    01/06/18 = 159.0 New Year's Eve hubby & I splurged on treats & beverages (at home), and I did not log...totally worth it!
    01/13 = 157.0 big surprise! Yesterday evening, walked in Frenzy on the Fox 5K in 47:26 & pace 15:19. Very happy with my time, wore layers of clothes in 10 degrees & NNW 12 mph wind, fun event.
    01/20 = 156.5
    01/27 = 156.5 maintaining / not a bad thing
    02/03 = sick / no weigh in
    02/10 = 152.5 unhealthy loss due to illness / I know weight will go back up & I'm totally fine with that
    02/17 = 153.0 thrilled with annual physical on 2/15/18: BP 110/68, pulse 64 and BMI 26.14 :star:
    02/24 = 154.0 little out of control last week, but at goal for the month
    03/03 = 155.5 oops / still lower than before I was sick
    03/10 = 153.5 back on track
    03/17 = 152.5
    03/24 = 153.0 evening snacks & two days straight of 8 hr seminars (+ lots of sitting)
    03/31 = 153.5 pre-10K spaghetti supper night before / Badger State Brewing 10K 1:30:28.82 and average pace 14:35 :smiley:
    04/07 = 154.5 ack ~ ate Easter candy most evenings
    04/14 = 153.5 Day 1 of record-setting blizzard ~ yuck! Followed by day 2 of blizzard, then snow day (no work / still shoveling & plowing) on Monday ~ in APRIL ~ yikes! :p
    04/21 = 153.5 after such weird week & daily weight fluctuations, happy to maintain
    04/28 = 152.0
    05/05 = 153.5 kinda stalled three months + feeling hungry more often ~ since w/i 10# of goal, changed MFP setting to lose 1/2 lb. per week & see how it goes
    05/12 = 153.5 ok with this ~ think changing my MFP setting, and having more net calories to play with, is agreeing with me ~ I'm not so hungry all the time
    05/19 = 154.0 drinks (2 margaritas) & dinner w/ BFF night before + enjoyed everything!
    05/26 = 153.0 Health Risk Assessment 5/15/18 ~ BMI 25.6 :star:
    06/02 = 153.0 basically in maintenance for now ~ I'll take it!
    06/09 = 152.5 Bellin Run 10K 1:28:12 split time 45:03 ave. pace 14:12 ~ beat goal of < 1:30 :star:
    06/16 = 152.0
    06/23 = 156.0 end of vacation week & lots of eating out
    06/30 = 155.5
    07/07 = 156.0 post-vacation w/i net calories not. so. much. Ack!
    07/14 = 154.5 prelogging & sticking w/ plan helps
    07/21 = 154.5 Packers 5K 44:50 ave pace 14:26 min/mile ~ beat goal < 45:00 :star:

“Start by doing what’s necessary, then what’s possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” Francis of Assisi