JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    MLS1582 wrote: »
    This is kind of a big update, but posting here really helps hold me accountable. I want you all to have an idea of what's going on, so that you can yell at me if I start slacking! Overall, the last week has gone REALLY well, and I want to keep it up!
    I live rural (no cell service, 45 min drive to nearest grocery - RURAL). Since Hubby got a new job in the city, we have a house there, as well (We'll consolidate and all live there at the end of this school year). For now, we spend weekends there. That means I'm only at the rural house from late Sun to early Fri. The only internet available there is satellite. It sucks and is wicked expensive, so I cancelled it. That means I only have access to MFP from school and from the new house. Most days, I'll pre-track dinner before I leave school and finalize everything the next morning and post my JFT here. I cannot use this as an excuse to quit logging or posting! This is me committing to sticking with it!

JFT - Saturday
    I did log everything, but it came out to about 1900 calories. It's still less than it would have been, had I not been logging.

JFT - Sunday
    1. Log everything (even if it means writing it on paper and updating here once I get to school in the morning)
    2. Keep it under 1400 calories

Just for today, I can make this work and keep my eating reasonable. Maybe tomorrow I'll gorge myself on stupid stuff and turn into a blimp, but Just For Today I'm going to make good choices.

Great Determination!!! Way To Go!!🌹👏👏
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Hi all I’m way behind but hope everyone is doing ok and I will try and catch up later.

I’ve had a rough few days. My sister had her scheduled double mastectomy with reconstruction on Friday. I stayed at my boyfriend’s place on Thursday night as he is quite close to the hospital and started Friday well with a walk 3.5 miles to be there for 7:30 (I figured I’d be sitting around for much of the day so may as well get some outside activity while I could do got up at 5:30 to squeeze it in). We waited hours and hours and she was eventually taken into theatre at around 2pm. I was on my own until she woke up around 6pm. Thereafter was a bit of a disaster as something had gone wrong and she only had one implant and was confused and upset and no one could answer any questions as the consultant had gone home.

It’s a very long story but to cut it short, she will hopefully be fixable cosmetically but will require more surgery further down the line. We will get results and hopefully an all-clear next monday.

We are all exhausted. I was there 16 hours Friday, 13 hours yesterday. My mother has been working herself into the ground looking after our kids, my niece who has disabilities got taken ill at one point yesterday, and I seem to have fallen out with my boyfriend who has not been the most supportive.

I’ve barely slept and eaten nothing but junk and I feel physically and emotionally wrecked. Can’t believe I have to go to work tomorrow. But all of that pales in comparison to what my sister is going through.

So all I can do is put my big girl pants on, try and get a good night’s sleep tonight and eat well and hydrate tomorrow so I can be as strong as possible. I will not get on the scales until I feel mentally stronger. I don’t want to know what damage I’ve done!

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. Lots of love to you all. Tomorrow is a new day xx

@Faebert OMGOODNESS... My darling Sister, I hope I could be there physically for you😱
    You, your sister, and your Mother deserve TLC. God bless your Mother. Your plate is beyond full and I give you Kudos for holding it together to the best of your ability. You are in my prayers for strength. I'm proud to call you SisterSister🌹🌟💝
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,097 Member
    Options
    KeriA wrote: »
    How did I miss this thread. It is just what I have been looking for all year. However it is nearer the end of the year and so I want to ask if you would mind me joining so late in the year? Also I am finally taking my yearly vacation next week and will be without WiFi for most of 9 days starting the end of next week. However I am working hard to continue to make progress this next week and while away.

Just a bit about my weight loss journey. I lost about 20 pounds on here when I 1st joined then hit an impossible wall. I did everything to get through it. I ate less. I exercised more and I did both. I changed up my diet and my exercise. All the things people recommend but they didn't work. It turned out that although I had set my loss for just 1 pound a week I was eating below my BMR and that was the problem. I lost my next 20 pounds by eating more. I took a break and got to my TDEE and stayed there before lowering but eating more than what I had when I lost the 1st 20 pounds. This was all during the economic downturn and I had a lot more time to exercise daily. Then I started getting job offers and went back to work until I had 2 on-call jobs. I gained the weight back with concentrating on jobs and having less time not to mention commutes and no constant schedule. I have been working at a real job for the last 2+ years that I love. I stopped the weight gain and thought I had it turned in the right direction. Then my scale stopped working and my new scale showed me back up so I have spent this month stopping the scale again and getting it going down yet again. I am back to where I generally weighed with my new scale but not to where I thought my recent low was. That is my weekly goal now.
    • So I am pretty good at logging.
    • I weigh daily. My weight fluctuates a lot.
    • My problem is getting in more exercise, (I go to aquafit 3 days a week)
    • upping water and
    • tweeking my meals. Eating healthier not just keeping the calories at my goal. For now I am eating less calories but plan to take a rest and get on a smaller deficit for the long run once I start to make progress losing.

Yeah anyone can join anytime! There will be a new thread for 2019 as well so it will run on to next year :)

Your goals sound good and well done you for getting through a plateau! I see many many people struggle with that!

Water is always my struggle! My food took alot of tweaking lol! I was always hungry even when eating 1200 calories, by eating healthier, lower calorie foods I found I could eat more and still be in my limit!
    I did a one week log of "eat what you like" and I could see what my most problematic foods were and where they really made the calories add up!

What other exercises were you wanting to do? And why do you feel you can't fit them. In?

I'm a mum of 3 girls 4, 2 and 7m so as you can imagine I lack time to exercise!

Welcome anyway!
    Ps it's always quiet on a Sunday!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Bex953172 I just got a glider for days I get back in the late fall and winter and it is dark, cold and rainy so walking isn't very inviting. Although aquafit has resistance work I am sure weight training will help. It seems to be a choice between making a healthy dinner and going to the gym with both of us working and commuting. Some weekends can be devoted to organizing meals for the week and others are busier. I was able to lose before by just lowering calories but now I have to be more careful. I eat alot of healthy food but have a few places I can improve.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    @Faebert, I'm sorry that your boyfriend hasn't been super supportive. :( But I'm glad you were able to be there for your sister. I hope that you get some good news!
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    Checking in from Sunday
    1. Feed cats. AM park run - 4 miles. Brush teeth. Morning meds. Tea! Log 1 item.
    2. FINALIZE AND SUBMIT ESSAY. Review weeks 9-10.
    3. Breast Cancer Awareness event - Grade Skills Essays.
    4. Grade character analysis essays. Meet with B.
    5. Find blog posts to comment on next week.
    6. Dinner: Shrimp! Write blog post.
    7. Input grades. Add to Reflection Responses. Add edit stories for CWG to Monday JFT. Add pack shoes to Monday JFT. Add upload music to Monday JFT. Add send in guidance requests for students with attitude concerns to Monday JFT.
    8. Prep Mon lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 4:50.

JFT Monday
    1. Rest day - no run. Pack lunch. Feed cats. Morning meds. Tea! Log 1 item. PACK SHOES.
    2. Review Week 9 plans and submit. Make coffee. Grade Skills essays. Grade character analysis essays. Edit stories for CWG. Download lesson materials; upload music and check list. Send in guidance requests for students with attitude concerns.
    3. Class 2-3: Research.
    4. Class 4 - Research.
    5. Parent calls for no prior contact AND for students with INCs and/or other concerns. Review semester plan. What is my purpose for each unit? Sketch out semester block.
    6. Update class websites. Write blog post.
    7. Strength 4:30. Zumba 5:30. Muse workshop. Put Plated recipe in database.
    8. Prep Tue lunch. Chop celery. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 4:50.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    February 2018: 173.6
    March 2018: 179.6
    July 2018: 189.6
    August 2018: 187.4
    Today: 188

Upcoming to-do:
    1. Develop 5PE mini-unit. Use after JC as a sponge; combine with challenge books. Maybe a comparison with another required text? Have students ask a parent or teacher what the most significant text they studied was, and then create a comparison between their challenge book and that text - which has more value and why? Possibly do the one-sheet as an assessment.
    2. Write next blog post. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check on #engchat on Mondays at 7?
    3. Keep track of medical stuffs. Dentist? Appt w D 10/22 9:20; McC 10/22 10:15. Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Sub already set up.
    4. Organize and grade narratives. Update parent group lists with NAMES. Note reply emails.
    5. Check on conference; follow up on seminar proposal. Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, creativity, responsibility, optimism - others? Can poetry unit be condensed?
    6. Return mascara to Walmart with receipt. Go to used bookstore; take bags-of-bags and look for Beauty (McKinley), Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman) and The Prince (tr. Tim Parks).
    7. Put jewelry away. Yikes! Reinforce patches on old pants.
    8. Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac.
    9. Make plan for classroom observations; ask other teachers about projects or lessons they feel confident about.
    10. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another.
    11. Convert lesson plans to unit format. Create rubric for one-pager.
    12. Design minibuttons with school logo, mascot, crest.
  • clicketykeys
    edited September 2018
    Options

Whoops. Doublepost XD
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    KeriA wrote: »
    How did I miss this thread. It is just what I have been looking for all year. However it is nearer the end of the year and so I want to ask if you would mind me joining so late in the year? Also I am finally taking my yearly vacation next week and will be without WiFi for most of 9 days starting the end of next week. However I am working hard to continue to make progress this next week and while away.

Just a bit about my weight loss journey. I lost about 20 pounds on here when I 1st joined then hit an impossible wall. I did everything to get through it. I ate less. I exercised more and I did both. I changed up my diet and my exercise. All the things people recommend but they didn't work. It turned out that although I had set my loss for just 1 pound a week I was eating below my BMR and that was the problem. I lost my next 20 pounds by eating more. I took a break and got to my TDEE and stayed there before lowering but eating more than what I had when I lost the 1st 20 pounds. This was all during the economic downturn and I had a lot more time to exercise daily. Then I started getting job offers and went back to work until I had 2 on-call jobs. I gained the weight back with concentrating on jobs and having less time not to mention commutes and no constant schedule. I have been working at a real job for the last 2+ years that I love. I stopped the weight gain and thought I had it turned in the right direction. Then my scale stopped working and my new scale showed me back up so I have spent this month stopping the scale again and getting it going down yet again. I am back to where I generally weighed with my new scale but not to where I thought my recent low was. That is my weekly goal now.
    • So I am pretty good at logging.
    • I weigh daily. My weight fluctuates a lot.
    • My problem is getting in more exercise, (I go to aquafit 3 days a week)
    • upping water and
    • tweeking my meals. Eating healthier not just keeping the calories at my goal. For now I am eating less calories but plan to take a rest and get on a smaller deficit for the long run once I start to make progress losing.

This happened with me as well - I was under eating and hit a plateau, then dropped weight quick after I ate more while also exercising. Metabolism slows if you don’t eat enough, but it is difficult for me to know when I am eating enough or overeating. 😑

I lost 20 lbs a few years ago with fitness pal and also tanked healthy eating due to a change with employment. Very frustrating how much our lifestyles don’t routinely support healthy behavior, so it is always a battle.
    I dont know if anyone has noticed but I have been feeling down the last few weeks. I think I came to realize a large part of the reason why.

All through my adolescence and young adult years I was an avid writer, poetry and prose. When I was laid off last October I started to dabble into writing again. I started revamping a story that I was working on several years ago. Then I got hired at SCB at the end of March and all of that went gone by the wayside. It's like I've lost all drive to write. I have so much downtime at work that could very easily be put to use writing but a lot of times I find myself staring at a blank screen. The blinking cursor mocking me at my lack of words and inspiration. I used to get so much joy from writing. From diving into a world that no one has seen before. That I haven't really even seen before. And now there's nothing. No colorful new worlds. No new characters chattering away in my ear, telling me their stories. No new first lines of stories running rampant through my head.

And that is starting to really take its toll on me. I have found myself yearning to fall back into the loving arms of the written word and nothing is happening. I'm just standing there on the fast track of life with nothing slowing me down. Nothing giving my mind the ease it needs to create the basis, the idea of a new story in my mind. There is just nothing there. It's really bringing me down.

I know that it's not the only thing that's been weighing on me but I think it may be a large part of it. I know that this has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss but it has been silently weighing on my heart for several months and I needed to get it out.

Downtime isn’t the same as fostering creativity, or being in the headspace to create. Never beat yourself up because you have “time” to write, as tempting as it is to do so. We cannot switch on and off on command as much as this industrial complex would like.

I feel the same way about art, and I have been trying to grope my way along to finding inspiration again. It sits there in the shadows - a hole where part of the soul used to be. I wish I knew why this happens to us.

Yet, sometimes a bit of odd stress can stimulate creativity. When I quit my job, in a very bizarre and highly emotionally charged environment, I maniacally wrote a short story from when I got home until 3 am every day for a week, and I don’t even consider myself a writer!

Unpleasant experiences can make fantasizing about stories in other places much more attractive. 😆
  • Bex953172
    Options
    @HEGoddard0928 so sorry you feel the way you do. I have no idea how to write and my poems, well, let's not go there!

I don't know if it's the same but you know song writers? They write songs about how they feel? Can that work the same with books?
    Could you write a story about someone with writers block?
    I dunno I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    It's write what a PP said, even though you have time you cant just switch from work mode to writing mode in an instant.

Something will come, I was always told if you stop looking then you'll find it.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    @mytime6630 where you at? Are you away still for the reunion! I miss youuuu
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Thought this might be helpful. First-time participant!

JFT (9-24-18):
    - meditate
    - put away laundry
    - drink 64oz water
    - stay in the green

Pretty simplistic, but if I put the basics down in writing then it might help. 😊

Simple is always good lol!
    I always start basic then build up!

Ive got to put laundry away too. I'm forever putting away laundry!