JUST FOR TODAY ....... One day at a time ..... Daily Commitment Thread for 2018

Options

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack! :mrgreen: I'm sorry I've been MIA but I've been struggling with a few things and just needed to work through them. Plus, we've had company for about 6 days (one of Tim's brothers). Just have been offline for the most part.

I'm 220 posts behind on page 414 still (11 pages!!!), so I thought I'd quickly enter my goals for tomorrow and then I can slowly try to catch up over the next few days.

I've missed you guys! I hope you are all doing well. I think of you every single day!

Yesterday, I got to take my first walk around the block since the hip repair. That felt AWESOME! Was a beautiful autumn day and the sky was so blue. I felt so happy! I am to slowly work up to a mile and not go more than a mile for now.

Today, I went and got my hair cut really short. I was freaking out when she started cutting, but I am ready for something different. I've had way too much time to sit here feeling sorry for myself, getting depressed and deciding I hate myself every time I look in the mirror. So, I decided to cut my hair for a "fresh start".

I am also on Day 6 of no dairy. That's a tough one since I live in Wisconsin, the Dairy state! I love cheese, cottage cheese, ice cream, yogurt, etc. Anyway, I was told by a doctor a few years ago that I am very sensitive to cow's milk and should stop consuming it. Of course, I didn't listen....why would I? I know everything, you know...just ask me! :mrgreen: The good news is, after 6 days I have noticed a few changes already. I have not been waking up with headaches; my sinuses are a bit clearer; heartburn is better; tummy feels better. So, I'm going to keep going and see if it is a fluke or if I continue feeling better. Hoping if I eliminate one thing at a time, that it won't seem so intimidating. I plan to eliminate added sugar next but that's a few weeks or month(s) down the road.

My sweet husband is starting to do a little better. I think having his brother, Joe, come visit this past week has helped him deal with his grief over their brother, Pete. I'm so grateful for that. I really didn't know how to help him, and I think Joe is exactly what he needed. I wish he didn't live so far away from us.

Well, now that I've written a novel...

Just for Tomorrow / Tuesday
    1. Journal every bite
    2. 64 oz of water
    3. 5 fruits/veggies
    4. Walk around the block
    5. Dairy free
    6. 15 minutes self care
    7. 15 minutes digital declutter
    8. Gratitude Journal / Inspirational Reading / Sleeping by 10:30

I'll check back in later after I've gotten caught up on all the posts. :heart:

So happy to see you back! And so glad you are able to walk a little after your hip repair! I bet that feels so good, after being in pain.
    I am glad your husbands brother was there to visit. You are right, there is nothing you can say or do to help your husband. But I am sure having his brother there is a great help. When I lost one of my siblings, my husband felt so helpless. Time heals, but it does take time. Hugs to you all!
    And good for you giving up dairy. My good friend says she is the same way ... she used to get sinus problems all the time. She now drinks almond milk, and has no more sinus problems, and feels so much better. There are so many dairy subsitutues you can use!
    But .... happy to see you back. We missed you!
  • mytime6630
    Options
    jeschepp wrote: »
    Hi all, this will be a quick one because it is bedtime! Got to go clothes shopping really for the first time since this health journey. I am down two pant sizes! And down a shirt size! It felt really good to pick up the smaller sizes and have them fit comfortably!

y

Great job --- 2 pants sizes! I bet that does feel really good! So proud of you!
  • mytime6630
    Options
    My day has been awful. I have been eating my feelings. I hate everything. Well, not everything. Just lots of things. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go have some vodka.

LOL!!! Vodka sounds like just the thing to have ... especially with Crystal lite! :D
  • mytime6630
    Options
    \

Hugs to you. Hope things turn around and your day is better today. <3
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    @Snowflake1968 Originally I used MFP then when I plateaued I started finding out about BMR, TDEE, and NEAT and yes I used different calculators. I use an excel spreadsheet too so I can see how this is working. I don't think about it as much now. I just see what calorie goal works best. If I am not losing I adjust. But when I started to eat more and needed to estimate my maintenance level I needed to find an estimate by using a TDEE calculator. At that time I was exercising about an hour a day. Now I am not able to do that so my metabolism probably slowed down. All these are just estimates even the one on MFP. I don't think it is just a numbers game. I think it is also what you eat. Right now I am concentrating on finding that sweet spot with my new scale and just lost another half pound.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    JFT M 9/24
    Stick to the plan of staying on my calorie goal. (not sure yet about that but I avoided the coworker's birthday cake
    Already knew Aquafit was out just tried to get as many steps in as possible. We need to get ready for our trip.
    Get things we need to pack, do some packing and pay the bills so that is done before we leave
    Get things at work ready so I can be gone
    Try to drink more water.

JFT 9/25 tomorrow
    Drink my tea up by lunch so I can drink more water.
    Stick to my calorie goal
    make progress getting ready
    don't forget my appointment after work
    find out my daughter's work schedule to see when she can give us a ride

This week is not typical!
  • tickingp0ny
    tickingp0ny Posts: 12 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thought this might be helpful. First-time participant!

JFT (9-24-18):
    - meditate
    - put away laundry
    - drink 64oz water
    - stay in the green

Pretty simplistic, but if I put the basics down in writing then it might help. 😊

Laundry almost happened...but then I fell asleep. .-. Everything else, though--check!

JFT (9-25-18):
    - LAUNDRY
    - stay in the green
    - work out a little (not just walking)
    - actually eat some of the snacking peppers I bought
    - get ahead on homework?
    - pick up my pen & drawing tablet
  • bookmeister86
    bookmeister86 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Been off this for a little while, just feeling very low in motivation and things have got a little on top of me.

Work is getting stupidly busy again and I'm feeling trapped because I'm not getting anywhere with my career planning. I have thought several times about chucking my job, in order to restore my mental sanity and give myself a bit of space to actually think and apply for jobs. We could manage for a little while if I did. But I'm not sure it's a good idea overall. I haven't been especially productive on my 'career planning' days off so I'm not sure having lots more of them would help much. And I'm not sure I would look that good to potential employers, it would look like I couldn't hack the pressure (which is true). Plus on many days I do still like my job... So it is a bit of a dilemma.

Have also been feeling a bit despairing about what's going on in politics in the country. It feels like the country is going to hell in a handbasket and there is nothing I can do about it. I'm sure the answer to this is to stop worrying about things I can't control, but it is very difficult to do this when the stuff that's going on is very likely to directly affect me. My boyfriend is French and works for a big European company that is very likely to relocate abroad if a messy Brexit goes ahead. For example, if there is a 'no deal' Brexit, they would definitely move and his right to stay in the country would disappear overnight (though I think it's unlikely that the Government wouldn't do something to rectify those rights quickly, it would be chaos otherwise as there are 3 million EU citizens in the UK).

This uncertainty is messing with the career planning I mentioned above as it makes me feel that there is no point in making plans until we know what the h*ll is going to happen with his job and immigration status.

It's also making me feel like I really have to put effort into my French as who knows, I might have to move there in six months. But I feel like I have no energy to do that on top of everything else. And I'm worried because I'm starting a proper exam course in a week and have done very little for it, and the last time I did an intensive French course I had to give up because I couldn't cope with doing it on top of work. And work is no better now than it was then.

Anyway, sorry for the massive moan. I'm going to stop feeling sorry for myself now as this won't help anything!

I am totally in for the 'getting a*se moving for Thanksgiving' challenge. Thanksgiving doesn't really mean much for me :smile: But I want to lose 11.5 lb by the end of the year, so Thanksgiving will be a good marker to aim for. By that time I should be nearly there (particularly seeing as December is always tricky for weight loss). So let's say I'll aim for 8lb loss at least (156 weight).

Simple goals for today:

- Log everything I eat
    - Be in the green
    - No alcohol
    - Spend some time on career planning
    - Do a little work on French
    - Make a plan for when I'm going to do French
    - Do exercise DVD
    - DO NOT READ THE NEWS

You sound like you just need a hug and a good cry! I agree with you that trying to find another job while unemployed isn't the ideal situation. I have always heard that it's easier to find a job when you are employed. I hope that you can do something about the stress at your current job though, this much stress isn't healthy for anyone.

I don't read the news anymore, haven't for years because it's all so depressing. It sounds like you need to take a break from it for a bit.

Hugs to you.

Thank you for this. I will work on the stress... I think it is about learning to give less of a damn about not delivering and doing stuff less well than I would like.

Did I mention, I've bought myself a DIY foot spa? :smile: Thought that could be a nice constructive way to wind down and de stress. I got the idea from Queer Eye, where they got all these burly firemen to de-stress by having a foot spa.

(This puts things into perspective a bit - nobody lives or dies because of my work, at least not directly!)
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    JFT Tuesday
    1. AM speed run: 12 laps, aim for <25 m. Feed cats. Flexibility routine. Shower. Morning meds. Tea!
    2. Meeting during planning. Write blog post. FIX LESSON PLANS. Preview week 10. Parent calls for students with significant missing work and/or absences.
    3. Class 2-3: Research. Grade Skills essays. Conference on one-pagers.
    4. Class 4: Research. Grade analysis reports.
    5. Review assessments. GRADE PRESENTATIONS. What is my purpose for each unit? Review semester block. Plan for absence on 22.
    6. Update class websites. WRITE BLOG POST.
    7. Zumba 5:30. Writing group 7:00. Put Plated recipe in database. Put 'pack shoes' on Wednesday JFT.
    8. Prep Wed lunch: Saag. Drain cheese. Chop celery. Weigh and log. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. In bed by 8:45; devices off by 9:00; alarm set for 4:50.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    February 2018: 173.6
    March 2018: 179.6
    July 2018: 189.6
    August 2018: 187.4
    Today: 191.2

Upcoming to-do:
    1. Develop 5PE mini-unit. Use after JC as a sponge; combine with challenge books. Maybe a comparison with another required text? Have students ask a parent or teacher what the most significant text they studied was, and then create a comparison between their challenge book and that text - which has more value and why? Possibly do the one-sheet as an assessment.
    2. Write next blog post. Comment on 3 posts each week -Tu Th Sun? Check on #engchat on Mondays at 7?
    3. Keep track of medical stuffs. Dentist? Appt w D 10/22 9:20; McC 10/22 10:15. Also Feb 7 9:30 w Ac Int. Sub already set up.
    4. Organize and grade narratives. Update parent group lists with NAMES. Note reply emails.
    5. Check on conference; follow up on seminar proposal. Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage - others? Can poetry unit be condensed?
    6. Return mascara to Walmart with receipt. Go to used bookstore; take bags-of-bags and look for Beauty (McKinley), Design for How People Learn (Julie Dirksen), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman) and The Prince (tr. Tim Parks).
    7. Put jewelry away. Yikes! Reinforce patches on old pants.
    8. Go to Mac store and see if they can retrieve the files off the iMac.
    9. Make plan for classroom observations; ask other teachers about projects or lessons they feel confident about.
    10. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another.
    11. Convert lesson plans to unit format. Create rubric for one-pager.
    12. Design minibuttons with school logo, mascot, crest.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,797 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack! :mrgreen: I'm sorry I've been MIA but I've been struggling with a few things and just needed to work through them. Plus, we've had company for about 6 days (one of Tim's brothers). Just have been offline for the most part.

I'm 220 posts behind on page 414 still (11 pages!!!), so I thought I'd quickly enter my goals for tomorrow and then I can slowly try to catch up over the next few days.

I've missed you guys! I hope you are all doing well. I think of you every single day!

Yesterday, I got to take my first walk around the block since the hip repair. That felt AWESOME! Was a beautiful autumn day and the sky was so blue. I felt so happy! I am to slowly work up to a mile and not go more than a mile for now.

Today, I went and got my hair cut really short. I was freaking out when she started cutting, but I am ready for something different. I've had way too much time to sit here feeling sorry for myself, getting depressed and deciding I hate myself every time I look in the mirror. So, I decided to cut my hair for a "fresh start".

I am also on Day 6 of no dairy. That's a tough one since I live in Wisconsin, the Dairy state! I love cheese, cottage cheese, ice cream, yogurt, etc. Anyway, I was told by a doctor a few years ago that I am very sensitive to cow's milk and should stop consuming it. Of course, I didn't listen....why would I? I know everything, you know...just ask me! :mrgreen: The good news is, after 6 days I have noticed a few changes already. I have not been waking up with headaches; my sinuses are a bit clearer; heartburn is better; tummy feels better. So, I'm going to keep going and see if it is a fluke or if I continue feeling better. Hoping if I eliminate one thing at a time, that it won't seem so intimidating. I plan to eliminate added sugar next but that's a few weeks or month(s) down the road.

My sweet husband is starting to do a little better. I think having his brother, Joe, come visit this past week has helped him deal with his grief over their brother, Pete. I'm so grateful for that. I really didn't know how to help him, and I think Joe is exactly what he needed. I wish he didn't live so far away from us.

Well, now that I've written a novel...

Just for Tomorrow / Tuesday
    1. Journal every bite
    2. 64 oz of water
    3. 5 fruits/veggies
    4. Walk around the block
    5. Dairy free
    6. 15 minutes self care
    7. 15 minutes digital declutter
    8. Gratitude Journal / Inspirational Reading / Sleeping by 10:30

I'll check back in later after I've gotten caught up on all the posts. :heart:

Welcome back!!!!! That's great that you are getting out for a little walk, it must feel incredible. Are you in much pain still? I don't know how you can give up Dairy I don't drink milk, but the cheese! Oh man, the Cheese! Good luck to you.
  • maryrobinson40
    maryrobinson40 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone🙋
    JFT
    UP AND AT IT!
    DETERMINED TO GET MY WORKOUT...SO FAR I'VE MANAGED 2 THIRTY MINUTE INTERVALS OF EXERCISE...🙌😀