Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Commentary: What Thin People Don't Get About Dieting

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If over weight/obesity is not a metabolic disorder why are MD's telling people to lose weight? Are they all quacks now?

A metabolic disorder would mean that something isn't working right...ie you have something going on which is resulting in metabolic issues like hypo or hyperthyroidism...those are metabolic disorders.

Being overweight can be unhealthy and lead to any number of health issues and increase one's risk of health issues...but being overweight isn't a metabolic disorder...for most people it is a result of eating well beyond what is necessary, not something wrong with their metabolism.

Bingo. We become obese because something isn't working right so at least obesity is due to a metabolic disorder. I agree with that.

No, it's not a metabolic disorder but rather a maladaptive response in present context. It could be a metabolic disorder in some cases but in most cases it's due to lifestyle and behavioural choices that we make everyday. Eating more than you burn is not a metabolic disorder but the urge to eat to store excess energy is something that we have evolved to do and is now maladaptive.

Good explanation.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    kayla25mfp wrote: »
    I am at the higher side of a healthy BMI, and yet, when I’ve refused junk, carefully portioned out food, talked about the struggles of eating healthy, or worked out I’ve had people tell me that I didn’t need to because I wasn’t fat or was already skinny. I feel bad for misunderstood Nicky who chooses moderation when it comes to food. Nicky might notice those Hershey kisses and very much want ALL of them but realize that it would not be a healthy choice to do that so instead Nicky takes one and has some water and walks around a bit. A lot of the time people that are “naturally skinny” make the hard choices a lot of the time.

It doesn't help that practically everyone has forgotten what skinny actually looks like these days. I have a BMI of 22 with ~10% body fat and people tell me all the time how skinny I am. Droid, I am smack-dab in the middle of the healthy weight range.

I think you might be right, I did a tour of Bosnia years ago and there was no fast food there and people were thin. A typical woman would be around 5'6" 115lbs and a typical man about 5'9" a 155lbs I would hazard to guess. When I came back to Canada I was struck by the difference right away.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    If over weight/obesity is not a metabolic disorder why are MD's telling people to lose weight? Are they all quacks now?

A metabolic disorder would mean that something isn't working right...ie you have something going on which is resulting in metabolic issues like hypo or hyperthyroidism...those are metabolic disorders.

Being overweight can be unhealthy and lead to any number of health issues and increase one's risk of health issues...but being overweight isn't a metabolic disorder...for most people it is a result of eating well beyond what is necessary, not something wrong with their metabolism.

Bingo. We become obese because something isn't working right so at least obesity is due to a metabolic disorder. I agree with that.

It amazes me that you can take a post that literally says being overweight is not a metabolic disorder, and somehow read it as saying the opposite.

For the most part, people become obese because they eat too much. That's it, end of story.
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

It amazes me that you can take a post that literally says being overweight is not a metabolic disorder, and somehow read it as saying the opposite.

For the most part, people become obese because they eat too much. That's it, end of story.

We are all able to understand the eating too much part. That fact however does not answer the question of WHY we eat too much. The HOW we become obese is known and the least common denominator of weight loss it to learn WHY.

Sure counting calories is a good stop gap measure while we answer the WHY question.

It was when I realized I was a carb addict that did not want to give up the addiction that the WHY of my obesity and health wreck became clear in my mind. Addictions I learned are not easy to address but at age 63 I knew my time to change may be too late but I gave it a shoot starting Oct 2014 and now over three years I am reaping the health benefits and have maintained a 50 pound loss for nearly three years by just cutting out processed foods that resolved my processed carb cravings.

Everyone that is obese has a major WHY to answer. I did not have to learn what lead to my carb addiction forming sometime in the past. I just had to stop feeding the addiction Oct 2014 when I realized I was an addict. Staying out of my coffin as long as possible was my driving force. I decided to go for Life over a certain premature Death.

For 40 years of yo-yoing diets I knew HOW I kept having 100%+ regains after each weight loss. Long term success came only after I understood Why I had 100%+ regains for the past 40 years.

Most 8 year old kids understand CICO. Being slow I guess I was 63 and dying before I understood Why I was gorging out of control. Yes I got lucky because just cutting out processed foods contain sugar and any form of any grain fixed my over eating disorder.

Best of success to each in answerer his or her WHY do I overeat question.

Ok, you are conflating a couple things here, the weight controls vice understanding root causes, self-knowledge if you will, about why one becomes obese in the first place and tends to return to that state after the diet is done. I'm going to agree that it will help, but the key point isn't the journey to self-discovery but rather the behavioural change. We've already done this in psychology and we know that behaviours require behavioural changes independent of understanding, or believing we understand, the underlying cause. I can understand all my triggers that cause me to overeat, and all the foods I love to eat but that doesn't lose a single pound until I find a way to change the behaviours of overeating. In fact, I don't even have to know the reasons why because they are probably just stories I'm telling myself anyway.

Bottom line, you only need to address the behaviours, not get into the existential, to affect weight loss and maintenance thereof. Irrespective of your own experience, which certainly colours your views, the vast majority of people only need to understand the mechanism of proper diet and exercise and don't need to worry about why daddy didn't love them.

Since you posted the same thoughts as I posted above I assume we are in agreement?

Some that have a slow leaking car tire go the band aid route and add some air daily. Others find the cause of the leak and address it and move on with life.

I find thinking about what food I am going to eat and how much of it I am going to eat as a form of bondage that gets in the way of longevity plans. Eating all that I want when I want it is my view of food freedom. Yes I did have to decide one time to address the cause of my overeating.

To cut out highly processed foods containing sugar and all forms of all grains came in the way of a hunch so I can not personally claim I fixed my overeating issue on my own. I just acted on this hunch that came to me. Actually the hunch was if I wanted to avoid starting Enbrel injections for pain management then to just act on the hunch. Weight control was not even part of the hunch. I am thankful my mind came up with the solution that worked to start improving my health/health markers.

What thin people people do not get about dieting is not a concern of mine because I gave up dieting as of Oct 2014 for life but I do try to walk at least a quarter of a mile daily but due to the continuing ice and snow I have been off track on walking. As you understand by now when I stopped dieting I also stopped thinking exercise was not the best for long term weight. At my age I understand my ability to exercise may become less and less over the next 40-50 years. I am pro exercise for health reasons but just not to lose excess weight because it is just a band aid for true overeating issues. Controlling CI in a more automated fashion is possible in my view and personal experience. Controlling CO can be more of a roll of the dice.

We are in agreement for the most part on this point, yes. However, I just don't believe that most people require any special knowledge of their underlying reasons, although it could help in some situations. Your case is somewhat different, as well, due to your underlying medical condition.

In the end, education is always the best thing but behavioural change is the most immediate for most.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
This discussion has been closed.