Should i buy a treadmill?

Options
I am thinking about buying a treadmill because I am from Wisconsin and I cant run outside during the winter. I do have a bike but i have been running lately and really enjoy it and I prefer to use a treadmill in my own home rather than the gym so what do you think should I get one?

Replies

• Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your mind is already made up.

What's stopping you?

Or are you waiting for everyone to tell you to do the very same thing you want to do?

Oh and, :flowerforyou:
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about buying a treadmill because I am from Wisconsin and I cant run outside during the winter. I do have a bike but i have been running lately and really enjoy it and I prefer to use a treadmill in my own home rather than the gym so what do you think should I get one?

If your diet is not in check, eg, you are eating too much food then no, you can't out exercise poor caloric intake.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Can't or don't want to? :happy:

I bought a treadmill a number of years ago and got a great deal of value from it. The last few years I've found myself running outside pretty much all year 'round (and it will hit -40 where I live) and the treadmill doesn't get a lot of use.

Having a treadmill at home offers a great deal of convenience and not everyone is as crazy as Canadians. If you honestly think you'll use it go for it. One piece of advice, however, is to get the best one you can afford....there are lots of poorly made cheap ones out there that, assuming you actually use it regularly, won't last very long.
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories a day and get 80 grams of protein i think my diet is okay
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    true i just need to do it now
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    I found one at walmart thats around $300 it has great reviews
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I would recommend above 80g of protein, personally.
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    for someone that is only 129lbs and 5'1 isnt above 80 a little bit to much? I mean some days I do get over 90 and i feel great .
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I usually recommend 1 lb per bodyweight (lbs).

But thats for weight lifters.

But realistically you should start lifting weights anyway if you want to improve body composition.
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    I have been lifiting weights too know it sound bad but i only lift 20lbs im wimpy but its better than nothing i guess
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    ritchie---the post is about treadmills not calorie and protein intake......

OP: if you feel getting a treadmill will help you, I say go for it. We bought one and it has been quite helpful on crappy weather days.

We don't live in Canada. :laugh:
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

OP: if you feel getting a treadmill will help you, I say go for it. We bought one and it has been quite helpful on crappy weather days.

? He mentioned his protein intake. It is important for anyone who is talking about fitness an exercise..
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    im a she ....
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

I have a treadmill, it is a semi-commercial one, I have had it for a number of years due to being unable to run outdoors for various reasons, I used to use it a hell of a lot!

Nowadays, those various reasons why I was unable to train outdoors have cleared up and I can now run outside, however, if the weather is atrocious - especially in the winter here, or I want to do interval training, I still use my trusty treadmill :heart:

If you are going to buy one, ensure it can go at a fair old speed, mine goes up to 20kph. The reason for this is, if you run at a speed of, say 10kph all the time normally and then you go and purchase a treadmill which has a maximum speed of 10kph, you will be using that treadmill at its maximum all of the time, this will wear it out very quickly. However, if you purchase a treadmill that has a maximum speed of say, 20kph, you running on it at 10kph will only mean the treadmill is running at 50% of its capacity, it will last a lot longer and you will also be able to do faster sessions on it if you desire.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options

? He mentioned his protein intake. It is important for anyone who is talking about fitness an exercise..

Richie she only did that because you brought up dietary stuff in the first place.

Why do people not stick to the question the OP asks in the first place, why does it nearly always go back to the same stuff :frown:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Only after you started mentioning calories etc. The OP is about treadmills.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The best thing I ever did for my new healthier lifestyle was to purchase a treadmill. I worked out at my company gym on the treadmill consistenly for a month or so and when I knew that I was going to keep it up I purchased one. I tried it out in the store, I walked on it and ran and tried the inclines, etc before purchasing. Having it set up in my house in front of the television gives me no excuse to not exercise.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Because people use MyFitnessPal to track calories, and are here for weight loss (99% of users) - So if that person is here for fat loss, he is buying a treadmill for fat loss. If his diet is not in check, he will not achieve fat loss, whether he has a treadmill or not.

That is why it comes back to it, because you people are obsessed with cardio for a weight loss tool.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    u can have mine! im using it as a clothes storage rack! LOL...collecting dust....I prefer to do sports and be outside then on it....JMO
  • xXWisconsin
    Options
    okay my diet is in check and i am a she not a he get it right and im a girl i dont want to be a body builder sure i dont want flubby arms but i dont want to have huge muscles that are noticeable when ever i walk out my front door